BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JeepFleeb's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2009-05-04 2:49 PM
in reply to: #2071361

User image

Regular
Dallas
Subject: RE: JeepFleeb's mentor group - FULL
Weekly Check-In! Today I start my first HIM training program. Looks like the volume jumps right up in the beginning. Have a couple of hour long bike rides and runs. Also looks like a 3500m swim. That will also be a first for me. This plan doesn't have a rest day for 2 weeks! Is that normal? Most of the plans (Sprint/Olympic) I have done in the past gave at least 1 rest day a week. Fingers Crossed.
Pretty excited about getting out there.

Have a good week all!

2009-05-04 3:19 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
I'm now on Day 1 of an Olympic Training plan!  Unfortunately it's raining, so the bike was on a stationary.  Felt good getting on it and keeping my legs moving.  I'm still getting stiff if I sit too long, but I feel like I should be in good shape tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to a short 30 min run. Smile

I was thinking about how much I enjoyed yesterday's race.  I thought it was going to be torture, but there was great cameraderie among the runners, loads of people cheering all over the place, and a lot of fun.  It made the time go by so quick, I was really surprised!
2009-05-04 3:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
Nice job on the racing this weekend everyone!  Congrats Aaron on the qualification!

I got my season started this weekend with an 8.8 mile time prediction run.  I missed my estimate by 6 minutes, but, feel pretty great that I was 6 minutes faster than I expected!  I guess I should run without a watch more often.

I'm starting week 6 of the BT beginner HIM program this week.  I'm going out of town for business for 3 days, so it's going to be a challenge to get it all in this week.

Speaking of being out of town, I'm going to be in Dallas this week for a day.  Do any of you that live in the area know of a good place to get a run in near Love field?
2009-05-04 4:09 PM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Take a look at Bachman Lake Park. Right next to Love Field and has a running trail. I have never run it but I heard one is there.
2009-05-04 4:26 PM
in reply to: #2129406

User image

Regular
Dallas
Yes Bachman Lake is very close. Unfortunately, I haven't been there in years so I can't vouch for its condition. I have been told that it is kind of sketchy after dark. (Just what I have been told) If you don't mind driving a short way...

The Katy Trail in uptown is nice. 3.5 mile out and back.

http://www.katytraildallas.org/site/PageServer?pagename=homepage

or the Dallas area exercise mecca White Rock Lake. It is a 10 mile loop.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/map.asp?route...

2009-05-04 4:27 PM

User image

Expert
Denver Area

I don'wanna check in...cranky missing workouts this weekend 'cause of stupid allergic reaction. :p

2009-05-04 5:23 PM
in reply to: #2129201

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
sympatric - 2009-05-04 3:49 PM Weekly Check-In! Today I start my first HIM training program. Looks like the volume jumps right up in the beginning. Have a couple of hour long bike rides and runs. Also looks like a 3500m swim. That will also be a first for me. This plan doesn't have a rest day for 2 weeks! Is that normal? Most of the plans (Sprint/Olympic) I have done in the past gave at least 1 rest day a week. Fingers Crossed. Pretty excited about getting out there. Have a good week all!

You must be starting the one that I am doing. Just finished week 2 (first time around) and was VERY thankful of that rest day.  Best thing is I get to start it all over again nest week when my 20 week mark actually hits...lol 
2009-05-04 6:57 PM
in reply to: #2127354

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
JeepFleeb - 2009-05-03 3:58 PM

Update: I qualified for Clearwater!

Who would have guessed that would happen on such a bad day?!?

Race report as soon as I get back home to Texas.

Gotta love when a bad day turns out something so great...CONGRATS!!!

Edited by Happychick 2009-05-04 7:00 PM
2009-05-04 7:03 PM

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Just checking in...I had a really awesome week.  Once again I exceeded my planned training AND got to buy new clothes in a size I've NEVER been able to wear before (at least not in my adult life!)  My training is starting to decrease since I have an upcoming race and that works out nicely since I have family coming in on Wed!!
2009-05-04 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2129681

User image

Regular
Dallas
gobluedds - 2009-05-04 5:23 PM

sympatric - 2009-05-04 3:49 PM Weekly Check-In! Today I start my first HIM training program. Looks like the volume jumps right up in the beginning. Have a couple of hour long bike rides and runs. Also looks like a 3500m swim. That will also be a first for me. This plan doesn't have a rest day for 2 weeks! Is that normal? Most of the plans (Sprint/Olympic) I have done in the past gave at least 1 rest day a week. Fingers Crossed. Pretty excited about getting out there. Have a good week all!

