BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team No DNF - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2009-04-26 7:24 PM
in reply to: #2068595

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Team No DNF - FULL
I think the sun went to my head during my beautiful bike ride this morning. The racing bike is way too big for me - I'm going to sell it again. Back to my MTB *sigh*...

2009-04-26 7:28 PM
in reply to: #2111479

User image

On your right
Jenna, if you don't have good luck selling the huge bike, you can always use it to learn basic bike skills.  Get a book and learn to take it apart and such.  I'm sure that when you upgrade to a road or tri bike for yourself, it will help having some idea how to do some basic maintaining for it.
2009-04-26 7:42 PM
in reply to: #2111479

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
trysprintolympic - 2009-04-26 5:24 PM I think the sun went to my head during my beautiful bike ride this morning. The racing bike is way too big for me - I'm going to sell it again. Back to my MTB *sigh*...

What kind are the components? (They should say what they are on them somewhere). They may be worth keeping and sticking on a different frame.

John
2009-04-27 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2111525

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
So...how was everyone's weekend?

John
2009-04-27 11:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Happy Monday - truely my favorite day of the week. Yes, it's insane to think  and maybe even more insane to admit. But it signals a new week, new ideas and new challenges. And it's all good - as long as coffee is in hand.

Swam in the pool today. Wasn't as strong as I'd like. Was hacking up some green stuff. So would stay away from that particular pool for a few days. Swam for 20 mins - a mix of drills and lengths. Mostly lengths.

Definitely no a 100% put trying to push through it.

Fi
2009-04-27 1:33 PM
in reply to: #2112899

User image

On your right
See, I always think of Sunday is starting the week.  And Monday and Friday are sucky days for me as I get bupkis for sleep.

I much more prefer Tues-Thurs.

2009-04-27 1:57 PM

User image

Expert

I think Wednesday is my favourite day of the week. The weekend is in sight but there's still time to be productive. I have yoga but no scheduled training on Wednesdays - because LOST is on! It's really the only show I follow any more.

I have a question about speed vs. endurance training: which one? (I'm sure the answer is both!) I am confident I have the sprint distances well in hand for my June 21 race, so should I focus on making my times faster? Or should I reset my sights on the OLY distances for September, and trust that my sprint distances will become faster by default?

2009-04-27 2:06 PM
in reply to: #2113422

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
trysprintolympic - 2009-04-27 11:57 AM

I think Wednesday is my favourite day of the week. The weekend is in sight but there's still time to be productive. I have yoga but no scheduled training on Wednesdays - because LOST is on! It's really the only show I follow any more.

I have a question about speed vs. endurance training: which one? (I'm sure the answer is both!) I am confident I have the sprint distances well in hand for my June 21 race, so should I focus on making my times faster? Or should I reset my sights on the OLY distances for September, and trust that my sprint distances will become faster by default?

you've got 3 months or so between the sprint and the Oly. No reason not to add some speed work in. I'd add one threshold workout per sport per week at the max. Threshold workouts are higher intensity than normal training, with shorter recovery times. This gets your body used to working harder for longer, which in turn boosts speed.

So, if I was going to do a threshold set for swimming, it would be something like this (as an example).

100% all out 50 yard time - 1:00

Take 80% of that. (48 seconds).

Do something like 10x50 (or 20x50) on 1:00 - 1:05. (So your swim and rest together are no longer than 1:00, or 1:05)

For cycling and running, fartlek type training, where you go hard for 5 mins, easy for 1, that kind of thing.

It's different from interval training (Which is designed to help increase top speed), which is 100% all out efforts with enough rest to ensure you can keep completing the distance at an all out effort pace.

Interval training - designed to raise top speed. Threshold training - designed to raise the time you can work at near maximum.

John
2009-04-27 2:14 PM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Subject: Meals to go
Meals of the day -

Just a couple quick things that are easy to prepare, and decent for you. They make great leftovers/meals on the go.

