BT Development Mentor Program Archives » lkagop's Training Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2008-08-11 2:26 AM
in reply to: #1592973

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: So Fresh So Clean's Group - Closed (...ish, send me a pm)

Lora, all that is is an attempt to keep the bottom half of your body up at the water level.  A lot of people swim with their chests and head high, which in turn forces their lower body down in the water.  That means they are fighting through the water as opposed to gliding through it.  When swimming you should be looking straight down in the water, and the top/back of your head should just be skimming or slightly under the water.  If your head is 6in under water, you are way too low! You shouldn't have to "come up for air"!

I am going to defer to swim master Greg, but the above was how it was explained to me.  Hope it helps. 

2008-08-11 9:54 AM
in reply to: #1593546

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
So, if I my legs are at water level, I should probably omit this aspect.  Thanks for the feedback, Tim.  It's reassuring that it's not just me who thinks I'm too low.  I just "knew" that wasn't right. 
2008-08-11 4:25 PM
in reply to: #1385359

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Lora, do you have access to a pull buoy? If so, swim with that for a few laps and you will see a huge difference in where your lower body should be in the pool. I know after I do a few laps with the buoy, and then I am ready to do a longer swim without it, I can tell a mjor difference in body position and my balance.
2008-08-11 5:11 PM
in reply to: #1595436

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
A good friend of mine is the Aquatics Dir. at the Y.  I'm not a member but could get a daily pass and use a bouy.  Thanks for that suggestion, James; I never would have thought of that.
2008-08-12 1:06 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

I know we've talked about it before about whether to use socks or not, and after practicing with no socks I decided that I need them.  So, for those that use the socks, this was a great tip that was passed along to me before my last race.  I can now get them on in 4-5sec (both of them).

I get them ready the night before a race.  Put your socks on.  Then starting at the top, begin to roll them down.  Keep rolling them as you go down your foot.  It'll take a min or so.  Roll them all the way down to where you barely have the toe part sticking out.  Take the sock off your foot and it should look like a donut.  You are done. 

When it comes race time, set the sock on top of your bike shoe.  Then during the race all you need to do is grab it, stick your toe in, and then un-roll it over your foot.  There is no tugging or pulling it against your foot that is all wet. Voila!   2sec per foot and your socks are on. 

It has worked great for me.   

2008-08-13 11:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Thanks for all the kind words on my race everyone!  It was a great confidence booster and I needed it.  Getting a little nervous about the olympic distance coming up.  I think that that mught be it for me for the season (aside from a half mary).  It's been a long and tiring first season, and I'm broke. lol.  What's on everyone's schedule for the rest of the season?  Any particular goals in mind?

2008-08-13 1:54 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I am looking to go under 90 minutes in my next triathlon on Sept 14. I know I have been in the saddle more, I have been working on speeding up my runs, and also have been using a workout plan in my swim instead of just going out and swimming. I honestly think that the swimming in really helping me int he other two aspects of the race.

2 weeks after the tri, I am doing a duathlon (Los Locos) on the 28th and then a dash-n-splash in early Oct. Then I am done. I will have finished the season with 5 tris, 1 du and 1 aqua, which is alot looking back at it.

2008-08-13 4:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

James - that is a lot!  I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on over the rest of your season.

Jess - Events planned till April 09 are 10K Nike Human Race on 31st this month, Melbourne Half Marathon 13th Oct, Triathlon Pink (cancer fundraiser - women's event) 300Swim - 10kBike - 3k Run 2nd Nov then there is a tri series called Tri Series Challenge that has 5 races offer sprint distace which is what I will be doing 9th Nov through to 15th March 09 - will do 3 maybe?? Finally I have the Paris Marathon on 6th April 09 then time for a little rest!

2008-08-14 8:20 AM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

Hey, guys.  I really, really need your advice.  As you all know, at my first tri back in June, I struggled with the 400-some yard swim.

Since then, I've been really focusing on swimming because I want to do one more tri this season and it is my weakest sport.  I'm struggling between doing one that's 45 minutes away but has a 900 yard swim, or doing one that's 3 hours away but has a 250 yard swim and is a women's only.

While I have improved some in my swimming, I don't quite feel confident enough to double the distance I barely did in my first tri.  I've been doing some OWSs and am feeling more comfortable in open water, but, then again, there aren't 100 people around crashing into me.

I'm thinking that I'd like to finish out my first season on a positive note and the shorter tri would do that.  Plus, next year I'll be better and there are a ton of races closer by where I won't have to travel as far.

What do you guys think?

(Or did I just answer my own question?)

2008-08-14 8:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Think you answered your own question

I'm a sucker for all women events because I love the atmosphere so I would go for that one especially combined with the better swim distance for you at this stage but obviously you are the best person to make that decision. Good luck with it.

2008-08-14 12:05 PM
in reply to: #1602763

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I agree.  I would choose the shorter one.  I think being at the end of the season, go with the one in which you are comfortable and end on a good note.  If you had a month or two to really train hard then I would go for the longer one, but focus on the shorter one and get the experience in and save the longer one for next year. 

