Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Terri Schiavo Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2005-03-31 11:56 AM
in reply to: #136206

Subject: RE: rant
I just saw on CNN...that Michael Schiavo didn't allow Terri's parents at her bed side, before her death. So, Fox isn't only reporting that. Michael has been living there (at the hospice) since 3/18?

This guy's actions are bizarre, in my opinion--just bizarre. Not judging the person...but his actions make no sense. Why not let the parents near her side? I dunno....I just pray for all parties involved. It'll take a long time for them all to heal from this ordeal.

2005-03-31 12:10 PM
in reply to: #136220

User image

Buttercup

sharonnagy5 - 2005-03-31 11:56 AM This guy's actions are bizarre, in my opinion--just bizarre. Not judging the person...but his actions make no sense. Why not let the parents near her side? I dunno....

Don't quote me on this but I believe there was a good deal of animosity and bitterness between the Shindlers and Michael Schiavo. I don't think they saw eye to eye on things related to Terri.

Sometimes a person's actions make no sense to us because we don't know what's in their hearts or minds. It's easy to project nefarious motivations; harder to simply not judge and accept that we don't know the truth of their experience. Personally, I find it a wiser pursuit to try to understand the truth of my experience and leave others to theirs. I think luminous figures such as Buddha and JC had something to say about that.

2005-03-31 12:15 PM
in reply to: #136220

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
sharonnagy5 - 2005-03-31 10:56 AM

I just saw on CNN...that Michael Schiavo didn't allow Terri's parents at her bed side, before her death. So, Fox isn't only reporting that. Michael has been living there (at the hospice) since 3/18?

This guy's actions are bizarre, in my opinion--just bizarre. Not judging the person...but his actions make no sense. Why not let the parents near her side? I dunno....I just pray for all parties involved. It'll take a long time for them all to heal from this ordeal.

From the front page of today's NY Times:

Terri Schiavo, the severely brain damaged Florida woman who became the subject of an intense legal and political battle that drew responses from the White House to Congress to the Vatican, died today, 13 days after her feeding tube was removed on the order of a state court judge.

Ms. Schiavo, 41, died just before 10 a.m. today in the Pinellas Park hospice where she had lived, off and on, for several years, her parents' attorney said. But even as she slipped away, the searing emotions that surrounded her final days remained, following a national debate over whether she should have been reconnected to a tube that provided her with nourishment and hydration.

The lawyer, David Gibbs, said Ms. Schiavo's brother and sister were with Ms. Schiavo until just before she died.

"While they are heartsick, this is indeed a sad day for the nation, this is a sad day for the family," Mr. Gibbs said. "Their faith in God remains consistent and strong. They are absolutely convinced that God loves Terri more than they do. They believe that Terri is now ultimately at peace with God himself.

"They intend to comfort themselves with their faith and with their family at this time."

CNN reported that Ms. Schiavo's husband, Michael, was with her when she died.

Her parents, Robert and Mary Schindler, came to the hospice shortly after they learned of her death and prayed at her bedside, said Brother Paul O'Donnell, a Franciscan Friar who has served as a spokesman for the parents. They left shortly thereafter.
2005-03-31 12:18 PM
in reply to: #136225

He should have let the parents in to see their daughter for the last time. I hear what you're saying (well, typing) but, I think that he should have risen above those "differences"...and let them see her. Just my 2 cents.

Oh well....she's in a better place. And only God, Michael, and Terri know what really happened in all of this. Somewhere in the middle...there's the real truth.
2005-03-31 12:42 PM
in reply to: #132794

Elite
Livingston, MT
Subject: RE: Terri Schiavo
Good job everyone, we broke 200 posts for this thread. Not easy to do in a triathlon forum!