Breakfast -
Get a package of Jenny-O premade turkey burger patties. Make 6 or so. Toast some english muffins. (Or you can toast day of, toasting takes only a minute). Put together one sandwich with a slice of cheese, one patty, english muffin and a dollop of salsa. I usually have two for breakfast. (With coffee, of course!) If you are the veggie type, you can sub the Boca patties, those are pretty good too.

Dinner/Lunch snack - Take 1 lb of sausage (Sweet, mild or spicy, pick one. I like spicy). Brown until well done and break up large chunks. Make two packages of American Beauty Fideo Cortada (Looks like really thin broken up noodles). Make a jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce, I usually also add sliced mushrooms and some diced bell pepper. Mix it all together, put in a 10x8 (or larger if you make more) pan, cover lightly with shredded cheese of your own choice. Bake for 30-35 minutes at around 325.

The spaghetti bake tastes great hot or cold, and a small tupperware tub of that with a 20 oz water will REALLY fill you up fast!!

John
2009-04-28 9:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Maine
so for some strange reason Maine is going to be in the high 80s today. We were really hot yesterday. I don't know how some of you guys train in the hot weather!! Luckily we drop back down to the 50s tomorrow. Hope all your training is going well!!
2009-04-28 12:01 PM

User image

Expert
Help me!! I'm obviously a total idiot who keeps buying things that don't fit or aren't what I need, but I like them because they are cheap. Take a look at this bike: it's a little too big (I need a 51cm frame - this is a 53cm) but it's only $150! And I really, really don't want to cart my MTB to my races, and someone offered to lend me her bike but I think it's even bigger than this one! Should I buy it? Or is this another purchase I will regret?

2009-04-28 1:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Jenna,
Maybe you should go to your LBS and ask them what they think. They won't mind to much that you aren't buying from them - many people buy their first bike 2nd hand, and they are happy to start a r/ship with you now. You could also ask the guy selling the bike to take it your LBS (if he's local) and then pay $50 or so for a quick fit to see if the bike will work for you. You should at least have a quick measure of yourself so you know what size you should be looking at.

The other thing to consider is that if you are going to buy a bike then maybe you should consider a tri bike over a road bike. A tri bike allows your hamstrings to do some of the work which saves your quads a bit more for the run. Whereas a road bike will use more quads and you will feel more of the "bricks" when you run. 

At this stage it doesn't really matter, any bike will do, and if it has good components then you can always switch them over to a better bike down the road.

I'm off sick again today. Not feeling good at all. Slept until 1pm. Have moved my off day from Fri to today. But that means ten days training in a row. I guess I can slowing shift my day off back to Fri over a few weeks. I just want to train through this but tried that for three days and ended up getting much worse. What should I do? Take a few days off now and then do some two a day training on the weekend- which I can do as I don't have the kids?

Thanks,
Fi
2009-04-28 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2115694

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
trysprintolympic - 2009-04-28 10:01 AM Help me!! I'm obviously a total idiot who keeps buying things that don't fit or aren't what I need, but I like them because they are cheap. Take a look at this bike: it's a little too big (I need a 51cm frame - this is a 53cm) but it's only $150! And I really, really don't want to cart my MTB to my races, and someone offered to lend me her bike but I think it's even bigger than this one! Should I buy it? Or is this another purchase I will regret?

Go ride it. A 53cm versus a 51cm is not a huge difference. As long as you can stand comfortably over the top tube, you can probably just get a slightly shorter stem to bring the handlebars closer in so you aren't too stretched out. Weight difference might not be that big, but the geometry will be much better than the MTB.

If it's comfortable, $150 isn't too bad a price, although I'm not familiar with Ascente.

John
2009-04-28 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2115694

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI

trysprintolympic - 2009-04-28 1:01 PM Help me!! I'm obviously a total idiot who keeps buying things that don't fit or aren't what I need, but I like them because they are cheap. Take a look at this bike: it's a little too big (I need a 51cm frame - this is a 53cm) but it's only $150! And I really, really don't want to cart my MTB to my races, and someone offered to lend me her bike but I think it's even bigger than this one! Should I buy it? Or is this another purchase I will regret?

