BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2010-02-11 3:49 PM
in reply to: #2663994

New user

Subject: RE: Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED
Avoneer - 2010-02-09 2:37 PM

Found a bit of inspiration for you all (if you haven't seen it already):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCYCPaDXT90&feature=PlayList&p=31D6FC8D61AF50CE&index=2

And the one that made me start training - Team Hoyt -  warning it's very powerful, emotional and humbling (and tearful, even for us blokes):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flRvsO8m_KI

Pat...

Thanks for the link Pat!  Just an incredible story! 

2010-02-11 8:57 PM
in reply to: #2663994

User image

Regular
Avoneer - 2010-02-09 3:37 PM

Found a bit of inspiration for you all (if you haven't seen it already):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCYCPaDXT90&feature=PlayList&p=31D6FC8D61AF50CE&index=2

And the one that made me start training - Team Hoyt -  warning it's very powerful, emotional and humbling (and tearful, even for us blokes):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flRvsO8m_KI

Pat...

Thanks for sharing Pat. It was inspirational and helped me get up this morning and tackle the swim with the right attitude. I thought if that man can swim with his son on an inflatable boat, I can figure out a way to tackle the freestyle.Denise
2010-02-12 11:35 AM
in reply to: #2583522

New user

Yeah - I know what you mean.

Made me HTFU and get on with things!

Pat...

2010-02-14 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2670008

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
The Hoyt team is a great story - I read the RR on it too and it was really cool - gives me goosebumps.

Hope everyone's training is going well. I raced a Spash N Dash Race this morning and dropped quite a bit of time off from the one I raced last month - while I would like to say that this is due to my enhanced athletic performance (and some of it was the training) I know that I was able to drop a couple of minutes because I didn't have to stop and use the restroom at transition this time My time for the 1000 yard swim, transition and 5K run was 57:21 last month and today it was 50:53, I know I cut a minute and a half off of the swim so that was really exciting and I think my run time was a bit faster then last time too - despite the fact that they changed the run course to include a nasty hill that we had to run up twice Anyway, I was excited and wanted to share. Hope you all are enjoying the weekend.
2010-02-14 12:59 PM
in reply to: #2672336

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
ddiamond - 2010-02-14 1:12 PM The Hoyt team is a great story - I read the RR on it too and it was really cool - gives me goosebumps.

Hope everyone's training is going well. I raced a Spash N Dash Race this morning and dropped quite a bit of time off from the one I raced last month - while I would like to say that this is due to my enhanced athletic performance (and some of it was the training) I know that I was able to drop a couple of minutes because I didn't have to stop and use the restroom at transition this time My time for the 1000 yard swim, transition and 5K run was 57:21 last month and today it was 50:53, I know I cut a minute and a half off of the swim so that was really exciting and I think my run time was a bit faster then last time too - despite the fact that they changed the run course to include a nasty hill that we had to run up twice Anyway, I was excited and wanted to share. Hope you all are enjoying the weekend.

Congratulations!! That is awesome! That's a huge amount of time to drop in one month!
2010-02-14 1:03 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Tip of the day, Feb. 14

OK, I'm going to talk a little about pedal cadence on the bike.
If you have a fancy bike computer, you will be able to see your cadence, or RPMs of the pedals.
If you don't, you can count how many times one foot hits the bottom of the pedal stroke in 15 seconds, then multiply by 4 to see how many times per minute.

Basically, you want to increase your cadence and try to train, at least some days, in a range that feels uncomfortable. You will probably have to shift to an easier gear to accomplish this.

The theory here is that, while pedaling faster makes your heart rate go up, it also lets you go a decent speed in an easier gear, which spares your legs for the run. If you are pushing a hard gear, pedaling slowly, this wears the muscles in your legs, which will not thank you when you head out on the run.

If you have a cadence sensor, try to keep it above 85 or 90. This is actually really challenging for me. My default rate is about 81. If I am watching a movie on the trainer, this is what I end up doing unless I keep checking and making myself pay attention.

Now obviously don't keep your cadence that high if you are doing a strength/hill workout, where you are either riding indoors against harder resistance, or you are riding outside on big hills.

2010-02-14 1:04 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Bonus tip (since I skipped some days this week)

If you are working out and a question floats into your mind, write it down and then come search the Forums on here. Get to know the search feature and take time to click different settings on it, and you can find the answer to almost any question!
2010-02-14 1:08 PM

New user

Yeah - well done from me as well - anything quicker than last time means you're doing something right/well - keep it up.

Really should get something entered soon myself, but I'm still a bit wary as last time I paid and signed up for a half marathon and some 10k's, it was like a puncture fairy and I tore my achilles and got ITB (not the IT Bowel thing by the way) all at the same time.

I'm back up to nearly 40 minutes running almost pain free now and the cycling and swimming is all coming together.

Pat...

2010-02-14 5:22 PM

New user

ddiamond - 2010-02-14 12:12 PM The Hoyt team is a great story - I read the RR on it too and it was really cool - gives me goosebumps.

