BT Development Mentor Program Archives » konichiwa's mentor group - Are we having fun yet? - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2009-06-15 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2151526

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: RE: konichiwa's mentor group - Are we having fun yet? - FULL
Can you tell Keri's had her caffeine today,,,, can ya,,,,, can ya????  LOL

Check this out.....  http://sites.google.com/site/controlledburnracing/Home
I wrote to the guy to get more information and he said it's the only race like it's kind in the area.  It will be 10-12 miles with 5 clue finding and special teams tests.  So it's kind of like a mini Amazing Race meets Survivor.  Anbody want to come down and do this with me?  I am trying to convince the husband but he's not sold just yet.

The 7th birthday party went fabulous!!!

(KeriannePuppy.jpg)

(JuneKAbdayDadMom.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
KeriannePuppy.jpg (47KB - 13 downloads)
JuneKAbdayDadMom.jpg (65KB - 12 downloads)

2009-06-15 11:56 AM
in reply to: #2217886

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ

I searched the Walmart web site but couldn't find the pump.  I'm pretty sure this is the mini frame pump I bought at Walmart for around 6 bucks and change:

http://skl.en.alibaba.com/product/211137401-200102265/Mini_Bike_Pump_Bike_Pump_bicycle_pump_ball_pump_Pump_air_pump_Multi_pump_bicycle_accessory.html

Initially, I had no success with this pump and my newfangled tire nozzle.  After I fished out the pump packaging from my garbage can, I was able to discern thru the orange mac & cheese stain that you can unscrew the pump doohicky to make it work with the funky tire nozzle.   Ultimately, son #3 (i.e. twin B) was able to use it to fill my tire.  I figure whenever I go for a bike ride I'll have him run along behind me if I get a flat.

:-)

This could be a problem when he goes back to college in September ...

Here is a picture of my bike:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ALUMINUM-CARBON-ROAD-TRI-BIKE-TRIATHLON-105_W0QQitemZ130311455286QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRoad_Bikes?hash=item1e572b0236&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C240%3A1308%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

It's probably not a great brand (what the heck do I know?), but it does have the clipless pedals and aero bars.  As I mentioned earlier, the price seemed pretty darn reasonable for an 18 speed road bike!  I researched on the web and most of the posts for this brand (Dawes) were positive.

The bike was delivered in six days.  Unfortunately my wife wasn't home the first day that UPS tried to deliver.  She stepped out again the second day and of course my aforementioned college student ignored the door bell and chose to continue sleeping.

I made him drive out to UPS to pick it up in person later that day!  That will teach him ...
2009-06-15 2:24 PM
in reply to: #2218592

User image

Regular
Frederick Maryland
http://www.geocities.com/cyqlist/valve.html   Hey guys, here's a link I found about presta v. schrader valves.  You'll pretty much only see presta valves in triathlon.  they are a little trickier but as you can see have more pros when it comes to triathlon.

good luck.

P.S.  RACE REPORT IS UP!   They are fun to enter!
2009-06-15 2:56 PM
in reply to: #2217980

User image

Regular
Frederick Maryland

Hey Keri, great pics!   thanks for the invite, but until I get feeling back in the....uhum....underworld, I'll pass.  Been to Conroe a few times though, and Galveston was fun!

Thanks for the kudos on my race.  made me smile

2009-06-15 5:26 PM
in reply to: #2219177

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
Congrats on the race Charlie!  How did you get the mud off of your feet?  By the way, great info.  I would have never thought overheating in the swim in June would be a factor.
Mental note:  don't cover up gear with wetsuit!

Great pics Keri!  Cherish these days with the kids, they grow up sooooooo fast.  I'm sure she will always remember her 7th bday.

Bought some tri shorts today from aevero on the BT home page for $29 and they threw in a free orange cycling jersey.  I decided to also buy a blue cycling jersey and they threw in another orange cycling jersey!  Guess they can't give those things away (ooopps, I guess they are ...).  I figure if I give up on the tri thing I can work at an airport directing jets on the runway or sell them to a prison chaingang ...
2009-06-15 8:25 PM
in reply to: #2217980

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

Glad to hear the party was fabulous.  Great pics!