Probably the first thing you should do is go to your LBS and have them size you up for a bike.  If you've already done that, great.  It really doesn't make sense to keep buying bikes that are not the size you need, only to find out that it is too big/small for you.  At my LBS, they charge about $50 to have a normal bike fit completed, unless you bought the bike from them.  The complete fit is $200, which I am contemplating as I can't get comfortable on my aero bars.  So, keep this in mind when buying used, that you may have to add some to have the LBS fit you to the bike. 

I understand that you want to find a different bike for your tri.  I can't say as I blame you.  You could just keep your current MTB and add a set of smooth tires for the decrease in rolling resistance.  You've still got about 4 weeks before your first race, I would suggest to keep looking and find something that is your size.  As my wife keeps telling me, "Don't buy something just to buy something".  We have one LBS that always has a ton of used bikes available.  It may be possible that there is one near you that has the same.  If your MTB fits you well, plan on using it with some smooth tires.  A poor fitting bike can actually do more harm to you and your form than good.

Just my $0.02.  :-)

2009-04-28 1:54 PM

User image

Expert
The problem comes back to my promise not to buy a good bike until after I finish the season to assess what I really want/need and how much we're willing to put into it. I probably will end up with a tri bike, but I can't get one right now. I do agree with not buying something just for the sake of buying something! But I also hate the idea of taking my MTB to my races this summer and spending $150 for a stop gap solution seemed like a good idea. But maybe not... I will call my LBS and see what they say!
2009-04-28 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2115941

User image

Expert
alexenafi - 2009-04-28 2:10 PM I'm off sick again today. Not feeling good at all. Slept until 1pm. Have moved my off day from Fri to today. But that means ten days training in a row. I guess I can slowing shift my day off back to Fri over a few weeks. I just want to train through this but tried that for three days and ended up getting much worse. What should I do? Take a few days off now and then do some two a day training on the weekend- which I can do as I don't have the kids?

I've been taking two Off Days a week, and it's been great so far! I feel awesome and meeting/exceeding all of my targets. I would say you should take it slowly if you're not feeling well. Let your body recoup and try to get in as much of the mileage that you miss on the weekends when you can devote some serious time to training! Feel better.

2009-04-28 2:30 PM
in reply to: #2115941

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
alexenafi - 2009-04-28 11:10 AM Jenna,
Maybe you should go to your LBS and ask them what they think. They won't mind to much that you aren't buying from them - many people buy their first bike 2nd hand, and they are happy to start a r/ship with you now. You could also ask the guy selling the bike to take it your LBS (if he's local) and then pay $50 or so for a quick fit to see if the bike will work for you. You should at least have a quick measure of yourself so you know what size you should be looking at.

The other thing to consider is that if you are going to buy a bike then maybe you should consider a tri bike over a road bike. A tri bike allows your hamstrings to do some of the work which saves your quads a bit more for the run. Whereas a road bike will use more quads and you will feel more of the "bricks" when you run. 

At this stage it doesn't really matter, any bike will do, and if it has good components then you can always switch them over to a better bike down the road.

I'm off sick again today. Not feeling good at all. Slept until 1pm. Have moved my off day from Fri to today. But that means ten days training in a row. I guess I can slowing shift my day off back to Fri over a few weeks. I just want to train through this but tried that for three days and ended up getting much worse. What should I do? Take a few days off now and then do some two a day training on the weekend- which I can do as I don't have the kids?

Thanks,
Fi

Take the time and recover. If the engine isn't well, then the training won't do you much good. Get better, and assess how you feel. Do your first workout (and maybe lower the intensity a bit), and then rest. Nap, whatever. Later in the day, if you feel good, do another workout (again at less intensity). Make sure you're getting some good food, fluid and rest.

