Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 103

2010-04-14 1:09 PM
in reply to: #2776397

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: chichitao's group - FULL!
yeah, i've never seen a swim get canceled either.  down here it has to be lightning for them to cancel. 

2010-04-14 1:13 PM
in reply to: #2791726

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2010-04-14 1:09 PM yeah, i've never seen a swim get canceled either.  down here it has to be lightning for them to cancel. 

I was supposed to do the swim for SheRox.  Philadelphia police made them cancel the swim due to the conditions of the river.  It was pretty bad from a storm the day before.  They ended up calling the whole thing anyway because of lightening.
2010-04-14 1:27 PM
in reply to: #2791726

User image

Regular
It gets so windy in St. George, Utah that the lake has HUGE white caps... They won't let us swim if it gets that bad. It's scary
2010-04-14 2:07 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

T2 - I see you're doing the Big Foot Tri this year!  Have you done it before?  I want to do it this year since it's so close to us (in Milwaukee)!  Hopefully Ryan finds a "real" job soon so we can afford more triathlons!

Oh, and T1, thanks for the My Cousin Vinny reference!  It made me laugh out loud during class (whoops).  My dad used to always call me and my brother the "two youts."  Oh I love my Italian family...

Courtney - Are you aiming for the IM out there eventually?  I've heard it's gorgeous.  We're hoping to take a trip out there in the next couple years! 

Any tips for core training?  I need to get back into that!  Summer is almost here, and I'll have so much more time to workout and I'M EXCITED!!!

Happy Wednesday!

2010-04-14 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2791543

User image

Expert
Tri.me2010 - 2010-04-14 12:29 PM What is everyone's opinion on strength training during tri season? I have heard both sides of the argument... But I am wondering what everyone thinks.

I am doing 2 hours a week now ( because I have a class in school) but come May I won't have regualr sessions set up.

I have heard NO strength training at all.
I have heard Core only
I have heard Up to 3 hours a week....

I am being pulled towards Core only during tri season... But I am still curious if that sounds right...

Help???

So many variable with this but here is my 2 cents:

Core Workouts - YES - I have found that this makes such a difference in all three sports when I have kept up with my core workout.  the best I have found was actually right here called "Round The World" http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486

Strength Training - VARIES - This all depends on the program and the reps and weight used and rest between workouts.  I would suggest just doing more light weights more reps just to build and keep up the strength and not bulk. 

I lift 2 days a week and do my core workout at least twice also.  This usually comes out to 2-1/2 hours week so you are probably right about the 3 hours.
2010-04-14 2:15 PM
in reply to: #2791975

User image

Expert
SoccerGK - 2010-04-14 2:07 PM

T2 - I see you're doing the Big Foot Tri this year!  Have you done it before?  I want to do it this year since it's so close to us (in Milwaukee)!  Hopefully Ryan finds a "real" job soon so we can afford more triathlons!

Oh, and T1, thanks for the My Cousin Vinny reference!  It made me laugh out loud during class (whoops).  My dad used to always call me and my brother the "two youts."  Oh I love my Italian family...

Courtney - Are you aiming for the IM out there eventually?  I've heard it's gorgeous.  We're hoping to take a trip out there in the next couple years! 

Any tips for core training?  I need to get back into that!  Summer is almost here, and I'll have so much more time to workout and I'M EXCITED!!!

Happy Wednesday!

Yes - looking forward to that race - actually just booked my campsite at Big Foot state park last night haha

I just posted this but just in case try this for a core training - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486

2010-04-14 3:18 PM

Good luck with the half marathon coming up!! I would say like everyone else try to taper just before the event, don't do anything tooo long too close to the event.  If you're anything like me though its hard to resist.

And strength training, I do core work and also some general strength training but this is mainly because at the grand old age of 24 I already have dodgy knees and ankles and my doc told me some conditioning work would help. 

Did 2 hours on the bike today in the fresh air and I am EXHAUSTED now!
Hope you're all having good wednesdays
2010-04-14 3:27 PM
in reply to: #2791531

User image

Veteran
I have it in a word document.
2010-04-14 3:34 PM
in reply to: #2791975

User image

Regular
SoccerGK - 2010-04-14 1:07 PM

Happy Wednesday!

YES!!! I have a bunch of friends doing IM SG May 1st and I am SOO jealous. I want to Do an IM before I am 30, and I am hoping SG can be my first. I have heard it is SUPER hard though. :S
Utah is a GORGEOUS place to live. We have it all. I am kinda surprised Tris aren't bigger here... cause we have the perfect terrain for it :D 
2010-04-14 3:37 PM
in reply to: #2791992

User image

Regular
tmoran80 - 2010-04-14 1:12 PM
Tri.me2010 - 2010-04-14 12:29 PM What is everyone's opinion on strength training during tri season? I have heard both sides of the argument... But I am wondering what everyone thinks.