2005-03-31 1:02 PM

User image

Regular
To all,

she passed and what was a true family tragedy was paraded across the national media for all to see. I have only to things to say:

1. May Terri finally rest in peace.
2. May the family both Michael schiavo and the Schlinders begin to heal not only themselves but their relationship which was once very strong.

and one final thought. anyone who has their child arrested should be ashamed of themselves. 10 year olds do not come up with that on their own without parental prodding. JMHO

2005-03-31 2:04 PM
in reply to: #136185

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio

I agree that we more or less agree, but seeing an opportunity to flex the dust off my philosophical muscle, (insert Samuel L. Jacksons vocal outrage from Pulp Fiction) ALLOW ME TO RETORT:

"By your argument does that mean you can marry a 12 year old. Of course not, because a state government has the right and power to regulate the age of marriage." -John

The intent of a state not allowing a 12 year old to marry (and I will have to take your word for that... sounds reasonable) would be rooted in a more fundamental opinion/consensus that a 12 year old is not mentally or emotionally capable of making that kind of decision and marrying a 12 year old would ultimatley be legalized rape, based on statutory rape laws already in effect.

Gay marriage and the legitimacy or lack thereof is not based upon a law, but based upon the religeous conviction that marriage can only be between a man and a women. State legislatures and dumbgress can write laws so that it would become illegal (or may already have them on the books), but that is my point. Legislatures have no moral or ultimately legal right to block this. Hick states can write all the laws they want defining marriage as between a man and a woman, but the fact that they avoid stating simply that marriage is denyed to gay couples is becuase to do so would be illegal.

What these lawmakers are in effect saying is, we will tolerate the behavior, but we will not formally acknowledge that is it happening because we don't like it. It's discriminatory at its base and not far removed from the government saying "we know you are going to die, but we refuse to acknowledge your right to do so."

To make the connection comparing the states right to deny marriage to a 12 year old who is not emotionally equipped to marry and is already legally barred from all that marriage entaills, to a fully capable, well..., that dog just won't hunt. A 12 year old's rights in society are already curtailed - a 12 year old is a minor, therefore does not have the same rights as an adult. A gay adult has, under the law, every right a straight adult has. Except when it comes to marriage. Discriminitory and ultimately illegal, no matter how you slice it.

2005-03-31 2:08 PM
in reply to: #136243

User image

Buttercup

nebottomdweller - 2005-03-31 1:02 PM  and one final thought. anyone who has their child arrested should be ashamed of themselves. 10 year olds do not come up with that on their own without parental prodding. JMHO

His father is a convicted sex offender. But the crime wasn't his fault - according to him, evolution made him do it.

2005-03-31 2:23 PM
in reply to: #136273

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
tmwelshy - 2005-03-31 1:04 PM
The intent of a state not allowing a 12 year old to marry (and I will have to take your word for that... sounds reasonable) would be rooted in a more fundamental opinion/consensus that a 12 year old is not mentally or emotionally capable of making that kind of decision and marrying a 12 year old would ultimatley be legalized rape, based on statutory rape laws already in effect.

Our laws on marriage have evolved significantly over the years in response to changing morality. In fact, rape within marriage used to be legal on the grounds that it was the husband's right. Is there any legal or constitutional reason why this is no longer so? No. We just all changed our minds about women deserving to be raped. We can change our minds about what marriage means without destroying the institution. I can imagine the slippery slope arguments about outlawing rape in marriage: "Well, next thing you know, women will be refusing to cook dinner!"
2005-03-31 2:39 PM
in reply to: #136273

User image

Buttercup
tmwelshy - 2005-03-31 2:04 PM

Hick states can write all the laws they want defining marriage as between a man and a woman, but the fact that they avoid stating simply that marriage is denyed to gay couples is becuase to do so would be illegal.

I hate to alarm you, but it's not just "hick states" that have passed discriminatory marriage laws. The Henny Pennyism of the extreme right has swept much of our nation, even the blue states. Pennsylvania, the cradle of our democracy and home to the City of Brotherly Love, is among the hicks. Allegedly liberal Massachusetts was trying to draft a DOMA and asked their judiciary to examine the DOMA language to make sure they weren't violating their constitution  (turns out they were!).

