BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triritter/William Ritter "Rock Out in 2010" CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2010-01-18 9:37 PM
in reply to: #2615278

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: triritter/William Ritter "Rock Out in 2010" CLOSED!
antlimon166 - 2010-01-15 7:57 AM
eca712 - 2010-01-14 11:16 PM Aha! I solved the non-running shin splint mystery. I realized that my shins are sore because when I was spinning on Sunday, I tried to take the advice of a cycling website and keep my heels down. But instead of pushing them down, I used my shins to pull up my toes. Yep, smart. Well at least now I know what happened.

thanks for bring this up b/c it reminds up a question i have.  i'm relatively new to cycling and i've always wondered how much the calf muscle and others in the lower leg should be used in the pedal stroke.  i've noticed when watching others ride their calf muscles noticably contract on the down stoke.  should there be an intetional push with the toes at some point near the bottom of the stoke? i've tried messing around it on the trainer and can't seem to figure out if that's proper or not.  seems like pushing with the toe may take away from some of the push with the quad?  or, maybe i'm just not coordinated to do both at the same time?

wld love to hear some tips, especially from those that average over 24mph at a HIM like ironstar.Wink

Bump... I'm curious about this question too. C'mon, Ritter, we'll tell blueseventy if you don't know the answer :p

2010-01-18 11:54 PM
in reply to: #2563913

User image

Veteran
Folks, A question about equip:
I have DeSoto tri shorts but have found the "sharkskin" appearance comes off after several bricks. I like that sharkskin look.  I wash them according to instructions. Pool water destruction? Just wondering. Also, is there a recommended brand that may last longer? 2XU? Zoot? Preferences anyone?

Cycling shoes? About to buy some? Should I choose from the pedal perspective or the shoe perspective? I am hearing the the paddle/ lollipop style pedal is acceptable to most people. T or F?

Whats the difference between gel or liquid nutrition for longer races? I totally notice the difference on my longer runs with the depletion of energy when using only water.

Any input on hydration belts v. hydration packs? I don't particulary like the pack, but it holds more crap (it would seem).

What's the rule on shoe turnover for running shoes? I am about 300 mi. or so, but they look good. Should I get away with replacing the insert?

Breaks over, back on your Heads.
------
Jeff
2010-01-19 6:13 AM
in reply to: #2620969

Master
Montgomery, Tx
StrayDog - 2010-01-18 11:54 PM Folks, A question about equip:
I have DeSoto tri shorts but have found the "sharkskin" appearance comes off after several bricks. I like that sharkskin look.  I wash them according to instructions. Pool water destruction? Just wondering. Also, is there a recommended brand that may last longer? 2XU? Zoot? Preferences anyone?

Cycling shoes? About to buy some? Should I choose from the pedal perspective or the shoe perspective? I am hearing the the paddle/ lollipop style pedal is acceptable to most people. T or F?

Whats the difference between gel or liquid nutrition for longer races? I totally notice the difference on my longer runs with the depletion of energy when using only water.

Any input on hydration belts v. hydration packs? I don't particulary like the pack, but it holds more crap (it would seem).

What's the rule on shoe turnover for running shoes? I am about 300 mi. or so, but they look good. Should I get away with replacing the insert?

------
Jeff

Here are some answers that I am sure of.
Your suit will break down in the pool water.  I would buy a suit made just for the pool.  I am sure ritter has a brand in mind.

liquid nutrition for long training rides is what most people prefer because the cost is much less in the long run, and it is easier to carry

As far as shoes.  I buy new ones when my hips/feet start having pain after long runs.  The shoes may still look good but the mid sole starts breaking down and you get less cushion.  This is usauly between 300-400 miles
2010-01-19 6:40 AM
in reply to: #2620837