2009-06-15 8:46 PM
in reply to: #2219587

User image

Pro
Houston
fontaic - 2009-06-15 5:26 PM Congrats on the race Charlie!  How did you get the mud off of your feet?  By the way, great info.  I would have never thought overheating in the swim in June would be a factor.
Mental note:  don't cover up gear with wetsuit!

Great pics Keri!  Cherish these days with the kids, they grow up sooooooo fast.  I'm sure she will always remember her 7th bday.

Bought some tri shorts today from aevero on the BT home page for $29 and they threw in a free orange cycling jersey.  I decided to also buy a blue cycling jersey and they threw in another orange cycling jersey!  Guess they can't give those things away (ooopps, I guess they are ...).  I figure if I give up on the tri thing I can work at an airport directing jets on the runway or sell them to a prison chaingang ...

Let me know how those shorts work out for you.  I have to get a pair for my 14 year old.  I think he'd probably need a mens XS.  They are cheap which is good and he could use a jersey as well.
Let me know what you think.
2009-06-15 10:07 PM

Finally got the computer thing figured out.  Reset to factory presets.

First of all congrats to Charlie on the race, I still cant even imagine going that distance(maybe next year).

Charlie, I also bought two pair of tri shorts from aevero, they were nice enough to throw in 2 white and black jersey's.  I'll wear them when some tunnage comes off.  I like them but have no other tri shorts to compare them too. 

I have a question to throw out there to anyone.  I went to the bike store today to see about bike shoe's and of course looked at bikes.  The employee asked how much I would like to spend on a bike and I said between 1000-2000.  My wife asked me "How long does the frame last on a bike for that price (w/out accidents)?
2009-06-16 7:34 AM
in reply to: #2220163

User image

Regular
Frederick Maryland

Thanks Guys!  

It's funny this triathlon stuff.  First you look to finish, then you start thinking....I can do better.  As for the Eagleman 70.3, I was looking to finish, then I was thinking I can best my buddies times at Eagleman last year (they were around 6:15). I ran a 5:52.  Now, two days later, and I'm all about a 5:30 next year! 

You'll be happy with the Aevero stuff.  It'll wear out a little more quickly, but hey, at that price just buy another.

Tim, bike frames last basically forever with proper maintenance and no accidents.  I donated my 1983 Bridgestone a few years back (which I'm bummed about now) and still have my 1988 GT Road bike.  You basically have steel, aluminum and carbon fiber frames (or some mix thereof).  Your components wear out before the frame (brakes, shifters, chain, crank etc.)

For under $2K, you can get a nice setup.  Last year, I bought a new '07 Felt F4 (Carbon Fiber) Road bike with Shimano Dura ace/Ultegra components for about 1800.   It's a road bike, but I do a lot of recreational riding too.  (Charity rides, centuries, etc.).

So, tell the Mrs. "Forever".  IMHO!

2009-06-16 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2220163

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

"How long does the frame last on a bike for that price (w/out accidents)?

Many big time manufacturers will have a limited warranty on their frames for life.  I know Trek and Specialized both do.  Generally speaking, I wouldn't consider the frame a "wear item".  Similar to cars, most ppl will upgrade before the condition of the item requires one to do so.

One thing my local LBS said to be is to buy the nicest frame you can afford now, and then upgrade the components (wheels, crank, gruppo etc.) over the next couple of years.  Then for the next bike you can just buy a new frame instead of a whole new bike.

On the $1000 side, you are looking at an entry level aluminum road bike.  For $2000 you can get a alum frame with a nicer gruppo (e.g. Ultegra) or a carbon fiber frame with a basic gruppo/wheelset.  At least this is my general evaluation of the larger manufacturers...trek, specialized, felt, cannondale, etc.  There are certainly cheaper bikes out there for other brands, but those I am less familiar with.

-Tim

2009-06-16 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2220862

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
For what it's worth, the brand new 2009 tri bike I just bought lists (according to the seller) for $1,895.  I purchased it for $595 + $39 shipping...

