BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz winter training group is FULL!!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2009-01-20 9:35 PM
in reply to: #1919230

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Newbz winter training group is FULL!!!!!
sounds like a full schedule. if you want to share some injury free running i'll send some swim your way!

2009-01-21 7:23 AM
in reply to: #1858045

Great information on running - keep it coming!  I'm just getting a little glimpse - from perusing this site - as to how much there really is to running.  For me it's always been - just go run, and push yourself - or chase that guy with the ball...  That's the extent of the thought I've ever put into running.  It acually is a bit reassuring that there are tangible things I can do to become a better runner - that don't necessarily involve always killing myself.  Who knows - maybe I can learn to like running.  That would be interesting indeed.  I'm going to try to figure out how I can squeeze another run into my week...not sure of the best way to do that...  feels like the week is pretty packed now.
2009-01-21 7:49 AM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Regarding David long post about running:

I am going to try it.  I have heard it many times.  And as yet I have just not increased my running frequency.  Here is my data:

I have been training now for 540 days.  In that time I have only run 179 times at an average distance of 4.69 miles per run (839.5 total miles).  I am not any faster now than I was at day 100.  I will try to dedicate now through March to running a lot more often.  I'll probably through in some speed work when it get warm too.  I've found that I don't get injuries very much and I think it is fun. 

Help keep me honest everyone.  I need to run at least 5 times a week and probably get in at least 18 miles per week.  I'll try to keep it up through March. (by then the warm weather might make it easy to keep it going through summer).

Thanks David.

2009-01-21 9:28 AM

New user

Sorry for the brief lull in posts. Just got done with the first week back at school, and that can take its own toll.

gojogo, I am also doing my first indoor tri in a month. I'm really looking forward to it, and I really look forward to your race report. Should be interesting. 

Nice job on the 1/2 marathon. I heard rock'n'roll is a fun one.

I DVR'd the 2008 Ironman World Championship, but it somehow didn't record. If someone could direct me to that link that would be greatly appreciated.

I plan on posting the workouts I haven't gotten around to posting yet. Seems like everyone is doing well, keep it up.

2009-01-21 11:29 AM
in reply to: #1915471

User image

Expert
gojogo - 2009-01-18 9:26 PM

I picked up the flyer for the indoor tri that I'm doing Feburary 15th.  Its a 15 minute swim, 15 minute bike and then 15 minute run.   I thought I was swimming in a 25m pool, but the flyer says 25 yards.  So that throws my log off a little bit.  At least the times are accurate. 

Since this is my first tri - what do you bike and run in?  I have my thick biking shorts but I don't think they would be the best to run in.  What works best? 

Out of curiosity, how do the select the winner if each even it 15 minutes?  By the total distance?  If so, wouldn't this event be highly weighted towards cycling with swimming being almost irrelevant?

2009-01-21 11:36 AM
in reply to: #1920255

Extreme Veteran

They are going by distance.   The laps in the pool are going to be counted and then doubled, not sure why.  I was wondering how the resistance will be set on the bikes and if its adjustable.  I'm not really sure how that will be equal.  This is a first time for the event.  They'll probably need to make adjustments if they host it again.  I think its more of an event to keep people motivated and healthy than a race. 

2009-01-21 11:41 AM
in reply to: #1919923

User image

Champion
a bit more on running.

for all those looking to up milage/frequency, do so carfully.
if you are adding days, back down the distance of everything a bit for a week or two.
in other words if you go from 3 or 4 runs a week to 5 or 6, and, drop 30min runs down to 20, ect, and let your body get used to the shorter recovery between runs.

something else to keep in mind, when slowly adding distance per week, do not add more than 10% per week, and if you are in the least bit injury prone, back off from than even.

in regards to adding in speed-work, when running in the 15-25 mile per week range, you will see almost the same gains in speed from simply running more as from the speed, and have the added injury/recovery costs on there.
i forget who said it, but the quote "speedwork is the iceing on the cake, and you dont have a cake yet" is totally true.

the long run- long runs are a very important part of run training for anything a mile and over. however, many many people have long runs that are too long, or too soon into their program to be efective. for those newer to running, having a long run much more than a few miles longer than their ave weekly run is asking for trouble, is you ave 3-5 miles during the week, a weekend long run should be no LONGER than 7 or so miles. as you become more experianced with running, have been at it longer, you can start to figure out what works best for you here.
also as the distances of your focus races go up, this becomes more important that the long run is more relevent to your race distance, and will become longer (hopefully so will your total weekly milage).

most of this is just an overview, if you guys have questions, something doesnt make sense, ect, please let me know and i'll do my best to clarify.