Way to go DJ! Awesome job shaving ouff almost 7minutes! Congrats!
2010-02-15 9:06 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Tip of the day, Feb. 15

Put stuff that goes together, together.

Just today I was TOTALLY saved because I had stuffed my running gloves into my running jacket pocket and left them there. I had a quick interval run set to do, and wanted to slip it in after swimming today. I took my warm running clothes but didn't specifically grab gloves. I was very relieved to see them with the jacket.

Moral: If you have two items or more that you only ever use TOGETHER (balaclava and gloves for instance) just clip them together or keep them together in a bag. Then you have one less thing you have to think of.

I have the day off for Pres' Day, so I'm going to go with my dh and we are going to spin class together at the Y! Working out together! What a concept!
2010-02-15 6:15 PM

User image

Regular
ddiamond - 2010-02-14 1:12 PM I raced a Spash N Dash Race this morning and dropped quite a bit of time off from the one I raced last month - while I would like to say that this is due to my enhanced athletic performance (and some of it was the training) I know that I was able to drop a couple of minutes because I didn't have to stop and use the restroom at transition this time My time for the 1000 yard swim, transition and 5K run was 57:21 last month and today it was 50:53, I know I cut a minute and a half off of the swim so that was really exciting and I think my run time was a bit faster then last time too - despite the fact that they changed the run course to include a nasty hill that we had to run up twice Anyway, I was excited and wanted to share. Hope you all are enjoying the weekend.
Congratulations! Way to go!

2010-02-15 6:17 PM
in reply to: #2673320

User image

Regular
ahohl - 2010-02-15 10:06 AMMoral: If you have two items or more that you only ever use TOGETHER (balaclava and gloves for instance) just clip them together or keep them together in a bag. Then you have one less thing you have to think of.Like bike shoes and bikes? I learned this the hard way :-)
2010-02-17 3:24 AM

Katy
Hey all! 
It sounds like everyone is doing well but me. I've had a month of mayhem. I took on caring for the 4 boys of a friend for 3 weeks; so I had in years 18,15,12,12,10,9 all boys!!! I did lose about 10 pounds, just because I couldn't get to the food before it was gone!  Then,when I wasn't working, I was with this same friend while her husband was losing his fight with pancreatic, liver and lung cancer at age 46.  This is all over now and I am somewhat back to normal, just very moved that I need to enjoy my life and live every day to its fullest. 
"It's not the years in your life, but the life in your years." was one of the last things that my friend's husband said to me.  Now that is motivation!!!
I start my week off work today and have a bike workout schedule in for this afternoon!!!
Cat
2010-02-17 8:54 AM

New user

That's so sad Cat but good for you for being there and helping out.

Makes my night of being sick pail into insignificance.

Make sure you train doubbly hard now.

Pat...

2010-02-17 12:29 PM
in reply to: #2676760

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
catroberts - 2010-02-17 4:24 AM Hey all! 
It sounds like everyone is doing well but me. I've had a month of mayhem. I took on caring for the 4 boys of a friend for 3 weeks; so I had in years 18,15,12,12,10,9 all boys!!! I did lose about 10 pounds, just because I couldn't get to the food before it was gone!  Then,when I wasn't working, I was with this same friend while her husband was losing his fight with pancreatic, liver and lung cancer at age 46.  This is all over now and I am somewhat back to normal, just very moved that I need to enjoy my life and live every day to its fullest. 
"It's not the years in your life, but the life in your years." was one of the last things that my friend's husband said to me.  Now that is motivation!!!
I start my week off work today and have a bike workout schedule in for this afternoon!!!
Cat

Wow Cat...that is a lot to take on, your friend is very lucky to have someone like you and what a statement from your friend's husband - even in the face of death a true optimist. Good luck with your bike this afternoon, enjoy it.

Pat - hope you are feeling better and thanks to all of you for the congrats on the last race.
2010-02-18 1:05 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Wow Cat. You are a very generous soul to take on her boys like that!
So sorry about your friend.

That is some great inspiration, though - thanks for sharing!

2010-02-18 1:08 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Didn't get up early enough today. Ugh!

I had an 8 a.m. meeting for which I needed about 15-20 minutes of prep time. I really needed to get to my office at 7:25 or so to give the computer enough time to fire up, etc.

I have a 30 minute run today. That's it. No problem.
I got up at 6, left the house (I thought) at 6:15 so I could run at the Y from 6:30 to 7.
Well something happened between having to open a new bag of dog food, scrape the truck windshield, etc. Anyway, I got to the Y at 6:50!!! Gah!  So all I could do was shower there, change into my dress clothes and go to work. What a let down! Our roads are extremely slushy and snowy, so I can't run outside tonight. I might try to leave work early and stop by the Y. Dh has class and I need to be home at 4:45, and then I'll be alone with the kids and can't run.  We have already used up our time at the Child Watch today, so I can't take them to the Y with me.
Plus there is an endurance sports expo tonight the kids and I are going to!
2010-02-18 9:06 PM
in reply to: #2676760

User image

Regular
catroberts - 2010-02-17 4:24 AMHey all! 
Cat
Cat, I hope that when I'm in trouble I'll have friends like you. Experiences like that put in all in perspective.
2010-02-18 9:09 PM
in reply to: #2672397

User image

Regular
ahohl - 2010-02-14 2:03 PMTip of the day, Feb. 14

OK, I'm going to talk a little about pedal cadence on the bike.
If you have a fancy bike computer, you will be able to see your cadence, or RPMs of the pedals.
If you don't, you can count how many times one foot hits the bottom of the pedal stroke in 15 seconds, then multiply by 4 to see how many times per minute.

