BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri_sport19's Group - FULL (for now) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2009-03-16 9:28 PM
in reply to: #2021415

User image

Regular
Miami Fl
Subject: RE: tri_sport19's Group - FULL (for now)
cjhild - 2009-03-16 5:29 PM

I dont want to get out of triathlons.

I know, I really want to get back out on the trails and use my MTB, but I am conflicted with my races coming up, I do not want to injure myself again.

I really like your Allez, what kind of wheels are those?

<style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} The Wheels are:  black Xero Lite XR-1 aero 700c 16spoke front, 20 spoke rear.

I saw the pictures of your and my Mountain bike and I like to go back again.But like I told you I don't want to hurt myself and be out of training and triathlons.I was riding mountain bike with a friend all weekends for almost 2 years. Then little by little was less and less. After so many back and forward finally I listed on craiglist.com and a couple days later I traded it. A firefighter call me, he wanted to go back to the trails and I wanted to go out of them, perfect combination.

My friend almost killed me when I told him that I change my bike to do triathlons. After all I feel that I did it right. Man good luck with your conflict I don't know what I can tell you. I know is a difficult decision because I was in the same position.

2009-03-17 11:32 AM
in reply to: #1869304

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Here is my old school ride - it is a hand me down from my sister and probably a bit too small for me - but FREE none the less.  Hopefully this comes through...I have never posted a pic before. Alright "INSTALLED".

Edited by rymac 2009-03-17 2:46 PM

(Bike.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Bike.jpg (79KB - 28 downloads)
2009-03-17 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2023071

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

I have never posted a pic before.

Pic is a little small, who makes the bike?

2009-03-20 10:01 PM

User image

Regular
Miami Fl

Hi everyone

I want to share with you some web sites that are helping me a lot with my swimming technique and endurance:

www.totalimmersion.net

www.triswimcoachonline.com

Hopefully that works for you. Have a great weekend. See you around 

2009-03-21 3:48 PM

User image

Regular
Miami Fl

I don't be training today. My legs hurts !!!!  I'm walking like a robot !!! 

It was a long week between work and training and yesterday (Friday) I did double workout, running in the morning and swimming in the evening, but the problem was on Thursday night, I played soccer after 8 month (I could not resist to the temptation of playing again).I will taking 2 days off, I'll be back on Monday.

I hope you are doing ok, have a great weekend and see you around. 

Edited by ampryler 2009-03-21 3:58 PM
2009-03-22 10:52 PM
in reply to: #2023071

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

FREE

The price is right!  Hey, I have that rear water bottle, solid.

2009-03-23 2:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Ok, back to a regular schedule. Had spring break the last week and went to Texas to see some family. Lots of eating great food, but at least got a couple workouts in. Nice bikes everyone, I will get a pic of mine up soon. Great to see everyone is starting to gear up for their races.
2009-03-25 7:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York

For the majority of us race season is right around the corner, and for a lucky few it's already started!

One rule that can apply to all levels and distances of triathlon is "Nothing new on race day". In my opinion this rule carrys more weight as your race distance gets longer and applies to gear, pacing and nutrition.

This is a great time to start figuring out what food works well before a tough a workout, odds are that it will also work well on race day. Experiment with a few foods and decide if solid foods or liquids work better, as well as ideal timing for your pre-workout fueling.

For those of us racing sprints, odds are you won't need much more than one bottle of fluid on the bike. Water should work, but if you opt for sports drink...start training with it. If you're moving up to Olympic distance this year you may want to start looking into consuming more calories on the bike (I typically take in two gels during the 40k bike). Find a brand and flavor that works for you and doesn't give you GI distress. Remember, odds are that everything will be easier to eat when you're cruising in Zone 1, but everything gets a little more dificult at race pace (including digestion) so don't forget to practice eating and drinking at race intensity.

For those of us doing the half ironman distance (70.3), a strong nutrition plan is essential. Use your long rides and runs to experiment with nutrition products and quantities. Keep a log of what you consumed before and during your long workout and how you felt while riding/running. The next time out tweak the amount of calories you use and how you get them (solid, liquid or gel), the rule of thumb is that the average athlete will take in about 300 calories an hour. Eventually you'll find a plan that works for you, and remember everyone's plan will be different.

