BT Development Mentor Program Archives » nevergivin's group (Closed) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2010-01-03 3:13 PM
in reply to: #2589357

User image

kelowna
Subject: RE: nevergivin's group (Closed)
nevergivin - 2010-01-02 11:25 AM Swim Technique and Drills
I wanted to talk about Swim Technique and Drills today because Ill be racing tomorrow. These are techniques that helped my get to where I am now swimming, and discuss some drills I use and include videos.
Basic balance,streamlining,propulsion,recovery are all techniques of swimming that I have improved and continue to try to master.

Thoughts on Total Immersion swimming? 

2010-01-03 6:24 PM
in reply to: #2590919

User image

Modesto, California
ThePassionDiva - 2010-01-03 1:13 PM
nevergivin - 2010-01-02 11:25 AM Swim Technique and Drills
I wanted to talk about Swim Technique and Drills today because Ill be racing tomorrow. These are techniques that helped my get to where I am now swimming, and discuss some drills I use and include videos.
Basic balance,streamlining,propulsion,recovery are all techniques of swimming that I have improved and continue to try to master.

I relate it to college, good stuff to give you the basics and the right and wrong of swimming that will give you a clear understanding of swimming, then to take your swimming to the next level  to get faster you will forget most of it.
2010-01-03 11:26 PM
in reply to: #2591205

User image

kelowna
nevergivin - 2010-01-03 4:24 PM

I relate it to college, good stuff to give you the basics and the right and wrong of swimming that will give you a clear understanding of swimming, then to take your swimming to the next level  to get faster you will forget most of it.

fair enough... good place to start. Since I know nothing that will help a lot. I watched all the drills as well, I will definitely add them to the list to get me going.

thanks!
2010-01-04 8:55 AM
in reply to: #2556071

User image

Expert
Alrighty, finally back to a normal life routine!!!  These past 2 weeks were fun and relaxing, lots of good time with family and kids, but I sure didn't do much training...  This was my first holiday season done while trying to do any forom of excercise, and I vastly overestimated my ability to make time to work out.  Sadly, the Duathlon I was planning for Jan 2nd had to be missed due to family stuff, and I didn't even get in so much as a run over the weekend in it's place.  In retrospect I don't think it was possible for me to do much more than I did, mainly due to the kids being out of school.  Today they start back, and I get back on plan!

RE: swimming - I read the Total Immersion book last summer when I was teaching myself to swim, and found it VERY helpful.  I had little knowledge of swimming, and it really helped to get the basics and understand the idea of efficiency.  I know fast swimmers generally say that it's not that good, but for me it was wonderful.  I am confident and calm in the water, and while I do swim relatively slow, it's no longer something I worry about.  I'm confident speed will come with time and practice, and while I'm sure one on one coaching or a Masters program would probably be better, I think Total Immersion is very helpful for the beginner.

The bummer of TI in my experience is that the balance drills need to be done with a partner at the beginning.  I still have problems doing the drills sucessfully, and never have a partner to help me when swimming.  It's a little frustrating that I can't do all the drills by myself.
2010-01-04 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2592065

User image

Modesto, California
norcal_SAHD - 2010-01-04 6:55 AM Alrighty, finally back to a normal life routine!!!  These past 2 weeks were fun and relaxing, lots of good time with family and kids, but I sure didn't do much training...  This was my first holiday season done while trying to do any forom of excercise, and I vastly overestimated my ability to make time to work out.  Sadly, the Duathlon I was planning for Jan 2nd had to be missed due to family stuff, and I didn't even get in so much as a run over the weekend in it's place.  In retrospect I don't think it was possible for me to do much more than I did, mainly due to the kids being out of school.  Today they start back, and I get back on plan!

RE: swimming - I read the Total Immersion book last summer when I was teaching myself to swim, and found it VERY helpful.  I had little knowledge of swimming, and it really helped to get the basics and understand the idea of efficiency.  I know fast swimmers generally say that it's not that good, but for me it was wonderful.  I am confident and calm in the water, and while I do swim relatively slow, it's no longer something I worry about.  I'm confident speed will come with time and practice, and while I'm sure one on one coaching or a Masters program would probably be better, I think Total Immersion is very helpful for the beginner.

The bummer of TI in my experience is that the balance drills need to be done with a partner at the beginning.  I still have problems doing the drills sucessfully, and never have a partner to help me when swimming.  It's a little frustrating that I can't do all the drills by myself.

