BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SCIFT group (Short Course is Fast Twitch)! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2012-12-13 7:59 PM
in reply to: #4534590

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: SCIFT group (Short Course is Fast Twitch)!
Sure! I know it's a really frustrating problem when this doesn't fit right, and it can be hard to diagnose. Hopefully some guidelines are helpful. And one more thing on that for Westy, riding on the trainer is tougher on you in this regard than riding outside. I'm thinking it's because the bike is locked in place on the trainer, whereas outside it'll move around some with the balancing. That will shift the weight around to different points. Very subtle, but it can make a noticeable difference. This past year one of the earliest outdoor rides I did was a 5 hr one, and it was less difficult to sit through than the 3 hr trainer rides.

2012-12-14 7:56 AM
in reply to: #4534633

User image

New user
New Hampshire

brigby1 - 2012-12-13 8:59 PM Sure! I know it's a really frustrating problem when this doesn't fit right, and it can be hard to diagnose. Hopefully some guidelines are helpful. And one more thing on that for Westy, riding on the trainer is tougher on you in this regard than riding outside. I'm thinking it's because the bike is locked in place on the trainer, whereas outside it'll move around some with the balancing. That will shift the weight around to different points. Very subtle, but it can make a noticeable difference. This past year one of the earliest outdoor rides I did was a 5 hr one, and it was less difficult to sit through than the 3 hr trainer rides.

I was thinking the same thing the other night when I was trying to stand and pedal on the trainer. Outside you can allow the bike to shift side to side while you are standing and pedaling, not so much on the trainer. I felt very awkward to say the least. The expression about a monkey and a football comes to mind. Laughing

2012-12-15 9:09 AM
in reply to: #4460018

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
Spot on regarding the bike not moving on the trainer. That is the most frustrating thing. When we ride outside we shift on the seat all the time, bumps in the road, standing etc. On the trainer we only move if WE move. Hard to remember to do..

Ran last night to clear my head following the awful news of the day. Spending today with my family and probably some time on the trainer.

Lani
2012-12-15 3:59 PM
in reply to: #4536257

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

wwlani - 2012-12-15 10:09 AM Spot on regarding the bike not moving on the trainer. That is the most frustrating thing. When we ride outside we shift on the seat all the time, bumps in the road, standing etc. On the trainer we only move if WE move. Hard to remember to do.. Ran last night to clear my head following the awful news of the day. Spending today with my family and probably some time on the trainer. Lani

Lord, I know, I can't process that from yesterday.  My 14 y.o. can't stand for his mom to hug him but I've done it so much in the last 24 hours and explained that it's not an option.  Just got back from playing tennis with him (where I sucked) but I was thrilled to be able to hurt so much and have my son with me; he didn't realize the whole time we were playing tennis, it was a hug from his mom.

Brigby, Kevin, and LT, thank you so much for the bike discussion.  I'm learning so much.  I'm so new to biking that I can't even formulate questions but thru your discussions, I learned so much.  I just about to wrap a bike trainer that will go under the tree (not sure whether it's gonna be DH or my name going on the TO: portion of the card).  I'm excited to try everything you all have been discussing.

Edited by Pink Socks 2012-12-15 4:00 PM
2012-12-16 12:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Update regarding my bike issues: we're on the right path now

I had my husband help shoot some video from the front, side, and back....turns out, my hips were rocking a decent amount, so I decided to play with the saddle position.  I lowered the seat post and it helped quite a bit....and then I decided to move the saddle forward just a bit to see if that would help and it seems to have made a world of difference!

I did an hour long TrainerRoad session and I'm not sure if it was a matter of not being distracted by crotch issues or if moving the saddle around translated to better power output, but I was able to hit my target power much more easily....and I only had to stop a couple times to make some minor adjustments.  I'll ride on it for a couple weeks and reevaluate if I want to make any further adjustments....but what I do know is that there was a world of difference between today's ride and all other rides I've done!

Congrats on the trainer, Pink Socks!  Which one did you get?  And to whomever is not on the "To:" line, consider getting that person a couple fans to go with the trainer!  And maybe a TrainerRoad subscription for both of you....TR is the big thing that has made the trainer tolerable (plus, I feel like I'm actually making progress!). 

