BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2009-05-05 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2070412

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Subject: RE: Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!)
MITCH ~ hoooyah Brother!  You are right on the mark with this!  And that post has got me thinking the same thing!  Thanks for that!

It isn't easy, in SOOOOo many ways!  The physical challenges is just one element!  For me, the mental and emotional challenges of life and trying to find that balance ~ is much harder than simply going out and pushing my HR to the max!  I truly believe that many things in life require mental strength more than physical strength ~ no matter if it is BUD/s, Bootcamp, Marathoning, Ironman, or your first Sprint Tri ~ the ratio of mental to physical (IMHO) is closer to 80/20 (mental to physical)!  You have to build that mental strength to push the limits of your body, to keep going when others stop, and to simply get out and do it ~ when others won't!

So all this static that we face is another element of training ~ exercising that mental strength that we all need!

And like Mitch eluded to and Grace stated ~ If it were easy, everyone would be doing it!  And although there are a lot of us doing it ~ we are still a small "STRONG" percentage compared to everyone else!

Stay focused gang ~ and we will all be better for this!   Thanks again Mitch!   Semper Fi!  

Edited by Tri_n_2_b_fast 2009-05-05 9:42 AM

2009-05-05 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2130998

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!)
This bug bites HARD. Guess who's doing a mini-sprint next weekend (and begged to have this be my Mother's Day gift LOL...) ME!  The Sudbury Tri had a dropout and I was on the waiting list.  I'm really looking forward to this one because of the longer swim/shorter run. Also, even though it is 2 hours away, I'm kind of familiar with the area.  So, my training thoughts are:

Today: PT Hips/rest (not feeling right today) + maybe 20 minutes gentle stretch/strength

Wednesday: 5 mile run with bursts of speed
Thursday: Swim - 1000+ Yards
Friday: Bike 1 hour or so
Saturday: Easy Run 1-2 miles or Rest + gentle strength/stretching
Sunday: Kick some *ss

thoughts?

Edited by gcoller 2009-05-05 11:03 AM
2009-05-05 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2131137

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Sounds like a great Mother's day gift!

And your plan for the week seems quite sound.  Just listen to your body and don't overdo it if you're just not feeling it.

2009-05-05 12:25 PM

User image

Right on Grace! Rock it girl!

Like Jeff said, just listen to your body, don't push too much or too hard.  Good muscle work is plenty between races like that.

Good luck on the race ~ and once again ~ have fun while you crush it!
2009-05-05 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2131137

Regular
Newport Beach

gcoller - 2009-05-05 10:21 AM This bug bites HARD. Guess who's doing a mini-sprint next weekend (and begged to have this be my Mother's Day gift LOL...) ME! 

At the Grace homestead...

So, millions of Mom's will be celebrating Mother's day this Sunday...What would you like to do?  Sleep in?

Grace:  No thanks, I'd like to do another Triathlon.

Really, how about breakfast in bed?

Grace:  No, I'd really like swim, bike and run

How about a nice brunch?

Grace:  No thanks.  Can I please, please, please do another tri?

Well, okay.  Its your day afterall!

GO Grace!  You are setting the bar for us rookies way high!

2009-05-05 6:36 PM

NW PA

A great way to spend YOUR day. You are killing the rest of us rookies.

2009-05-05 7:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Grace, you absolutely rock!  I am so very proud of you! 

IN my world, pain is here.  I had soreness behind my left knee after my time trial bike ride for 3 hours Sunday.  Fit is off.  I've got an adjustable stem on the way.  Meanwhile, I've got to learn how to ride the thing so there you go, 50 miles.  Soreness.

Then....today in the pool just before I was going to finish my last 100, I went off the side and my calf spasmed.  I mean SLAM.  Rock solid.  So Tuesday is a serious bike workout.  I'm ramping up intervals.  I'm at 2X20 minutes @ 98 percent FTP, which is 245 for me.  So I went out with Icy Hot on and did it.  Two hour workout, surpassed the mark both intervals.  Icing it now.  Feels pretty good.  But I know it still is screwed up.  But not acute pain, just still affected from the spasm.  I'm sure it will be OK soon.  It's not he kind of acute pain where you know you are going to make it worse by playing through it.