2009-01-21 2:00 PM

Soooo....taking a look at my logs... how should I go about adding run work? And what kind?  Couple of things to consider - I don't want to give up the strength work I do - it's only twice a week - and important to me  - as a "true" clydesdale.   I run Tues/Thurs mornings.  Should I put a bike ride on Wed...and switch biking on weekends to a long run?  I try to get a light legs in on weekends too...

2009-01-21 8:47 PM
in reply to: #1920634

User image

Champion
unless you are tied to the interval runs with the trainer, my sudgestion would:

leave your other workouts as is if you can hold onto them and not over do it. that might take a week or two to figure out.

if you have the time, run 2 miles or 15-20 min 4 times a week, EASY pace. you should be able to carry on a converstion if you need to, this wont hurt, it wont feel all that hard. if this does not cause shin pain (very common in newer runners, or those starting back up), keep that, and run it again the following week. again if all is well, the next week add a mile to two runs, so you you have a 2, 2, 3 and 3 mile runs. hold that for a week, and then make one of them 4 miles.

or, do two 3 milers and a 2 mile run this week, add a 4th run next of 2 miles.

as you can see by either of those, building anything similar to that will work. the goal is simply to be running more, without hurting anything. i cannot stress enough how much you need to pay attention to going harder while building milage.

the main reason injurys tend to develope in newer/restarting runners, is that your aerobic system isgoing to improve/become in shape MUCH faster than your muscles, bones, and tendons will adapt to the running. if you build slowly and smartly, yyour times will keep coming down all year and well into the future, if you run just a bit too hard now and then, you can end the season now.

goodl uck and again let me know if you have questions.

About the indoor tri. the bikes in the ones i have done will be up to you to adjust to the resistance that works best for your riding style, just like racing outside, you pick the gear/cadence.

and thomas, yes it is a bit more bike weighted, but the others are still very important, its real easy to lose a lot of time on the swim. because you are not trying to get from A to B, a lot of epople dont push it much, have great bikes, and then find they are far enough back to lose.
2009-01-22 1:33 PM

User image

Expert

I found our group on the second page of the mentor groups because no one has chimed in a few hours so its a good time to ask; how is everyone doing?

2009-01-22 10:08 PM
in reply to: #1922872

User image

Champion
doing well here, bit of shin splints so i am taking this as a chance to kick start my cycling.
went and did the indoor trainer ride at tri-tech tonight.

2009-01-23 7:20 AM
in reply to: #1924105

User image

Expert

newbz - 2009-01-22 11:08 PM doing well here, bit of shin splints so i am taking this as a chance to kick start my cycling. went and did the indoor trainer ride at tri-tech tonight.

How did that go at Tri-Tech?  How many people were there?  I'll probably neve make it since Ihave to bring everything in with me in the morning, then go to work, then go to Tri-Tech - but I think about it a lot.  Also, do you have to be a member?  I think my membership with them expired in early Oct 2008.

2009-01-23 10:48 AM
in reply to: #1924308

User image

Champion
its a great time, there are between 5 and 10 people there (8 last night). we warm up for half an hour and then do one of the spinerval DVDs which is another 45min to 1:10 depending on the workout, then you can cool down.

its free for anyone, you just need to let them know ahead of time (call or email).

the last few nights for the half our warm up we have been watching tour de france videos, got to see one of the TTs from two years ago last night.
2009-01-23 11:32 AM

Extreme Veteran

I was able to work out everyday this week.  25-30 minutes each.  I'll shoot for a time increse next week.  Heading north for a full weekend of snowboarding.  That will help work on the core and the legs. 

Have a great weekend everyone. 

2009-01-23 12:07 PM

Extreme Veteran

There is a restaurant by my house that has Thursday night trainer rides.  Bring your trainer and bike and ride.  I haven't been yet but I hear it's a good time. 

2009-01-23 12:57 PM

User image

Expert

I just posted treadmill question to the forum.  If anybody wants to take a look and offer advice, here is the link:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=145245&posts=1#M1925349

2009-01-23 6:08 PM

User image

Pasadena, TX

I'm so jealous of you going snowboarding! Living in Houston it's pretty hard to get people together to go up north and they almost always flake out. Managed to go three times last year but so far this year's a bust....

Classes started this week and my schedule couldn't be better. MWF I have a 2 1/2 hour break during the day and TTH I don't go to class until 1 and then at 230 have a three hour break. I did my long run yesterday between classes! Sweet! Really pretty scenery around campus too and there are some nice parks around there etc. I was getting tired of looking at suburbia while running! I also swam in the rec facility today, actually the 1st time I've ever been in there, the pool is HUGE they have like 26 lanes and what must be a 40' diving platform. It's pretty amazing. I also saw signs all over for individual adult swim lessons for really cheap, taught by UH swimmers, so I may look into that. 