2008-08-14 1:24 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

OK, I will be the bad guy and I think you should go with the longer one, and here is why:

1. 3 hours just for a shorter swim?? Unless I thought I would place, I would not go that far just because of the shorter swim. The gas alone would be enough to get that wetsuit!!!

2. Yes, 900 yards is a long way, but if you want to end the year on a high note, what better way to do that than to overcome an obstacle?? You say you struggled with a 400 yd swim, but guess what? YOU DID IT!

3. I have not been comfortable in a race this year! That's why only the few, the select do triathlons! (cue music)

4. In my eyes, there are no guarantees for tomorrow. So I never try to put anything off that I can do now.

I think you can handle the swim, it spreads out and you can swim your own pace. In my Olympic, which was the 1st race of the year for me, I was nervous about the .9 mile swim, and I was no where close to where I am now in the water, but I did finsh it.

Sounds like you might have answered your own question, just wanted to throw my opinion in there.

James

Edited by jford2309 2008-08-14 1:25 PM
2008-08-14 1:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
I kind of agree with James on this one.  When are the races?  I think you'd be really surprised at what you can do.  Now I certainly don't want to talk you into anything that you feel that uncomfortable with, but as James said, tri's are always uncomfortable.  One of my favorite quotes is "it never gets easier, you just get faster".  You're not trying to place, you're trying to do something you love to do.  You don't need to worry about how fast your swim is.  Start at the back, and just go at your won pace.  If you have some time between now and then, swim.  You'd be surprised how fast you adapt.  Swim every chance you get, make sure to allow recovery time.  Are you on a swim plan?  I think a lot of people tend to get frustrated because they think they need to swim x number of yards at once.  Swimming in one of the few sports that you can build up your endurance in by doing short intervals.  You should be doing things like 4x100 or 8x50 with 15-30 seconds rest in between the sets.  It will make the swims much more enjoyable as well since you won't be struggling.  And for now, I would say don't think so much about your stroke.  Just put the time in.  You can fine tune the stroke once you build your endurance.  I hope that wasn't too much info.  I think you can do it, but it's all about what you want to do.  Either way, we'll be proud of you for doing another tri!  It's an accomplishment in itself.
2008-08-14 8:19 PM
in reply to: #1603904

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
jford2309 - 2008-08-14 2:24 PM

OK, I will be the bad guy and I think you should go with the longer one, and here is why:

1. 3 hours just for a shorter swim?? Unless I thought I would place, I would not go that far just because of the shorter swim. The gas alone would be enough to get that wetsuit!!!

2. Yes, 900 yards is a long way, but if you want to end the year on a high note, what better way to do that than to overcome an obstacle?? You say you struggled with a 400 yd swim, but guess what? YOU DID IT!

3. I have not been comfortable in a race this year! That's why only the few, the select do triathlons! (cue music)

4. In my eyes, there are no guarantees for tomorrow. So I never try to put anything off that I can do now.

I think you can handle the swim, it spreads out and you can swim your own pace. In my Olympic, which was the 1st race of the year for me, I was nervous about the .9 mile swim, and I was no where close to where I am now in the water, but I did finsh it.

Sounds like you might have answered your own question, just wanted to throw my opinion in there.

James

2008-08-14 10:15 PM
in reply to: #1603904

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

Not sure what happend with my last accidental post...

Anyway...WOW!  Thank you guys soooo much for your opinions.  I really do value what you guys said. 

Michelle, I think I did answer my own question, but after hearing from all ya'll, I'm not so sure.

Tim, I like the way you're thinkin'!

James, your #2 answer is really making me think!  Grrr .

Jessica, you and James are right about tris not supposed to being comfortable.  BTW, the shorter race is the 6th of September and the other is the very next weekend on the 14th.  Basically, I have 1 month to still train for that one.  Hmm, now that I think about it, that's still plenty of time.

I think I'll get a pass to the Y this weekend and go for 900 there and then go to the lake a couple times and make my decision then.  Plus, if I can buy and get used to a wetsuit between now and the 14th, that will help my comfort level.

Thank ya'll sooooo much again for your input.  I really appreciate it.  Good night!

- Lora

2008-08-15 1:50 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Not sure about the races up there, but down here they fill up very quickly.  I have to sign up for races months in advance or they sell out.  You might want to call and ask how full the races are before you wait too long and miss out b/c it was full.  Would hate for you to train and then there not be any spots. 

2008-08-15 11:03 AM

User image

Regular
Studio City

Lora, Good luck with whatever race you choose! I know how you feel, swimming is my weak spot (second to running ). But I have no doubt that you'll finish and do great no matter what!

Just have fun with it. You're doing it and that's all that matters.

2008-08-17 12:15 PM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
1. Swimming downhill and having your chest down are mental images. I remember my coach telling me to twist my body during my turn - I thought it was a stupid idea, but it turns out I was actually compensating for twisting the other way. So in your case, if your hips are already high, and your head is low, you don't need to practice this drill as much. (pssst.... send a video of your technique). Just imagine a line that pierces through the top of your head, travels along your spine, and out your feet. When you swim, this line shouldn't move much at all - well... it should rotate lots when you breathe and on each stroke, but that's it.