Very well said, I agree with this 100%. For me the speed came once I started to focus on my interval pace and swimming more.
Masters has helped me the most, I can always ask one of the other swimmers to look at my stroke, my coaches are very busy and are not able to help as much as I would like. I have also made great improvements through video analysis and seminars, I recommend these also. I have found out the hard way how you actually swim and how you think you swim are extremely different. There are several camera models that are under $200.00 that take great underwater videos if you want to have your own group also.
2010-01-04 12:01 PM
in reply to: #2592232

User image

kelowna
nevergivin - 2010-01-04 7:46 AM
norcal_SAHD - 2010-01-04 6:55 AM Alrighty, finally back to a normal life routine!!!  These past 2 weeks were fun and relaxing, lots of good time with family and kids, but I sure didn't do much training...  This was my first holiday season done while trying to do any forom of excercise, and I vastly overestimated my ability to make time to work out.  Sadly, the Duathlon I was planning for Jan 2nd had to be missed due to family stuff, and I didn't even get in so much as a run over the weekend in it's place.  In retrospect I don't think it was possible for me to do much more than I did, mainly due to the kids being out of school.  Today they start back, and I get back on plan!

Very well said, I agree with this 100%. For me the speed came once I started to focus on my interval pace and swimming more.
Masters has helped me the most, I can always ask one of the other swimmers to look at my stroke, my coaches are very busy and are not able to help as much as I would like. I have also made great improvements through video analysis and seminars, I recommend these also. I have found out the hard way how you actually swim and how you think you swim are extremely different. There are several camera models that are under $200.00 that take great underwater videos if you want to have your own group also.

Thanks... this helps a lot.  I will definitely start with TI, since I am totally newbie... I can do the doggy paddle

2010-01-04 3:31 PM

User image

Modesto, California
After several years you will have a complete library on all aspects of triathlon, I have more than I care to own! The challenge is putting to use what you have learned and performing it properly. This is one of the advantages of having a coach, they can provide instant feedback, although for most they can be too expensive. This is where your local clubs will be of benefit, tri clubs,run clubs, masters swim,bike clubs. Most often you will find others with the same abilities and goals and are very affordable.
2010-01-04 11:00 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
So was everyones first day of the new year work out? 

For me it was interesting.  I had to change in to my swim suit while some guy thought it was ok to bring his 6 year old girl in the men's locker room to change.  I managed to cover up but the boys swim team was changing at the same time.  The daughter probably had some unasked questions on the way home.  There should be some rule about that. 
2010-01-04 11:23 PM
in reply to: #2594173

User image

Expert
ransick - 2010-01-04 9:00 PM So was everyones first day of the new year work out? 

For me it was interesting.  I had to change in to my swim suit while some guy thought it was ok to bring his 6 year old girl in the men's locker room to change.  I managed to cover up but the boys swim team was changing at the same time.  The daughter probably had some unasked questions on the way home.  There should be some rule about that. 

What should he have done with his daughter?  I know I've done similar things a few times with my now 7yo daughter when I've felt like I needed to.  I'm much more concerned about her safety than someone else's modesty. Surprised

My first workout of the new year was awesome!  A mountain bike ride I've done many times, but it was perfect today.  Damp, tacky soil, rocks were wet and slippery, and no one was out there (which is rare).  One hour of bliss.  I've missed school!
2010-01-04 11:32 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Edited by ransick 2010-01-05 12:00 AM
2010-01-04 11:39 PM
in reply to: #2594191

User image

Master
St. Louis
Sorry but I was actually a little annoyed.  If I had changed like usual, .....  Of course I didn't do that but maybe the Y should adopt a family changing area.  I will suggest that to my Y .

Edited by ransick 2010-01-05 12:01 AM

2010-01-05 7:35 AM
in reply to: #2584944

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Milkthecowbaby - 2009-12-30 5:31 PMI need a Heart Rate monitor. I had a Polar F6 for a month last year but i just didnt like it. I didnt like training with Heart Rates.

I think for my HIM in June i am going to have to train with one.

PINK....We are both doing HIM in June in 2010! THis is my first.
Cool! This is my first too! Should be, ahem, INTERESTING. LOL. As for HRM...I only use it on the trainer. I've never done any field tests or anything - usually go by RPE. (Or pace when running.) Coming from a 5K running background, I actually tend to push myself a little too hard, especially on long workouts. Any HR under 160 just doesn't feel like I'm really working hard, even if it means me exhausting myself in half an hour. Gotta work on "low and slow." LOL.
2010-01-05 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2594196

User image

Modesto, California
ransick - 2010-01-04 9:39 PM Sorry but I was actually a little annoyed.  If I had changed like usual, .....  Of course I didn't do that but maybe the Y should adopt a family changing area.  I will suggest that to my Y .

