BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2010-04-27 7:55 AM
in reply to: #2775149

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED
On Tuesday at lunch I would normally run the STADIUM steps. I love this workout and I am lucky to have a stadium right here at work (I work at a university). I have always used this as hill repeats (intervals) and it is one of the toughest workouts.

But I have started to do intervals with a group of guys on Thursdays and I don’t think I need two days of interval type training. The intervals we did last week were solid – 12 x quarter miles between 1:25 – 1:30 with 30 seconds recovery. It is the 12 repeats that wear you down.

So today I think I will get in a tempo run at lunch. I am thinking 3 miles in the 6:20 - 6:30 pace range. I did a brick on Saturday at 6:41 so I think this should be accomplishable.

2010-04-27 8:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Very odd this morning. In the last couple of weeks my foot has been bothering me again, the pain was different in the sense that it feels like it's saying get it checked or I'll SNAAAAP! Well, after my crazy run last night I was sure this morning was going to be a problem, expecting tightness, swelling and a lot of pain walking. It turned out the opposite. Yesterday walking to work from train was very painfull, today was almost a pain free walk. VERY WEIRD! I hope this is not the calm before the SNAAAP!

Hoping to get a bike session on stationary at the gym. Can't wait to get a trainer, not until end of summer, so I can just hope on almost anytime.

I think that crazy run has helped, I feel a little happier today. I must have released some toxins idling in my system.

Cheers!
2010-04-27 8:57 AM
in reply to: #2818936

User image

Expert
Salem
Signed up for the Blue Lake Oly Tri last night.   Rain here in Oregon today (how unusual!!!).  I may have to rearrange my days for this week. 

Edited by TriGuyBri 2010-04-27 8:59 AM
2010-04-27 9:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Longest bike ride to date 32 miles last night. Thought I might be sore today, but actually legs feel pretty good. Swimming is coming back pretty quickly. Completed 1200 yards with one set of 500 yards non-stop. Felt like I could probably do the whole mile today, but I stuck to the plan to do the 100's, 50's and 25's at a fast pace. Again, fast being a relative term. Laughing

Phil
2010-04-27 12:58 PM

User image

Regular
I got up early for 45 mins on the trainer and to catch up on the shows I missed last week.  I then hit the pool for 30 mins of pain.  It's amazing how fast the body can deteriorate in 13 days of no swimming - I'll definitely have to plan an earlier vacation next year.  Tonight I'm off for a round of golf with my league at work. 

T minus 12 days until my first tri and I'm pretty confident I'll hit my goal.

- Mark
2010-04-27 8:27 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Still no running but glad to be back on the bike the last couple of weeks.  Solid swim workout at lunch followed by most intense bike workout since getting back in the saddle 2 weeks ago.  10 minute warm up then 2x20 upper Z3/lower Z4 watts (195-200) on 5:00 recovery.  Feels good to push it again-can already feel tightness in quads.  Run has always been my strength so inability to run has forced me to focus on swimming and now cycling.  Long term-maybe the leg problem will be a positive.  How's that for rationalization!!. Hate to lose the run fitness though-was hitting consistent 30-35 miles per week......... Hopefully it will return quickly once I start pounding the pavement again.

Really enjoying the group-hope to have a race report before the group ends

Randy    

2010-04-27 10:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I got 6 miles at lunch with 4 at speed (6:35 / 6:40 / 6:26 / 6:26 ) - it is easier coming back ...

I know what you mean about the swim. I lose it the quickest.
2010-04-28 8:21 AM

User image

Veteran
DC
Looks like everyone is continuing to crank out the training...nice work to all.  By the end of summer we're going to be one lean, mean triathlon team.

Randy, out of curiosity, what is going on with your legs?  I too am on the mend...it's pretty frustrating.  Perhaps Melinda can share with us her thoughts on pool jogging- is it possible to get a workout from it?

2010-04-28 12:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Had a good run at lunch with a temp of 52F in gusting 27mph wind. I may have done it a little fast but I stayed in my estimated HR of Z2. I still can't believe that for two days now I am not feeling any pain in my left foot. It didn't even bother me during the run. Very odd but I don't mind at all Hopefully I can get to the pool today for my swim workout. It would be nice if I could get minimum 2 workouts of each sport.