So, yes for me, this is at least 50 percent mental.  Not giving in or giving up.  Pushing beyond where you think your limit is using reason of course, not being stupid, but pushing beyond that place where your body tells you that you can take a break, no one would fault you, but you just know you can do it if you want to badly enough.  Same goes for conflicts.  I have a couple of commitments I won't give up.  One is AA, the other is my wife.  But other than that, people can get in line.  Yes, this is that important to me.  

I love when someone says, If it were easy, everyone would do it.  Like everyone is this crazy.  We'd like to think so.  But I know this woman who has done a couple of Ironmens.  She says, "If it were easy, they'd call it Panty Man."   I love that! 

Edited by IceManScott 2009-05-05 7:54 PM
2009-05-06 8:39 AM

User image

Master
Well, it worked this morning.  Alarm went off at 4:30 (planned to swim followed by run).  Tired self quickly reset alarm to 5:30 saying to myself, "eh, you can make the swim up later in the week, get some more sleep and just run".  A nagging thought kept coming into my head...you know what it was....it was telling me to harden up and deal.  It wasn't easy, but I got up and had a great swim followed by a great run.  Am I tried now? You bet, but I feel great about myself and the fact that I got it done.

On another note, who here actually enjoys the aches and pains you feel from the ins and outs of training?  I once tried to explain to my wife that it makes me feel alive...probably not the best way to explain it to the love of your life (her response was "I don't make you feel alive?"...open mouth insert foot) but I guess you guys know what I'm talkling about. 
2009-05-06 9:00 AM
in reply to: #2133440

NW PA

It depends on the aches and pains. The good ones "when you know they are from good training runs, swims, etc." It 's the ones where you feel and say to yourself, "damn, this hurts or this is sore," way past normal soreness. But, we take ibprofen or whatever and get up the next day and continue. I know exactly what you are talking about; pushing ourselves and feeling and seeing the results; self-satisifaction.

2009-05-06 2:36 PM
in reply to: #2132762

User image

Veteran
Wow...thanks everyone...!!  Iceman...ouch.  I personally think part of mental toughness is the ability to rest when we need it. Kudos for seeing that you need it! Strangely, these have become the toughest days for me emotionally/mentally.  But rest is so important and I think we all know that.  Tri-training is healthy if it comes in the right order of priorities in our lives.  We all balance that differently I'm sure, but the fact that we are all still here and trying is an accomplishment in itself...just look at roch's progress on the swim/bike since running is out for awhile. Amazing...we just don't give up.  I had a tough time getting up this morning also, and I told myself "it's not supposed to be easy" but during the run it felt...easy...but only at times.  Fun overall.  One of my secrets is that I keep an "Easy" button in my gym bag (from Staples).  I hit it after EVERY gym workout.  It really has a great effect on my thinking.  If I finish thinking "that was easy" I can get up the next day and do it and remember that feeling I get AFTER the tough workout.  It is so definately One Day At a Time!
2009-05-06 7:19 PM

Freeland
Well, I ran 2 miles tonight to see how the back felt.  Not to bad.  Little tight, too k it easy though.  I am readyto get back in it.  You guys put things in  perspective for me and I need that really bad right now. I am not focused or motivated but reading your accomplishements and hard work makes me want to get out and go go go. 

Keep up the great work everybody, you keep me going.  I am sigining up for my first tri June 21st.  I read it is a little hilly. I will be ready.  Thanks again everybody and keep up the great work.

2009-05-07 1:17 AM
in reply to: #2135241

Regular
Newport Beach

jwheat - 2009-05-06 7:19 PM ....reading your [the groups'] accomplishements and hard work makes me want to get out and go go go. 

