BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 105

2010-04-08 10:11 PM
in reply to: #2778911

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!!
awesome wheels, and for hte price even better.

is that the price for a new set now?

2010-04-08 10:21 PM
in reply to: #2770346

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Sorry so late on the bio.  I will catch up on everyone in the morning!

NAME: Jonathan 

STORY:   I'm currently living/working as a structural engineer for the department of defense in Portsmouth, NH.  My life is pretty consistent, which lends to a fairly regimented training routine.  I have been following triathlon for as long as I can remember and only last year was I able to jump into the sport consistently.  So I'm still a newbie for sure.  I'll have lots to add from my research, but even more to learn. I am an avid participant of this forum and look forward to the season!

FAMILY STATUS: Ginormous family, 5 siblings, and currently live with my wonderful g/f that also races triathlons. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm in the 17th of a 36 week training program.  This is supposed to consist of about 14 hours a week at this point, but have taken a lot off my run as I am still working into it...my run "assessment" is tomorrow.  I'll explain later. 

2010 RACES: Sprint distance in June, Olympic in July, HIM in August and another sprint in September (so far).  I want to throw an aqua bike and a century ride in there too. 

WEIGHTLOSS: Not really sure.  I'm sitting on 6'3" and 194ish and could probably take 5-10 off and really slim down, but it's not my goal at this point. 
2010-04-08 10:21 PM

User image

Chicago
Yeah straight off of the planet x website. Something like 150 off. Its just the basic wheel though. I havent heard too much about their wheels.
2010-04-08 10:27 PM
in reply to: #2778935

User image

Champion
they are pretty solid wheels,

I rode one of their bikes for a year and loved it as well, some great quality products all around for good prices.
2010-04-08 10:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Wow....gone for a day and I had to read 4 pages worth......most active mentor group I've ever been apart of...I like it!

What would you suggest as a tempo run for a complete beginner. Running is NOT my forte. I just came off of half marathon training (very beginner program to get me through a half) and I just did V02 testing last week and I was advised to do min 3 runs. 1 LSR, 1 shorter steady state run, 1 tempo run. I have the specific HR range for tempo runs, but what amount of time or mileage in that HR range? I've never trained w/HR before so this is all new to me.
2010-04-08 11:08 PM
in reply to: #2778866

Expert
Ann Arbor
newbz - 2010-04-08 10:24 PM
carlwithac - 2010-04-08 8:17 PM My achilies(about 3-4 inches above my ankle) has been sore lately. It has been getting sore after my runs lately. It first got sore about 2 weeks ago when I went on a run and really tried to focus on a midfoot/forefoot strike. That probably wasn't the best idea for an hour run. I didn't think anything of it until now. Since I'm tapering, I have done some more intense sessions lately which seems to cause a little soreness. I think the fact that I'm consciously trying to not heel strike has played a part too. It never worried me because it was only a little sore and I assumed it would just go away over time. I just rubbed then iced it for 15mins and it feels a lot better. I think I am going to really focus on warming up properly for my runs and then maybe stretching for a few minutes after. I know that I haven't been running any sort of high volume but I can't afford to risk any injury with all the training I want to do this summer.
i've been dealing with a bit of this for about a month now. proper warm up, NOT forefoot striking, and icing have kept it at bay/only notice in the mornings right now. keep an eye on it and don't do anything stupid.

I got a little carried away trying to forefoot strike.  Currently I have only dialed back my heel strike so that it isn't as profound.  I also feel it in the mornings primarily when I hop down from my top bunk. 

2010-04-08 11:12 PM
in reply to: #2778968

Expert
Ann Arbor
tnguyen1 - 2010-04-08 11:44 PM Wow....gone for a day and I had to read 4 pages worth......most active mentor group I've ever been apart of...I like it!

What would you suggest as a tempo run for a complete beginner. Running is NOT my forte. I just came off of half marathon training (very beginner program to get me through a half) and I just did V02 testing last week and I was advised to do min 3 runs. 1 LSR, 1 shorter steady state run, 1 tempo run. I have the specific HR range for tempo runs, but what amount of time or mileage in that HR range? I've never trained w/HR before so this is all new to me.

Depending on what style of zones you determined(Friel's zones aren't the same as all other zones), I have heard people describe a "tempo" pace as anywhere from Z3 to Z4, or just under LT.  I would also like to hear other people's definition of "tempo"
2010-04-08 11:18 PM
in reply to: #2778968

User image

Champion
tnguyen1 - 2010-04-08 9:44 PM

Wow....gone for a day and I had to read 4 pages worth......most active mentor group I've ever been apart of...I like it!