Sorry it took so long, but here is the link for the 2008 Ironman Championships, I had kind of a hard time finding it again, the 1st time I just clicked a link off the forum main page, and the next time I looked it was gone....

http://www.hulu.com/watch/52585/ford-ironman-world-championship-2008-ironman-world-championships

Well, later!

2009-01-24 12:10 AM
in reply to: #1919413

User image

Champion
first race of the year tomorrow, local 4 miler:-)

we'll see how this goes, looking to be COLD, and not been running too much lately, so not expecting great things, but my dad and youngest brother are coming to run too so should bea good time.
2009-01-24 4:09 AM

User image

Pasadena, TX
Good Luck! Should be fun. I had meant to register for a local 5k or something just to get used to the race environment again so that would be one less thing to worry about, but things are getting close and school just started, so I guess I dropped the ball there, no biggie though. I'm sure you will do very well, keep us posted! Cool
2009-01-24 2:11 PM

Went bike shopping today!!  I really would like to get one - very soon - so I can start participating in group rides with the local tri club.  It's so cold though - and it seems like I really need to test drive a couple for an extended period of time so I don't get the wrong one.  I'm also torn between two frame sizes - 60cm or 62cm... 
2009-01-24 2:40 PM

User image

Pasadena, TX
Yeah I hear you. I need to get on a bike real soon. I have a sprint tri coming up on March 1st. Can anyone point me in the direction of a place to get used road bikes, some kind of classified's or something? I'm looking pretty cheap for a road bike, aluminum frame, etc. Nothing that's gonna fall apart, but I'm pretty sure my cycling is gonna be 99% triathlon, so I'm gonna wait and spend real money when it's time to get a tri bike, and I'll have a decent road bike I can ride every once in a while as well. So I'm looking in the 500-600 dollar intro range....

2009-01-24 4:08 PM
in reply to: #1926958

User image

Expert

EightmanVT - 2009-01-24 3:11 PM Went bike shopping today!!  I really would like to get one - very soon - so I can start participating in group rides with the local tri club.  It's so cold though - and it seems like I really need to test drive a couple for an extended period of time so I don't get the wrong one.  I'm also torn between two frame sizes - 60cm or 62cm... 

I am a legitimate 6'2" (others guys my height call themselves 6'3" and I was fit to a 58cm frame.  My road bike is 60cm.  A lot can be done with the stem to get the right fit.

I also worried a lot more than necessary over the whole thing.  60 or 62 would probably work for you but I'd lean toward 60 especially if it is a tri bike.

Good luck.

2009-01-24 5:21 PM
in reply to: #1927079

User image

Champion
i would look on ebay, the classifieds of slowtwitch.com, or something similar for the bike.

between teh two sizes, if both will work, looking at the smaller is normamlly a better idea.

race went well, have not run much recently so no expecpations going in, but managed to hold on for 7th overall and a pace of 6:10 for 4 miles in absolutly freezing weather (19 with 20 mph winds!!)

hope everyone is having a great weekend/.
2009-01-24 8:52 PM

Ok...Thanks for the tip regarding choosing the smaller of the two sizes.  I can certainly ride either one...both felt comfortable...in different ways.  The 62cm - was more what I'm used to...but wasn't sure that I'd be very comfortable in a stretched out aero position.  The 60 seemed fine - but...for some reason - I was struck by the short wheelbase feel. Sort of the feeling you get if you ever drive a jeep wrangler and you're used to driving a large SUV.

At any rate - I definitely need to get more saddle time.  I was looking at the Trek 1.5, 2.1 and 2.3 (I think)  I can see this is going to be an expensive sport...

2009-01-25 12:23 PM
in reply to: #1927156

User image

Expert

newbz - 2009-01-24 6:21 PM i would look on ebay, the classifieds of slowtwitch.com, or something similar for the bike. between teh two sizes, if both will work, looking at the smaller is normamlly a better idea. race went well, have not run much recently so no expecpations going in, but managed to hold on for 7th overall and a pace of 6:10 for 4 miles in absolutly freezing weather (19 with 20 mph winds!!) hope everyone is having a great weekend/.

Real nice run.  I can't really dream right now of running that fast at my age and trying to come back from 15 years of not running.  Sounds like some good competition to run that fast for 7th overall.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz winter training group is FULL!!!!! Rss Feed  

of 20