BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2012-12-19 9:10 AM
in reply to: #4540404

User image

Veteran
Sparta
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Open for Training

Hey Gary, if you put that modified OLY into a spread sheet or PDF, I would love to take a look at it. I have my 16 week OLY in a PDF,  but it scares me just looking at it. Thanks.

David

GaryRM - 2012-12-18 7:42 PM Brett, I am fighting off a cold also.  Really don't want to have one during the holidays.  As for Oly's have you looked at the BT plans for Oly's?  For the one I have in OCt I am going to combine the BT custom plan with the input from the book Time-crunched Triathlete.  Book is mainly aimed at Sprints but does have an Oly plan but the concept of Quality over quantity has struck a bell with me.

Attachments
----------------
16-Week Oly Triathlon Plan.pdf (22KB - 9 downloads)

2012-12-19 7:29 PM
in reply to: #4540935

User image

Statesville , North Carolina
Went to the Doc-in-the-box today and found out that my wife and I both have walking pneumonia. This could put a real damper on the holidays and training. Hopefully I will be able to return to work Friday and maybe return to training next Wednesday. I did receive my TYR tri suit in the mail today and it fits perfectly. I am amped up about finally getting some equipment. I plan on taking a look at the 16 weeks to Oly plan on Friday so I can look at it on a regular computer and not just a phone.
2012-12-19 9:16 PM
in reply to: #4540935

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
dwpiggott - 2012-12-19 9:10 AM

Hey Gary, if you put that modified OLY into a spread sheet or PDF, I would love to take a look at it. I have my 16 week OLY in a PDF,  but it scares me just looking at it. Thanks.

David

GaryRM - 2012-12-18 7:42 PM Brett, I am .

David, I don't have this years yet but I can look to see if I can export the 2012 version that I used.

2012-12-20 6:56 PM
in reply to: #3257002

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Its amazing how some drugs (legal) and a good nights sleep makes a difference.  First day off and feeling better.  45 mins on the trainer (raining this morning)  and a swim a lunch today.  Looking forward to being off tomorrow also!  Will probably ride and run.  With temps hitting 58 at best I will be sporting some winter clothing for any outdoor ride.  On the other hand, running in shorts and a long sleeve for 58 is perfect.

Be safe all!

2012-12-21 8:51 AM

User image

Signing up for my very first race tomorrow! I will run the Mercedes half marathon in February. I am pumped up about it. I have also decided to run the Rocketman Oly tri at the redstone arrsonal in October. I would like to do one or two sprints if anyone knows of some that are good to run in alabama. Just printed out my training plan for the Oly off of the site. Gary tried to look at the PDF that you attached on a recent post bit could not get it to open. Still fighting the pneumonia but I think I am on the down hill slide now. Hope to be training again soon.
2012-12-22 7:40 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Hmm, still here.  Guess I am glad I got a workout in yesterday.  Kids finished their exams and now they are off for a couple of weeks.  Last night DW wanted to see a modern dance exhibition.  Turns out it was a local dance school doing their Christmas show.  Some good dancing but also some typical 8 yr olds prancing around while parents cheer on.   Very cold here overnight for LA as it hit the low 30's.  Want to ride again today but I will wait until it is at least in the upper 40's.

Brett - Congrats on signing up!

2012-12-22 8:24 AM

User image

Is there anyone in this group that Is from the southeast? Or maybe alabama specifically? I have some friends that run but none are interested in tri's. I would love to fine some people to train with. I am thinking of joining a tri club but money is pretty tight right now.
2012-12-22 2:31 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Brett, sorry I am down in Louisiana so not much help training wise.  Keep an eye out as often the local tri groups and bike groups post rides, etc.  You usually don't have to join the club to go on the group rides.
2012-12-23 7:23 PM
in reply to: #4545038

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Hey all ... been a while since my last post.  Did a nice 1 hour ride yesterday on the mountain bike ... there's something to be said about peddling you tail off-coasting-peddling your tail off, etc.  It's simply great interval training. Got in some pool time tonight ... it's been a while.

Brett - welcome to the group.  One thing you may try is look in the BT forum tab for the state forum ... mine is NC, so I'm thinking there should be one for Alabama.  Might pick up some details on a local Tri group, cycling group or run club.

Edited by Dorm57 2012-12-23 7:24 PM
2012-12-23 9:54 PM

User image

Thanks Dorm. I am actually in Charlotte this week for the holidays. I will check it out.
2012-12-24 5:51 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Merry Christmas all!