User image

Tyler,
eca712 - 2010-01-18 9:37 PM
eca712 - 2010-01-14 11:16 PM Aha! I solved the non-running shin splint mystery. I realized that my shins are sore because when I was spinning on Sunday, I tried to take the advice of a cycling website and keep my heels down. But instead of pushing them down, I used my shins to pull up my toes. Yep, smart. Well at least now I know what happened.

thanks for bring this up b/c it reminds up a question i have.  i'm relatively new to cycling and i've always wondered how much the calf muscle and others in the lower leg should be used in the pedal stroke.  i've noticed when watching others ride their calf muscles noticably contract on the down stoke.  should there be an intetional push with the toes at some point near the bottom of the stoke? i've tried messing around it on the trainer and can't seem to figure out if that's proper or not.  seems like pushing with the toe may take away from some of the push with the quad?  or, maybe i'm just not coordinated to do both at the same time?

wld love to hear some tips, especially from those that average over 24mph at a HIM like ironstar.Wink

Bump... I'm curious about this question too. C'mon, Ritter, we'll tell blueseventy if you don't know the answer :p

Not sure how I over looked this one. Anyways school is starting...probably a small paper a week Elizabeth I'll let you know for sure.

For you pedaling techinque I try to model Coach Joe Friels (sp?)  advice...anyways he has a blog. I try to keep my foot forward in the shoe. With the tri bike your feet are pointed slightly down and on the road bike my foot is more flat. However I don't necessarily push unncessarily hard, I try to average a cadence around 90-100rpm, but I do push hard, you get me??

Right now we are doing a lot of high cadence intervals, over gear, and single leg pedaling on the trainer. You can read my logs ya know. During the season I am sure it will be more threshold, power intervals, and time trials.

I am still trying to figure out which swim skin to get from blueseventy. Since I suck at swimming do I get one above the knee or below the knee?
2010-01-19 6:48 AM

User image

Tyler,

Hmmm....not sure. If it says "ultra race suit" or something like that it probably won't last as long. I have a pair of zoot shorts that were ultra race and they didn't last too long. I trained long hours in the saddle with them sometimes and got a hole in the crotch I still wear them sometimes though

anybody? I think I have that pedal you are talking about.

gel is the form of  a guey substance (power gels, GU, hammer gel) and liquid nutrition would be sports drinks ( cytomax, gatorade, heed). Be careful with the marketing and find what works best for you. Practice with it training for before your big race.

I haven't gotten one yet but after an episode at the iron star triathlon after taking in too much gatorade I might be looking into it as well.

In general shoes last 300-500 miles or every 6 months.

------
Jeff
2010-01-19 6:54 AM
in reply to: #2621047

User image

Tyler,
TriPatrick - 2010-01-19 6:13 AM

------
Jeff

Your suit will break down in the pool water.  I would buy a suit made just for the pool.  I am sure ritter has a brand in mind. I don't think they make just swim suits or tri suits. Mainly wetsuits for cold water and swim skins to wear over your tri suit for when water temp is above 78.

liquid nutrition for long training rides is what most people prefer because the cost is much less in the long run, and it is easier to carry
I used a gel every 30 minutes at iron star. Although I am little more conservative with them during training though. I'm not using gels or sports drinks right now, the whole fat for fuel thing.

As far as shoes.  I buy new ones when my hips/feet start having pain after long runs.  The shoes may still look good but the mid sole starts breaking down and you get less cushion.  This is usauly between 300-400 miles

Good! Except you want to have new shoes before you start having pain!

2010-01-19 6:23 PM

StrayDog - 2010-01-18 11:54 PMWhat's the rule on shoe turnover for running shoes? I am about 300 mi. or so, but they look good. Should I get away with replacing the insert?

------
Jeff
For high-mileage people, it seems worthwhile to check out http://www.herseycustomshoe.com/ I've never seen, read, or heard a bad thing about them, and when you factor in the resole prices, it's not expensive.
2010-01-19 9:14 PM
in reply to: #2621084

User image

Veteran
triritter - 2010-01-20 4:54 AM
TriPatrick - 2010-01-19 6:13 AM

------
Jeff

Your suit will break down in the pool water.  I would buy a suit made just for the pool.  I am sure ritter has a brand in mind. I don't think they make just swim suits or tri suits. Mainly wetsuits for cold water and swim skins to wear over your tri suit for when water temp is above 78.

