BT Development Mentor Program Archives » light_sabe_r's group is CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2008-05-09 8:22 AM
in reply to: #1349986

Subject: RE: light_sabe_r's group is CLOSED

I heart seafood of all kinds, esp. shellfish. Mmmm....lobster...

Hope everyone has a good Friday! I'm gonna be kinda busy today, so although I often leave the browser open, I won't actually be posting much.

2008-05-09 12:19 PM
in reply to: #1391942

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
I heart seafood, and I live on an Island in the Pacific ... works for me!
2008-05-09 4:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
I heart Seafood and live on an Atlantic coast, we have lots of fab seafood here and lochs where they harvest scallops and grow muscles. I'm even hoping to have my wedding reception at the Loch Fyne Oyster Bar. Mmmmmm
2008-05-09 4:09 PM
in reply to: #1393189

Kate_r - 2008-05-09 5:05 PM I heart Seafood and live on an Atlantic coast, we have lots of fab seafood here and lochs where they harvest scallops and grow muscles. I'm even hoping to have my wedding reception at the Loch Fyne Oyster Bar. Mmmmmm

Mmmm...scallops and mussels. I miss living in New England where clams and lobster are cheap and tasty all summer. Granted, around here you can find really tasty crabs (Maryland), but still.

2008-05-09 4:16 PM
in reply to: #1390574

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
esc - 2008-05-08 8:41 PM

I have a morning swim on the schedule for Saturday morning then I think I'm going to hit the local LBS to look at some road bikes. Saturday night I'm going to see Eddie Frickin Izzard!! I'm so stoked! Sunday is a longish run before heading out for a family Mother's Day gathering. Did I mention that I can't hardly wait to see The Izzard??!!

OOh I met him once, I did the whole fan thing of hanging round the stage door. It was just me my boyfriend and his taxi (who'd been there 20 minutes before we arrived). He chatted to us then signed the programme - he's a lot shorter than I imagined and has really piercing blue eyes.

I'm doing school work this weekend but have got a couple of rides and runs planned.
2008-05-09 5:18 PM
in reply to: #1393212

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Kate_r - 2008-05-09 5:16 PM OOh I met him once, I did the whole fan thing of hanging round the stage door. It was just me my boyfriend and his taxi (who'd been there 20 minutes before we arrived). He chatted to us then signed the programme - he's a lot shorter than I imagined and has really piercing blue eyes. I'm doing school work this weekend but have got a couple of rides and runs planned.

I sorta want to stalk him after the show and get his autograph and maybe see if I can get him to say "I'm covered in bees!" or "Tea and cake or death!".

2008-05-10 4:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Have you googled cake or death or the deathstar canteen - there are some great lego video's that go with the audio from Eddie Izzard. I quite often offer Alan choices that end with cake or death!
2008-05-11 11:17 AM
in reply to: #1391942

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
How's everyone's weekend going? I have done ZERO training this weekend, but worked Fri/Sat/Sun (today) ... and have gone for lunch or today am going to the street fair on lunch with co-workers, since it's my last days with them.

2008-05-11 11:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Springfield, Illinois
We are getting doused with rain and wind and cold. My Mother's Day bike ride just turned into pool swim. Other than that, it's been great!Having a fish fry tonite. All your seafood talk sparked a yen.
2008-05-11 5:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
Ok, please excuse me if this is a dumb question. I ordered a tri suit (the one piece thing) and if it arrives in time to get a few practice workouts in it to make sure it is comfortable I'm gonna try if for my Olympic on Saturday --- all that intro to my question: do I wear my bathing suit underneath it or go commando? Normally I wear my bathingsuit and then thrown on a top and bike shorts.

Oh -- did an open water swim in my boss's lake (not that big -- probably 200 yards across) - just did a few laps. At first when I got in I got that anxious panicky (sp?) feeling again - but then I let myself warm up and after a few minutes I got into my rythem (breathing every three strokes - thanks) and it went great. I feel much more confident in the lake water. I now know that I need to be one of those crazy people on race day who go in and warm up in the lake. Baby steps.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.
2008-05-11 5:08 PM
in reply to: #1395129

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
swise - 2008-05-11 3:02 PM

Ok, please excuse me if this is a dumb question. I ordered a tri suit (the one piece thing) and if it arrives in time to get a few practice workouts in it to make sure it is comfortable I'm gonna try if for my Olympic on Saturday --- all that intro to my question: do I wear my bathing suit underneath it or go commando? Normally I wear my bathingsuit and then thrown on a top and bike shorts.