2012-12-25 10:14 PM
in reply to: #4547180

User image

Gary,Been waiting for the mentor groups to open so I could join one. If you still have space available I would love to join your group. I saw that you were planning to do shorter distances this year and iThis is what I will be doing as well. Mainly because I have not built for the longer distances yet. Also, I saw that you were in Louisiana, as am I.A little background on me: 28/m, 6'' 180 lbs. married, 1 daughter and another child on the way! I ran my first sprint in October (the Monster Tri in Keller, Tx). I wrote a review on here if I interested. I trained for 4 months using the balanced bt plan and it worked very well. You will see from my race report that I am a slow runner and biker, but not so bad for a beginning swimmer with no lessons or experience of any kind. I battled what I think was it band problems later in my training for the sprint. I had pain in my hips and left knee. So the last couple of months I have taken It easy running very little. I got myself a foam roller and learned some stretches and have spent a good amount of time trying to get those kinks worked out. I have also spent time working on running form using the chi running technique. I hope to really improve my run and bike this year, but my main goal is to continue to build a base and not get injured. I hope to do 2 or 3 sprints and maybe finish the year with an oly, time willing with a newborn to be here in August.I plan to begin my training on 1/2/2013. Let me know if you need any further info and if I am free to join. Thanks. Sorry about formatting. iPad won't let me do paragraphs.

Edited by kmfioc 2012-12-25 10:22 PM
2012-12-25 10:24 PM
in reply to: #4547915

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

kmfioc - 2012-12-25 10:14 PM Gary,Been waiting for the mentor groups to open so I could join one. If you still have space available I would love to join your group. I saw that you were planning to do shorter distances this year and iThis is what I will be doing as well. Mainly because I have not built for the longer distances yet. Also, I saw that you were in Louisiana, as am I.A little background on me: 28/m, 6'' 180 lbs. married, 1 daughter and another child on the way! I ran my first sprint in October (the Monster Tri in Keller, Tx). I wrote a review on here if I interested. I trained for 4 months using the balanced bt plan and it worked very well. You will see from my race report that I am a slow runner and biker, but not so bad for a beginning swimmer with no lessons or experience of any kind. I battled what I think was it band problems later in my training for the sprint. I had pain in my hips and left knee. So the last couple of months I have taken It easy running very little. I got myself a foam roller and learned some stretches and have spent a good amount of time trying to get those kinks worked out. I have also spent time working on running form using the chi running technique. I hope to really improve my run and bike this year, but my main goal is to continue to build a base and not get injured. I hope to do 2 or 3 sprints and maybe finish the year with an oly, time willing with a newborn to be here in August.I plan to begin my training on 1/2/2013. Let me know if you need any further info and if I am free to join. Thanks. Sorry about formatting. iPad won't let me do paragraphs.

kmfioc - Welcome!  Plenty of space!  Where in Louisiana are you?

2012-12-25 10:25 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Okay all!

Went to see Les Mis tonight and loved it.  I would highly recommend seeing this movie!

2012-12-25 10:28 PM
in reply to: #4547922

User image

I live in Shreveport. Edit: I see you are from the baton rouge area. I travel quite a bit and just finished up a job outside of Zachary. Also, my family is from port Allen.

Edited by kmfioc 2012-12-25 10:30 PM
2012-12-25 10:44 PM
in reply to: #4547924

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

kmfioc - 2012-12-25 10:28 PM I live in Shreveport. Edit: I see you are from the baton rouge area. I travel quite a bit and just finished up a job outside of Zachary. Also, my family is from port Allen.

Very cool.  FYI, March 2nd is the 1st annual Skeeter run.  A series of 5k's throughout LA all on March 2nd in support of the Imagine No Maleria campaign.  I am the race chair.  We will have a Shreveport race along with 9 other sites in LA. 

2012-12-25 10:54 PM
in reply to: #4547931

User image

Count me in!
2012-12-26 12:23 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Easy 3 miler today with the first half mile with the new pup Moose.  Except when he got scared by another dog he did great and should be a great running partner.  Only 4+ months old so taking it easy on him but at near 50lbs it will be hard to regard him as a pup for much longer.

Started comparing 2012 totals to 2011 totals.  Bike mileage was down this year by quite a bit.  Swimming and running I went farther but using less time. 

Starting to look at my training plan for my first race (end of March).  Will be run/bike emphasized but thats all I got so far. 

Everyone have a good Christmas?

2012-12-26 1:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland

I'd like to join if there's still room.

I did my first race, a sprint, in 2008.  At the time, I was going through a separation from my husband and had picked up some destructive habits the previous year and decided in January that I was going to do my first race in June.  I trained by myself and became a triathlete on 6/22/2008.  I wasn't fast, but my goal was to just finish and I did.  It was seriously the proudest time of my life, especially since my soon to be ex was doing everything he could to discourage me in my pursuit.  After my race, I then went back to my couch potato ways for a couple of years.  In the midst of this was a torn meniscus and an extended fight with plantar faciitis.  I managed to eek out another sprint race, but due to the extreme pain from my plantar faciitis, I was very lucky to even finish.  Since then, I haven't done much except have bunion surgery in April.  Needless to say, I'm hoping for a pain free 2013!

I have used my surgery as an excuse for not getting my butt into the gym and because of that, I went ahead and registered for a sprint in June.  It's the same race I've run both times before and I want to be proud of my finish this time.  To do this, I know that I must be more consistent in my nutrition and training and I'm going to need some motivation along the way.