You must be starting the one that I am doing. Just finished week 2 (first time around) and was VERY thankful of that rest day.  Best thing is I get to start it all over again nest week when my 20 week mark actually hits...lol 

It sounds like we are both repeating the first month also. I will just watch you closely, so I will always know what it coming.
2009-05-05 12:19 AM

User image

somewhere in the northwest
Congrat's Aaron on your race and to everyone else that raced this weekendCool

Last week was not my best I'm going to try and do a easy 30 min run in the morning and see how my back holds up,feels ok now accept I still can't feel the bottom of my left foot.
I'm on about week 14 of the HIM training plan and just got done doing the 4000 yard swim (longest swim ever for me)and I have a 3.5 hour bike this week so I hope I can add the run's in so I don't forget how.  

2009-05-05 9:28 AM
in reply to: #2129546

User image

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
sympatric - 2009-05-04 4:26 PM Yes Bachman Lake is very close. Unfortunately, I haven't been there in years so I can't vouch for its condition. I have been told that it is kind of sketchy after dark. (Just what I have been told) If you don't mind driving a short way... The Katy Trail in uptown is nice. 3.5 mile out and back. http://www.katytraildallas.org/site/PageServer?pagename=homepageor the Dallas area exercise mecca White Rock Lake. It is a 10 mile loop. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/map.asp?route...

Thanks for the info!  Now if you guys could just dial in the weather so it's not raining when I get there, that would be greatCool
2009-05-05 12:21 PM

User image

Expert

Hey Gang.

Last week was very successful as I hit all my workouts and am feeling pretty good. This week it looks like everything should line up so that I'll be on target. I MIGHT have to push my Saturday ride to Sunday, but either way it will get done.

Congarts Aaron on your qualification, that's great. Congrats to everyone else who raced last weekend, I'll be joining your ranks in a few weeks.

Also, congrats to Michelle on the new clothes purchase. A size you haven't worn in your adult life?? Pretty awesome.

Keep up the good work.

2009-05-05 1:11 PM
in reply to: #2129876

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-05-05 4:01 PM

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Congrats to all! Willie, Aaron, Michelle - you are all awesome

I had a sprint tri this weekend that went better then I thought it would. I got stuck for the first half of the swim, so my time wasn't what I wanted. However, my bike was awesome and I broke 20mph for the first time ever in a race! So, that more then made up for the swim The run was good, I was happy I was even able to run so that alone was an accomplishment. Then the fact that I ran sub-9s even though I was chatting most of the run (I need to work on that) made me really happy.

This week begins my HIM training, but my leg is still acting up. So, it will be light on the running still, but I'll pick the bike back up and get myself back in the water. If the run keeps being an issue, I'll have add on more time aqua jogging. I will decide on Wednesday how it is doing.
2009-05-05 4:49 PM

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
Thanks to Todd and Patrick for clueing me into the Bachman lake trail.  My legs were dead, it was more humid than I'm used to, and I had a belly full of Big Al's BBQ, but the trail was just a stones throw from my hotel so I just couldn't pass it up!  I made two nice outdoor laps and stayed out of the hotels "fitness" room.  Thanks guys!

2009-05-05 4:53 PM

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
Training question for you:  the main set of one of my swim workouts this week calls for 20x75 at rpe5.  What kind of rest interval should I be taking between repetitions?  How about on a 2x1000?  Just wasn't sure how long to recover between sets.

Thanks.
2009-05-06 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2132427

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Timmeh! - 2009-05-05 4:53 PM Training question for you:  the main set of one of my swim workouts this week calls for 20x75 at rpe5.  What kind of rest interval should I be taking between repetitions?  How about on a 2x1000?  Just wasn't sure how long to recover between sets.

Thanks.

