BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dexter and Marmadaddy's Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2010-01-10 10:13 AM
in reply to: #2577385

Subject: RE: Dexter and Marmadaddy's Group: CLOSED
I tipped the scales at 270 yesterday morning - that is down 4 lbs for the week.  I did not eat well yesterday -- I am so weak!

Thursday is my planned rest day -- I have class from 4 - 10 on Thursdays, so I leave work early and get home late.  It works out nicely to not train on Thurs.  I did not have time to drink water and eat properly at work on Fri - really crazy day.  I got home late and just vegged out with wife and kids.

Going to lift here in a few minutes and run later this afternoon after it warms up a little more.  Planning on sticking with the 2 miles for at least another week and then will add some more distance.  I think ideally I would stay at covering 2 miles until I can jog the whole distance, follow that up with working on cutting time and when I can cover 2 miles at 10 min/mi pace, then slow it down again and add distance working up to the 5k.  But my race is in a month, so I feel like I need to add the distance sooner.  This race in Feb is to simply motivate me to keep training -- my goal will be to finish.  I would really like to be able to jog the whole thing, but bare minumum my goal is to at least be able to do run 10min walk 2min for the entire dist and be done is less than 36 mins.

Overall I had an OK first week on the plan, but I can do better.

Thanks to everyone posting inspires for me.  My time is very limited that I devote to posting.  I started back to grad school (it seems I spend every waking moment reading and/or writing) and then on top of my job I stay busy.  I appreciate the encouragement and I am sorry I don't reciprocate as much.  I am in a place where I am trying really hard to concentrate on getting my training in.  Right now that has consisted of running, lifting and various calistenic exercises -- but at least I am moving.

I hope everyone has a great day and great week.

Thanks

2010-01-10 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2605840

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
FBTrin - 2010-01-10 10:13 AM But my race is in a month, so I feel like I need to add the distance sooner.  This race in Feb is to simply motivate me to keep training -- my goal will be to finish. 

Jon,

Read the passage from your post.  Read it a couple of times.

What you DO NOT want to do is add mileage and sustain an injury or get so sore you don't want to work out anymore.  "My goal will be to finish."  "This race in Feb is to simply motivate me and keep training."  Those are excellent goals.  Be sure to keep them in mind, especially this early in the game.  Go with the 10% rule.  You can probably safely increase your mileage by 10% every week.  More than that is asking for trouble.

You're doing GREAT!  Down 4 lbs.  Perfect and healthy.  Good job.

2010-01-10 11:59 AM
in reply to: #2605865

User image

Regular
Hertford,Hertfordshire
had my weigh in yesterday. also down 4lbs on previous week. no major dieting as of yet, just ensuring i take brekfast and eat better, having fruit as an evening snack instead of sweet stuff. my down fall is sugary items. i luuuuuvvvvvvv chocolate and Haribo! I can take or leave alcohol but put a bar of choc in front of me and it will swiftly disappear.

anyway 4lb. good start for the stone in a month
2010-01-10 5:04 PM
in reply to: #2605840

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
FBTrin - 2010-01-10 10:13 AM
Thanks to everyone posting inspires for me.  My time is very limited that I devote to posting.  I started back to grad school (it seems I spend every waking moment reading and/or writing) and then on top of my job I stay busy.  I appreciate the encouragement and I am sorry I don't reciprocate as much.  I am in a place where I am trying really hard to concentrate on getting my training in.  Right now that has consisted of running, lifting and various calistenic exercises -- but at least I am moving.

Thanks

I'm right there with you. Sometimes it IS hard to get computer time in to inspire everyone and post as well. We all have jobs, family responsibilties and loved ones who support us in all that we do and we owe it to them too to make them a priority.

I hope we all understand that...in fact, I know we do and we will continue to support each other and know that we are all here together in spirit.

Same for me...if I don't respond timely, please know I am thinking of all of you!

Hey...everyone is doing great on the weightloss front too!! Go Team!!!!!

2010-01-10 5:08 PM
in reply to: #2605971

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
MAC36 - 2010-01-10 11:59 AM had my weigh in yesterday. also down 4lbs on previous week. no major dieting as of yet, just ensuring i take brekfast and eat better, having fruit as an evening snack instead of sweet stuff. my down fall is sugary items. i luuuuuvvvvvvv chocolate and Haribo! I can take or leave alcohol but put a bar of choc in front of me and it will swiftly disappear.