I agree.  These last two weeks have been difficult for me for a variety of reasons.  Work and family demands (including sick kids) have taken their toll.  Plus, frustration from a trainning standpoint as well.  For instance, I'd like to see greater improvement in running - but won't for a very long time.  I realize it will be a slow progression, but still frustrating.  I'd like to actually ride my bike outside, but will be limited to the trainer until end of June (I need to entertain the kids on the weekends so that my wife can prepare for her boards; and I'm not comfortable riding through the city late at night); and, with swimming, its obvious that I need to build endurance and arm strength but 30 min blocks aren't going to do it.  I need to log at least an hour no less than 4 times a week (and weights wouldn't hurt either), but don't have the time - at least for now.   And, I'm tired.  I laid down with the kids for bedtime stories, they passed out quickly afterwards.  I was laying there listening to them breathing and almost passed out as well.  But, instead, I dragged my sorry self out of bed and got on with the evening run.  If Mitch can do the same in the morning, then I can certainly do so at night.  So, yes..this groups' determination, enthusiasm and even dissapointments/frustrations, helps me keep focused and also lets me know that I'm not alone in this journey.  Thanks to you all and sorry for rambling on.

2009-05-07 1:22 AM
in reply to: #2133440

Regular
Newport Beach

dangremond - 2009-05-06 8:39 AM On another note, who here actually enjoys the aches and pains you feel from the ins and outs of training?  I once tried to explain to my wife that it makes me feel alive...probably not the best way to explain it to the love of your life (her response was "I don't make you feel alive?"...open mouth insert foot) but I guess you guys know what I'm talkling about. 

For me, its the smell of chlorine and bengay/icy-hot...smells like victory.

2009-05-07 7:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

"I love the smell of Icy Hot in the morning.  It's the smell of victory." 

I love that!

I skipped the run last night.  First workout I'm passed on since I started in August.  But, the leg is still screwed.  I bought a Stick on advice and massaged it.  Rode 20 miles at a high cadence/low output level.  Used the Stick before bed.  Went swimming this morning...stroke was great...but prudence said to stop after 1,000 and I did.  More Stick and stretching.   Now at the desk with my leg feeling calm.  Still sore on my tip toes, but way better.  I have an intense bike drill tonight.  VO2 max stuff.  I'll watch it and abandon if I have to.  I don't want top tear the calf muscle.   

I think this started at the Sunday run.  After the 7.5 miles, I hurried to join my bike coach on a ride.  I should have 1) ate recovery food, 2) stretched before riding.  Live and learn.

2009-05-07 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2135880

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Scott,

Good luck on the recovery - be careful!!

As for me, the 4 week follow-up with the doc is this morning.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I miss running.

2009-05-07 8:21 AM

Freeland
Well, I was able to get out of bed this morning.  Back was very stiff, strechted some and was off to work for 12 hrs.  Hopefully will be able to ride or swim for an hour tonight.  Have a goo day.

2009-05-07 11:59 AM

Freeland
I have a question and it may seem strange.  I was wondering where does everybody get there training plans?  Do you make up your own or do you buy one or does someone help you?  I am not any good at making a training plan.  I have been winging it so far.  For me, I need to have things on  paper, such as disatances, paces, what to do on what day etc.  Can anyone help me find a plan or have any good advice on where to look for one?  Thanks.  I am ready to get back in the game.  Can I get a hell yeah? 

Jon
2009-05-07 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2136560

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

jwheat - 2009-05-07 12:59 PM I have a question and it may seem strange.  I was wondering where does everybody get there training plans?  Do you make up your own or do you buy one or does someone help you?  I am not any good at making a training plan.  I have been winging it so far.  For me, I need to have things on  paper, such as disatances, paces, what to do on what day etc.  Can anyone help me find a plan or have any good advice on where to look for one?  Thanks.  I am ready to get back in the game.  Can I get a hell yeah? 

Jon

"Hell YEAH!!"

Oh, and click on the Program button at the top, or click here.