Oh -- did an open water swim in my boss's lake (not that big -- probably 200 yards across) - just did a few laps. At first when I got in I got that anxious panicky (sp?) feeling again - but then I let myself warm up and after a few minutes I got into my rythem (breathing every three strokes - thanks) and it went great. I feel much more confident in the lake water. I now know that I need to be one of those crazy people on race day who go in and warm up in the lake. Baby steps.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

You won't be commando - you'll have your tri suit on! Wear it in place of a bathing suit - and just like a bathing suit, nothing underneath.
Make sure you get quite a bit of practice time in it though before a race, to make sure it's comfortable.

And congrats on the lake swim!!

2008-05-11 9:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD

WOW, what a weekend!  It wasn't meant to be that hectic but it was.  I'm actually glad I'm at work so I can take a breather for a bit.  O_O

Girl Guides on Friday.   Training, the markets and a baby shower on Saturday.  Household chores on Sunday... 

Seems like a lot of you were trapped indoors over the weekend.  hopefully the sun will shine and you can get out there this week!   

2008-05-12 2:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Sandy, I know what you mean abount wondering what to wear under a Tri suit - I just wear a bra under it as I'm one of those girls that needs the extra support and then just the suit. Last race I did I pulled a light vest over it that had my number already pinned on when I got to my bike in T1. I did manage to get a practice swim with it the day before the race (I don't know what I was going to do if I found that I couldn't use it ).
2008-05-12 7:44 AM
in reply to: #1395129

swise - 2008-05-11 6:02 PM Ok, please excuse me if this is a dumb question. I ordered a tri suit (the one piece thing) and if it arrives in time to get a few practice workouts in it to make sure it is comfortable I'm gonna try if for my Olympic on Saturday --- all that intro to my question: do I wear my bathing suit underneath it or go commando? Normally I wear my bathingsuit and then thrown on a top and bike shorts. Oh -- did an open water swim in my boss's lake (not that big -- probably 200 yards across) - just did a few laps. At first when I got in I got that anxious panicky (sp?) feeling again - but then I let myself warm up and after a few minutes I got into my rythem (breathing every three strokes - thanks) and it went great. I feel much more confident in the lake water. I now know that I need to be one of those crazy people on race day who go in and warm up in the lake. Baby steps. Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Right, the trisuit is like a bathing suit or bike shorts. You don't wear anything underneath. Most have a built-in bra to keep you "supported", but like bike shorts, you don't wear anything under them on the bottom. (And I hope you go commando with bike shorts!!)

I didn't spent the ENTIRE weekend indoors, though most of it. Saturday late afternoon/evening cleared up and was really nice, in time for the hash run. That was fun - BBQ afterwards.

2008-05-12 8:26 AM

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
Oh hai kids.

Signing up for my first tri this week.

Well, not my first, but my first since I was about 10-12 years old!

Oh, and it's National Ride Your Bike To Work Week, and I forgot to ride today. I told my cycking buddies at work I will make up for it by riding next Monday also.
2008-05-12 8:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Hi All,

It sounds like everyone had a great weekend. My husband and I are going on our Anniversary trip tomorrow. One week in North Carolina without kids. Whoo Hoo!!! So my question is.....what do you do to train when you're on vacation? and what do you do when your other half does not train? I need suggestions on how to keep going.

Thanks!!

2008-05-12 10:54 AM
in reply to: #1396076

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
gilmurray - 2008-05-12 6:58 AM

Hi All,

It sounds like everyone had a great weekend. My husband and I are going on our Anniversary trip tomorrow. One week in North Carolina without kids. Whoo Hoo!!! So my question is.....what do you do to train when you're on vacation? and what do you do when your other half does not train? I need suggestions on how to keep going.

Thanks!!

YAY for the holiday! Have fun, and don't worry too much about training. Just enjoy yourself.

I'm going to be in San Francisco for a week in early June ... my plans are to run the Escape from Alcatraz run route at least once (prob the closest I'll ever be to competing in that race!) and another 5-10K route another day ... I also want to catch a couple yoga classes, write it off as a business expense (ie: research) ... haha ...

I travel a lot, and it's tough for me to keep training when I travel. Even if my hotel has a gym or a pool I rarely use it. But usually I make up for it by doing lots of walking and hiking (sightseeing) ... and I try to plan ahead and research things and places that will motivate me to train, that will combine working out with being a tourist ... for example: the Escape from Alcatraz route, when I was in Northern California last year I had a list of local hiking trails that offered some pretty cool experiences, horseback riding on the beach in Costa Rica ... it may not be tri-specific, but it's definately cross training.