Basically, you want to increase your cadence and try to train, at least some days, in a range that feels uncomfortable. You will probably have to shift to an easier gear to accomplish this.

The theory here is that, while pedaling faster makes your heart rate go up, it also lets you go a decent speed in an easier gear, which spares your legs for the run. If you are pushing a hard gear, pedaling slowly, this wears the muscles in your legs, which will not thank you when you head out on the run.

If you have a cadence sensor, try to keep it above 85 or 90. This is actually really challenging for me. My default rate is about 81. If I am watching a movie on the trainer, this is what I end up doing unless I keep checking and making myself pay attention.

Now obviously don't keep your cadence that high if you are doing a strength/hill workout, where you are either riding indoors against harder resistance, or you are riding outside on big hills.
Alice, I tried so hard today to keep my cadence above 85. I lasted the first 15 minutes but had to slow down the last minutes so that I wouldn't peter-out on the run following my bike session. My average cadence was 79.
2010-02-19 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2680908

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Denise - Nice job!
It is really hard. It's taken me a long time. When I first starting watching it, I think I was in the low 70s.

There is one workout you can do that is 30 minutes, and you either go 90, or you stop.  So you go at 90 until you can't go anymore, then you stop and rest. It kind of trains your brain to get used to the higher cadence, even if you can't keep at it for the whole workout.
2010-02-20 6:38 AM

New user

I daren't tri (no pun intended) a spinning class - I'd probably fall off or have a heart attack after 5 minutes!

Still feeling rough and now have a really bad cough - will rest until Monday and see how I feel then - not done or felt like doing anything since last Tuesday Cry

Did some retail therapy though and bough a tri watch (not rich enough for a GPS one yet though) but it does do intervals and beeps at the end of each one and some elastic laces for my trainers.

And just to top things off, my 4 year old has got real bad chicken pox and isn't sleeping very well at all - all good fun.

Pat...

Edited by Avoneer 2010-02-20 6:39 AM

2010-02-21 5:14 PM

New user

Where is every one - I'm getting lonely here?????

Anyway, still really tired and don't feel like doing anything, but managed to drag the kids around on sledges today for 30 minutes and then managed a 30 minute run this evening in the snow.

Back to work tomorrow after a week off sick - that'll be fun - we seem to work by email at our place and I'll no doubt spend the morning doing nothing but reading and deleting hundreds of the damn things.

Hopefully back to training properly tomorrow.

Pat...

2010-02-22 9:36 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Hi all!
Sorry I wasn't on over the weekend. Dh was gone a lot for school, and I can't get on the computer much when I'm with the kids solo.

I managed to do my trainer ride BEFORE everyone woke up Sunday again (my new resolution) and the weekend went much smoother.

I hurt my foot last week coming back from an endurance sports expo downtown (go figure). It happened when I was standing on the edge of a snow bank lifting my son into his car seat and the snow gave way under my foot. I couldn't grab onto anything because I was holding Michael, and the way I was standing, there was nowhere to move my feet to regain balance. It's not bad, but I skipped my Thursday and Saturday runs. It's kind of swollen.  This is the time of year it's OK to get hurt though. Plenty of time. I am planning to run and swim in Cali later this week. I'll be in Pasadena Tuesday through Thursday, and I'm too cheap to pay for hotel Internet, so I might just not even take the computer. There's a library nearby. I'll see how it works out, but I'm not abandoning you!

2010-02-22 9:38 AM
in reply to: #2683170

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Avoneer - 2010-02-20 7:38 AM

I daren't tri (no pun intended) a spinning class - I'd probably fall off or have a heart attack after 5 minutes!

Spinning class is just riding stationary bikes in a group, with some music and an instructor. Each person controls the tension on the wheel, so you can go at your own pace. You should try it! It's fun! 

Sorry to hear about the sickness and the chicken pox! My kids all got vaccinated for chicken pox. Not yours?
2010-02-22 12:12 PM

New user

Hi Alice,

They don't generally vaccinate for pox over here (UK).

At least the scratching and sleepness nights have stopped and she's on the mend.

1st day back at work today and it was a long day - might do a gentle 10 minute run later and see how it goes.

Thinking about doing a Duathlon in April, but still a bit worried my ITB will flare up a week before or something - it is at my favourite race track (I have a race/track Miata car) and it's really appealing to me to run round it once, cycle 4 times and then one more run.

Anyone done a Duathlon?

Pat...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12