As for your gear, no matter what distance you're participating in you'll want to be familiar with your gear. Running shoes will need breaking in, you may need to get used to staying in the aero position for an extended period and swimming in a wetsuit is a completely different feeling than swimming without it. Make sure you allow some training sessions to take care of breaking in your equipment.

Pacing also needs to be worked on prior to the big day. While adrenaline can provide a bit of a boost on race day, it's not going to make up for going out 30 seconds to fast on the run. Find a pace for the swim, bike and run that feels comfortably hard but leaves something in the tank for a strong finish. This may go without saying but, if you're race is hilly...train on hills! If it's flat, train on some rolling hills for strength but also on flats to work on maintaining your aero position and a strong cadence.

Set up some "C" level races to practice pacing, nutrition and transitions and it'll be smooth sailing for your "A" race!!

Happy Training!

2009-03-25 7:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
Here are some photos of what your transition area set up could look like. I set my bike up on the trainer, so it's not actually hanging on a rack, but I think it serves the purpose. The first photo is o my typical Olympic distance set up. You'll notice that there's not too much there, a bottle on the bike, my running shoes, bib number, cycling shoes, running hat and a gel. My helmet is sitting on my aerobars with my sunglasses inside

(triathlon transition 001.JPG)

(triathlon transition 007.JPG)

(triathlon transition 005.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
triathlon transition 001.JPG (45KB - 32 downloads)
triathlon transition 007.JPG (43KB - 29 downloads)
triathlon transition 005.JPG (45KB - 33 downloads)
2009-03-26 12:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

Cool pics, thanks.  Seems like it is not enough stuff, but you really don't need anything else.  My vision before doing a race was to have all kinds of stuff sitting there.  I can't wait till May 9th for my next race.

You guys have any races coming up soon?

Meg- How did your race go?

2009-03-26 1:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York

A lesson I've learned through the past few seasons is "less is more", of course you'll have essential items, but the more you lay out the more you have to think about.

In a sprint triathlon my transition area will consist of a pair of running shoes. My helmet and shoes will already be on the bike.

And yes...please post links to race reports!

2009-03-30 9:45 PM
in reply to: #2041798

User image

Regular
Miami Fl

Hey Matt:

Let me ask a question. I saw in the pictures that you have an adamo saddle, it's really the best saddle? I tried two saddles already and I did some research about it and my plans are to buy an adamo racing or a Profile Design Tri Strike Ti. wich one is the best option? what you recommend?Thank you in advance.

ANDRES

Edited by ampryler 2009-03-30 9:45 PM
2009-03-31 7:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York

Andres,

A saddle is really personal preference. The Adamo has worked well for me, I have it on both my road and tri bike. It's a bit wider at the "nose" than most saddles and is very short in comparison with anything else out there. I you do get the Adamo try using zip ties to pull the nose closer together.

If your local bike shop will let you try one out I'd recommend that. The Adamo takes some getting used to, but with a good bike fit it should work well. I've never used the other saddle you've mentioned so I can't really speak about it.

2009-04-01 1:40 PM

User image

Veteran

Got this bike last year and have loved it.  The price was right and I didn't want to spend a ton of money not knowing 100% that I was going to love this sport. Haven't done much to it except for a seat and clips, added aero bars this year. Plan on getting a TT Bike next year, give me something to save for.

Bike

2009-04-01 11:00 PM
in reply to: #2050428

User image

Regular
Miami Fl

Thanks Matt for the advice. I asked in 2 bike shop and they don't have the saddles to try, so bad !!!! I was looking both saddles on ebay and the profile design tri strike ti is a lot cheaper.I'll try this first to see what happen,if it's not comfortable I'll go for the ADAMO.

Thanks again

2009-04-02 1:46 PM

Thank you for the transition photo's! Question: on the run, for an olympic, do you use the water/fuel belt? I was kind of hoping to just grab water during the run. Don't most races have a few water stops?

My race season started a few weeks ago with an indoor tri and made me realize I need much more work on the bike, even though I came in 2nd out of the 50 women competing!!

My first "real" race is April 18th, even though the swim is inside. It will be my first real opportunity to try transitions which I am excited about!

Then I'm on to my first half marathon April 26th, then a sprint May 31st,  another sprint June 13, My "A" race the NYC tri (olympic) and finishing the season with a sprint in August. I would have liked to have done another olympic in August or Sept, but I can't seem to find one that is still open and somewhat near NYC.