I used a gel every 30 minutes at iron star. Although I am little more conservative with them during training though. I'm not using gels or sports drinks right now, the whole fat for fuel thing.

Good! Except you want to have new shoes before you start having pain!

All good information guys. Thanks a lot. I have a good direction now. Good point Ritter on the Liquid for the long rides. I think I will stick with the DeSoto shorts, plus they are cheaper than other brands and based on the info from everybody they will perform well throughout the year. I will remember to change to swim tights when in the pool. I hate that though, it's such a pain. Looking at new shoes soon.

Other news: Question about Aero bar hydration system. Can anyone comment on one brand or another?

Are the gels lighter to carry during a race?

I am not doing heart rate training. Should I and really, how much more effective would it be for me?

Helmets: Where is the rating on the damn thing? Does USAT really check to see what the rating is pre race? What can I get away with? What can't I? I have a bell. I think it says there is a CPSC rating for safety. I can't be sure, it's in french.

Also, I am thinking of dropping my first tri. It's an oly distance. I am a little nervous about that. The other races I have chosen are smaller. Any feedback (besides suck it up maggot and RUN!). I have chosen the 16 wk Olympic- 3X Balanced training plan to start and I am feeling pretty good about it. 

A real question: Weights. Some trainer tout weights to varying degrees throughout training. All agree that resistance training is beneficial. However, some trainers either taper off the weights or omit the resistance training all together when the build portion training starts. Q: Resistance training throughout or taper off? 
-------
Jeff 

2010-01-19 10:27 PM
in reply to: #2621070

User image

Veteran
triritter - 2010-01-19 7:40 AM

Not sure how I over looked this one. Anyways school is starting...probably a small paper a week Elizabeth I'll let you know for sure.

For you pedaling techinque I try to model Coach Joe Friels (sp?)  advice...anyways he has a blog. I try to keep my foot forward in the shoe. With the tri bike your feet are pointed slightly down and on the road bike my foot is more flat. However I don't necessarily push unncessarily hard, I try to average a cadence around 90-100rpm, but I do push hard, you get me??

Right now we are doing a lot of high cadence intervals, over gear, and single leg pedaling on the trainer. You can read my logs ya know. During the season I am sure it will be more threshold, power intervals, and time trials.

I am still trying to figure out which swim skin to get from blueseventy. Since I suck at swimming do I get one above the knee or below the knee?

Umm who's Elizabeth?! Hahaha
2010-01-19 10:35 PM
in reply to: #2621084

User image

Veteran
PS- Speaking of worn out shoes, if you have some old pairs laying around, you can donate them to Haiti:

http://www.everymantri.com/everyman_triathlon/2010/01/help-haiti-by-donating-and-sending-your-gently-worn-running-shoes-to-those-in-need.html

I'm kicking myself! JUST threw out an old pair this weekend when I got new ones and thought, "Hmm, should I save these to donate? Nah, nobody wants my old sneakers." So can someone do my good deed for me?
2010-01-19 10:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Aaaaand one more thing: any experience with foam rollers? One of my calves was feeling kind of tight during my run yesterday, so when I got home today I dug an old wooden massage roller (the kind that you can massage your feet on) and went at my lower legs. Holy mother of god are there some crazy knots deep in my left calf. So I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to get the roller? Or can I just use my old wooden one? Either way, though, I think this needs to be a new part of my nighttime routine.