I LOVE sweets as well. My downfall and as a diabetic, even worse.

Now that I'm this paleo diet, or trying to eat more like paleo, no sugar is hard.

I'm just like you in terms of alcohol or chocolate..give me the chocolate!!! And I love Haribo.....what else do they make there? Here it's gummi bears and other gummi products. I also used to live in Singapore...so I might be familiar with a lot of the British products.

I know this is off the topic, but growing up, my favorite author was Enid Blyton and The Famous Five books....that's where I got hooked on hardboiled eggs the kids used to take on picnics and I always wondered what marzipan was...until of course I bought some of my own as an adult. I still love hardboiled eggs...marzipan....not so much!!
2010-01-10 5:34 PM
in reply to: #2606306

User image

Regular
Hertford,Hertfordshire
zeefraugtries - 2010-01-10 11:04 PM
FBTrin - 2010-01-10 10:13 AM

Thanks

I'm right there with you. Sometimes it IS hard to get computer time in to inspire everyone and post as well. We all have jobs, family responsibilties and loved ones who support us in all that we do and we owe it to them too to make them a priority.

I hope we all understand that...in fact, I know we do and we will continue to support each other and know that we are all here together in spirit.

Same for me...if I don't respond timely, please know I am thinking of all of you!

Hey...everyone is doing great on the weightloss front too!! Go Team!!!!!

Marzipan sucks big time. Really dont like it. On the Haribo front we have cola bottles, tangtastics ( slightly sour, my favourites , strawberries, starmix which have mini fried eggs, love hearts and so on in them , they do jelly beans  and numerous others. luv em.

Famous five are classic books, they are a staple of learning to read over here. Of course great recent series was the Harry potter books. Great escapism

Edited by MAC36 2010-01-10 5:35 PM

2010-01-10 5:37 PM

User image

Regular
Hertford,Hertfordshire
Entry from todays log

motto : train when I can as hard as I can

I make no apologies for the following entry as I am stoked this evening following my best run to date
one of my goals was to complete a 5km by the end of January. before i go into tonights run a bit of pre info...

I went to a new Tri store that has opened in my home town on saturday. It only opens part time hours as the guys have other jobs. Unusual for the store to open in my town as it is a small 20,000 population max. I had a good chat with the guys in there and they told me about a saturday run club they have where they plan to do an open 5km once a month for anyone to come to. First one being next weekend. Have made a note to do the one in early feb to give myself time to prep 

while there and at this point gents no laughing, I bought some running tights as I had been running in shorts till now but it has been way to cold recently.

Today took the girls sledging again with lots of Dad pulling them up hills as they had tired legs!!! dinner etc. always planned to do a run tonight.
so at 9:30 went out (yes in new tights)in sleet with intention of doing first 5km run longest up to now 4km

Dont know what the combination was but I completed a 6.7km run with no stops i which is also a first in a little over 40 minutes. I just kept going, I felt like Forrest Gump ( was on tv today). I was plodding along thinking "hey this is good tonight why why why why". I had opportunities to cut it short but once i was into it i just carried it on. The final Km was tough. The upper outside left quad became very tight and stiff, but the breathing was still good. Finish line came at the right time mind.

i knowits no marathon or anything but it is a milestone for some one that up to now hated running. Has my mindset changes on one run, not yet but its not viewing the trek as such a chore. I'm sure next run will be a let down but thats not until wednesday night. Tomorrow is rest day as have the 18 hour work round trip to Scotland and back (Yay!!) then swimming on tuesday.

Anyway enough rambling. Im off to watch the Cardinals v Packers game that I have recording at present. Go Cardinals!! ( Life long Rams fan so have a love of warner and what he did for us)

till tomorrow
2010-01-10 6:56 PM

User image

Chelsea, MI
Wow!! Congratulations! What a terrific run, and good for you for getting out there in the sleet. Sounds like you got your reward and then some.

Great job.
2010-01-10 7:41 PM

Nice run David!  That is awesome!
2010-01-10 8:24 PM
in reply to: #2606354

User image

Veteran
MAC36 - 2010-01-10 6:37 PMEntry from todays log

motto : train when I can as hard as I can

I make no apologies for the following entry as I am stoked this evening following my best run to date
one of my goals was to complete a 5km by the end of January. before i go into tonights run a bit of pre info...