What about the rest of you guys ? Are you all feeling ready?

2009-04-02 8:41 PM
in reply to: #2058052

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York

For an Olympic triathlon I use what's on coure, I throw a gel in my jersey pocket and use the water at the aid stations. The fuel belt is something new I've been using this season and will use during half ironman races.

Nice work on your first tri of the season, 2nd out of the water is incredible!! The Nation's Triathlon in Washington DC is a great Olympic distance, a bit of a drive but worth it in my opinion. There's also the Park City Mossman Olympic in Bridgeport, CT in late August. That race is fun, a two loop swim (with beach run), 6 loop bike and one loop run.

2009-04-05 9:51 PM

New user

Hey everyone,
I hope you're all doing well with training and triathlon events.  I completely fell off of the training wagon for a while, and then sprained my ankle (playing volleyball) a month ago, and haven't been able to do much.  I got back to at least using an elliptical trainer for now, and I think I might do the triathlon on a team, and swim.  I don't think I'll be able to run on my ankle soon enough.  It feels good to be working out again though.

How is everyone else? 
2009-04-06 9:18 AM

I have a very beginner bike question.

I went from a mountain bike where the gears had a little display that told me which gear I was in on each side(left side have 1,2,3, right side had 1-9), to a road bike, with no such display.

I have a hard time figuring out what gear I am in a lot of the times, and find that sometimes I can't downshift (?) the big gear on the left side, my bike just won't allow it. I am guessing that is because of the gear I am on on the right side is too high?

Basically I'm having a hard time with switching gears effectively and I'm frustrated with riding because I feel like I'm always struggling to get into the right gear.

Any suggestions on how to figure this out so I know what the heck I'm doing out there?
2009-04-06 11:44 AM
in reply to: #2065159

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
NYC_Meg - 2009-04-06 10:18 AM I have a very beginner bike question.

I went from a mountain bike where the gears had a little display that told me which gear I was in on each side(left side have 1,2,3, right side had 1-9), to a road bike, with no such display.

I have a hard time figuring out what gear I am in a lot of the times, and find that sometimes I can't downshift (?) the big gear on the left side, my bike just won't allow it. I am guessing that is because of the gear I am on on the right side is too high?

Basically I'm having a hard time with switching gears effectively and I'm frustrated with riding because I feel like I'm always struggling to get into the right gear.

Any suggestions on how to figure this out so I know what the heck I'm doing out there?

The shifting problem may be due to your derailleur and/or cables. If the cables are stretched too far or are too tight, they will effect the shifting abilities. Also, and I know this sounds obvious, but make sure you're pushing the correct shift lever.

As fo knowing what gear you're in, I think that's something that comes with time. I don't also know exactly what gear I'm in but I have a good idea of how many gears iI "have left" if I'm climbing a hill. Of course the times have come when I wanted to downshift only to find that I was already in my easiet gear!

If you have a triple (3 sprockets up front) you'll find it difficult to pedal well, and it will be noisy, when you're in the smallest up front and the smaller gears in the back (an vice versa, big and big). The gears arent meant to be ridden that way, it puts the chain at too sharp of an angle.

ETA: Make sure you're pedaling through your shifts, this will help move the chain. Also, you may need to downshift the rear cassette (shift into an easier gear) before shifting into the big ring up front.

Edited by tri_sport19 2009-04-06 11:46 AM
2009-04-17 9:53 AM

User image

Veteran

Hope everyone has a great and safe weekend! Planning on getting some long miles on the bike and run. Gotta start getting ready for my first tri of the year in 2 1/2 weeks. Very nice that the course is practically out my back door so training on it and getting ready for it is going to make the world of a difference.  Hope everyone's training is going good!

2009-04-17 9:59 AM

User image

Veteran

Hope everyone has a great and safe weekend! Planning on getting some long miles on the bike and run. Gotta start getting ready for my first tri of the year in 2 1/2 weeks. Very nice that the course is practically out my back door so training on it and getting ready for it is going to make the world of a difference.  Hope everyone's training is going good!

2009-06-08 10:47 PM

User image

Veteran

anyone out there?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri_sport19's Group - FULL (for now) Rss Feed  

of 9