Edited by sstucker 2010-04-28 12:23 PM
2010-04-28 12:34 PM
in reply to: #2821998

User image

Master
South Alabama

Randy, out of curiosity, what is going on with your legs?  I too am on the mend...it's pretty frustrating.  Perhaps Melinda can share with us her thoughts on pool jogging- is it possible to get a workout from it?

Will try to keep it short. Running half marathon in January and about 2 miles in began to feel tightness in right hamstring.  Could not get it loosened up so dropped out around mile 3.  By the time I got home I could not put any weight on right leg-used a cane for 2-3 days due to pain with each step.  Pain was down the back of my leg. I had several 100+ mile months prior to the race so was prepared.  Went to the ortho the next day and he said it was likely IT Band and that I could return to biking in a week and then running in 3-4.  Improved a good bit in a week so I went back to biking.  Was not much better after a month so went to Chiro for Active Release Therapy (ART)-this helped alot.  For the last 2 months I feel that I am almost there but can't get over the hump. Still tightness in right hamstring and just behind right knee.  Went back to Ortho and he thinks it is a lack of muscle balance/flexibility in my right hip-starting PT next Monday to learn some exercises that will hopefully lead to a long term fix. Ok, not so short.  Been very frustrating as I miss running. 

Tough getting old!

Randy

2010-04-28 1:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I put the following on my blog -

But, where do you put your timing chip - Left or Right?

http://hubcitytri.blogspot.com/2010/04/tips-where-do-you-wear-your-...

2010-04-28 6:29 PM

User image

Veteran
DC
Randy, that sounds really painful and must have been supremely frustrating.  I hope you get some results out of the PT. 

James, great post.  At my race over the weekend I slapped my chip band on my right ankle simply because the guy in front of me had his on his right leg. I'm now a committed leftist...

2010-04-28 7:33 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

On the pool/aqua jogging issue-you can get a good workout doing it but it is really boring.  When I was doing it I would do intervals. Something like warm up then 5-6 sets of 3-5 minutes hard with 1 minute recovery.  I checked heart rate after each hard set to make sure I was pushing it enough.  Do a google search and you will find some suggested workouts  I did it in waist deep water and worked up a sweat.  No adverse impact on the leg.  Now, I figure if I am going to be in the pool I should be working on my swimming as there is plenty of room for improvement.

Randy 

2010-04-28 8:06 PM
in reply to: #2823371

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
microspawn - 2010-04-28 2:20 PM I put the following on my blog - But, where do you put your timing chip - Left or Right? http://hubcitytri.blogspot.com/2010/04/tips-where-do-you-wear-your-...

I agree with left.  Actually, at many of the races I've done, they tell you to put it on your left.
2010-04-28 8:21 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Pool running:  Yes, you can get a very good aerobic workout.  I did quite a it of it at a time when I couldn't run.  You can also develop certain aspects of your legs (such as building mitochondria).  Just bear in mind that the one thing you will NOT develop is resistance to the pounding of running, and this is also the one thing that takes the longest to develop in order to avoid injury.  So my advice about pool running is:  do it.  And when you are able to run on the road again, re-introduce the running slowly and conservatively.  Substitute one session of road running for a session of pool running.  If that goes well, substitute another, and so on, until you have finally eliminated the incredibly boring pool running from your life.
2010-04-28 8:32 PM
in reply to: #2823125

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
sstucker - 2010-04-28 1:23 PM Had a good run at lunch with a temp of 52F in gusting 27mph wind. I may have done it a little fast but I stayed in my estimated HR of Z2. I still can't believe that for two days now I am not feeling any pain in my left foot. It didn't even bother me during the run. Very odd but I don't mind at all Hopefully I can get to the pool today for my swim workout. It would be nice if I could get minimum 2 workouts of each sport.

Great that you are running without pain!