What would you suggest as a tempo run for a complete beginner. Running is NOT my forte. I just came off of half marathon training (very beginner program to get me through a half) and I just did V02 testing last week and I was advised to do min 3 runs. 1 LSR, 1 shorter steady state run, 1 tempo run. I have the specific HR range for tempo runs, but what amount of time or mileage in that HR range? I've never trained w/HR before so this is all new to me.

To answer this, (carl will hit yours next), how much are you currently running, and waht does/has mileage look like over the past 2-3 weeks?

If running if not your strength, i would HIGHLY recommend against having a hard run on only 3 runs per week. let me know on the mileage though and i'll go a bit more in depth.

carl, zone wise i stick with coggans (and many others) use of Zn1-5

1= recovery/warmup/active rest
2= steady endurance pace
3= tempo (roughly half marathon pace running/HIM bike pace)
4= threshold (all out hour pace in either)
5= 20min power on the bike/5k pace running/vo2 max (this one changes up a bit more between people and their def of it).
2010-04-08 11:24 PM

User image

With regard to bike mechanics, I use this site a lot: http://bicycletutor.com/ It has lots of clear videos. I highly recommend it.

With regard to tempo runs: since I am not using HR (or pace for that matter) anymore, I try to run at a tempo at which I can run for 1 hour. I do it once a week, duration about 25-35 minutes except warm-up and cool-down. But I started tempo runs after slowly building my mileage and always running slow in this phase. So, if you are still building up your mileage you may be better of skipping the tempo runs. At least, this is my take on the matter. 
2010-04-08 11:55 PM
in reply to: #2779011

User image

Champion
RogerWilco - 2010-04-08 10:24 PM

With regard to bike mechanics, I use this site a lot: http://bicycletutor.com/ It has lots of clear videos. I highly recommend it.

With regard to tempo runs: since I am not using HR (or pace for that matter) anymore, I try to run at a tempo at which I can run for 1 hour. I do it once a week, duration about 25-35 minutes except warm-up and cool-down. But I started tempo runs after slowly building my mileage and always running slow in this phase. So, if you are still building up your mileage you may be better of skipping the tempo runs. At least, this is my take on the matter.

yeah exactly, i do not even THINK about adding in tempo runs until i am sitting on 20-25mpw for 3-4 weeks.

and that is the first form of faster running that gets added in outside of races.
2010-04-09 12:46 AM
in reply to: #2779039

User image

newbz - 2010-04-08 7:55 PM
RogerWilco - 2010-04-08 10:24 PM With regard to bike mechanics, I use this site a lot: http://bicycletutor.com/ It has lots of clear videos. I highly recommend it.

yeah exactly, i do not even THINK about adding in tempo runs until i am sitting on 20-25mpw for 3-4 weeks. and that is the first form of faster running that gets added in outside of races.

x3

I think it's been mentioned before in this thread...that for most beginners/intermediate runners...speed comes from building endurance. 

2010-04-09 3:32 AM

User image

Hello group,
what would you say to add each other as friends and check other's logs from time to time, maybe drop an inspire or two?

I was part of a former mentor group which did not work out too well, since our mentor dropped from the site just weeks into the program but we were able to stick together partly because of this "friend" feature and checking our logs.
2010-04-09 6:00 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
About the friends thing......

I "think" I made my training log public.  Hell, I'd love for everyone to tell me what they think of it.  I'm a complete novice/beginner.....with 2-3 sprints on my radar, beginning in June.

jeff
2010-04-09 6:51 AM
in reply to: #2778934

User image

Master
Baltimore
jgerbodegrant - 2010-04-08 11:21 PM Sorry so late on the bio.  I will catch up on everyone in the morning!

NAME: Jonathan 

STORY:   I'm currently living/working as a structural engineer for the department of defense in Portsmouth, NH.  My life is pretty consistent, which lends to a fairly regimented training routine.  I have been following triathlon for as long as I can remember and only last year was I able to jump into the sport consistently.  So I'm still a newbie for sure.  I'll have lots to add from my research, but even more to learn. I am an avid participant of this forum and look forward to the season!

FAMILY STATUS: Ginormous family, 5 siblings, and currently live with my wonderful g/f that also races triathlons. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm in the 17th of a 36 week training program.  This is supposed to consist of about 14 hours a week at this point, but have taken a lot off my run as I am still working into it...my run "assessment" is tomorrow.  I'll explain later. 