I went to a new Tri store that has opened in my home town on saturday. It only opens part time hours as the guys have other jobs. Unusual for the store to open in my town as it is a small 20,000 population max. I had a good chat with the guys in there and they told me about a saturday run club they have where they plan to do an open 5km once a month for anyone to come to. First one being next weekend. Have made a note to do the one in early feb to give myself time to prep 

while there and at this point gents no laughing, I bought some running tights as I had been running in shorts till now but it has been way to cold recently.

Today took the girls sledging again with lots of Dad pulling them up hills as they had tired legs!!! dinner etc. always planned to do a run tonight.
so at 9:30 went out (yes in new tights)in sleet with intention of doing first 5km run longest up to now 4km

Dont know what the combination was but I completed a 6.7km run with no stops i which is also a first in a little over 40 minutes. I just kept going, I felt like Forrest Gump ( was on tv today). I was plodding along thinking "hey this is good tonight why why why why". I had opportunities to cut it short but once i was into it i just carried it on. The final Km was tough. The upper outside left quad became very tight and stiff, but the breathing was still good. Finish line came at the right time mind.

i knowits no marathon or anything but it is a milestone for some one that up to now hated running. Has my mindset changes on one run, not yet but its not viewing the trek as such a chore. I'm sure next run will be a let down but thats not until wednesday night. Tomorrow is rest day as have the 18 hour work round trip to Scotland and back (Yay!!) then swimming on tuesday.

Anyway enough rambling. Im off to watch the Cardinals v Packers game that I have recording at present. Go Cardinals!!( Life long Rams fan so have a love of warner and what he did for us)

till tomorrow
Great run...dont worry about the tights as you call them I have what you might call tight fitting running pants. Got them for christmas with the intention or running and biking in the cold. I love them, ran in them today. It is great when a run feels good, like you could run forever, makes you come back for more.. Have a good week

Edited by bfwhitt 2010-01-10 8:25 PM
2010-01-10 9:07 PM

User image

I  feel like i dropped more inches than pounds. 239 this morning. I want to run, bike, and swim monday.

2010-01-10 11:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
Fantastic run David.  Congrats!  I've run and biked in "tights" for years.  They're great in cold weather.

You're fortunate to have a tri shop with a population of 20k, even if it is only part time.  Keep it up!
2010-01-10 11:23 PM
in reply to: #2606696

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
rzinky - 2010-01-10 9:07 PM I  feel like i dropped more inches than pounds. 239 this morning. I want to run, bike, and swim monday.

Great job Jeff!!
2010-01-11 11:21 AM
in reply to: #2605971

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
MAC36 - 2010-01-10 10:59 AM had my weigh in yesterday. also down 4lbs on previous week. no major dieting as of yet, just ensuring i take brekfast and eat better, having fruit as an evening snack instead of sweet stuff. my down fall is sugary items. i luuuuuvvvvvvv chocolate and Haribo! I can take or leave alcohol but put a bar of choc in front of me and it will swiftly disappear.

I am down 3 lbs. for the week. considering the cheats...better than I expected. Sounds like everyone on the weight challenge is doing well. not sure. but it seems from the posts that we are all trending downward. Checking out your logs from the weekend and it looks like everyone had a good one. Happy Monday all.
2010-01-11 12:17 PM

User image

Regular
Hertford,Hertfordshire
Hey all. How is everyone today. Must be lunch time around now for most. Have we all avoided the office post weekend cake. its 18:20 just waiting on return flight home. Long day with little sleep last night due to watching the Cardinals OT victory.anyone got training planned today or is it a rest day (mainly due to that horrible thing that monday brings....WORK)
2010-01-11 2:12 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Great job Mac.  I have loose tights but always need to stay up with or ahead as he wears skin tight tights. Yikes. 

2010-01-11 2:16 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Everybody did great with the weight loss this week except MIKE and DEXTER.  Mike gained a 1/2 pound so I'm not sure I can be a winer without any loss

Good Job Crew,  Stop over to let Jogo we are thinking of her on this difficult day for a parent. 
2010-01-11 8:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Just wanted to stop by and say how proud I am of everyone this week! You guys killed on the weightloss challenge.

I know this is Week #2 and I know it's going to be harder, but I know we can all do it. I, myself, am worried about not doing as well this week, but if we just take it day by day, then we can work together to make sure we stick to it. Besides, we all know (if you watch Biggest Loser!!), there are some weeks where you can work out and eat right and still see not as good of a weight loss because of your body adapting...who knows of this is really true, but heck...I'll take it!!!

