BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 105

2010-09-09 11:35 PM
in reply to: #3090551

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!!
jgerbodegrant - 2010-09-09 9:43 PM Thanks all.  Due to FHA, we made need to push out the date of the closing a few days....we'll see.

I have a sprint on Saturday...my head isn't in it at all.  I'm going to give it my best and hopefully not come in DFL in my age group.  Legs are feeling pretty good...but they should be considering I have had zero time this week to train. 

Congrats on the house

Dirk- Congrats on 23 years!

Glad I'm not the only one whose training has been non-existant lately. But I'm proud to report that I have started my comeback. After 2 weekends out of town, going back to work, and having my running partner cancel on me twice (hard to motivate myself to run alone for the long runs...yeah, I know, I know) I was finally able to make it to my masters class last night. Felt great! Looking to do a 5 mile run & OWS group swim Sat morning and a group bike ride Sun morning.

Hopefully, I'll be able to settle back into a routine and get ready for my last 2 tris. Not thrilled about doing the Sept 23rd one because of this gap in my training, but I'll get through it (not finishing DFL may be a short term motivator over the next couple weeks) . Looking to enjoy the Oly in Oct.

Here is a pic of my son at my brother's wedding last weekend. He was the ring bearer. And a pic of my dad and I from the 5K we did back in July.

(5k.jpg)

(mateo wedding.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
5k.jpg (25KB - 3 downloads)
mateo wedding.jpg (61KB - 4 downloads)

2010-09-10 7:23 AM
in reply to: #3088089

User image

Master
Baltimore
jgerbodegrant - 2010-09-08 6:32 PM WE GOT THE HOOUUUUUUSE!!!  Super excited.  We close October 4th!

David...love those pictures.  The last one especially.  It reminds me of one of my favorite local photographers, Philip Case Cohen.

http://philipcasecohen.com/ 

Still waiting for the house pron....

Getting familiar with my power meter still.  In searching for Mac software I found Raceday/Apollo from Physfarm.  The guy who wrote my 2 favorite tri books - Scientific Training for Triathletes and now The Triathlete's guide to Training with Power, Dr. Phil Skiba wrote all the algorithms that go into it.  He updated Coggan's power calculations (norm power and TSS) based on the most recent literature and understanding of the human body as a system.  He calls them xPower and Bikescore.  His software also calculates the same for running and swimming (all based of critical paces you determine through periodic testing).  So his software automatically uses my GPS data for pace, my weight, and the elevation changes to calculate running power, your normalized running power, normalized pace, intensity factor, and a Runscore (same as the Bikescore/TSS).  Swimming is a bit more laborious - you have to enter all your set times/rest times and it makes the calcs. 

The real highlight of the software though (and any ChemE's out there will get this from your Modeling, Dynamics and Controls class) is to use all that data, your critical speed/pace to model current and future training in how it will affect your body, going so far as to be able to predict raceday performance, the optimal time for key workouts, and the drop dead date for taper (i.e. after this date, your workout will hurt raceday performance).  Since everybody is different, you do a continuous series of mini tests and the model compares your predicted performance to actual performance and learns and corrects itself (the fitness and fatigue time constants and gains).

The liberal arts majors out there are probably saying how over complicated this is, how isn't necessary, that if you want to get faster just train.  For the engineers/scientists, it's your dream come true.  My apologies for making fun of liberal arts majors, it's what engineers do best.
2010-09-10 9:16 AM
in reply to: #3090860

User image

Champion
jsiegs - 2010-09-10 6:23 AM

jgerbodegrant - 2010-09-08 6:32 PM WE GOT THE HOOUUUUUUSE!!! Super excited. We close October 4th!

David...love those pictures. The last one especially. It reminds me of one of my favorite local photographers, Philip Case Cohen.

http://philipcasecohen.com/

Still waiting for the house pron....

Getting familiar with my power meter still. In searching for Mac software I found Raceday/Apollo from Physfarm. The guy who wrote my 2 favorite tri books - Scientific Training for Triathletes and now The Triathlete's guide to Training with Power, Dr. Phil Skiba wrote all the algorithms that go into it. He updated Coggan's power calculations (norm power and TSS) based on the most recent literature and understanding of the human body as a system. He calls them xPower and Bikescore. His software also calculates the same for running and swimming (all based of critical paces you determine through periodic testing). So his software automatically uses my GPS data for pace, my weight, and the elevation changes to calculate running power, your normalized running power, normalized pace, intensity factor, and a Runscore (same as the Bikescore/TSS). Swimming is a bit more laborious - you have to enter all your set times/rest times and it makes the calcs.

