BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Group - FULL!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2010-01-02 2:01 PM
in reply to: #2556283

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Disturbed275's Group - FULL!!
Sadly all my rides here lately have been on the drainer... I'm a wuss when it comes to cold weather.

2010-01-03 1:40 PM

User image

2 days straightSmile swam today felt pretty good. I am slowly feeling the motivation creeping in. I am afraid I have put on  a lot of weight but will start nutrition plan today and wait til end of Jan to really access the damage.
2010-01-03 4:27 PM

Happy new year everyone!
 I just returned from the pool where I was doing some very basic breathing drills. I find it difficult to breath out under water especially through my nose without ending up swallowing a lot of air. It feels like there is lots of resistance and I really have to force the air out. I am also getting water in my nose from time to time when I roll to the side for a breath. Has anyone else had similar problems and does anyone have any idea what I need to do different. The exercises I am doing is holding on to the pool edge and breathing in through my mouth above the surface and out through my nose or nose and mouth under water. I have also tried lying horizontal while doing this and turning to the side for a breath, I get water in my nose while doing this.Then I am slowly kicking floating on my side with the face down breathing out and turning for a breath. Any other good exercises?

/Christer

2010-01-04 1:18 AM
in reply to: #2591030

Veteran
Surrey, BC
ncSwede - 2010-01-03 2:27 PM

Happy new year everyone!
 I just returned from the pool where I was doing some very basic breathing drills. I find it difficult to breath out under water especially through my nose without ending up swallowing a lot of air. It feels like there is lots of resistance and I really have to force the air out. I am also getting water in my nose from time to time when I roll to the side for a breath. Has anyone else had similar problems and does anyone have any idea what I need to do different. The exercises I am doing is holding on to the pool edge and breathing in through my mouth above the surface and out through my nose or nose and mouth under water. I have also tried lying horizontal while doing this and turning to the side for a breath, I get water in my nose while doing this.Then I am slowly kicking floating on my side with the face down breathing out and turning for a breath. Any other good exercises?

/Christer

Im having the same problem. Every now and then I when I turn my head I get some water into my nose causing me to stop as I start coughing. Since my last swim I've been watching a lot of swimming videos on youtube to try to determine what I should be doing to correct what im doing. I maybe be hitting the pool again tomorrow or Tuesday so I'll let you if anything comes of it.
2010-01-04 8:09 AM
in reply to: #2591761

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
For both of you with your swims and learning to breath I would just take it really slow.

First, make sure your head is down and looking at the black line in the pool.  That will make sure you legs are not dropping and have to pick up your head less to breathe.  Second, as you bring your arm through on a pull underwater, that should rotate your body a good amount towards the side you want to breathe on, then turn your head the rest of the way.

If you go slowly enough, it should work.  It does take some practice.  I still don't totally breathe all the air out my nose or mouth.  I still many times do a dolphin blow out as I come up for air - not recommended because I am spending too much time with my head above water and slowing down my stroke.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

2010-01-04 10:21 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
to you guys getting water in your nose... without "Seeing" it, it could be a couple of things, but most likely you are not breathing in your "pocket."

Your head, when in the correct position, actually blocks water (the water line is actually a bit lower from your forehead to your shoulder...roughly... when you are moving forward in the water.) this would lead me to believe your that your head/neck is twisting instead of rotating. Try to keep thinking "keep my spine straight" and rotating your face (and body) towards the air. (Your spine ends at the base of your skull btw, not top of your back... some people don't realize it.)

Also... nose clips are available, which is a quick fix, but that doesn't resolve the underlying problem

edit: I think Carrie said it better

Edited by Leegoocrap 2010-01-04 10:22 AM

2010-01-04 12:58 PM
in reply to: #2589414

User image

Veteran
Did 2 hours outside yesterday.  30 deg 20 mph wind.  It was cold for Va, but I survived.   Started out pretty good, but definately slowed after a while as I got colder (you can see it in my log data uploaded from by Garmin GPS).

My budy at work said he saw some nut riding over the weekend and described him to me.  I had to laugh since he saw me riding and didn't know it.

Edited by Jacklcm 2010-01-04 12:59 PM
2010-01-04 3:11 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Question for your all since you know I struggle with running.

I ran my 2+ miles yesterday before my bike to make sure I could get in a quality run (and not be tired from the bike).  How often can I do this without hurting myself from not doing the right transition (i.e. bike to run)?  I struggle with HR training since my HR spikes, and coming off the bike just makes it spike a little quicker.