Sending Jogo and Meg good thoughts today!!

2010-01-11 9:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Great job on the weight loss alll...very inspiring keep up the great work.
2010-01-12 9:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
If anyone is interested, find me on Facebook.  Sometimes it's a little hard to share information here where every search engine spider in the world has access.  Drop me a PM if you have trouble finding me there.

2010-01-12 7:38 PM
in reply to: #2609390

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
snaproll - 2010-01-12 9:32 AM If anyone is interested, find me on Facebook.  Sometimes it's a little hard to share information here where every search engine spider in the world has access.  Drop me a PM if you have trouble finding me there.

I'm on Facebook too...but you do have to PM me though. Would love some BT friends there!

Hope everyone is doing well. I'm watching American Idol and Biggest Loser tonight!!

2010-01-12 8:42 PM

Ok everybody I have to share something.  My job has been very very stressful this year.  Couple that with starting a doctoral program and I have thought about changing both many times.  I have let these get in the way of my health and nutrition as I was headed in the right direction15 - 18 months ago.

I have worked hard to being committed to exercising and eating better -- I have been honest in my training and nutrition logs, so you can see I am doing better even though not there all the way.

I took yesterday off since my legs hurt so bad after running Sunday. The went to martial arts class tonigh.   Man do I feel good!  The exercises we do are pretty intense and I get to train with a couple of other big guys and we really beat on each other.  I was able to hang in with the exercises, kick and punch things and I feel great!  I am not quit as far gone as I thought and working off some that stress thru exercise and beating on things is awesome. Plus I have lost a couple of pounds already this week.  I know this wt will/can/does fluctuate from day to day and the only real measure will be the same this weekend as last weekend, but the scales read 268 when I got home just now -- I usually wake up lighter in the morning than at night!

Isn't it great to feel pumped every once in a while!  The best part is the confidence I have right now.  I am really looking forward to running tomorrow after work.

Thanks for reading.  I have really appreciated the positive support from this group which has drawn me out a little as well as provided some friendly accountability.  Thanks.
2010-01-13 6:17 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Thank you, thank you, thank you, to all of you for your support and well wishes these past few days. My daughter is doing well.  In pain, but I'm sure her own bed felt good last night.  Neither of us got any sleep the night of the surgery.  She was up every hour to the bathroom or with the nurses coming in. I work at the hospital she had her surgery at so showered in her room and went off for a fun filled day of stress.  I had a very bad meeting at 3pm and then a meeting with my director after that.  No rest for the wicked, my mother would always say. By the time we got home at 7pm, I was done.  Made sandwiches, poured wine for me, curled up to watch American Idol with my child.  I felt like I had worked a 36 hour shift.  I remember that no-sleep feeling of midnights and I hate it.  I was completely out of sorts to my DH.  Good thing he knew to just leave me alone and work in his office. 

We are turning into an incredible group and I feel so lucky to be part of this team.  We are a team, you know, all working for a common goal to see each other succeed.  Triathlons are an individual sport when we are doing them but the hard work to keep on track is a lot easier with a supportive group. 

FB-I, too, have a very stressful job and I have been at this for 13 months now. I took up running 15 years ago so that I could pound the pavement and pump my fists in the air when I ran to relieve stress.  I know I look funny sometimes but that is why I run a lot in the dark.  I can usually  keep that up for a mile and then I settle in to a relaxing run.  We need the outlet.  It is good to get frustrations out.   My former job was the reason I trained for a marathon.  It wasn't for me or any goal I had, I just was running a lot, any chance I got, and that gave me an excuse for having to run.  Nothing could get in the way of my committment to training (or I guilted my family into feeling like they weren't supporting my endeavor). 

I am on facebook and would love to have you guys as friends. 

Have a great day! 

2010-01-13 6:36 AM
in reply to: #2610770

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
FBTrin - 2010-01-12 8:42 PM....
Isn't it great to feel pumped every once in a while!  The best part is the confidence I have right now.  I am really looking forward to running tomorrow after work.

Thanks for reading.  I have really appreciated the positive support from this group which has drawn me out a little as well as provided some friendly accountability.  Thanks.

And that, my friends, is what this is all about.  Nice work Jon!
2010-01-13 8:58 AM

Jo -- glad to hear your daughter is doing better.  Praying for better days to come for you and your daughter's full recovery soon!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dexter and Marmadaddy's Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 19