2012-12-16 5:44 PM
in reply to: #4536949

Master
Northern IL

L&T, Excellent! I also have a lot of trouble getting anywhere near target when the "firecrotch" feeling is present. I don't even want to be on the bike!

2012-12-18 9:18 PM

Master
Northern IL
Does everyone realize that this is now in Archives and we can still continue with discussion?
2012-12-18 9:20 PM
in reply to: #4540558

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
YUP!!!! Just busy! I spent 3 hours today inmeetings with the CEO of my company
2012-12-19 7:28 AM
in reply to: #4540558

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

brigby1 - 2012-12-18 7:18 PM Does everyone realize that this is now in Archives and we can still continue with discussion?

Hadn't even realized it was in the archives....but if the discussion can continue, then let's do it!

Anyone have big plans for the end of the year?  I'm off to Seattle for a week and a half, leaving Saturday.  Cramming in four trainer rides this week, as I'll be bike-less next week.  Maybe I can catch a decent spin class....but otherwise, I'll be swimming and running!

I'm currently working my way up to five (short) runs a week....BarryP minus one day.  My knee has actually been holding up quite well, so hopefully I'll be able to continue and build slowly

2012-12-19 6:10 PM
in reply to: #4540781

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
ligersandtions - 2012-12-19 8:28 AM

brigby1 - 2012-12-18 7:18 PM Does everyone realize that this is now in Archives and we can still continue with discussion?

Hadn't even realized it was in the archives....but if the discussion can continue, then let's do it!

Anyone have big plans for the end of the year?  I'm off to Seattle for a week and a half, leaving Saturday.  Cramming in four trainer rides this week, as I'll be bike-less next week.  Maybe I can catch a decent spin class....but otherwise, I'll be swimming and running!

I'm currently working my way up to five (short) runs a week....BarryP minus one day.  My knee has actually been holding up quite well, so hopefully I'll be able to continue and build slowly

LT, have a good time in Seattle!!!!  Our plans are all close to home and then later, my family will visit the in-laws for a few days and the dog and I will have the house to ourselves.  WooHoo, I get more excited about than I probably should but I really do enjoy my alone time.

I've been taking it easy mentally for recovery but I've been feeling pretty good.  Just back from a good, harder tempo run.  Been hitting the gym bike too and while I'm not on it long, I've been either kicking up to a higher gear (for me) or doing intense intervals every 30 seconds.  I can feel my legs getting stronger.  Maybe after Christmas, I can get Bronco out (my Christmas gift is new handlebars; my others were too wide.) and really start getting some time in the saddle.

Merry Christmas (or Happy Hannukah) and Happy New Year!!!

2012-12-19 9:03 PM
in reply to: #4542042

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Pink Socks - 2012-12-19 7:10 PM
ligersandtions - 2012-12-19 8:28 AM

LT, have a good time in Seattle!!!!  Our plans are all close to home and then later, my family will visit the in-laws for a few days and the dog and I will have the house to ourselves.  WooHoo, I get more excited about than I probably should but I really do enjoy my alone time.

I've been taking it easy mentally for recovery but I've been feeling pretty good.  Just back from a good, harder tempo run.  Been hitting the gym bike too and while I'm not on it long, I've been either kicking up to a higher gear (for me) or doing intense intervals every 30 seconds.  I can feel my legs getting stronger.  Maybe after Christmas, I can get Bronco out (my Christmas gift is new handlebars; my others were too wide.) and really start getting some time in the saddle.

Merry Christmas (or Happy Hannukah) and Happy New Year!!!

We're staying close to home as well. I think I have two thirds of the base training figured out using Trainer Road and the Barry P. program (thanks brigby). Now I just have to figure out the swim part. Unfortunately, the pools and my schedule are in conflict. It looks like I'll only be able to swim 2 or 3 mornings a week before work for about 45 minutes and one longer session on the weekends. Does anyone know any good resources for some swim plans? I've only been swimming for about a year so I'm starting pretty much from scratch. I found swimsense.com  which seems like a good starting point with about 1000 yards per workout to start. Any input would be appreciated.

