BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Nevergivin's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2011-03-14 8:15 PM
in reply to: #3258079

Subject: RE: Nevergivin's Mentor Group - CLOSED
Well, I pushed my recovery week a bit to hard. Yesterday, I ran a 5k and set a pb! 22.19- 7:09 pace. Then I had lunch and went to the gym to finnish my workout. Ran another 4 @ 7:56 pace and then swam 1000yrds. Now I feel pretty junky. Oh well. Well see how tomorrows 40 minute bike goes! Good week besides that!

2011-03-16 10:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Bought a pair of NB minimus. I use Nike Free shoes so not a bad transition. I only ran 2.5 miles on the new shoes but it's a great feel, truly almost barefoot like!
2011-03-16 7:33 PM

User image

Davis Square, Somerville, MA
Uggh- my wife is in Vancouver for a conference all week (about as far as you can get from Boston).  Having a tough time trying to get my workouts in and take care of our 15-month old.  So far only a swim yesterday.  The good news is after today, I should have baby sitting help through Saturday.  Plus- getting some quality one-on-one time with baby girl.
2011-03-17 10:10 AM

User image

Modesto, California
My challenge is weather right now, rain and more rain. Last race I did in rain there were four wrecks, Im not sure I want to do that again, so this weekend is questionable for racing.
2011-03-17 11:41 PM
in reply to: #3401120

User image

Expert
Salem
Having a hard time this week as well.  Missed two running workouts.  Had to give into my wife and son this evening.  With it being St. Patrick's Day we went out to go to a place that had Bag Pipes Playing.  They ended up getting there late so we stayed longer to hear them.  My son was quite excited and happy we stayed.  I guess that is all that really matters.
2011-03-18 7:30 AM

User image

Regular
Looks like a tough week for everyone. I started full bore after a 20mile lsd but after recently starting a strengthening program, Im getting some tightness at the hips. Of course it caused the IT band tendonitis in my right knee. I can get 30min in and I start to tighten up. Good thing I know exactly how to treat it and have had plenty of practice being an Athletic Trainer but damn this hurts and sucks!!!! Im frustrated! from 20miles of bliss to a hobbling mess. Ahhhhhh!

2011-03-19 12:06 PM
in reply to: #3403177

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA

driveradme - 2011-03-18 8:30 AM Looks like a tough week for everyone. I started full bore after a 20mile lsd but after recently starting a strengthening program, Im getting some tightness at the hips. Of course it caused the IT band tendonitis in my right knee. I can get 30min in and I start to tighten up. Good thing I know exactly how to treat it and have had plenty of practice being an Athletic Trainer but damn this hurts and sucks!!!! Im frustrated! from 20miles of bliss to a hobbling mess. Ahhhhhh!

I say you share that recipe with us....My It will occasionally act up, specially when I push hard on the run.

2011-03-19 12:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Was able to put in 3.5 miles running today with my new shoes at a tempo (sub 9/mile) pace. Didn't feel bad but certainly still getting used to them. Hoping to put in a good bike ride tomorrow.
2011-03-19 12:32 PM

User image

Expert
Salem

I have a long run to do this evening (8 miler); I kind of like these runs.  Should be pretty good run given I missed two of my earlier run workouts this week.  Rather run in the rain than ride in the rain.  I have a long ride tomorrow (2 hrs or so) which is suppose to be sunnier out and sprinkles. I am Flipping my workouts around some. 

I recently picked up a used Profile Design Tri Saddle on BT and mounted that yesterday.  I'll have to get it tuned in today before my ride tomorrow. I am adjusting my clip-ons as well so need to dial them in as well (moving my pads back behind the bars and closer to me.  I alway feel like I am stretched out in the position they are now.   I am going to try an pickup a Profile Design Fast Forward Seat Post as well this next month.  Looking forward to a bit more comfort from the nose of the saddle from my previous stock saddle.  I will be signing up for my 70.3 Distance (Pacific Crest Long Course in Sunriver, Oregon) after pay day this week.  Once I sign up and am in, there is no turning back.   Cool

Have a great weekend everyone.

2011-03-20 12:36 AM
in reply to: #3404698

User image

Expert
Salem
TriGuyBri - 2011-03-19 10:32 AM

I have a long run to do this evening (8 miler); I kind of like these runs.  Should be pretty good run given I missed two of my earlier run workouts this week.  Rather run in the rain than ride in the rain.  I have a long ride tomorrow (2 hrs or so) which is suppose to be sunnier out and sprinkles. I am Flipping my workouts around some. 