As far as weight loss is concerned, I am currently following a low-carb diet and have lost 25 lbs since June.  I plan on keeping up this diet because it is the only thing that has ever worked and has given me a ton of energy.  I would like to tighten my diet up a bit and maybe do some tracking of foods.

2012-12-26 2:41 PM
in reply to: #4548623

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
tricupcake - 2012-12-26 1:31 PM

I'd like to join if there's still room.

I did my first race, a sprint, in 2008.  At the time, I was going through a separation from my husband and had picked up some destructive habits the previous year and decided in January that I was going to do my first race in June.  I trained by myself and became a triathlete on 6/22/2008.  I wasn't fast, but my goal was to just finish and I did.  It was seriously the proudest time of my life, especially since my soon to be ex was doing everything he could to discourage me in my pursuit.  After my race, I then went back to my couch potato ways for a couple of years.  In the midst of this was a torn meniscus and an extended fight with plantar faciitis.  I managed to eek out another sprint race, but due to the extreme pain from my plantar faciitis, I was very lucky to even finish.  Since then, I haven't done much except have bunion surgery in April.  Needless to say, I'm hoping for a pain free 2013!

I have used my surgery as an excuse for not getting my butt into the gym and because of that, I went ahead and registered for a sprint in June.  It's the same race I've run both times before and I want to be proud of my finish this time.  To do this, I know that I must be more consistent in my nutrition and training and I'm going to need some motivation along the way.

As far as weight loss is concerned, I am currently following a low-carb diet and have lost 25 lbs since June.  I plan on keeping up this diet because it is the only thing that has ever worked and has given me a ton of energy.  I would like to tighten my diet up a bit and maybe do some tracking of foods.

TriCupCake - plenty of room and welcome!  BTW, what is your first name?  Congrats on the weight loss and good luck on continuing the loss.  Sounds like you are ready for 2013 to be your year.  Hopefully this group can help.

2012-12-26 3:44 PM
in reply to: #4548720

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
GaryRM - 2012-12-26 2:41 PM 

TriCupCake - plenty of room and welcome!  BTW, what is your first name?  Congrats on the weight loss and good luck on continuing the loss.  Sounds like you are ready for 2013 to be your year.  Hopefully this group can help.

First name is Kim.

2012-12-26 5:59 PM
in reply to: #4548806

User image

Anyone use a Garrmin 310xt? My wife got me one for Christmas. I'm anxious to get out there and use it. Some questions for those that do. How do you log your bike trainer workouts? Just make a note on time on the trainer? Use the garmin as a heart rate monitor and timer only? Also, do you use it in the indoor lap pool? I know it will not give you an accurate distance reading. For instance, I use the free bt plans which are all time measured. For my swims, it ,y plan says to swim for 30 min, I swim maybe 500 yds, take a minute break and start again. But I make sure that my actual swim time is 30, not counting breaks. What is the best way to use it in this scenario?Any other helpful hints on how to use it?
2012-12-26 6:14 PM
in reply to: #4548961

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

kmfioc - 2012-12-26 5:59 PM Anyone use a Garrmin 310xt? My wife got me one for Christmas. I'm anxious to get out there and use it. Some questions for those that do. How do you log your bike trainer workouts? Just make a note on time on the trainer? Use the garmin as a heart rate monitor and timer only? Also, do you use it in the indoor lap pool? I know it will not give you an accurate distance reading. For instance, I use the free bt plans which are all time measured. For my swims, it ,y plan says to swim for 30 min, I swim maybe 500 yds, take a minute break and start again. But I make sure that my actual swim time is 30, not counting breaks. What is the best way to use it in this scenario?Any other helpful hints on how to use it?

I have a 910xt but a couple of answers.  You can buy the garmin sensor that goes on the back of your bike (magnet on wheel) and it will allow the Garmin to collect speed/distance data.  I think the sensor is around $30. 

As for the swimming not much help.  You can count laps or if you know you avg a certain speed (i.e. 2:00/100 yards) you can use the watch for time and then use your avg to guesstimate the distance.

2012-12-27 8:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Morning all ... had an easy brick session with DD yesterday (spin - swim).  Beautiful clear skies here today (cold though) and plan to do a club ride at 11:00, for ~20 miles. 

I've been working on my 3 daughters ... Anna 33, Emily 31 and Kathryn 23 ... to sign up for a sprint race in March - looks promising.  So far 2 of the 3 are signed up.  Stopped by the LBS in route to the gym yesterday and picked up a pair of bike shoes for Emily.  It will be a lot of fun having my girls race alongside in March.  I printed out the 12 weeks to sprint training plan for these and encouraged a signup to BT, so will see how this goes. 

Also, welcome to the new members in the group.

HAGD ... Dorm

2012-12-27 8:22 AM

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario

Hey Gary and everyone.

Ugh....I'm going to try (tri) again.  Hopefully I can develop the motivation and self discipline this time around.

Dave

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  

of 115