The real highlight of the software though (and any ChemE's out there will get this from your Modeling, Dynamics and Controls class) is to use all that data, your critical speed/pace to model current and future training in how it will affect your body, going so far as to be able to predict raceday performance, the optimal time for key workouts, and the drop dead date for taper (i.e. after this date, your workout will hurt raceday performance). Since everybody is different, you do a continuous series of mini tests and the model compares your predicted performance to actual performance and learns and corrects itself (the fitness and fatigue time constants and gains).

The liberal arts majors out there are probably saying how over complicated this is, how isn't necessary, that if you want to get faster just train. For the engineers/scientists, it's your dream come true. My apologies for making fun of liberal arts majors, it's what engineers do best.

Its ok, i understand you guys are scared of going out in public, so you need to hide behind the numbers;-)

On the tri front, i have another week of solid training and then a 8 day taper into my last race of the year, deer creek fall challenge HIM. I've had some nasty luck with this race in the past (in two attempts i have yet to finish). So this year looking for some redemption.
Swim is coming along well, hopefully will be sub 25 for that, and would love to see sub 4:30 overall if the weather works out alright.
2010-09-10 12:21 PM
in reply to: #2770346

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
So, my tri for tomorrow was postponed due to the fire in BoulderCry  J- I now know exactly how you felt when your race was cancelled - I worked sooooo hard.  Anyways the new tentative date I won't be able to make. However, I found a new race in Denver (Crescent Moon tri) for next weekend and signed up for that - the bike portion is a lot less (only 12 miles) but I am not exactly complaining!  In the long run it will work out - just out the $90 in registration fees for the Boulder tri, luckily I was able to transfer my wet suit rental to the new weekend.
2010-09-10 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3091600

User image

Champion
heres a little of whats going on out in boulder: http://www.flickr.com/photos/artofthepresent/sets/72157624785815895...

my g/f lives there and she said its a mess right now, making training hard and she is not able to get out to coach right now.
2010-09-11 12:51 PM
in reply to: #3091612

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
those are some impressive photos David!  We know quite a few people in Boulder and a friend's of mines uncle lost his house.  pretty scarry - a couple of days ago they thought the fire might actually go into the town.

2010-09-11 8:26 PM
in reply to: #3091600

User image

robingray_260 - 2010-09-10 8:21 AM So, my tri for tomorrow was postponed due to the fire in BoulderCry  J- I now know exactly how you felt when your race was cancelled - I worked sooooo hard.  Anyways the new tentative date I won't be able to make. However, I found a new race in Denver (Crescent Moon tri) for next weekend and signed up for that - the bike portion is a lot less (only 12 miles) but I am not exactly complaining!  In the long run it will work out - just out the $90 in registration fees for the Boulder tri, luckily I was able to transfer my wet suit rental to the new weekend.

I think yours may hurt more since you weren't eligible for a refund.  Sorry to hear, but I suppose there are more important issues than the actual race going on in Boulder.
2010-09-11 8:32 PM

User image

So I made it through my first real week of running again.  Just a simple 4 miles on Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri.  Biked about 40 today, and will run long tomorrow.  Probably about 10+

I just got a pair of zoot recovery tights which I'm wearing now.  When I took them out of the package, I was wondering how on earth I was going to fit in them.  They looked like it was made for a 6 year old...but sure enough, it stretches perfectly.  A bit of a pain to get them on though.

Next week is going to be tough though.  My friend is getting married and I'm one of his groomsmen.  So we have all the rehersal, ceremony, reception, then we're all going to a beach house for a few days afterwards. 
2010-09-12 7:36 AM
in reply to: #3093142

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
tri808 - 2010-09-11 9:32 PM So I made it through my first real week of running again.  Just a simple 4 miles on Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri.  Biked about 40 today, and will run long tomorrow.  Probably about 10+

I just got a pair of zoot recovery tights which I'm wearing now.  When I took them out of the package, I was wondering how on earth I was going to fit in them.  They looked like it was made for a 6 year old...but sure enough, it stretches perfectly.  A bit of a pain to get them on though.

Next week is going to be tough though.  My friend is getting married and I'm one of his groomsmen.  So we have all the rehersal, ceremony, reception, then we're all going to a beach house for a few days afterwards. 

Let me know how those tights work out for you.  I have considered buying some of them but didn't want to spend money on something that might not work.  As far as the sizing, when I was power lifting I wore bench shirts that looked like a 6 year old could wear it.  The material used to make them stretches but not at all very much.  The shirt I wore required 2 men to help me put it on and left bruises along any seams and in my armpits.  It was worth it though because it would add 10-15 lbs. to my bench.

2010-09-13 6:40 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Hi everyone.  I signed up for a local 10k race on Oct 3.  I went out last week to check out the course and was unpleasantly surprised to find that it starts with a 3.5 km long slow uphill.    Of course, it also ends with a long 3.5 km downhill.   Any advice on how to attack this in a race?  Note: peak elevation is about 60 meters.