Thoughts???  Just getting frustrated from the HR training and taking it slow . . .
2010-01-04 8:48 PM

Carrie and Chris, Thanks for your suggestions for my breathing problems I tried to keep these things in mind today and things seemed to go better. I am not as bloated with air as I was yesterday leaving the pool. Chris, I understand what you are saying about the wave from my head I need to breath behind, the problem right now is that I am not going fast enough for this wave to happen.

Carrie, for some people it works better to go by perceived exertion rather than heart rate see:

http://www.smccd.edu/accounts/mcgill/RPE.html and

http://ezinearticles.com/?Heart-Rate-and-Rate-of-Perceived-Exertion&id=449820

Jack, well done to get out for the bike although it was very cold. Here it is also cold right now(about 15F), you know it is cold when the people sitting next to the indoor swimming pool waiting for their kids are wearing down jackets as they where today…

2010-01-04 9:09 PM

Lukasz, I have also been watching lots of videos online and trying to mimick what they are doing. I have also ordered the TI dvd an book and can not wait until I get them. When I can do a couple of lengths I think I will take some help from a coach, but now I get exhausted so quickly that I will not be able to get a good value from the coaching session.
2010-01-04 9:30 PM

Hi everyone.  I'm about about the same place you are with the swimming.  I just got back from the pool (my third swim training).  I have the same problems with breathing and just getting too tired to do more than a length at a time.

Do you really think you can go too slow to get the pocket for breathing?  Because I've been watching the better swimmers and they go much slower than I do.  I've been trying to slow down, relax and focus on breathing comfortably.

I've been seeing improvement just in the fact that I don't swallow as much water, which I'm pretty excited about.

Also, I used a kick board for the first time today.  I went sooo slow, it was towards the end of my swim; I was so tired I barely made it 50m.  I was pretty surprised at how poorly my legs pushed me through the water.  Something else to work on.

2010-01-05 7:12 AM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Good advice for our swimmers.  Thanks guys.

One thing you'll also want to watch is to make sure that you are doing most, if not all, of you exhalation under water.  This will prevent you from trying to exhale and then breathe in at the same time when you turn your head.
2010-01-05 7:12 AM

User image

To all those struggling with the swimming I will just say stay at it. The breathing and getting tired quickly will all fade as you swim more. Work on technique and getting comfortable in the water. I am not a great swimmer but am comfortable in the water and can keep my heart rate down now and I guarantee I struggled as much or worse than everyone last year when I started. From looking at logs and listening to blogs it sounds like your all doing pretty good to me.
2010-01-05 7:16 AM
in reply to: #2594404

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
fungi32 - 2010-01-05 7:12 AM To all those struggling with the swimming I will just say stay at it. The breathing and getting tired quickly will all fade as you swim more. Work on technique and getting comfortable in the water. I am not a great swimmer but am comfortable in the water and can keep my heart rate down now and I guarantee I struggled as much or worse than everyone last year when I started. From looking at logs and listening to blogs it sounds like your all doing pretty good to me.

I'll echo Kip's advice here.  A lot of you sounded exactly like me when I started.  Read and learn what you can, but more than likely if you put in consistent work at the pool you will notice things slowly and surely getting easier and you never know, you may have one of those "epiphany" where everything seems to fall into place.

So keep at it, you're doing great!
2010-01-05 7:49 AM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Everyone is right, the swim will come with time, unfortunately, it is like me with the run, we all need patience.  I used to swim all the time where I would swim the length stop and take a breath.

One thing I learned very quickly is that very poor technique will cause exhaustion VERY VERY quickly.  My very first swim I did a mile in 48 or 58 minutes and I was wiped.  Then my first swim class after that the coach corrected a few things about arm placement, I immediately dropped my times down under 40 just with technique changes. I still got tired cuz I needed to develop swim muscles, but I was more efficienct in the water.

Examples of back technique:
- if you are kicking from the knees and not from the hips
- if you are not getting a high elbow, but swimming with your arms out to the side

Just a little inspiring story:  Over the summer I practiced with a pull buoy 100% of the time.  I didn't know how to kick properly and would cramp all the time.  Still did very well and got very strong in the upper body and did well in my races.  However, my coach now makes me kick and she taught me how to do it properly.  I have been with her since beginning of November and I still struggle mightily kicking because I will still develping those muscles.  Last night was the first night I was able to do lap after lap of backstroke kicking --- YAH.
2010-01-05 7:55 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
So...
after e-mailing / calling my coach multiple times the last two weeks (and not getting any reply) I'm pretty sure I've got no training plan for my Ironman in Sept.

I am at a loss. I was really planning on somebody else doing the "numbers" so I could focus on doing the training. Now It looks like I'm going to be doing that too... This is not a good thing.

