BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tami's Group - CLOSED - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2009-02-04 8:51 AM
in reply to: #1884714

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
Subject: RE: Tami's Group - CLOSED - FULL
Everyone who is going on vacation - have fun. I'll be here here with Lynn and whoever else keeping the board warm.

My beef today is with the weather. Over the last few days it has actually been warm out meaning above freezing. Some of you might be shaking your head with me saying above freezing is warm, but when you compare it to what we have been getting it is. Plus this weekend is supposed to be above freezing. YEAH!!! So you might be asking where is the complaint. On the day that I run outside (meaning today), it is -15C (with windchill of -24C). Why is it that on the one day of the week that I have to run outside it is COLD!!!! It is not fair. Last week I wimped out of my run due to the snow storm. This week I am braving the cold and running. Oy. Maybe I'll make some hot chocolate when I get home to warm up.

2009-02-04 7:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Hey Mel!  Weather is always my beef. Chicago is more extreme than the northwest US...as far as lowest colds, highest hots, and humidity.  It just sucks.  I have been dealing with similar weather as you lately.  I ran inside last week (when I ran) since I wanted to "acclimate" to the 50-60f weather forecasted for new orleans. Now that that is over, I have no excuse for the tmill vs outside.  Any runs over 1 hr will be outside.

This wonderful weather (and probably the travel) has given me a huge, nasty cold.  I am going to bed here shortly...pathetic.  But I have a must-go-to party on Friday night.  So I have to try to fight it.  Not to mention these are not the days not to be at work===reports need to be done asap and fire drills are abundent!

I managed 1 hr on the bike during lunch today. That was weird...I felt extremly guilty for being away from the office for 1.5hrs.  But hey- I worked from 8:15-7pm tonight....vs normal 8:30ish-5::15ish.   Everyone was ok with it...I just have a guilt ocmplex.

I think I will skip my swim in the morning due to the cold (shucks) I have a slight cough, so not sure if I will do the afternoon run.  I can't remember what it is now.

2009-02-07 7:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
I need to post since half the group is away and I haven't posted in awhile.

I think I am getting some sort of a cold. My sinuses are killing even though I am not stuffed up. I am sure it is coming. Today while I was at the gym, I just wanted to lie down. My head felt exhausted, but my body was saying - GO GO GO. My body won the war and I did a workout. My head is still feeling out of it, but I will still be waking up before the birds tomorrow and going to my triathlon practise.

Looks like I shouldn't have complained about the weather last week. This week on wednesday for my run it'll be a balmy 12C however it will be raining. Which means no outdoor run for me. I'll run in -15C outdoors but I will only run in the rain on race days. Maybe the rain will stop just enough for my run. It is still a couple of days away.
2009-02-07 9:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Mel- Your sinuses are buggin' because of the weather. Great job getting the workout in even though the head said no....not sure I would have will power to do that.  Did your head at least feel better during the workout....I know when my sinuses are bad, if I can will myself to be verticle, and workout, I get a little reprieve.

Hmm, you hate running in the rain?  I love it! It reminds me of high school cross country when a "hurricane" like wind storm was coming in.  The six of us grabbed some insulation that flew off a nearby home construction project then immitiated the six dollar man and wonder woman as we tried to run in the rain beating down on us, with only the insulation as protection!  It was so much fun.  The team really bonded that day. The coach thought we were crazy, but did not let on.  He was proud....and it worked out at the meet later that week.  We blew the other school out of the water!

One of my running buddies now won't run in the wind, but will run in the rain.  I just get a smirk when I think of that day!

Oh- final thought...when you have to step through puddles (like I did today when all the snow was melting) it creates little obstacle courses. Which jazzes up the workouts.  Not to mention, when it is raining, you get to sing "rain drops keep falling on my head...falling on my head"...or shout "just singin in the rain, just singin in the rain, what a wonderful feeling, I'm happy today!"

Have fun at the workout tomorrow morning....yes, jealous again

2009-02-09 10:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
this thread is not getting enough love so thought I would post something. I went to the gym today and I had to push for my run today. I just couldn't get into the groove.

It is still scheduled to rain on Wednesday - not sure what I am going to do. Run outside (I doubt that), run indoors, or do a cycle class.

One month as a member, how is everyone doing?
2009-02-09 10:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
I wanted to add one more thing. Every sunday I weigh myself. The past 2 weeks I have been slightly under 140. I was really happy about that as I have not been that weight since high school. It was always a goal to be 130 - 135 but in the back of my head I never thought I would reach it.

So last week I was 139.8 and then yesterday 139.4. I figured I finaly may be sticking to under 140. And then today about 36 hours after I weighed in, on the same scale I weighed 137.6. I did a double take. I even went back on the scale about 30 minutes later thinking it was wrong. All of a sudden I lost almost 2lb. If I actually reach 135 I will freak. I expect the next time at the gym it to be higher, but if it is not WOHOO!!!

Edited by mellymedic 2009-02-09 10:25 PM

2009-02-10 7:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Melanie- Great job on the weight loss!  I wish I could get back to high school levels!