My daughter will turn eight next week and can assure you I have been in some of the most akward positions that have been boderline judgement calls, I am not welcome in the ladies room any more than she is welcome in the mens. I have been put in these positions mainly because she does not control her bathroom visits like adults do, I will always make her go at home, never fails she has to go as soon as we arrive somewhere. To make matters worse it could be the most filthy bathroom on the planet and she would not be instintive enough to realize the difference, and the thought of someone to offer to help her is non existent from my experience, and as parents we will worry ourselves to death about the possibilities of what could happen to a young child in a public bathroom. Most often bringing my daughter into a male bathroom knowing she will not come out harmed, catch some disease, and have the ability to go to the bathroom during an emergency without bieng scared to death is worth the humiliation I may face from men, boys,grandfathers. Im positive your situation could have been handled differently, maybe not. Try to put youself in that parents shoes though, most places dont have family bathrooms, maybe they should. 
2010-01-05 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2594573

User image

Master
St. Louis
I have no problem with dad's taking their daughter's in to public restrooms where men are covered (for the most part). I'm uncomfortable with them being in a locker room with dozens of naked man and boys. I guess I'm just a prude.On he bright side, his daughter has some good stories for the bus ride on the way to school :-)
nevergivin - 2010-01-05 8:25 AM
ransick - 2010-01-04 9:39 PM Sorry but I was actually a little annoyed.  If I had changed like usual, .....  Of course I didn't do that but maybe the Y should adopt a family changing area.  I will suggest that to my Y .

My daughter will turn eight next week and can assure you I have been in some of the most akward positions that have been boderline judgement calls, I am not welcome in the ladies room any more than she is welcome in the mens. I have been put in these positions mainly because she does not control her bathroom visits like adults do, I will always make her go at home, never fails she has to go as soon as we arrive somewhere. To make matters worse it could be the most filthy bathroom on the planet and she would not be instintive enough to realize the difference, and the thought of someone to offer to help her is non existent from my experience, and as parents we will worry ourselves to death about the possibilities of what could happen to a young child in a public bathroom. Most often bringing my daughter into a male bathroom knowing she will not come out harmed, catch some disease, and have the ability to go to the bathroom during an emergency without bieng scared to death is worth the humiliation I may face from men, boys,grandfathers. Im positive your situation could have been handled differently, maybe not. Try to put youself in that parents shoes though, most places dont have family bathrooms, maybe they should. 
2010-01-05 3:17 PM

User image

Expert
I did my run Lactate Threshold test today!  I really hope I did it right, cause I'd rather not do it again anytime soon...

Warm up, 30 minute hard effort time trial, clicking off a lap at 10 minutes, then a cool down jog.  My average pace for the final 20 minutes of the TT was 8:44 (after running 8:35 the first 10 minutes), and my Heart Rate was 163 (after averaging 164 for the first 10 minutes).  My HR was pretty consistent the whole run.  In retrospect, I think I could have pushed a *little* more, but it was a solid effort for me.  For reference, my one and only 5k race pace (done on Thanksgiving) was 8:15min/mile.

So, I think this means my LT is 163, right?  OK, now I've just got to figure out what to do with that...  of to re-read a few BT articles now.
2010-01-05 4:53 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Go to settings at the top of the page, then go to the Training Log Settings tab,then go to the Manage Your Heart Rate Zones Tab,click on create new Heart rate, 1.select running, 2. Enter your run LT # and hit calculate. Below it will show you all of the training zones and rates, add any notes or date and click submit. Now it will show on your training log.

2010-01-06 7:19 AM

User image

Modesto, California
Great job everyone keeping thier training going through the holidays! Im impressed!

Some of us have joined the peach challenge, if you did not get in and would like to, it should not be a problem, most challenges are always open and typically start at the first of each month. I enjoy them for the extra motivation.

Has everyone planned which races they are going to do for 2010?
Let me know if you need help or suggestions. Now is the time I set up my races for the comming year, although it may change or I may add some, at least I get it started and go with a plan so that I can set up my training program. I know some already have, great job! I also take time to set my goals for short and long term. You dont have to write them out on your training log, more people are using that for fun stuff or event reminders, however planning goals helps you target your training. I will set goals for bike speed, swim times,run hours, seminars, things like that. I can help with that too.
2010-01-06 11:01 AM

Veteran

WHAT TO EAT BEFORE WORKOUTS?

This would also apply to what everyone eats during the day.  I'm probably not eating enough, which isn't the best, but still trying to drop weight.