Here's the list:

Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah (first among the ignominious), Virginia, Washington, and West Virginia.

And by ballot initiative (i.e. popular vote): Alaska, California, Hawaii, Nebraska and Nevada (ironic, given it's Sin City Mecca).

2005-03-31 2:58 PM
in reply to: #136285

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, Il
CLLinIA - 2005-03-31 2:23 PM

Our laws on marriage have evolved significantly over the years in response to changing morality.

As it is said, "the only constant is change." Anyone who thinks that the current social mores are the absolute right way of doing things always and forever needs to study a little bit of history. While some social changes aren't always good, social values ALWAYS change over time. Always. That's why, as nikki says, education is so important. It is crucial that people approach moral/social decisions from a position of rationality and open-mindedness, of a place where other worlds have been experienced either directly or through reading. Each change must be judged on its own merit not necessarily on the merit of what has or has not been done before.

That said, I think the US should follow in the example of France where a civil union is required in the eyes of the country (state in our situation) and a marriage, religious marriage, is optional but has no legal standing. The way I understand it (and being gay here in Massachusetts, I have had a lot of exposure to the debate), it is actually yet another issue of the division of church and state. We have passively allowed church rules to seep into the laws of the state instead of separating the two completely. What church teaching has to say about the rules regarding marriage in the eyes of god is besides the point to how the law should see marriage. Restricting "civil unions" (or the part of marriage that is the legal contract between the two individuals and the state) is pointlessly discriminatory; marriage in the religious sense is an issue that needs to be taken up within the various religions, not at the state house. But since all we really have is a singular marriage, we've gotten ourselves into a heap of trouble.

2005-03-31 3:11 PM
in reply to: #136285

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Welshy and CLL: You both miss my point. First my point was to demonstrate that the weakest argument in favor of granting or recognizing gay MARRIAGES is to say that the government has no right to regulate who can marry or what constitutes a marriage. Because the simple fact is that a State government can in fact do so. (I would argue that the Federal government has no power to do so) If there is a wall infront of you, youcan spend all day banging your head on a wall, ultimately you're probably going to end up with a headache. Or, instead you can go over, under or around the wall. And welshy excellant point on the 12 year old hypothetical. But what if I switched it to cousins, adult cousins that wanted to get married? Or how about polygimy? Why outlaw multiple marriages between consenting adults? And divorce, because a marriage is a contract between the parties and the state, divorces can only be granted upon a showing of one or more statutorally recognized reasons for divorce.

All I'm saying is that if you want to recognize gay marriages you can't argue that the government has no power to regulate marriage, because clearly they do. What you should instead argue is that the government should expand their definition of marriage. Saying the government CANT regulate marriage is a loosing argument, plain and simple! And there is a consitutional difference between the Schiavo case, and gay marriages. ( On a purely consitutional matter the issues would be similar if the government prevented homosexuals from dating or being together.) But, that would take me a ton of time to go through.
2005-03-31 3:25 PM
in reply to: #136313

User image

Buttercup

Asa, I get what you are saying, however, you are using "power" and "right" interchangeably. The government has the power to do many things we'd like them not to do. However, that does not mean they have the right. Sometimes the government will exercise powers without rights and eventually the Supreme Court says "Uh uh." This is my hope for these putrid DOMA laws.

The government doesn't have the right to unconstitutionally limit the rights of gay people. At the moment, they have the power to do so. Ultimately, I hope, the Supreme Court will force the States to play nice with our gay brethren and give some real teeth to "liberty and justice for all."

Segueing back to our thread topic, State of Florida legislature had the power to pass Terri's Law and subsequently (or in spite of already knowing) discovered they didn't have the right to pass the law when it was later deemed unconstitutional.