I recently picked up a used Profile Design Tri Saddle on BT and mounted that yesterday.  I'll have to get it tuned in today before my ride tomorrow. I am adjusting my clip-ons as well so need to dial them in as well (moving my pads back behind the bars and closer to me.  I alway feel like I am stretched out in the position they are now.   I am going to try an pickup a Profile Design Fast Forward Seat Post as well this next month.  Looking forward to a bit more comfort from the nose of the saddle from my previous stock saddle.  I will be signing up for my 70.3 Distance (Pacific Crest Long Course in Sunriver, Oregon) after pay day this week.  Once I sign up and am in, there is no turning back.   Cool

Have a great weekend everyone.

Sorry, I am quoting myself here.  I always find it interesting on long runs how hard it is to run slow.  I try to slow down but find myself picking up the pace again and again.  In order to bring my pace down I end up walking, which is not a bad thing.  It was a tough 8 mile run this evening.  My toes and legs haven't been this sore in sometime.  I guess when you are training for three disciplines rather than one (as I did this winter with running only) it becomes much tougher.  Anyway ran an average 9:45 min/ mile pace; was looking for a 10:00 min/mile pace. 

2011-03-20 8:53 PM
in reply to: #3405186

User image

Nice brick workout to finish off the week- 1 hour on the bike and 50 minute run.  Looking forward to a rest week this week.  Have a great week all.

2011-03-20 10:16 PM
in reply to: #3406028

User image

Houston, Texas

Brick on Saturday to finish off my week, as well.  20mi ride plus short run (3+ miles).  Bumped the pace up again by 20s.  I really pushed and concentrated on the pace.  I could have been better but mile two dragged as usual.  Still, it was a personal best, so I can't complain much.  Dang tired the rest of the day, I don't mind saying.  Next week I'm going to extend the run a bit.

I travel this week, so training will be harder.  Still, I'm prepared to get it done.  We'll see what kind of accomodations the hotel has.

Have a good week, everyone!

-Mike

2011-03-21 4:41 PM

User image

Modesto, California
My race Sunday was cancelled due to snow, the weather has been bad in northern California lately. Weve been getting lots of nuclear rain!
2011-03-21 6:50 PM

took my new bike out and just got back!  man its fun.  i just bought the 2011 felt b16 and its crazy! this is my first tt bike and my first real bike.  my other bike is a schwin roadie from walmart.  i cant even explain the differences but wow.  Its like every pedal stroke i could feel being transferred to the wheels.  i don't know another way to describe it, like the frame wanted to jump out a foot in front of me with each pedal.  the bike has been sitting in my mud room now for a month and it was great to finally get to use it!  

Just thought id share how great it is to be outside on my new bike enjoying the fun!

2011-03-21 6:52 PM

took my new bike out and just got back!  man its fun.  i just bought the 2011 felt b16 and its crazy! this is my first tt bike and my first real bike.  my other bike is a schwin roadie from walmart.  i cant even explain the differences but wow.  Its like every pedal stroke i could feel being transferred to the wheels.  i don't know another way to describe it, like the frame wanted to jump out a foot in front of me with each pedal.  the bike has been sitting in my mud room now for a month and it was great to finally get to use it!  

Just thought id share how great it is to be outside on my new bike enjoying the fun!

(felt.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
felt.jpg (24KB - 25 downloads)
2011-03-22 6:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA

What a coincidence, I have the exact same bike...and bike stand by the way...scary! I have to agree with you, it's a great bike. It took me a little while to get used to the aero position, but now I'm fine. I think it's a great value. My buddy just bought a Cervelo P3, great bike, but pricier. I guess his bike is slitghtly lighter, but the components are very comparable. In fact, his saddle was very so so, and he had to buy another one. Felt saddles get good reviews..I have had no issues with mine. Saved some $$$ there.

Hope you enjoy your bike as much as I'm enjoying mine!

2011-03-23 9:48 AM

User image

Modesto, California

This weekend is supposed to be worse than last, so I need to such it up and plan on racing in the rain.

I've decided to get back in to masters swimming again,probably twards the end of April once cycling really gets going. I would like to focus on Breastroke and Butterfly this year and improve my 100 IM time. I know I have allot of work to do on my starts and turns.

My weight loss is going well, I have cut out caffiene and starting to reduce my sodium in an effort to increase my overall health and increase my sleep quality more than anything.

2011-03-23 10:21 PM
in reply to: #3410337

User image

Expert
Salem
nevergivin - 2011-03-23 7:48 AM

This weekend is supposed to be worse than last, so I need to such it up and plan on racing in the rain.