2009-05-07 1:03 PM

User image

Veteran
I get running plans online (Hal Higdon..google it and Tri plans from the book called : Triathlete Magazine's Essential Week-by-Week Training Guide: Plans, Scheduling Tips, and Workout Goals for Triathletes of All Levels (Paperback) I think it's by Matt Fitzgerals.? I love that one. Finally I get my swim workouts from a waterproof book called "Swim workouts in a binder for Triathletes" Haven't used the last one too much but love it so far...it's waterproof so you can bring it right to the pool!

I'm going crazy for the lack of weight-loss.  I'm a bit discouraged looking at my tri pic. Suggestions?
2009-05-07 1:14 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Grace, your tri pic rocks!  It is awesome. 

Jon, the book Grace mentioned is a good one, I just bought it and it has good plans.  Also, the swim binder she mentioned is supposed to be really good too.  I don't have that one, yet. 
I think it is important to follow some kind of plan if we are serious about what we are doing and we want to track our progress.  I am currently studying different types of plans in the books that I have.
2009-05-07 1:17 PM
in reply to: #2136758

NW PA
Tri plans- right on this website (SBR)
running- Runner's World, Running Times

If you Google a discipline plus training plans, ex: triathlon training plans, you should get a bazillion of them.
There are several good books on the subject: Tri 101, Your First Triathlon, etc. again Google.

2009-05-07 1:24 PM

User image

jwheat - 2009-05-07 11:59 AM I have a question and it may seem strange.  I was wondering where does everybody get there training plans?  Do you make up your own or do you buy one or does someone help you?  I am not any good at making a training plan.  I have been winging it so far.  For me, I need to have things on  paper, such as disatances, paces, what to do on what day etc.  Can anyone help me find a plan or have any good advice on where to look for one?  Thanks.  I am ready to get back in the game.  Can I get a hell yeah? 
Jon

First off ~ Hell Yeah!   how's that...

There are a variety of training plans, from purchased - to free and from self-coached, on-line coaching or in-person coaching.  Just for FYI, I use an Online Coach through trainingpeaks, but I also modify it a bit, based on my schedule and personal experience.  The training plan my coach has for me is not completely condusive to my work schedule.

I have never used the training plans from BT, but I know a lot of people have and they seem to enjoy them... especially the 16 week Sprint or Olympic plans.  A lot of good feedback on those plans.  I believe they are free and there are purchased versions... maybe someone else can offer more on that.

Joe Friel's book "Tri Training Bible" is suppose to give a lot of great info on training and plans as well.

As new joins to this sport (I still consider myself a rookie - after only one season in the books)  A structured plan is really the best way to prevent overtraining and ensure proper training.  Good luck ~ I hope this was helpful.

We ALL struggle at times ~ stay positive, keep things in perspective, and keep chugging along.  You will begin to see improvements and with those improvements comes confidence ~ it will pick a head of steam and you will be rockin' along before ya know it!
2009-05-07 1:29 PM

User image

Free Swim Plans...

http://www.swimplan.com/index.php?pg=wel1

Have used 'em - like 'em.
2009-05-07 2:11 PM

Freeland
Thank you everbody, I will look into everything.  Grace, the weightloss will come, stay postive.  Beleive I know it can be really frustrating. I  am going through the same thing.  Keep up the good work.
2009-05-07 3:46 PM

User image

Master
jwheat - 2009-05-07 11:59 AM I have a question and it may seem strange.  I was wondering where does everybody get there training plans?  Do you make up your own or do you buy one or does someone help you?  I am not any good at making a training plan.  I have been winging it so far.  For me, I need to have things on  paper, such as disatances, paces, what to do on what day etc.  Can anyone help me find a plan or have any good advice on where to look for one?  Thanks.  I am ready to get back in the game.  Can I get a hell yeah? 

Jon

This website has a number of free plans that are great.  I signed up as a silver member this year and the plans available at that level are very good and import directly into your training log.  It was $$ well spent and allowed me to support the site that I spend more time on than any other.

regarding running plans, I used Hal Higdon for my 1st Half Marathon and thought it prepared me very well.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!) Rss Feed  

of 28