I'm having an issue with eating then during my workout my stomach gets upset.  I need to start eating for fuel not something that looks/tastes good.  I would like to not really eat much for lunch then have something right before my workout, if possible.  I know I need something or I won't have the energy I need.  For what ever reason, depending what I eat for lunch(on a 330to5 workout)  I will be swimming then have to burp, and for me that is difficult hehehe.

2010-01-06 12:06 PM
in reply to: #2597774

User image

Modesto, California
bigr82 - 2010-01-06 9:01 AM

WHAT TO EAT BEFORE WORKOUTS?

This would also apply to what everyone eats during the day.  I'm probably not eating enough, which isn't the best, but still trying to drop weight.

I'm having an issue with eating then during my workout my stomach gets upset.  I need to start eating for fuel not something that looks/tastes good.  I would like to not really eat much for lunch then have something right before my workout, if possible.  I know I need something or I won't have the energy I need.  For what ever reason, depending what I eat for lunch(on a 330to5 workout)  I will be swimming then have to burp, and for me that is difficult hehehe.

Great question! What you will find is that its different for everyone base on duration of exercise, taste preference, weight,etc. Most sports nutrition books are generalized  because of that but give you knowledge to let you experiment from there.
For me if Im trying to loose weight I will eat three hours before I exercise, while I exercise I will only drink NUUN if its under 1- hour, over that and I may take in a gel or Carb drink. When Im not dieting I will eat three hours before, if Im hungry 1 hour before I exercise I will take in a gel, after that and during workout is gels and Carb drink.

Here is a Coach Marni video about nutrition for 1- hour workouts, its very helpful and gives a long list of foods.
2010-01-06 12:28 PM
in reply to: #2597774

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
Bodybuilders will normally take a small carb and a small protein approx. 30 minutes before a workout.  Some of the more serious ones will also take a carb/protein mix mid-workout, but it's the post-workout that's the most important.

With all that being said, training for an endurance sport like Tri, taking in a small carb (like an Orange or an Apple - approx 15g-19g carbs) 20 minutes or so before your WO will give you energy and not upset your stomach.  During exercise, keep up adequate water intake and if needed, maintain your electrolyte balance with something like Gatorade.  A lot of naturalists simply put a couple of grains of sea salt in their water and that does the trick.  It's cheaper too and gives the water a 'smooth' feeling.

Try it and monitor yourself.  If you feel yourself tanking mid-workout, try a small amount of orange juice or half orange, etc.

Post-workout nutrition is really important.  Aim to take in carbs and protein within 30 minutes after your workout.  A shake is perfect for this.  Quick, easy and portable.

Hope any of this helps.  There's TONS more info on this topic depending on how involved you want to get into it.

Cheers!

Dave
2010-01-06 12:30 PM

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
Sorry Stuart...I guess we were typing at the same time.

Edited by Panther 2010-01-06 12:30 PM

2010-01-06 1:02 PM

Veteran

Great sounds like there should be a solution!!!  All of last year I was trying to loose weight and do some excercise, but this year I will get to have a new better focus.  STill loosing weight at first but while getting closer to my goal, I can worry more about better nutrition/workout foods. I have until next Tue for my 1year anniversy(of healthy living), 90lbs mark is so D&$# close heheheh.

Ill take the comments to mind, and after next week might ask for some extra help!!!

2010-01-06 1:21 PM
in reply to: #2598055

User image

Modesto, California
Panther - 2010-01-06 10:30 AM Sorry Stuart...I guess we were typing at the same time.

Cool!

Have any glaze recipes for Pacific Salmon and Red snapper?
2010-01-06 1:59 PM

User image

i been getting used to my new HRM. It is making a difference i think. I tend to slow down with out it. Its nice it links straight to the treadmill and the spin bike i use.

I can not wait for my training HIM program to start on Jan 30th!
2010-01-06 6:39 PM
in reply to: #2598049

User image

Master
St. Louis
Panther - 2010-01-06 12:28 PM

With all that being said, training for an endurance sport like Tri, taking in a small carb (like an Orange or an Apple - approx 15g-19g carbs) 20 minutes or so before your WO will give you energy and not upset your stomach. 

Post-workout nutrition is really important.  Aim to take in carbs and protein within 30 minutes after your workout. 

x2 on the apple and post workout meal.  A couple months ago I did a couple 1+ hour hard sessions after not eating for 5 hours.  My sweat started smelling like ammonia.  I did a little searching and it turns out one possible cause is not having adequate carbs available for energy.  I started eating an apple about an hour and a half before my workouts and the problem went away.  I also wasn't refueling the right way after a workout.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » nevergivin's group (Closed) Rss Feed  

of 21