--Charlie1

2009-06-16 11:19 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
Today was long run day.
When am I going to stop hating running?
As usual there is a novel in my log Undecided

What does everyone elses week look like?  Tomorrow is swim day, I might do a brick on Thursday and I was thinking of going to the facility that is hosting my next tri on Friday.  Their pool is 50 meters and I've been swimming in a 25 yard pool so it might be good to put a few laps in at a 50m pool before race day.

Any input on a pool swim tri?  Have any of you guys done one???
2009-06-16 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2221293

User image

Regular
Frederick Maryland
what does my week look like?  I have several pool swims planned, all with adult beverage in hand!  quads are still sore, other than a little walking and short spins later this week....I'm in recovery Keri !!!
2009-06-16 12:45 PM
in reply to: #2221570

User image

Pro
Houston
URGuilty - 2009-06-16 12:41 PM what does my week look like?  I have several pool swims planned, all with adult beverage in hand!  quads are still sore, other than a little walking and short spins later this week....I'm in recovery Keri !!!

And you totally deserve it IronDude!!!
2009-06-16 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2221570

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
I actually attempted to workout in a friends pool (heated) while sipping watermellon martinis last weekend.  If you don't mind chlorinated vodka, it is possible ...  however the little watermellon balls don't float all that well.

I'm in awe of your 13 mile run!  I went on one 13 mile training run back in the day ... it scares the living daylights out of me now.

---Charlie1
2009-06-16 2:09 PM

User image

Regular
Frederick Maryland
Subject: Biking Limiters

Tim,

How do I go about defining what is limiting my bike performance?   I know a good bike fit is probably a start, but should I begin more weight training, less endurance training etc.?   Is this even possible?  

Charlie2

2009-06-16 10:40 PM

For the rest of this week, hell!!!  2 hour bike ride on Wednesday (hopefully not in the rain)  Thursday 75 minute bike ride Friday day off or maybe swim, Saturday 20min run, 30min bike, 20 min run, 30 min bike, 20 min run. 

For those who have done IM's these numbers don't seem high, but I have never ran or biked (except as a kid) these distances.  I just jogged for an hour on Monday and got in 6miles.  While finishing I thought back to when I started and had to walk part of the way just to make it a mile.  70.3 here I come. 

Thanks everyone for the info on the bike.  I'm sure it will make my wife feel better.

2009-06-17 6:48 AM
in reply to: #2223155

User image

Pro
Houston
mrtimbro - 2009-06-16 10:40 PM

For the rest of this week, hell!!!  2 hour bike ride on Wednesday (hopefully not in the rain)  Thursday 75 minute bike ride Friday day off or maybe swim, Saturday 20min run, 30min bike, 20 min run, 30 min bike, 20 min run. 

That is a lot!  When is your next race?  What distance is it?  Hoping you have clear skies today.

2009-06-17 8:33 AM
in reply to: #2223155

User image

Regular
Frederick Maryland
GO TIMBRO GO.  70.3
2009-06-17 9:04 AM

The next race is 17 days.  It is 5k,20k,5k.  The training plan I found for duathlon is for a slightly longer course.  I have tried to stick to it as close as possible.  Just tried to make it 2 hours on the bike, but my knee started to hurt.  I made it 1:45 with a slow pace.  When I stopped riding the pain stopped.  I think it is muscular, so I think I can take care of it.  The real test for the knee will be tomorrow morning, with the 75 min run. 
2009-06-17 12:34 PM
in reply to: #2221967

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Subject: RE: Biking Limiters

URGuilty - 2009-06-16 3:09 PM

Tim,

How do I go about defining what is limiting my bike performance?   I know a good bike fit is probably a start, but should I begin more weight training, less endurance training etc.?   Is this even possible?  

Charlie2

I guess it depends on what type of race you are trying to maximize your performance in.  For sprints or oly you can get away with rides never exceed two hrs.  For a HIM you probably want a ton of rides at or longer than your anticipated HIM bike split.  In either case the two things I think would help anyone are (1) riding more/longer, and (2) riding smarter.