You can also put out a "help" thread to local BT'ers in North Carolina - asking for their advice and opinions on places to go and things to do that will keep you training.
2008-05-12 11:49 AM

Hey folks, so there is rain in the forecast all of this week - including Saturday, when my century ride is. And I just found out that there are some REALLY steep hills on the back 50 miles. In general, I don't want to ride in the rain, but there are hilly, curvy sections in the first 50 as well that I'd prefer not to have to walk my bike down. So please send prayers, thoughts, good juju, whatever your particular preference is to the powers that be that it DOES NOT rain on Saturday!!!!!!
2008-05-12 11:56 AM
in reply to: #1396076

User image

Colorado

gilmurray - 2008-05-12 7:58 AM Hi All, It sounds like everyone had a great weekend. My husband and I are going on our Anniversary trip tomorrow. One week in North Carolina without kids. Whoo Hoo!!! So my question is.....what do you do to train when you're on vacation? and what do you do when your other half does not train? I need suggestions on how to keep going. Thanks!!

I have never taken a trip without the kids, but I tend to just get up early and get as much of a run in as I can before everyone else gets up...or a bike if the hotel has a fitness center.  The kids love to swim so we always have to stay somewhere with a pool and we have to swim every night.  I probably swim more on vacation than when I'm not on vacation...although it's tough to track distance when you're pretending to be the shark that's chasing them

Enjoy!

2008-05-12 11:59 AM
in reply to: #1396671

User image

Colorado

wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-12 10:49 AM Hey folks, so there is rain in the forecast all of this week - including Saturday, when my century ride is. And I just found out that there are some REALLY steep hills on the back 50 miles. In general, I don't want to ride in the rain, but there are hilly, curvy sections in the first 50 as well that I'd prefer not to have to walk my bike down. So please send prayers, thoughts, good juju, whatever your particular preference is to the powers that be that it DOES NOT rain on Saturday!!!!!!

While I'm visualizing my hill climb on my bike today (because I can't actually do it ) I will also be visualizing a beautiful day--maybe just overcast enough so you don't get a sunburn--but NO RAIN for your century ride And sending those thoughts, prayers and all my good juju's your way

Edited by AndriaLL 2008-05-12 12:03 PM
2008-05-12 3:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
In terms of training while away I try to find a nearby gym or pool if I can and failing that I go for a run in a nearby park or round the streets. Even if you are with you partner you can usually slip out early in the morning or before dinner for a quick run just to keep things going. The main this is that if you're away you enjoy yourself.

2008-05-12 4:30 PM
in reply to: #1396443

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Hey Trina,

I just vacationed in San Francisco a few months ago.  If you're able to take a wet suit with you on your travels, you should check out aquatic park.  It is a little bay that has bouys and such set up for the express purpose of OWS practice.  I didn't have gear with me when I was there, but I sat and enviously watched the swimmers do laps.  Plus, the Ghiradelli store is really nearby so you can have some recovery chocolate when you're done swimming!

2008-05-12 5:56 PM
in reply to: #1397603

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
esc - 2008-05-12 2:30 PM

Hey Trina,

I just vacationed in San Francisco a few months ago.  If you're able to take a wet suit with you on your travels, you should check out aquatic park.  It is a little bay that has bouys and such set up for the express purpose of OWS practice.  I didn't have gear with me when I was there, but I sat and enviously watched the swimmers do laps.  Plus, the Ghiradelli store is really nearby so you can have some recovery chocolate when you're done swimming!

Haha yup chocolate - I'm all over that! It's always one of my first stops when in SF! ... I didn't know about the aquatic park ... that's very interesting - and definately worth checking out. I plan to post on the California BT page a few weeks before my trip - see if any local BT'ers there are willing to entertain me training-wise. But honestly, other than my runs and yoga sessions - I really don't think I'll be doing much for training that week - the trip is a self-reward for myself, for getting through a very very very difficult year of going to school full-time and working full-time (at a highly stressful job, that I have now quit - another self-reward;-) ... so I'm going to make the week all about me - and just do whatever the heck I want! If that means getting hammered on a liquid lunch in Fisherman's Wharf and blowing off my training - so be it! lol.

It's a great city, though, isn't it. I love San Francisco, and Northern California in general.
2008-05-12 5:57 PM
in reply to: #1395981

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
bcart1991 - 2008-05-12 6:26 AM

Oh hai kids.

Signing up for my first tri this week.

Well, not my first, but my first since I was about 10-12 years old!

Oh, and it's National Ride Your Bike To Work Week, and I forgot to ride today. I told my cycking buddies at work I will make up for it by riding next Monday also.

Missed this post the first time thru today - too much to read, people! ;-)

CONGRATS on signing up for your 'first' tri !! .. very cool, and very exciting! Where/when/details?
2008-05-13 2:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Brian, have you signed up yet? When, where, how long!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » light_sabe_r's group is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23