/Vent

2010-01-05 8:38 AM
in reply to: #2594502

User image

Veteran
Do you not trust the plans from BT?  I've seen other websites that have paid plans with some big name tri people's developing them.  I'm using a BT plan right now and all I can do is trust that its good enought.   I was consulting with a local coach about my plans for doing a half IM in May and he said I would be OK if I had a good plan, but I'm not sure how do you know you have a good plan except for after the race is done?  The plan I picked had a starting point that I could handle and it has a duration (20 weeks) that meets my schedule.
2010-01-05 8:48 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
I haven't really Looked at any plans yet... I'm sure BT's plans are good (and it looks like I'll be using one now) but most are set up for 20weeks, and I have already made plans/preparations with work for 36 weeks. So... I'm still up in the air with what to do with 16 weeks... modify the 20wk... just wait... I don't know.

I was planning on doing my Iron distance in 12 hours at the most. Preferably in the realm of sub 11... but now it's all up in the air and having A (any) plan to get me to the finish line is priority #1.
2010-01-05 11:17 AM
in reply to: #2594659

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
If you are not comfortable with BT plans or you just want to do the work and have someone run the numbers for you, I know alot of people in the Chicagoland area use trainingbible.com for their coaching and successfully finish IM with PR's.

The owner is Adam Zucco and is very personable and he has many coaches to choose from and you don't have to have a local coach.  He is the one that did the tri seminar I went to this past weekend.  All his training and coaching is based on Joe Freils book, "The Training Bible".

http://www.trainingbible.com/

I know that they are not that cheap, depending on what plan you choose or what support you require, but they are very good and give you lots of data.  He also has a great network of people to bounce ideas off of for his athletes. 

It doesn't cost anything to make a phone call . . .

I would be interested to see what you ultimately end up doing.  Good luck
2010-01-05 7:48 PM

Went to the pool again today. It is starting to feel a tiny bit better, at least I have a feeling of what I should be doing. I am still far from swimming a couple of lengths, but if I can work some more on the breathing part I should be able to do a length soon. One of the many mistakes I know I am doing is if I do not think ablout it I look forward instead of down. I also start kicking and pushing way to hard unless i force myself to relax and taking it slow. Thanks for all the advice, I will give it a go again tomorrow.
2010-01-05 7:53 PM
in reply to: #2596464

User image

Cedar Rapids
Anyone else completely ready for the deep freeze season to be over?! I am sick of negative degree wind-chills and highs in the lower single digits. Where are you spring!? I need you!!

2010-01-05 8:00 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Excellent -- glad to hear it is getting better!!!

I have a breakthrough tonight as well - 35 miles, 2 hrs on the trainer (doing my HIM course).  Felt good.  Tell me, after all this hard work with I at least have sweet legs???  Hope so . . .

Hope everyone's training is going well
2010-01-05 8:09 PM
in reply to: #2596483

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
. . .  and my girly parts didn't start screaming at me about being in the saddle until mile 22!!!! YIIIPPPPIIIIEEEE

2010-01-06 7:09 AM
in reply to: #2594659

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Leegoocrap - 2010-01-05 8:48 AM I haven't really Looked at any plans yet... I'm sure BT's plans are good (and it looks like I'll be using one now) but most are set up for 20weeks, and I have already made plans/preparations with work for 36 weeks. So... I'm still up in the air with what to do with 16 weeks... modify the 20wk... just wait... I don't know.

I was planning on doing my Iron distance in 12 hours at the most. Preferably in the realm of sub 11... but now it's all up in the air and having A (any) plan to get me to the finish line is priority #1.

Is there a HIM you'd like to do around the 16 week mark.  It seems like you could use the first 16 weeks to build and comfortably surpass the distance for that race in the first 16 weeks and then use the remaining 20 to build to IM.

It seems like I'm always hybridizing training plans to suit my specific needs.  It seems to have worked so far, but like you said it would be nice to have an experienced coach figure it all out for you.  I hope you get it all sorted out
2010-01-06 7:11 AM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
ncSwede - 2010-01-05 7:48 PM Went to the pool again today. It is starting to feel a tiny bit better, at least I have a feeling of what I should be doing. I am still far from swimming a couple of lengths, but if I can work some more on the breathing part I should be able to do a length soon. One of the many mistakes I know I am doing is if I do not think ablout it I look forward instead of down. I also start kicking and pushing way to hard unless i force myself to relax and taking it slow. Thanks for all the advice, I will give it a go again tomorrow.

Great job!  Just keep at it!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Group - FULL!! Rss Feed  

of 26