2010-01-20 6:34 AM
in reply to: #2623246

User image

Tyler,
eca712 - 2010-01-19 10:27 PM
triritter - 2010-01-19 7:40 AM

Umm who's Elizabeth?! Hahaha

Ooops...no offense Emily. I was really thinking about you but said Elizabeth. That's probably not the first time it has happened to someone.
2010-01-20 6:36 AM
in reply to: #2623255

User image

Tyler,
eca712 - 2010-01-19 10:35 PM PS- Speaking of worn out shoes, if you have some old pairs laying around, you can donate them to Haiti:

http://www.everymantri.com/everyman_triathlon/2010/01/help-haiti-by-donating-and-sending-your-gently-worn-running-shoes-to-those-in-need.html

I'm kicking myself! JUST threw out an old pair this weekend when I got new ones and thought, "Hmm, should I save these to donate? Nah, nobody wants my old sneakers." So can someone do my good deed for me?

Hey EMILY! Great idea. I just threw my old pair in the washer (only wash once I am done with them . The link you gave didn't work, at work.
2010-01-20 6:40 AM
in reply to: #2623263

User image

Tyler,
eca712 - 2010-01-19 10:38 PM Aaaaand one more thing: any experience with foam rollers? One of my calves was feeling kind of tight during my run yesterday, so when I got home today I dug an old wooden massage roller (the kind that you can massage your feet on) and went at my lower legs. Holy mother of god are there some crazy knots deep in my left calf. So I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to get the roller? Or can I just use my old wooden one? Either way, though, I think this needs to be a new part of my nighttime routine.

If your massage roller works fine then keep it! I have actually never really used one, except this girl at the Cap tex tri expo last year was trying some roller thing out on my legs and I was like oh crap!!!
2010-01-20 6:48 AM

User image

Tyler,
Hey guys,

My semester has started and my professor has gave us some "work" as he likes to put it. We have a case analysis in apa format every week or two and he says you'll probably average 15-20 and maybe more pages on it with 20-30 sources. First one is due on Monday and I haven't had a chance to get started yet except read the case.

Remember your efforts in this forum is what makes the group worth while. Make sure your updating yourlogs (can't stress that enough so you can see progress and efforts and can see what went wrong if anything does), posting questions on the forum, and encouraging each other. Racing season is almost here so I hope your getting prepared.
2010-01-20 7:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Hawkins
As usual, I am late to the ongoing discussions regarding gear, so whatever I have to say is probably already outdated. Wink  BUT:  yes, wear a swimsuit/jammers for pool swims as chlorine definitely breaks down the material.  Liquid nutrition on the bike or a gel, but liquid only on the run.  Hydration packs:  Nathan's has a belt that takes a full bottle on the lumbar region with very little bounce.  Helmet:  I like my Rudy Wingspan--very versatile on the ventilation options (V's anyone?), light, and easy to put on/take off.  Shoes: were you referring to cycling shoes or running? 

2010-01-20 8:59 AM

Master
Montgomery, Tx

How many  miles a week should I run to keep my base up?  I also want to integrate some good speed drills along with some hill repeats every other week or weekly if need be.   

I will only do 2 maybe 3 tri's this year and all will be later in the summer early fall.  I will end the year at Iron Star again and I was looking at bridgland in August, maybe East side, or an Olympic. 

I am looking to get back on my bike today and get my miles back up.  Any get back in the saddle programs you have throw them my way.  I will get longer rides on the weekend, but trainer time may be more realistic right now because of working 2 jobs.  SInce I am not racing for awhile (as of now) I need to keep the wife happy with "hidden" training times when she is not awake. 

2010-01-20 10:46 AM
in reply to: #2623749

User image

Tyler,
TriPatrick - 2010-01-20 8:59 AM

How many  miles a week should I run to keep my base up?  I also want to integrate some good speed drills along with some hill repeats every other week or weekly if need be.   

I would say back off your running 2-3x a week right now maybe one semi quality session and focus more on your swimming/biking. You could alternate tempo, progession run every other week or so maybe a long run up to keep that going. It's still early in the year.