2012-12-19 10:52 PM
in reply to: #4542162

Master
Northern IL

Westynh - 2012-12-19 9:03 PM  Now I just have to figure out the swim part. Unfortunately, the pools and my schedule are in conflict. It looks like I'll only be able to swim 2 or 3 mornings a week before work for about 45 minutes and one longer session on the weekends. Does anyone know any good resources for some swim plans? I've only been swimming for about a year so I'm starting pretty much from scratch. I found swimsense.com  which seems like a good starting point with about 1000 yards per workout to start. Any input would be appreciated.

Is a Master's group or occasional coaching an option? Otherwise it's something along the lines of a few minutes of form work, and work your tail off the rest of the time.

At Masters tonight I was coming in on 1:20-1:22 for most of the 100's (yds). Fastest I've ever done. Thought it was from the draft of the first person, but continued to pull it off after switching, albeit with a touch more effort needed.

2012-12-20 7:20 AM
in reply to: #4542162

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Westynh - 2012-12-19 7:03 PM

We're staying close to home as well. I think I have two thirds of the base training figured out using Trainer Road and the Barry P. program (thanks brigby). Now I just have to figure out the swim part. Unfortunately, the pools and my schedule are in conflict. It looks like I'll only be able to swim 2 or 3 mornings a week before work for about 45 minutes and one longer session on the weekends. Does anyone know any good resources for some swim plans? I've only been swimming for about a year so I'm starting pretty much from scratch. I found swimsense.com  which seems like a good starting point with about 1000 yards per workout to start. Any input would be appreciated.

Twice a week, I work out with my Master's group....the other one to two times a week, I either make up my own workouts, or (loosely) follow one of the NTC Master's posted swim sets: http://ntcmastersswim.blogspot.com/

As brigby mentioned, do a little warm-up and form work....and then work your off!  The beauty of swimming is that you can actually go hard/fast with minimal concern of hurting yourself, unlike when you first start running.

2012-12-20 1:09 PM
in reply to: #4542380

Master
Northern IL

I've been using Workouts in a Binder to get lots of things to do. I don't know enough to say if it's great, but I'm able to get in a lot of hard work with it. Also nice is that it's smaller and has waterproof pages. They have a big warm-up & skill section to start off each workout, could be 800-1200 yds. When pressed for time, I just do 200-300 easy and skip to the main section. Westy, you might do 1 or two of the skill things at times. Or put in 4-8 x 25 swim w/band. Then have at the main set, or as far along as you can get until time runs out.

Have you guys seen this post on Joel Filliol's blog? Some very helpful guidelines.

2012-12-20 6:14 PM
in reply to: #4543044

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Thanks for the ideas guys. I watched the whole tower26 series by Gerry Rodrigues. It seems like hard intervals is the way to go as you and LT suggest. It still amazes me that I can run a half marathon yet I'm completely gassed after 100 yds. swimming. Frown I haven't found a Masters group near me that doesn't conflict with my schedule yet. I'm definitively going to look into a coach after the holidays. Until then I'm going to try the ankle band, from what I've been able to glean from an internet search it either really improves your stroke or you drown trying. I'll have to remember to start in the shallow end. I suppose I could always shimmy down the lane marker until I get to the wall.
2012-12-21 7:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Update on my knee situation:

It's now been over five months since the accident.  I've tried immobilization, rest, lots of ice, anti-inflammatories, physical therapy, a steroid injection, and Active Release, pretending it doesn't hurt and running on it....some of these helped, but nothing has brought my knee back anywhere close to where it used to be.

I think I've exhausted all of my options at this point.  I went back to the ortho for a follow-up visit yesterday and he's suggesting surgery (scope).  I was really hoping to avoid surgery, but I think dismissing it altogether would just be me being stupid and stubborn.  At 29, I really don't want to just live with this for the rest of my life....but I'm also really afraid he's going to go in there, not find anything, and it won't actually make things better....but I'll still have to do the recovery all over again.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it....I just wish someone would have done it the day after the accident so I wouldn't have to recover a second time!  Here's to hoping the surgery is successful, the recovery is quick, and I can get back to training before my fitness goes bye-bye!