I am doing 2 hours a week now ( because I have a class in school) but come May I won't have regualr sessions set up.

I have heard NO strength training at all.
I have heard Core only
I have heard Up to 3 hours a week....

I am being pulled towards Core only during tri season... But I am still curious if that sounds right...

Help???

So many variable with this but here is my 2 cents:

Core Workouts - YES - I have found that this makes such a difference in all three sports when I have kept up with my core workout.  the best I have found was actually right here called "Round The World" http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486

Strength Training - VARIES - This all depends on the program and the reps and weight used and rest between workouts.  I would suggest just doing more light weights more reps just to build and keep up the strength and not bulk. 

I lift 2 days a week and do my core workout at least twice also.  This usually comes out to 2-1/2 hours week so you are probably right about the 3 hours.

Thanks!! that workout looks great. I am going to give it a try. :D

We have a GREAT group.... I am so excited!!! You guys are gonna really help me :D
Not to mention... you are all pretty awesome :D 
2010-04-14 3:47 PM
in reply to: #2792226

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Hmmm, as far as I know there is no way to get a word document to upload here.  If you had it in excel you could save it as a .csv file and then upload it as a training plan (I've never tried that before) or you could manually go in and add one day at a time but that can take a while (I tried it once last year but my patience ran out!). 

Try asking your question to the guys who created this site...they might be able to give you more specifics.  Here is the link to the Training Log & Site Support forum. 

debbiereid06 - 2010-04-14 3:27 PM I have it in a word document.

Edited by chichitao 2010-04-14 3:48 PM

2010-04-14 5:54 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Sandra....any way we can get a revised chart for our logs with Courtney?  Thanks!
2010-04-14 5:55 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Thanks for thinking and praying for our cousin today!  Initial results of the biopsy show a low grade tumor.  According to our cousin who sent the email, this is good news.  He is looking at surgery Friday or early next week.  I can't even begin to tell you how much your kind words have meant to me today.  I have started to cry with each one!
2010-04-14 6:10 PM
in reply to: #2792562

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
2010-04-14 6:11 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Hey all, I need some advice on my upcoming run.  I have incredibly flat feet and need to be very careful upping my miles.  I recently got orthotics and they have been great!  I saw a huge difference within a week.  My husband's friend is a chiropactor and able to do the molding and fitting for them.  After taking the mold, he told me I have the worst feet he has ever seen.  That will just give you an idea of how bad they really are.  The guy who did them is a triathlete and a marathon runner and feels confident that I can still do what I want to do with my poor feet.  Anyway, it took me a good 2 weeks to recover from the last 10 miler I did a few weeks ago.  I have not been able to get a long run in since but feel pretty confident about the 10 miler in 2 weeks.  I know I can do it.  My concern is the recovery.  I am starting a 20 week marathon plan the beginning of July.  I need to start focusing on increasing my base between now and then.  I need a higher base than normally recommended because of my feet.  My number one goal for this year is the marathon in November.  I am afraid I will need a few weeks to fully recover and I will be losing those weeks of increasing my base.  I am registered for the run but I won't be upset if I decide to skip it.  I think the fee was $30.  I can decide a few days before so I don't need to decide right now.  What would you guys do about it?
2010-04-14 6:14 PM
in reply to: #2792583

User image

Expert
South Jersey
corstan - 2010-04-14 6:10 PM
Mrschach - 2010-04-14 3:54 PM Sandra....any way we can get a revised chart for our logs with Courtney?  Thanks!

Here you go!

Chichitao's Mentor Group

chichitao - Tim
corstan - Sandra
MrsChach - Meggan
bassandbike - Patrick
Tri.me2010 - Courtney
wisprunner - Shauna
RuthEleri- Ruth
NRG42 - Cheri
debbiereid06 - Debbie
SoccerGK - Erica
LockOut - Pete
tmoran80 - Tim

WOW!!!  Ask and I shall receive!  I like!   Thanks!!!

2010-04-14 7:00 PM
in reply to: #2792586

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
What about just taking it easy and using the upcoming 10mi run as a training day.  Maybe work on pacing and run a mile, walk a mile, or break it into half mile segments.  Kinda of treat it as an interval day.