I will only do 2 maybe 3 tri's this year and all will be later in the summer early fall.  I will end the year at Iron Star again and I was looking at bridgland in August, maybe East side, or an Olympic. 

I am looking to get back on my bike today and get my miles back up.  Any get back in the saddle programs you have throw them my way.  I will get longer rides on the weekend, but trainer time may be more realistic right now because of working 2 jobs.  SInce I am not racing for awhile (as of now) I need to keep the wife happy with "hidden" training times when she is not awake. 

Overgear intervals from like 4-6x 3-5min with equal recovery, high cadence, single leg pedaling. mix it up. maybe an hour base ride here and there and longerish ride on the weekend on trainer or outside with some cadence or overgear  and race pace cadence things.

2010-01-21 8:24 AM

Master
Montgomery, Tx
Sounds good Ritter.
I am going to take a few more days off before I jump into more training.  I feel completely recovered from the marathon, but I want a few more days to make sure. 
2010-01-21 9:34 AM
in reply to: #2625922

User image

Tyler,
TriPatrick - 2010-01-21 8:24 AM Sounds good Ritter.
I am going to take a few more days off before I jump into more training.  I feel completely recovered from the marathon, but I want a few more days to make sure. 

let your body recover from running and only do easy running to maintenance (base sessions) for about 3 weeks or so. everyone is different though.
2010-01-23 1:36 PM

User image

Veteran
How's everyone doing? I was juuuust figuring out the best way to cram my workouts into my schedule, and then I found out yesterday that my paper is getting published next month! Which is awesome, but also means that my schedule just got that much tighter- eek! Man, I can't wait until March- paper will be published, auction I'm organizing will be over... but until then, it's going to be a struggle to get those workouts in. Speaking of which... off to the bike. Have a good weekend everyone!

2010-01-23 5:29 PM

Master
Montgomery, Tx
I am getting back on my bike tomorrow.  I can not wait to get my butt back in cycling shape.
2010-01-24 9:48 AM

User image

Tyler,
hey hey hey,

My training is picking and so is school work. Let me know how your doing and I'll check at work at n the morning during my morning duties. 

Coach sent me my schedule for the next 2 weeks. I will be at a swim clinic with Michael Dawdy from Max V02 from 9-11am this coming Saturday at the Tom Landry Fitness center. Then the following weekend is a mini camp as for as days go since it's only the weekend with some guys in Forth Worth  for some mega training. The following Saturday is a 6 hour day. ouch. 

Anyways I'll deal with that when it gets here. Have a good week!  
2010-01-24 11:15 AM

User image

Veteran

I'll be getting back into the training soon I hope. I have not been doing much training lately. Not sleeping well. Worried about trees falling on the house. My wife and kids were not sleeping. Siskiyou county was declared a state of emergency. trees are falling everywhere. There are 19 trees down on my property alone. There are several that came close. One is four feet from my sons bedroom. Several of my trees totally destroyed my neighbors fence. Some of my neighbors houses were struck by trees and one came down on a powerline in the driveway. Chaos. Power has been out for 4 days and it has been snowing for 7. Everything is closed including the gym. So, everyone have a great weekend. I will be blowing snow.

-----

Jeff

2010-01-24 12:41 PM

Master
Montgomery, Tx
Straydog- keep good thoughts in your mind.  Sorry to hear of the troubles.

Dang ritter I need some training like that.
I just got back from and nice 17.5 mile ride.  I am happy to say I have not lost much since I last rode in Novemebr.  I am thinking that means I did not have much to lose.  I made an adjustment on my seat a few days leading to my last race and my back hurt right off, and I did not avg what I did in the last few long training sessions.  I moved my seat back and I am happy to say I did not have any tightness during my hour ride today. 

Ritter you job is to make sure I smash Ironstar this year.  Last year I was 37/3:00/2:06.  I want a much faster ride this year.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triritter/William Ritter "Rock Out in 2010" CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 17