Edited by dcon 2010-09-13 6:41 PM

(course profile.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
course profile.JPG (17KB - 6 downloads)
2010-09-13 8:11 PM
in reply to: #3096549

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
dcon - 2010-09-13 7:40 PM Hi everyone.  I signed up for a local 10k race on Oct 3.  I went out last week to check out the course and was unpleasantly surprised to find that it starts with a 3.5 km long slow uphill.    Of course, it also ends with a long 3.5 km downhill.   Any advice on how to attack this in a race?  Note: peak elevation is about 60 meters.

Personally I wouldn't run this race much different than a flat course.  60 meters over the course of a little over 3.5km doesn't seem like a whole lot.  I might pace slightly slower in the beginning during the uphill portion and allow gravity to help on the way down.  The problem, for me at least, is that the impact forces going downhill are larger and harder on the knees so depending on the grades I wouldn't go full speed. 

Good luck in the race and make sure you remind us before you race.

2010-09-13 8:28 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
I ran my first set of intervals tonight.  The total distance was 8 miles and a 7:54 avg. for the entire run.  My intervals were 1 mile x .5 mile light runs for recovery.  My hard splits were 6:42, 6:49, 6:51 and 7:05.  The last interval was in a bunch of tree that usually records a time that is slower than I feel like I am running but I am sure its not to far off.  This run kicked my tail but it was fun.  (I think I am sick in the head.  I am kinda looking forward to the next interval session.)

How often would you consider doing this type of run workout?  And, should I alternate tempo runs and interval workouts every other week?

Edited by DirkP 2010-09-13 8:30 PM
2010-09-13 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3096783

User image

Champion
DirkP - 2010-09-13 7:28 PM

I ran my first set of intervals tonight. The total distance was 8 miles and a 7:54 avg. for the entire run. My intervals were 1 mile x .5 mile light runs for recovery. My hard splits were 6:42, 6:49, 6:51 and 7:05. The last interval was in a bunch of tree that usually records a time that is slower than I feel like I am running but I am sure its not to far off. This run kicked my tail but it was fun. (I think I am sick in the head. I am kinda looking forward to the next interval session.)

How often would you consider doing this type of run workout? And, should I alternate tempo runs and interval workouts every other week?

dirk what type of pace are you at for 5k or 10k runs right now?

FWIW when i do 1 mile repeats i normally do 3 or maybe 4.

either around 5k pace or just faster on LONG rest (like 4-6 min), or at 10k pace on 2-3 min rest.

I have one track or interval workout per week. make sure there is a point behind them if you want to get the most out of them, ie follow some sort of speed/rest interval/distance progression so you are not just running faster once a week for no reason.
2010-09-14 4:47 AM
in reply to: #3096812

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
The last 5k race I ran was a a 6:46 pace, which was a solid hard pace on a hilly course for me.  So my miles last night were pretty close to that pace. 

I had been doing a tempo run about once a week now I may do intervals or maybe alternate these workouts bi-weekly.  Thoughts? 

My goal by doing this would be to get faster, of course, but should I be looking at some thing else too?  The more specific short term goal would be to be able to put some of this work into play at the marathon. 

By using these workouts now why do you think these would help my marathon? 

I am following a Runner's World schedule except that it suggests 3 run per week and I am now running 5 times.  Last week's RW mileage was 27 and this week's 30, but for both weeks I completed/will complete 37-38 miles.

2010-09-14 8:20 AM
in reply to: #3096739

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
DirkP - 2010-09-14 10:11 AM
dcon - 2010-09-13 7:40 PM Hi everyone.  I signed up for a local 10k race on Oct 3.  I went out last week to check out the course and was unpleasantly surprised to find that it starts with a 3.5 km long slow uphill.    Of course, it also ends with a long 3.5 km downhill.   Any advice on how to attack this in a race?  Note: peak elevation is about 60 meters.

Personally I wouldn't run this race much different than a flat course.  60 meters over the course of a little over 3.5km doesn't seem like a whole lot.  I might pace slightly slower in the beginning during the uphill portion and allow gravity to help on the way down.  The problem, for me at least, is that the impact forces going downhill are larger and harder on the knees so depending on the grades I wouldn't go full speed. 

Good luck in the race and make sure you remind us before you race.

Thanks Dirk.  I was thinking of running the first 3.5 at the same exertion level (not same pace) as I would a flat course.  I'm afraid that if I try to hold the same pace as I would for a flat course, I will crash and burn.  I hear you on the downhills.  I know I will be able to go faster than flat course pace, but I doubt that I will be able to hold the flat course exertion level on the downhill.   