Wish I could say the same.  I'm dealing with three separate (hopefully minor) problems right now (a tight IT band that so far has not been serious, a mysterious pain in my left quad/hip flexor that has been going on for several weeks, and a recurrence of pain in my right knee related to a previous surgery).  They are diminishing with tapering, but still very much there.  I will definitely have to take some time of from running and rebuild after my race this weekend.  For now, care and icing will, I think, get me through the race.  Fingers crossed...

2010-04-29 7:49 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hit a milestone today.  50,000+ swim yards for the month. Bittersweet though, would rather have 30k swim yards and 100 running miles.  Had not really planned on trying to hit that number but continued increase in number of swim workouts due to leg problem results in more swim distance.   

I have seen improvement in times since increasing volume over last few months. Can now comfortably do 1:35/100 scy repeats-an improvement of about 10 sec/100 over the last 2-3 months.  Still have trouble getting into a rhythm on longer swims-seems to take 8-10 laps to get to a comfort level where I feel that I will actually be able to complete the distance.  Maybe time to get a lesson or 2 to improve technique some.

On the road the next few days so I'll be limited to stationary bike and elliptical.  Have a good day everyone.

Randy  

2010-04-29 9:42 AM
in reply to: #2824901

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
slornow - 2010-04-29 8:49 AM

Hit a milestone today.  50,000+ swim yards for the month.

Nice!  There's nothing like volume to improve the swim.  It's a technique-oriented discipline for sure, but you also have to put in the time.

2010-04-29 8:51 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
My race prep just got complicated.  Ugh.  From my blog:

Got the race wheels on the bike, lubed it up, and went for a final ride. At least, that was the plan. As it happened, an idiot on Fort Jackson Blvd ran a red light and to avoid getting T-boned I had to take evasive action which involved, ultimately, landing on my side in the gravel on the side of the road. I'm a bit scratched up, especially on my left hip, and my left knee is banged up. I was able to ride home, with a little pain. We'll see how it is tomorrow.

The bike is also a bit banged up. The left brake lever doesn't work and the front derailleur does not function. The computer pickup is toast. Fortunately the wheels seem to be OK and the frame is OK. I'll be making a trip to the bike shop tomorrow....

The idiot did actually hit the car behind me (or vice versa -- I'm not sure). A cop arrived pretty quickly, and I got insurance info, etc.

Now, here's the kicker. The cop was doing his thing---he could tell right away whose fault it was, and although the idiot initially tried to claim that the light was green his way, that didn't last long and the cop was having none of it. So then the idiot says "but the bike -- that's not my fault; I didn't hit him and anyway he's not supposed to be on the road." Unbelievable. Fortunately the cop set him straight.
2010-04-30 5:27 AM
in reply to: #2827397

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Michael, that sounded like a very close call.  Hope you and your bike are feeling better later today.  Not exactly your ideal pre-race situation.  Sometimes it seems like it's more about what we can overcome than what we can accomplish.  I'm sure Heidi and Randy can attest to that right now too. 

There are a few drivers out there who just refuse to believe that roads should be shared.  A couple of weeks ago some yahoo in a convertible came up behind me and leaned on his horn as if I could get more over to the side of the road.  Quite clear he didn't think I had any business slowing him down.  Ran into him later at one of our local stores and he was getting chewed out by the owner who doesn't take any crap from anyone.  Apparently he was yelling at one of the servers to get a move on it.  I guess the world must revolve around some people.  And on a beautiful spring Sunday afternoon. 

Good luck to all those racing this weekend.  Thanks for all the comments on my race from last weekend.  Seems like an eon ago now... it's been a long week teaching.  Glad to be through it... wasn't able to get many workouts in and those I did were pretty sad.  But ultimately for me, triathlons are about being more fit and healthy... an important goal to be sure, but not the only one (I have to remind myself of that sometimes!)

Happy May Day everyone!
-Stu
2010-04-30 6:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Michael – That is scary I am glad you are okay. With the police on the scene it sounds like you (at least for now) have the best scenario of a bad situation.

[SOAPBOX]

I know that you were not going this direction but it made me think. I am sure we have all had close calls. Considering the time spent in the elements I bit we are all pretty lucky to have just “close calls”.