I've decided to get back in to masters swimming again,probably twards the end of April once cycling really gets going. I would like to focus on Breastroke and Butterfly this year and improve my 100 IM time. I know I have allot of work to do on my starts and turns.

My weight loss is going well, I have cut out caffiene and starting to reduce my sodium in an effort to increase my overall health and increase my sleep quality more than anything.

Hey everyone.  Finally got out on a ride today.  With it being Spring Break and all I found some time to ride outside.  Went out for about an hour.  Just got back and it began to pour.  I'll have to take every break I can get this time of the year in Oregon.

I am going to be signing up for the Pacific Crest Long Distance Tri (Half-Ironman Distance) this weekend.  I am planning to go 40 and older Clydesdale Group rather than push myself too much to lose a bunch of weight; as I look at the times last year and having looked at my goals it will be more competitive for me rather than knowing going in I may place way down the last two-thirds of the 45-49 age group.  Clydesdale Group is 198 lbs. and above. 

I am going to check out Fitzgerald's Racing Weight Book (Newest One) I have the first one and want to see if what he has will assist me going in to this race and into my next goals which is to do a Marathon (hopefully the Portland Marathon in Early Oct.).  I read a portion of it and it sounds good.

2011-03-24 3:15 PM

User image

Took the last three days off from training as scheduled rest days- start back up with a 45 minute run tonight.  Its snowing, but not sticking, so we catch a break there.
2011-03-24 8:07 PM
in reply to: #3412846

User image

8:43 pace for 5 miles- not fast for most, but it is my fastest pace yet for that distance.  Its the little victories that keep me coming back for the next workout.
2011-03-25 11:49 AM

User image

Modesto, California

Last night was my big swimming comeback, today im a little sore. I kept it simple and did about 1500 yards of a mix of pull/kick/swim. I caught the guy next to me trying to race me while I was doing kick sets, I was only going half speed so tortured him a little by surging and waiting for him to catch me then repeating. This year I'm going to spend extra time working on my starts and turns, I think I loose too much time off the walls and during my breakouts. Masters swimming has helped with my fitness but has not been much help with racing skills for meets, it always seems to be somewhat of an afterthought.                                                                        

2011-03-25 8:44 PM

User image

Expert
Salem

Well I pulled the trigger and signed up for my First Half-Iron Distance Race today (June 25th; Pacific Crest Long Course in Sunriver, OR).  Wonderful scenery and a beautiful place to race.  My wife is not happy about the price ($195 +  $15 for a bus ride to the lake), but she doesn't understand all that goes into a race.  I am into my eighth week of my 20 week plan.  I really need to get out on the bike.  I am suppose to ride 1:45 tomorrow.  I am going to do it rain or shine.

Terrible swim this evening couldn't really get it going.  Toughed through it.  As I was upstairs biking (sits over the pool) some young studs who swim for the local college came into to swim.  Man were they ever so smooth and powerful.  I wish I could seim like that.  I really need to take some lessons.  I don't swim too bad, but I could swim better and probably more efficient.

Safe weekend everyone.

2011-03-26 2:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Just came back from my last long run before first race next weekend. Taper for me now.
2011-03-26 5:30 PM
in reply to: #3415552

User image

Expert
Salem

guticur - 2011-03-26 12:44 PM Just came back from my last long run before first race next weekend. Taper for me now.

What race is it and the distance?  Do you have any specific goals for this race?

Good Luck. 

2011-03-28 3:49 PM
in reply to: #3415011

User image

Modesto, California
TriGuyBri - 2011-03-25 6:44 PM

Well I pulled the trigger and signed up for my First Half-Iron Distance Race today (June 25th; Pacific Crest Long Course in Sunriver, OR).  Wonderful scenery and a beautiful place to race.  My wife is not happy about the price ($195 +  $15 for a bus ride to the lake), but she doesn't understand all that goes into a race.  I am into my eighth week of my 20 week plan.  I really need to get out on the bike.  I am suppose to ride 1:45 tomorrow.  I am going to do it rain or shine.

Terrible swim this evening couldn't really get it going.  Toughed through it.  As I was upstairs biking (sits over the pool) some young studs who swim for the local college came into to swim.  Man were they ever so smooth and powerful.  I wish I could seim like that.  I really need to take some lessons.  I don't swim too bad, but I could swim better and probably more efficient.

Safe weekend everyone.

Brian, thats the thing that I enjoy about swimming, when I'm swimming good it feels strong and smooth. My stroke is good but I have to swim 4+ days a week to feel strong. Most college swimmers in season swim twice a day 5-6 days a week. I believe most colleges are finished for the year, last week was the NCAA's.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Nevergivin's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 10