Taking a look at riding more....I try to ride 4x per week.  I do one long ride on the wknd, one group ride (i.e. lots of short hard intervals) that's typically 1.5hrs, and the other 2 rides are a combination of tempo/LT/VO2max intervals or an easier ride.  Clearly, work, family, life, etc. make it hard to get them in ever single week, but you get the general idea.

As far as riding longer, I've been doing a 3hr ride (or longer) each weekend (excluding cutback weeks) since mid-March for a mid-July HIM.  Currently the rides are 4-4.5hrs and I've increased the intensity of the rides along the way.  Rides in March were mostly z2 pace, and now I'll throw in 2x1hr tempo into the ride and even some z4.

The riding smarter piece is simply put, "not always riding at the same pace".  I didn't look at your workouts specifically to know how you trained for EM, but this is one of the easier changes as it doesn't take any more time.  Depending on your fitness, you may take a weekday 1.5hr ride and throw in 4x10' z3/tempo with (2') rest in between.  Eventually you work that up to longer intervals...3x15 (3').....2x30 (5').  Once you are comfortable at the z3/tempo intervals then I start working in some z4.  Again starting at fewer minutes and building it up.  You can use RPE if you don't follow HR or use power.  Basically, you want to make sure you pace yourself so you are not fading over the last cpl intervals.

Beyond that, if the course is hilly, then losing weight will help.  I wouldn't worry about weight training as multiple studies have show little or no correlation b/t strength training and cycling performance.  I'd take that 1hr a week or so that you weight train and throw in another bike ride with some intervals if you can.

Fit and equipment can certainly help.

If you have the time, then ride more.  Regardless though, make sure you vary the effort on your rides.

Also, don't worry too much about your EM time.  I was reading on another forum and pretty much most had slower than expected bike splits b/c of the wind.  one coach even said that his 2:30 athletes road 2:40 and the 2:45 athletes road 3:00.  We all like to say I want a x:xx bike split, but you never know what the conditions will be on that day.

Let me know if anything isn't clear or if you have any other questions.

-Tim

Edited by konichiwa 2009-06-17 2:57 PM

2009-06-17 3:50 PM

User image

Veteran

Hi guys! Regarding the rest of the week, Tim and I are doing a half marathon with a coworker of mine on Saturday. Then, its off to meet our friends in Frederick, MD, for a medium-distance ride before going to a summer solstice party. Sunday will be our long ride -- one of the last ones before Mussleman! Looking forward to next week already, as its our taper and then the Philly tri (OLY) on the 28th!!!

2009-06-17 9:54 PM
in reply to: #2225163

User image

Regular
Frederick Maryland
Too bad I'm out of town!!   We have some really great rides here in Frederick.  If you're up for some hills, try a loop with Coxey Brown Road.  two miles of about 1100' elevation gain and grades at times over 20!  It's one of those few roads like that, and has bragging rights attached to it!!
2009-06-18 8:01 AM
in reply to: #2225772

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

URGuilty - 2009-06-17 10:54 PM Too bad I'm out of town!!   We have some really great rides here in Frederick.  If you're up for some hills, try a loop with Coxey Brown Road.  two miles of about 1100' elevation gain and grades at times over 20!  It's one of those few roads like that, and has bragging rights attached to it!!

It woulda been cool to meet up.  Next time.  We meet our friends a cpl times a year somewhere b/t Frederick, MD and Gettysburg, PA to do some riding. 

Will definitely look up Coxey Brown Rd.  Have you ever done Harp Hill Rd or the climbs in Catoctin Park?  Those are some of the regulars we do in your neck of the woods.

-Tim

2009-06-18 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2225163

User image

Pro
Houston
gymnutt03 - 2009-06-17 3:50 PM

Hi guys! Regarding the rest of the week, Tim and I are doing a half marathon with a coworker of mine on Saturday. Then, its off to meet our friends in Frederick, MD, for a medium-distance ride before going to a summer solstice party. Sunday will be our long ride -- one of the last ones before Mussleman! Looking forward to next week already, as its our taper and then the Philly tri (OLY) on the 28th!!!

Sounds like a great time!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » konichiwa's mentor group - Are we having fun yet? - FULL Rss Feed  

of 19