Your body is a wonderful thing. It will really tell you when you are tired, hurting, and just plain need some downtime. Listen to it. Get past the illness THEN "suck it up, princess!" :D :D

John
2009-04-28 3:32 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Heya, gang! 

Sorry I've been MIA for the past few weeks.  Life has gotten the better of me and I hardly have a spare minute.  It sounds like everyone is starting to get some nice weather!  We're dealing with rain early this week but temps have started to creep up into the 70s (it even hit the 80s this past weekend)!  I was getting so used to doing outdoor workouts that it felt like torture when I had to settle for the trainer today!

2009-04-28 9:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Thanks for all your support. I went to the walk-in clinic after some pushing from those around me (because I was sure it was just a cold, and I wouldn't go to the doctor for the flu) and he told me I have bronchitis and gave me antibiotics. He gave me a few days off work but I won't be taking them as I have deadlines this week and don't want to leave my partner in the lurch. So will go in tomorrow morning and give him what he needs and then see if I need to either sleep on the couch in my office or go home.

Went to the last seminar on short course triathlons put on my the local club - they gave this rule for sickness and training: If it's above the neck then train, if below then don't. Which I kinda followed thinking it was above the head (ignoring the green mucus stuff which would mean it was in my chest).

So will not train until Sat and then try and fit at least one of each in over the weekend. Maybe do a bike and run on Sat and a swim and run on Sunday.  Then treat next week like it was this week in terms of distance/times.

I'll still pop on and see how you are all doing.

Fi
2009-04-29 10:05 AM
in reply to: #2117217

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Hrm. Everyone seems to be sick! I hope you're just not allergic to me... Tongue out

John
2009-04-29 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2118111

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
tkd.teacher - 2009-04-29 11:05 AM Hrm. Everyone seems to be sick! I hope you're just not allergic to me... Tongue out

John

We're not sick, we're too busy training.  Yeah, that's it.  :-)

2009-04-29 12:14 PM

User image

Expert
Not sick here, knock on wood! I am getting use of a great racing bike for the summer though, courtesy of my grandfather's connections at his TO bike shop. I haven't seen it yet, but since my grandfather has $20K worth of their bikes in his basement, I think it will be a good start for my season! Then I have the option to buy it at the end of the summer or give it back, in which case I will probably buy a tri bike from them. I think it's win-win every way around.

Yahoo! I am so excited to keep my promise of not spending money now but also not dragging my MTB around for my first season!
2009-04-29 12:21 PM
in reply to: #2118504

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
trysprintolympic - 2009-04-29 10:14 AM Not sick here, knock on wood! I am getting use of a great racing bike for the summer though, courtesy of my grandfather's connections at his TO bike shop. I haven't seen it yet, but since my grandfather has $20K worth of their bikes in his basement, I think it will be a good start for my season! Then I have the option to buy it at the end of the summer or give it back, in which case I will probably buy a tri bike from them. I think it's win-win every way around.

Yahoo! I am so excited to keep my promise of not spending money now but also not dragging my MTB around for my first season!

EXCELLENT, Jenna!!

Yet another reason to always foster good relationships with the LBS...

John
2009-04-29 7:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
I've decided to take 2 days off because of my knee which hasn't gotten better since my cortisone shot. Its driving me crazy, which is just showing how addicting triathlon training has become!
hope you sickies are getting better!
2009-04-30 9:09 AM

User image

Expert
My yoga studio is taking part in a community-wide spring cleanse program that is being offered for free, so I said "what the heck" and signed up thinking that it might help jumpstart my weightloss. I need to lose six pounds in the next four weeks to meet my first goal, which isn't a huge amount except I haven't lost any weight at all in the last two weeks.

I just got the meal plan and list of approved/restricted foods and I did not realize how intense a cleanse is! Literally, 99% of my diet is on the restricted list. I don't know if I'm going to be able to last the entire week. I hope my training doesn't suffer!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team No DNF - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24