I would think since it is rpe5 it wouldnt be to much longer than 10 and 20 sec at most. Aaron can correct me if wrong. A little harder and make them alittle longer and easer make them shorter.
2009-05-06 6:54 PM

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Thanks Erin, Aaron, and Jeff!!

I know exactly what you mean Aaron when you mentioned getting caught up in a specific weight ~ it's seemed to have just melted off when my main goal was getting in shape for my first tri and not necessarily the weight loss (as I knew that would happen by default!)

I gotta say...this site has been a huge help.  There are so many people here that have helped, inspired, and motivated me during some hard times and it's amazing how far that can push you!!!
2009-05-07 10:46 AM

Expert

Aaron, quick question: The last few days I've had negative .4 energy. I'm tired all day and have no juice to work out. I'm racing a week from Sunday so technically I'm in a taper. What is better, slogging through these short workouts or should I skip one or some of them to try and get my body back to a rested state? On a side note, I have no idea why I'm like this right now, but I'm sitting at work with my eyes at half-mast. Back in my younger day people would have sworn I went on a bender last night, but no such thing happened. Very strange.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

*I hit enter on accident so had to edit

Edited by elheffe99 2009-05-07 10:46 AM
2009-05-07 11:49 AM
in reply to: #2136372

2009-05-07 12:40 PM
in reply to: #2136530

Expert

JeepFleeb - 2009-05-07 9:49 AM
elheffe99 - 2009-05-07 10:46 AM
Aaron, quick question: The last few days I've had negative .4 energy. I'm tired all day and have no juice to work out. I'm racing a week from Sunday so technically I'm in a taper. What is better, slogging through these short workouts or should I skip one or some of them to try and get my body back to a rested state? On a side note, I have no idea why I'm like this right now, but I'm sitting at work with my eyes at half-mast. Back in my younger day people would have sworn I went on a bender last night, but no such thing happened. Very strange.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Always err on the side of rest.  Once you get within two weeks of an A race, no training is going to deliver any fitness gains that will make a difference on race day.  You're done.  Whatever fitness you have right now is all you have to work with for this race.

Taper is a time to let your body rest/recover and what training is there is to maintain your fitness level.  You can do too much so you're under recovered and have less than peak fitness but you can also do too little which will result in less than peak fitness.

If you're tired, cut some workouts.  If you're a great runner but a horrible cyclist I'd ditch your scheduled runs but hold on to the rides if you can.

As for what's causing it: hard to say without knowing a lot more info.  It could be stress, sleep, nutrition (total calories, macronutrient makeup, timing), hydration, etc.  The only thing I can say for sure is that you're better off training less and resting more.  That's not really addressing the cause but it's definitely part of the solution.

Hope you feel 100% again soon!

Thanks for the thoughts. I'd heard about the fitness level you have two weeks out is pretty much what you have for race day. This is not an 'A' race either but just something to get me back in the game.

My guess is that there are a lot of different factors at play. I've always been a horrible water drinker and have been better in the past few months but have been slipping a bit lately. That plus the hot weather might mean more water. I've also started logging my nutrition for the first time in a LONG time. I've been eating around 2100-2500, with an exception now and again. Perhaps that's not enough? And as we all know there are always outside stresses that come in to play.

I'll probably try and hit a few more workouts but not kill myself in order to do so.

Thanks again.

2009-05-07 1:05 PM

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Aaron, you mentioned not eating enough calories, and I have a quick question about that. What I'm doing to lose weight is taking my estimated calories burned in a day minus 500 to hopefully result in a 1 pound / week weightloss. I used several sites to determine this number (I know none are exact, but it's the best I can do right now). I then add back in all workout calories. For instance, if I burn 300 calories on a ride, I eat an extra 300 calories that day. Is this effective? I read an article last night mentioning that you shouldn't replace all burned calories if you want to lose weight, but I'm really afraid of not eating enough. I'm struggling with my macro-nutrients but getting better with them. I do want to ensure I'm eating enough to get the most out of my workouts. Thanks!
2009-05-07 1:17 PM
in reply to: #2136771

2009-05-08 9:26 AM

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Happy Friday everyone. I had a good little swim to start the day and a good run planned for tonight. How does everyones weekend trianing look? Good rides/runs/ ows coming up? I will be hoping to beat the rain Saturday morning for some road time.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JeepFleeb's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 17