2005-03-31 3:26 PM
in reply to: #136307

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
I agree with your ultimate conclusion regardin "civil unions". And in researching the marriage issue Consitutional commentators have warned of the artificial division between hetero and gay marriages and the questions that would inevitable arise as early as the 1960's. Additionally, I agree with both you and Welshy that changing mores can change what we perceive as acceptable as a nation.

But you raise yet another interseting debate regarding the "seperation of church and state" Which opens up an entire new can of worms that might keep this post going for another 200 posts. Ultimately the "seperation of church and state" does not appear in the U.S. Constitution. There is an "establishment clause", the language "seperation of church and state" doesn't actually appear in the U.S. Constitution. This is an important distinction because there are two parts of the religious clause of the 1st Amendment. there is the "establishment clause" AND "the free exercise clause" Both of which are set out as absolutes.
2005-03-31 3:27 PM

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio

I was trying to state that Government shouldn't regulate marraige, not couldn't. Obvioulsly the state can and does. I see your point, but I think we are arguing legal ability as opposed to moral right and one point of view does not negate the other.

2005-03-31 3:31 PM

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
It's ironic to me that the worship of god creats so much strife, anger and pain.

2005-03-31 3:35 PM
in reply to: #136322

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, Il
ASA22 - 2005-03-31 3:26 PM
Ultimately the "seperation of church and state" does not appear in the U.S. Constitution. There is an "establishment clause", the language "seperation of church and state" doesn't actually appear in the U.S. Constitution. This is an important distinction because there are two parts of the religious clause of the 1st Amendment. there is the "establishment clause" AND "the free exercise clause" Both of which are set out as absolutes.

I have to admit that I find this fascinating, however much I'm chagrined that my total number of posts now includes far too many that are not triathlon-related!

Can you tell me how the phrase "separation of church and state" has become so prevalent? What do those two clauses in the 1st amendment mean in practice? I understand bits and pieces mostly related to public prayer and other public religious expressions. But as far as this marriage debate?
2005-03-31 3:36 PM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
ASA22 - 2005-03-31 2:11 PM
But what if I switched it to cousins, adult cousins that wanted to get married? Or how about polygimy? Why outlaw multiple marriages between consenting adults? And divorce, because a marriage is a contract between the parties and the state, divorces can only be granted upon a showing of one or more statutorally recognized reasons for divorce.

In most states, cousins can marry. Even first cousins.
2005-03-31 3:39 PM
in reply to: #136321

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Renee - 2005-03-31 3:25 PM

Asa, I get what you are saying, however, you are using "power" and "right" interchangeably. The government has the power to do many things we'd like them not to do. However, that does not mean they have the right. Sometimes the government will exercise powers without rights and eventually the Supreme Court says "Uh uh." This is my hope for these putrid DOMA laws.

The government doesn't have the right to unconstitutionally limit the rights of gay people. At the moment, they have the power to do so. Ultimately, I hope, the Supreme Court will force the States to play nice with our gay brethren and give some real teeth to "liberty and justice for all."

Segueing back to our thread topic, State of Florida legislature had the power to pass Terri's Law and subsequently (or in spite of already knowing) discovered they didn't have the right to pass the law when it was later deemed unconstitutional.

1) Power and right in the sence I used them have been used correctly. When a law is declared unconsitutional the court isn't saying the governemtn didn't have the "right" to pass the law, they are saying they didn't have the "power" to do so. The courts found that in fact the State lacked the Constitutional authority to pass said law. They in fact lacked the power.

2) Courts throughout history, both on a state level and at the Federal level have consistently ruled that a government has the power/right/ability (You pick the term) to regulate marriage. It has been consistently held to be a social contract that exists between two individuals and the government. I'd be more than happy to provide citations to anyone interested. I can go back as far as 1930, prior to that it will take me some digging.

3) Wether this proposition that a State can regulate marriage is morally right or wrong can be debated on several levels, but the fact remains that it is a legal truth.