2012-12-27 8:27 AM

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
HELLOOOOO- anyone there? I have returned from the land of the nearly dead (otherwise known as a stomach bug) great way to avoid those holidy treats (although I don't recommend this as a course of action)

Hope those that celebrate had a Merry Christmas and got all the tri-related goodies you asked for.

I am HOPING today to have enough energy to get on the dreadmill for a bit (raining here thank goodness not snow) and see how I fair
2012-12-27 4:45 PM
in reply to: #4549514

User image

New user
New Hampshire

wwlani - 2012-12-27 9:27 AM HELLOOOOO- anyone there? I have returned from the land of the nearly dead (otherwise known as a stomach bug) great way to avoid those holidy treats (although I don't recommend this as a course of action) Hope those that celebrate had a Merry Christmas and got all the tri-related goodies you asked for. I am HOPING today to have enough energy to get on the dreadmill for a bit (raining here thank goodness not snow) and see how I fair

Welcome back! I'm fighting off a nasty cold myself for the second time in about 6 weeks. Haven't done any training since Sunday and I'm really starting to get grumpy to say the least. We got about 6 to 8 inches out of Euclid not the 12 to 18 they were predicting. And when the heck did we start naming winter storms anyway? I don't like it and what the hell kind of name is Euclid anyway? You're  just asking for your kid to get beat up on the playground with that one. Man I need a run.

2012-12-27 6:50 PM

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
west - feel better - I *think* I may get on the treadmill tomorrow....

why would anyone name the town that is an excellent question, the better question is why anyon would LIVE there with a name like that
2012-12-27 10:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I'm out of town visiting family this week....I've managed some decent work-outs, but definitely eaten too much.  I don't seem to do well when there's a ton of food just sitting around the house!  Plus, it's not the same type of food we normally eat...

I've gone to a couple spin classes this past week....I can't believe how different the spin bikes feel from my own bike, but at least I was able to get in some cycling!  Also got in a bit of swimming and a few runs....going to try my first run in freezing weather tomorrow -- I have a feeling that I'll really appreciate my warm TX/CA weather!

2012-12-27 11:02 PM
in reply to: #4549514

Master
Northern IL
I'm here. We only got a couple inches of snow the other day that has since mostly melted. Bike power is coming back nicely. Have been able to step it up some.

2013-01-20 6:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Nicole, thinking about you and praying for you since you had your knee surgery last week.  Hope you heal quickly and perfectly and are back to working out soon!
2013-01-20 8:37 PM
in reply to: #4587165

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Pink Socks - 2013-01-20 4:43 PMNicole, thinking about you and praying for you since you had your knee surgery last week.  Hope you heal quickly and perfectly and are back to working out soon!
Thanks, Pam! Surgery on Friday seems to have gone well. I have a follow-up appointment with the surgeon tomorrow and also start PT in the afternoon. Hoping for good news and a quick recovery! So far, it hasn't been as bad as I was expecting...first surgery ever!
2013-01-21 6:51 PM
in reply to: #4587279

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

ligersandtions - 2013-01-20 9:37 PM
Pink Socks - 2013-01-20 4:43 PMNicole, thinking about you and praying for you since you had your knee surgery last week.  Hope you heal quickly and perfectly and are back to working out soon!
Thanks, Pam! Surgery on Friday seems to have gone well. I have a follow-up appointment with the surgeon tomorrow and also start PT in the afternoon. Hoping for good news and a quick recovery! So far, it hasn't been as bad as I was expecting...first surgery ever!

I'm so glad that all has gone well.  Appt today ok?  I know PT can sometimes hurt like a %$&^ but it helpful.  Good luck and continuing to think about you.  Cool

2013-01-22 5:37 AM
in reply to: #4587279

User image

New user
New Hampshire

ligersandtions - 2013-01-20 9:37 PM

Best wishes for a speedy recovery! Did they find anything definitive during the surgery?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SCIFT group (Short Course is Fast Twitch)! Rss Feed  

of 10