2010 RACES: Sprint distance in June, Olympic in July, HIM in August and another sprint in September (so far).  I want to throw an aqua bike and a century ride in there too. 

WEIGHTLOSS: Not really sure.  I'm sitting on 6'3" and 194ish and could probably take 5-10 off and really slim down, but it's not my goal at this point. 

Wicked jealous.  I grew up in Bow, NH but relocated to Baltimore for school and then stayed around to work for the DOD too.  If you've heard of it, I went back home for the Fireman Olympic in Kennebunk, ME last year, it was a good race.  Going back again for the RI 70.3 this year (I really wanted to do the Black Fly "trifecta" you're doing, but had already signed up for RI and its the same weekend, maybe next year).

Anyway, go Sox, go Pats, go Bruins, go Celtics!
2010-04-09 7:42 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Thanks for letting me in David.

I was in Davids group during the spring session and was off the site for one day and the group was full when I tried to get on.  Any way its great to be involved for another session with David.

Me: My Name is Dirk Pauley, I am 40 years old, been married 22 yrs, I have 2 daughters (16 and 14) that keep me with "guns in hand" to fend of the boys.  I work for American Electric Power as Line Crew Supervisor in Ft. Wayne Indiana but grew up in Ohio (for the most part Zanesville) and I have been here since 1987. 

I have problems when I have to miss a day of any kind of training.  I am a dedicated working person that loves to compete and I love the endurance aspects of this sport and running sports.  I enjoy participating in something that requires so much determination and will power to complete.

My Story:
  I started running about 5 years ago because I couldn't carry a basket of laundry up the stairs without getting winded and my cholesterol was kind of high.  Someone at work had been running for a few months and liked it so I thought I would give it a shot.  I started on a treadmill and swore I would never get off of it because "running is too hard on the knees."  After a few months I got talked into a 5k race, ran 1 week outside while on vacation preparing for the race and now can't stand the thought of spending much time on the blasted machine.

Since the early days of running I have run 3 half marathons, 3 four mile races and an assortment of other distances. (Incidentally I thought it was stupid when some friends suggested I run a half mary.  Now I love it and can't think of missing the Indy Mini half every year and the said friends think I am weird now because I can't just run it for fun, I have to compete with myself and PR.)  I also registered for the Marine Corps Marathon and was training up to 11 miles (May '09) when my knee developed yet another tear in the medial meniscus.  This injury took me out of the '09 MCM but I won't give up on the dream to run a full marathon.  I am now registered for the 2010 MCM in October and that is my chief goal for this year.

What brought me to Tri?  After the 2 knee surgeries and the third meniscus tear I have started to concentrate on much more crosstraining activities i.e. cycling and swimming.  These other exercises have re-strengthened my left quad and given much more support and balance to the stabilizing muscles around my knee.  I currently run nearly completely pain free.

I have problems when I have to miss a day of any kind of training.  I am a dedicated working person that loves to compete and I love the endurance aspects of this sport and running sports.  I enjoy participating in something that requires so much determination and will power to complete.

Thank for letting me in, and I'll try to keep up with everyone but I do have a lot of back reading to do just to catch up.

2010-04-09 7:54 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Carl,
I saw you competed in the OSU tri.  I trust that you were wearing the maize and blue???  Or maybe you didn't have a death wish?

GO BLUE!

2010-04-09 8:12 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
2010-04-09 8:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!

some good stuff posted so far. Just so everyone knows, I don't have inet during the day unless I stop in somewhere that has a hot spot, so my posts come earlier in the day or late in the evening. I'll be active posting, just not as much as others.

as for the running - the advice being given is great. I added in 1-2 runs per a week this training plan and have seen my endurance and speed improve over the last three months. Most all of my runs were falling in the range of 9-10:30'/mile, which was slow at times, but definitely helped. I've been able to cut a 1-1:30 off of my 5k time doing this type of run training. No tempo/intervals, just running more through out the week. 25' run, 30'run, 40' run and a 50-60'run has been key for me.

so for those wondering about tempo runs, listen to what is being said, it's not needed to become better at running.

and i'm not a trainer/coach - but i did sleep in my own bed last night

2010-04-09 8:26 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Okay, so I finally had some time to read through the thread...this group is fanfriggintastic.

Looks like we'll have a great season with everyone in here!