My point was arguing that the government doesn't have the legal authority to regulate marriage is a loosing proposition, because clearly it does. You need to find a different argument. Base it on equal protection, base it on freedom of association, privacy issues, the penumbra of privacy rights, commerce clause, something, find some other argument other than the government can't do this, that the government doesn't have the power. Because clearly, it does.

Edited by ASA22 2005-03-31 3:40 PM
2005-03-31 3:44 PM
in reply to: #136322

User image

Buttercup

If anything, Amendment 1 would protect houses of worship from being required to conduct marriages betwixt gay folks when gay marrige finally becomes legalized (which, I think, is where Scout was going with her post).

The "separation of church and state" phrase was given to us by Thomas Jefferson in his interpretation of the first amendment in a letter to the Danbury Baptist Association (January 1, 1802):

“Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should ‘make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,’ thus building a wall of separation between church and State.”

A letter does not an amendment make, but it certainly gives insight into the intent of the man whose contribution to the crafting of the Constitution cannot be overstated. 

2005-03-31 3:52 PM

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio

Whoa!!!!!!

Power and rights are clearly not interchangeable. I have the power to get a gun, walk next door and shoot my neighbor in the face. I do not have the right to do so. Simple rebuttal, but rights exist solely to prevent the abuse of Power. The two are most definately not interchangeable, even for the sake of arguement. 

2005-03-31 3:54 PM
in reply to: #136326

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
akabak - 2005-03-31 3:35 PM

ASA22 - 2005-03-31 3:26 PM
Ultimately the "seperation of church and state" does not appear in the U.S. Constitution. There is an "establishment clause", the language "seperation of church and state" doesn't actually appear in the U.S. Constitution. This is an important distinction because there are two parts of the religious clause of the 1st Amendment. there is the "establishment clause" AND "the free exercise clause" Both of which are set out as absolutes.

I have to admit that I find this fascinating, however much I'm chagrined that my total number of posts now includes far too many that are not triathlon-related!

Can you tell me how the phrase "separation of church and state" has become so prevalent? What do those two clauses in the 1st amendment mean in practice? I understand bits and pieces mostly related to public prayer and other public religious expressions. But as far as this marriage debate?

My statement regarding the establishment clause was meant as a comment to your previous post in which you spoke about: "The way I understand it (and being gay here in Massachusetts, I have had a lot of exposure to the debate), it is actually yet another issue of the division of church and state."

I assumed by using the phrase "division of church and state" you were actually making a "seperation of church and state" argument. The case law on the establishment clause is so convoluted and so diverse that I couldn't tell you what the actual clause means anymore. As a christian lawyer I believe that there is an assault upon established religion under the guise of "seperation of church and state" claims. However, as a christian lawyer I also believe you should have the right to be with whomever you choose to be. Frankly, I think its an absurd form of voierism to be concerned with what goes on in the privacy of two consenting adults home. As a christian lawyer I'm also in support of the court rulings in the Schiavo case. I guess my extremist right wing christian brothers probably think I'm going to hell because of these positions,
2005-03-31 4:02 PM

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio

"As a christian lawyer I believe that there is an assault upon established religion under the guise of "seperation of church and state" claims."

Interesting. I think your probably right, but I would like to hear your reasons why the church should not be seperated from the state... or more directly, why should god play any role in governance?

2005-03-31 4:04 PM
in reply to: #136339

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio

Who are you billing while we chat church and state?

2005-03-31 4:05 PM
in reply to: #136336

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, Il
ASA22 - 2005-03-31 3:54 PM
I assumed by using the phrase "division of church and state" you were actually making a "seperation of church and state" argument.

My lover would say you're a true Christian for your belief ... as well as for what you said in a previous post re: JC's teachings: LOVE.

But you got it that what I meant was that the religious institution of marriage has gotten intertwined with the secular institution of marriage. And until people can separate the two, there will always be discomfort with allowing marriage between any two (or more) people the association of which one or more churches take to task or judge harshly.

I could go on (and on and on and on), but I will refrain.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Terri Schiavo Rss Feed  

of 11