It should be an interesting race experience.   I'll definitely shoot off another post a couple days before the race.  
2010-09-14 8:59 AM
in reply to: #3097035

User image

Champion
dirk, with the ammount you are running now, you'd be better off with the tempo run and possible a bit more time in a few of the others (training load would be similar but it would be more volume vs intensity).

baring that and if you want to keep up the intervals, i'd slow them down a bit, and do them on shorter rest (10k to half marathon pace).

so if 5k is 6:45, and 10k is 7 min, something like 3-4x1 mile on 1:30-2min rest., 7-7:05 pace.

2010-09-14 8:54 PM
in reply to: #3097379

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Ok, I'll keep the tempo runs in the regular schedule rather than the intervals.  My typical tempo has been a hard 5k but slower than race pace, say 7:00 to 7:10 depending on the heat here.  I haven't done a tempo for a couple of weeks because of the interval this week and last week was a recovery week and before that we were having some pretty warm weather.  On next week's schedule I have a 7 mile run with the 5 in the middle at a tempo pace (suggested at 7:16).  That seems like a pretty difficult pace for that far but I'm gonna go with with it unless you think that would be to slow.  Heck the most I could do is fail, right?

I am 6.5 weeks out from my marathon and I am really getting the itch, BAD.

2010-09-15 2:19 AM

User image

Dirk...regarding the recovery tights.  So far so good.  I have only worn them after a couple of 7 mile runs...but I felt great afterwards.  Normally after such a run I can feel the soreness or fatigue in my legs if I do a body weight squat.  I just did one (without them on...I was wearing them all day at work and just took them off) and felt nothing.  Looking forward to trying them after I do a longer run on Thursday morning.
2010-09-15 5:26 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Hey guys....been detached for a bit, sorry, very busy.  Buying the house and starting to pack.  Raced last weekend.  Did all right.  My run time was 8:20something per mile for my 3 miles.  Swim didn't go as planned, but happy with my results overall.  Knocked 5 minutes off last years time.

As far as recovery tights.  I have the zoots.  They are awesome for after long runs.  The price is huge, but they are so worth it.  I also wear the calf sleeves for long runs.....zero soreness the next day.  I used to get a lot of soreness from my long runs.  Not a damn thing anymore.

My coach finally got back to us for a powertap deal.  She says she can get A Power Tap Pro+ Hub built into an aluminum DT Swiss training wheel with a Joule 2.0 for $1000.  Is this a good deal?  Is the DT Swiss a good enough wheel to train/race with?
2010-09-15 5:50 PM
in reply to: #3100925

User image

Champion
the DT swiss is an awesome all around wheel, and fits well with a disk cover if you want to go that route as well.
2010-09-15 8:08 PM
in reply to: #3100925

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
I wish I had the money for some tights right now.  Money is pretty tight because the school year started and so did our tuition payments.  How salty are the tights?  Right now I am trying to get my foot in the door climbing poles and changing light bulbs on baseball diamonds to get a little bit of extra cash.  $1 a foot may not sound like much but if I can climb a 60'-70 pole every 30 minutes, thats not bad cash.  Wish me luck.

2010-09-16 2:02 AM

User image

The DT swiss build with a pro+ hub retails for $1000 without the computer.  The joule 2.0 retails for about $500 alone.  So if you're into the joule, it's an awesome deal.  The thing about the joule though is that it's rather large, and gives you almost too much information than you actually need during a ride.  It's almost as if you need to be constantly looking at it or working with it to make use of it.  Some people like that...others don't.  I find that the garmin 500 is a nice middle ground.  More info than the standard powertap yellow computer, but not as outrageous as the joule.  Pro's will race with the garmin 500 or the SRM computer...but most will not race with the joule due to it's size and weight.  It's almost like a cell phone.
2010-09-16 6:43 PM

User image

Got in a nice 13.7 mile long run this morning.  Legs got a little weary the last 2 miles, but my joints held up very well...which is the main thing.

Wearing the tights again...and plan to for about 14 hours.  This will be the true test on if they work well or not for me.
2010-09-16 7:13 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
I have my last sprint tri of the season on Sunday. Quick question on where to start for the swim. It is a wave start and I am seated in the second to last wave. The only group behind me are athena and 45+ women. Swimming is my best event (I was 3rd out of the water at the last tri, but it seated in the reverse of this one - older women then men in a time trial start) I don't want to have to spend lots of time trying to find open water, however I don't want to get trampled by the few faster women swimmers in my heat. I know it is going to be super annoying passing all of the slower people from the previous heats (they are spaced 5 minutes apart) - there is probably nothing I can do about it but anyone have any suggestions on strategy?

Edited by robingray_260 2010-09-16 7:15 PM
2010-09-16 7:38 PM
in reply to: #3103291

User image

Champion
start at the front, if they are that much slower (waves in front), then just swim slightly wide but close enough you get a draft off each one.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  

of 105