Well, I completed yoga last night, swam this morning, and just ran an hour.  So I am on schedule with my HIM training program.  Good, but usually wek 3 is my issue.

You'all made me sign up for swimming lessons andgot me back in the pool, so this forum is awesome!

2009-02-10 8:17 PM

User image

Regular
Madison, WI

I'm back from skiing, just watching the biggest loser. I got in a short run today outside because the weather has been so nice!

Good work Mel! Looks like all the hard work is paying off for you and I"m sure it will continue throughout your training.

I need to get back to the pool...

2009-02-10 8:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

I'm tight and I'm sore and the left side of my body sucks! 

Oh- well, tomorrow is another day  I only have to lift (which I think is what messed up my left butt in the first place) and ride for an hour I think.

Work sucks!  I really enjoy what I do, and I am working on a very interesting project, but the environment sucks right now!  I really wish I had a ski or diving vacation planned,,,,,

Maybe I will check with my local dive shop to see if I can rent an hour of their pool this weekend just to tool around in and be silly.  That might be fun....

2009-02-11 6:38 AM

User image

Veteran
nearby the city of brotherly love

Hi guys!

Mel--good job on the wt. loss--stay positive!

Peanut--how was skiing? where did you guys head to (what mountain)?  I was out that way a few years ago at Snowmass--wanted to go back ever since!

Speaking of pool--I've got to sign up someplace closeby..my butt could use a good dip in the pool!

2009-02-12 7:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

I did it ya 'all!  2 times at the pool this week!  I have to admit, today was real tough. I totally did not want to go after work today.  But I decided to do a brainless set of 3X500.  It helped  de-stress me. And greatest bonus---when I left, it was me and 7 guys in the pool.  What a nice valentines day treat

Let's see if I get up to run tomorrow am as I am meeting a friend for dinner and to go through my closet .....a mini "what not to wear" session

2009-02-13 12:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
Lynn - congrats on the swimming.

Well I skipped my outdoor run on Wednesday and because I skipped it it didn't rain acccording to one of the runners. Oh well. I still went to the gym for a workout though.

Things at work this week have been very rough. I am not sure I am even going to still be employed at my job next week. I actually saw an advertisement for my job on a job board. Not very comforting.

The good news is that I have a job interview for another company afterwork. The bad news is that the location of the interview seems very sketchy to me. The place of the interview is not the same location of the company on their website. And the interview is in a sketchy part of town. I am actually having my parents meet up with me before the interview to make sure everything is valid. I am a bit scarred for my safety which I didn't think would ever be a concern going to a job interview. I am hoping everything turns out ok.

Due to the interview I think today will be an off day for a workout.

Plus I have a 5k race this sunday so I don't want to push it too much.
2009-02-13 3:26 PM
in reply to: #1960934

User image

New York, NY
Good luck with your interview!! Stay safe and let us know how it turns out!! Good plan to meet your parents!
2009-02-13 5:33 PM
in reply to: #1960934

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

mellymedic - 2009-02-13 12:19 .....Things at work this week have been very rough. I am not sure I am even going to still be employed at my job next week.....

I know a few of us are going through the same thing.  Just try to stay positive, focus on your stengths, and be safe with the freakin interview----I am so glad you thought to have your parents meet you!  Let us know how it goes!

I skipped my workouts today.  Primarily because of stress.  So I am hanging out with a friend tonight and tomorrow I will be back to working out.  Besides, I think my body could use it.  I have double workouts planned for Saturday and Sunday, so its not like I will lose much.....and  after all...I deserve some props cause I swam 2x this week

2009-02-13 5:54 PM

User image

Veteran
MEL! CONGRATS ON THE WEIGHTLOSS!!!!! THAT'S SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynn - way to get in the pool!!!!!

I just got back from Mexico at 1:00 a.m.....I'm tired!
2009-02-13 6:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
Welcome back T!  I hope you had fun. 

2009-02-14 4:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Had an absolute blast!

Now - time to get back to business!

What's everyone doing this weekend for workouts?
2009-02-14 6:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
I feel like with my week from Helll that I have been absent from this site. Time to catch up

Tami - welcome back. Glad to hear you had a good time. Granted it is hard not to in paradise.

Lynn - you definately deeserve props from going from no swimming to swimming twice this week. congrats. Now youjust have to keep it up

Yesterday my week from hell ended with an extreme day from hell. Which unfortunately went into a little bit of ther interview. I get to the place which is only minutes form where I currently work with about 10 minutes early. I then realize that I forget to write down where to go in the building so I go back to my work to look it up onmy email. By the time I get back to my office it is 5:30 so now I am late for my 5:30 appointment. I call to say I am running a few minutes late due to work and will be there shortly. Strike 1 for me. When I get asked if I have a copy of my interview with me I say yes - open my folder and see the orange envelope with the resume as missing. I am thinking to myslef damn it fell out and must be in may car. Strike #2 for me. The interviewer pulls it up on his computer. The rest of the interview went ok but I was starting the interview with 2 strikes. I's be shocked if I go thte job. Oh well.