Not to single it out because I have seen similar behavior in other states, but here in Mississippi there is little tolerance for cyclist or pedestrians for that matter. When people are in cares they are isolated and protected and are able to dehumanize the people around them. I was walking across campus last year and crossing the street in a cross walk while going to the gym. A car did a rolling stop and swerved around me in the cross walk. Now, I am a cross walk pedestrian advocate. I follow the rules but I do not skip my turn when it is time to cross. I am aggressive. I threw my hands up and yelled at them.

Of course they did not hesitate and speed off. I watched the car pull into the gym parking lot 100 yards away. As I walked to the gym I could see that we were on a collision course. I thought of all the things to say. I met the person at the entrance to the gym. I had seen this lady in the gym dozens of times. She is a professional looking woman in her fifties.

I tactfully told the lady that she nearly ran me over in the cross walk and that there was a stop sign at that intersection that she rolled through. She apologized and said that she did not see me. Clearly she saw me. I then asked her why she had to swerve into the other lane if she did not see me? She apologized again and was now very nervous because I called her out.

I calmly asked her how she would feel if another driver had tried to save a few seconds while her son or daughter had been crossing the street. She was speechless.

Michael, I hate the fact that the driver immediately tried to deny responsibility. We all make mistakes. Just fess up when you do!

[\SOAPBOX]

Good luck to those racing this weekend!

2010-04-30 9:20 AM

User image

Veteran
DC
Yikes Michael- sounds pretty scary. I'm glad that you escaped serious injury. 

Good luck tomorrow at the HIM!  Hopefully your bike will be back in working order and will carry you well under 5 hrs.

As for the rest of yous guys with races this weekend- good luck!! 
2010-04-30 9:22 AM
in reply to: #2827397

User image

Expert
Salem
Experior - 2010-04-29 6:51 PM My race prep just got complicated.  Ugh.  From my blog:

Got the race wheels on the bike, lubed it up, and went for a final ride. At least, that was the plan. As it happened, an idiot on Fort Jackson Blvd ran a red light and to avoid getting T-boned I had to take evasive action which involved, ultimately, landing on my side in the gravel on the side of the road. I'm a bit scratched up, especially on my left hip, and my left knee is banged up. I was able to ride home, with a little pain. We'll see how it is tomorrow.

The bike is also a bit banged up. The left brake lever doesn't work and the front derailleur does not function. The computer pickup is toast. Fortunately the wheels seem to be OK and the frame is OK. I'll be making a trip to the bike shop tomorrow....

The idiot did actually hit the car behind me (or vice versa -- I'm not sure). A cop arrived pretty quickly, and I got insurance info, etc.

Now, here's the kicker. The cop was doing his thing---he could tell right away whose fault it was, and although the idiot initially tried to claim that the light was green his way, that didn't last long and the cop was having none of it. So then the idiot says "but the bike -- that's not my fault; I didn't hit him and anyway he's not supposed to be on the road." Unbelievable. Fortunately the cop set him straight.

Good Morning All,

Michael I hope you are Ok this morning and some "Yahoo" doesn't derail your race prep and outcomes.  Please let us know how you are doing. 

Never like to hear this kind of news.  It serves as a reminder how vulnerable we are at times no matter how cautious we try to be. 

Brian
2010-04-30 9:27 AM

User image

Expert
Salem
Took the majority of the day off of work as vacation time.   I moved my workouts around as I want to get my Long-run in before I do my long bike tomorrow due to fear of injury (running after a long bike).  I know myself to well that at some point usually at the end of the run I pick my pace up and I am hoping I can resist the urge to do so and just let the pace be even throughout the run.  We'll see.

Have a great day everyone and a Long weekend of great training and opportunities for improvement to come.Smile
2010-04-30 9:37 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Michael-that stinks.  Glad you are relatively ok.  Make sure you take pictures of damage to bike and your injuries if you intend to make a claim against the guy.  Hope you will be able to recover well enough to race.  Keep us up to date.

Randy 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40