Jsiegs - I may actually volunteer down at the RI 70.3.  I wanted to do that race instead of Timberman, but got talked into the hills.  I'm not sure why, I suck at hills!  GO SOX!

Protein/carb/fat talk:  I am trying to split my training up into different sections, foundation/preparation/race.  So ideally I'm going to change what I eat to match my training needs. I say ideally because lets face it, it's hard to watch what you eat that closely.  During the foundation period, I'm trying to keep my carb/protein/fat ratio at around 65/13/22.  So for me at a solid 194 lbs, will be around 500g carbs/110g protein/75-80g fat.  These are calorie percentages.....so my total calorie intake is around 3300 for the day.  When I switch over to the preparation period, my ratios will stay about the same, but calorie intake will need to be increased.  Then during race season you need more carbs/protein versus fat so I will switch my ratios over to 70/14/16.  We'll see how it goes!!

Congrats to all of you who have finished races this year so far!  Basically the snow just melted here so I haven't been racing yet!

I also have lots of great recipes to share, just give me your favorite food and I'll hook you up!  It depends on what you are looking for, so just ask!

Jeff:  Good luck on your 5K tomorrow!  Do a sufficient warm-up....then go out fast and hold on!
2010-04-09 8:29 AM
in reply to: #2779482

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
2010-04-09 8:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Dan, thanks for the list...very helpful.

Thanks everyone on the info on tempo runs. I was averaging 15-20 miles per week (for 2 months) leading up to my half marathon which I completed on 3/14. For the half marathon training I did notice my times dropping signifigantly by just running slowly, and running more. When I mean I was slow....I was SLOW. 13-14mm for 4-6 mile runs and as my mileage increased my times dropped to 9-10mm for 4-6 mile runs. I was watching David's thread closely on the main forum on running lots & slowly to running faster.

The only reason I brought up tempo runs, was b/c it was suggested to me after my V02 testing last week. I'm just trying to plan out my work-outs going into this tri season so I appreciate everyones thoughts.

2010-04-09 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2779573

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
tnguyen1 - 2010-04-09 9:44 AM When I mean I was slow....I was SLOW. 13-14mm for 4-6 mile runs and as my mileage increased my times dropped to 9-10mm for 4-6 mile runs.

The only reason I brought up tempo runs, was b/c it was suggested to me after my V02 testing last week. I'm just trying to plan out my work-outs going into this tri season so I appreciate everyones thoughts.[/QUOTE]

Whew!  I thought I was the only one!

Did you have this done professionally in a lab?  If you don't mind, how much did it cost and how did you find out about it?

Edited by jgerbodegrant 2010-04-09 10:02 AM
2010-04-09 10:22 AM
in reply to: #2779412

Expert
Ann Arbor
DirkP - 2010-04-09 8:54 AM Carl,
I saw you competed in the OSU tri.  I trust that you were wearing the maize and blue???  Or maybe you didn't have a death wish?

GO BLUE!

Of course I was representing the maize and blue!
2010-04-09 11:42 AM
in reply to: #2779573

User image

tnguyen1 - 2010-04-09 4:44 AM Dan, thanks for the list...very helpful.

Thanks everyone on the info on tempo runs. I was averaging 15-20 miles per week (for 2 months) leading up to my half marathon which I completed on 3/14. For the half marathon training I did notice my times dropping signifigantly by just running slowly, and running more. When I mean I was slow....I was SLOW. 13-14mm for 4-6 mile runs and as my mileage increased my times dropped to 9-10mm for 4-6 mile runs. I was watching David's thread closely on the main forum on running lots & slowly to running faster.

The only reason I brought up tempo runs, was b/c it was suggested to me after my V02 testing last week. I'm just trying to plan out my work-outs going into this tri season so I appreciate everyones thoughts.

IMO, if you can sustain this type of pace on most of your runs (with the exception of a LR) for 20-25 mpw, for a few weeks...then "maybe" one tempo a week wouldn't be so bad.  That's about where I am...and sometimes I throw in a tempo just to mix things up.  But if my legs feel a little tired...I have no problem passing on a tempo run and just do my normal 9ish minute pace.  But that's just me....=)
2010-04-09 11:47 AM

User image

Question for the group...

Do you take any vitamins/supplements on a consistant basis.

I take the GNC mega man multi-vitamin and glucosamine.  Once in a while I'll buy some protein powder to make shakes that act more as meal replacements so I can have something immediately after a workout...but haven't done that in a while. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  

of 105