Ever since I got home friday night I have been in a blah mood. I went for a swim today, and near the end of the swim I started to think about work, and it just started to upset me to the point that I didn't want to swim anymore. I need to get out of this funk. Maybe on tuesday once I find out if I still a job or not the stress will ease.

Tomorrow I have my first 5k race of the year. The good news is that the sun will be shinig with temperatures just below zero. That sounds perfect to me. The bad news is that I am having a bit of pain above my ankle - never had pain there before. Not sure how running will work as I feel it when I walk. I have already iced it twice today and will do a 3rd time later tonight. I am going to try and get a PB tomorrow but I don't know if the course is hard or not so we will see.

It is a long weekend in ontario here - familly day on Monday. YIPEE

I think this post is long enough. I hope everyone else is having a good weekend.
2009-02-14 9:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Good luck with the race tomorrow.  Let us know how you do!  Is it the inside, outside, or top front of the ankle that hurts? 

I only ran today.  This afternoon I went for my hair appointment and it looks fabulous.  So instead of getting it all sweaty on the bike this evening, I decided to simply not sweat and watch tv. Plus, I picked up a migraine and my sinuses started buggin.

I am a bit off from my HIM schedule, but I think I might try to ride the trainer as long as I can--hopefully 2 hours---then maybe a 40 minute run.  My legs are real tight and heavy though.  So I might also try to squeeze in a massage.  Or some accupuncture on Monday on my achilles.  We'll see how the resume and work writing goes tomorrow.

Mel- I also have Monday off---it's "president's day" here.  

2009-02-14 9:37 PM
in reply to: #1962729

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
LB22 - 2009-02-14 10:25 PM

Is it the inside, outside, or top front of the ankle that hurts?

It is the above the ankle (maybe an inch above) that hurts on the outside of the foot. It hurts when I turn my foot outwards and I feel it when I walk.
2009-02-15 9:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Mel - Sorry you had such a bad week. Really stinks - but it does sound like you have the right attitude - you are still working out, still pushing through and you will PR today!

Did the ankle pain start after some incident? Roll it on a rock outside? Something else?

Lynn - I love the comment about your fabulous hair - that's awesome! lol

I'm not sure what I will do today....probably run and swim. I've been "off-track" for the past 1.5 weeks so tomorrow I'll be "on-track" with the next plan from my coach.

2009-02-15 9:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Tami- Well you body and brain should be fresh to tackle what ever plan you coach dishes out!

Mel- SOunds like it is just a nasty sprain.  You are doing the right hting--ice.  Maybe rest it after the 5k today-no running for a week..just swim and maybe bike, it it feels ok.  GIve it time to heel now...before it turns into something worse.

Ladies my coffee tastes real good this morning...after 11 hours of sleep!  (Guess I was coming down with something).  Bike and run to start at some point this morning.

2009-02-15 1:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
well I am back from my race.

I have good news and bad news.

When I started my warm up I was feeling the pain a little in my leg but it felt like after a couple of minutes it would go away and thankfully it did. It didn't bother me at all during the race. I was really happy with my splits during the race. The first 1km split I believe was way off cause I don't even sprint that fast. I ended up do a personal best with a time of 28:38 or around there. I was 20 seconds faster than my best time and for a winter race when you are not really at your peak it is great.

One of my main goals is to get a medal by placing in my age group. Today I placed 3rd in my age group. Too make that sound even better I was 3rd out of 5 plus it was a 10 year age group not just a 5. I bet you are all thinking yeah she got her goal of a medal. but your wrong. They gave out chocolate hearts since it was a valentine's day run. Why do I want chocolate when I am an athlete trying to eat right? I made it halfway to my goal. I gotta keep trying.

Overall it was a good day.

I have another 5km race next week, maybe I'll ger another PB.

2009-02-15 2:31 PM

User image

Veteran
MEL!

A PR in the wintertime chocolate heart or medal is still a PR! And - like you said - having a 10 year span for age groups makes it all the more difficult! This is FANTASTIC!!!!

I hope that next weekend they have the medals ready and waiting...

How does your ankle feel now?

I just finished my workouts for the day and am SO tired. Did a 1 mile time trial and swam 4000 yards for time to compare to last year. I took 9 minutes off my swim time (was aiming for 10 minutes - dammit!), but it was an 11% decrease and in the pool, that's not that easy. So overall - I'm happy....I'll keep working to get that other minute decrease....

T
2009-02-15 8:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

According to HIM plan, tomorrow is an off-day. Which means yoga to me.  But since I have the day off work, I might go for a run and do a bike.   I little double duty in between doing work that I brought home...to do on my day off.....and a few other things. 

I did reward myself with a pedicure today...and to not scare away my fellow yoga-mates this week!  Don't get the "I'm down with Karma" by OPI: it is more pink/orange then red.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tami's Group - CLOSED - FULL Rss Feed  

of 14