2. I agree with James in his choice of triathlons, but that's my nature. If you feel happy in being sure you can finish a triathlon, it's your choice. But I like to shoot for the stars and be happy wherever I land. This year I tried to break 2 minutes in my 200m freestyle, and tried twice - both were 2:01.6... and I was happy with those swims.
If you do choose the 900m swim, I can see two outcomes: 1) You keep your brain calm and relaxed and sure, you will swim to the 300m mark, take a break, do another 200m, then another 200m, then you will eventually finish and complete the triathlon (you can hang onto kayaks along the way). Or 2) you will be overwhelmed by the distance, start to panic, and not make the swim.
Either way, you should get in the pool at least twice a week until then (3 shorter swims per week is even better) - it will help you panic less, and your body gets swimming-strong surprisingly quick! I see in your logs there are some I-was-supposed-to-swim-today days, so a good way to overcome those is to reward yourself with ice-cream, a burrito, or a gorge of bad food whenever you swim on those days you didn't want to. The net benefit is positive.

3. I love the idea about the socks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I'm thinking I could have done past races going 5 seconds faster!

4. Hearing everyone's plans is amazing! Half marathons?? 7-race-seasons??? I will probably pick something up over the winter season - I still am getting over the swim career I just finished, but the winter months will definitely need a distraction. Maybe I should start this track-and-field thing I'm seeing on the TV?

Well good luck finishing up the seasons! Remember that for your last race you need to taper!

A taper means starting 2-3 weeks back from your last race, and doing less mileage but slightly more intense workouts with more rest. The first week should be slightly noticeably less - i.e. instead of a 60 minute bike ride, go 50 minutes with a longer warm up and warm down plus add 5x2minute bursts with 2 minutes rest in between. The second week should be even less exercise - your 3mi run should be 2-2.4mi with a few sessions of high-cadence running (180 strides/min maybe). And 3 days away from your last race should be about half of the distance - remember, you can not improve or remove your fitness within the 72-hour time frame, so at that time it's your job to feel good about yourself.

Have a great week everyone!

2008-08-18 1:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Go Aussies!!

How good were our girls today in the Olympic triathlon??

Emma Snowsill ran like a rabbit the whole way and Moffit did so well too.

I don't know about you guys but I could see the preparation Emma must have put into that event so look so fresh even at the end. What an inspiration.

Looked like a nice course.

The water temp was 27 degrees, they must have been cooking in that! Very pretty though and flat as a tack.

I'm pumped and very proud of our girls - what a day.

Congrats to you guys on Phelps awesome effort - what a legend!

2008-08-18 12:34 PM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
And here I sit in Canada - where we have few medals to be proud of, let alone a swim legend. But we did score a bronze in the pool!!!
2008-08-18 2:16 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

My pool was opened finally this morning after being closed for a week. All week I am watching the best swimmers in the world swim, getting me all excited and I can't get to a pool!

Anyways it felt great to get back in the water!

Off topic: I think we all should make video profiles on our profiles. I think we could all mention our team name (we did pick one right?) and talk about our season. I know I'd laike to put faces with names (of course I have an old mullet wig I might have to break out) but I think it would be fun!

2008-08-18 4:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I'm up for it but I will have to talk about the season I am hoping to have

James I did notice the lack of swim logs and wondered when the pool was going to be open again for you; being as consistent as you are in the pool in must have near killed you.

We did have a name - Team Alex.

Men's tri at the Olympics today (I think) so I'll be working with one eye on the telly again today.

Anyone else see the women's yesterday?

2008-08-18 6:46 PM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
I saw the swim and half of the bike of the women's. I guess that doesn't do me much good, except that Canada WAS doing well out of the swim.

I was thinking of doing a swim video for you guys. I mean, I thought it would be nice for me to demonstrate all the questions you have. Whether I could find someone to videotape me here is a different story. Maybe I'd just set up the camera and hope it captures me. There were some questions about swimming downhill, and I suggested a few drills beforehand, which might need a visual. And that way you could put a face to the name (and find out I'm neither clean nor fresh). So tell me if you'd like that, and what you would like me to demonstrate. After all, no one is sending me videos of their swim technique.
2008-08-18 7:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi Greg,

As soon as I can get someone to come along and video me (without being told off by the staff at the pool) I will send it through.

GIRLS: I just ordered a couple of running skirts - skirtsports brand a marathon girl and a gym girl - can't wait. Can you believe I can't get them here?? Had to order them from the US but they should be here in a couple of weeks. Can you tell I am looking forward to warmer weather??

2008-08-19 1:34 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

I saw the female tri and that aussie girl kicked some serious butt in the run.  That was pretty inspiring.  Can't wait to see the mens.

As for the video, I would love to see a swimming one.  Not really sure what I am looking for, just to see a good swimmer (b/c I am definitely not one).  I would possibly do the video thing, but I don't own one and I don't know anyone else that owns one.  Shocking, I know.  You would think someone would, but no one really has one.  

I would love to see others if you do them.   

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » lkagop's Training Group Rss Feed  

of 33