Mrschach - 2010-04-14 6:11 PM Hey all, I need some advice on my upcoming run.  I have incredibly flat feet and need to be very careful upping my miles.  I recently got orthotics and they have been great!  I saw a huge difference within a week.  My husband's friend is a chiropactor and able to do the molding and fitting for them.  After taking the mold, he told me I have the worst feet he has ever seen.  That will just give you an idea of how bad they really are.  The guy who did them is a triathlete and a marathon runner and feels confident that I can still do what I want to do with my poor feet.  Anyway, it took me a good 2 weeks to recover from the last 10 miler I did a few weeks ago.  I have not been able to get a long run in since but feel pretty confident about the 10 miler in 2 weeks.  I know I can do it.  My concern is the recovery.  I am starting a 20 week marathon plan the beginning of July.  I need to start focusing on increasing my base between now and then.  I need a higher base than normally recommended because of my feet.  My number one goal for this year is the marathon in November.  I am afraid I will need a few weeks to fully recover and I will be losing those weeks of increasing my base.  I am registered for the run but I won't be upset if I decide to skip it.  I think the fee was $30.  I can decide a few days before so I don't need to decide right now.  What would you guys do about it?
2010-04-14 7:15 PM
in reply to: #2792648

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2010-04-14 7:00 PM What about just taking it easy and using the upcoming 10mi run as a training day.  Maybe work on pacing and run a mile, walk a mile, or break it into half mile segments.  Kinda of treat it as an interval day.

Mrschach - 2010-04-14 6:11 PM Hey all, I need some advice on my upcoming run.  I have incredibly flat feet and need to be very careful upping my miles.  I recently got orthotics and they have been great!  I saw a huge difference within a week.  My husband's friend is a chiropactor and able to do the molding and fitting for them.  After taking the mold, he told me I have the worst feet he has ever seen.  That will just give you an idea of how bad they really are.  The guy who did them is a triathlete and a marathon runner and feels confident that I can still do what I want to do with my poor feet.  Anyway, it took me a good 2 weeks to recover from the last 10 miler I did a few weeks ago.  I have not been able to get a long run in since but feel pretty confident about the 10 miler in 2 weeks.  I know I can do it.  My concern is the recovery.  I am starting a 20 week marathon plan the beginning of July.  I need to start focusing on increasing my base between now and then.  I need a higher base than normally recommended because of my feet.  My number one goal for this year is the marathon in November.  I am afraid I will need a few weeks to fully recover and I will be losing those weeks of increasing my base.  I am registered for the run but I won't be upset if I decide to skip it.  I think the fee was $30.  I can decide a few days before so I don't need to decide right now.  What would you guys do about it?
  Tim...that is a good idea but I don't know if I could actually do that!!  This race is known to be the fastest 10 mile in the country.  If I run it, I will find it hard not to do it for time!!  I am really hoping to somehow squeeze in a long run this weekend.  John is away and both sets of parents are too.  I may see if my aunt and uncle will come stay with the boys for me to run 8 and see how my feet are.
2010-04-14 7:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Wow, I can't keep up with you guys not being able to go on the internet during the day!  SO MUCH is going on!  You guys are amazing!  I feel like I am not putting my 2 cents in enough, so I'm sorry for that!  Unfortunately, I don't have data on my phone, so I can't go on there, either...

As for my day, it was shaping up to be a good day...  I had a good, relaxing morning, and went to go get changed for my run at lunch.  As I was getting my stuff out, I realized that I had forgotten soap and shampoo.  No run for me.  But I did keep up with my bike.  Got a good 20km ride in, but holy moley the roads are bad here in Montreal!  It felt great to get off my bike!  I can't wait to be able to go to the local car race track to ride.  

Hope everyone had a good day today! 
2010-04-14 9:26 PM
in reply to: #2791239

User image

Expert
South Jersey
NRG42 - 2010-04-14 11:14 AM I am doing my last 11-12 mile run tonight before my first 1/2 mary .  I need this run to go well for mm and mental well-being.  I ve had some unusual mishaps and newbie errors that have been playing with my mind.....but I am ready and so excited because the weather is beautiful and can't wait to work up a good sweat. 

How was your run?
2010-04-15 6:38 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Got my bike in again today!  Love her.  No pains, and I felt really good.  Still trying to get my cadence up, but I'm working my way there slowly!  It's nice to wake up early and get it out of the way, but the only reason I do is because it means I have a workout buddy, because that's when Ryan trains!

Meggan - I know how you feel!  Once you get in a race setting, it's hard to dial it back.  Just make sure you listen to your body, and I think you'll be okay.

Pete - Way to get that workout in!  Now that's dedication.  The streets here in Milwaukee are so bad, I stopped commuting to school.  My poor rear couldn't take it anymore.  So I admire anyone who can fight through that!

2010-04-15 7:19 AM

User image

Veteran
wow!  You all have been busy on here!  Went to the Cardinals game last night and was up way past my bedtime

So I weighed in yesterday and I lost 1.4 lbs this week!!!!  I am super excited about that.  I have been really trying to watch what I eat and I know that makes a huge difference and can make the difference if I am not getting all my workouts in (weight wise). 

I have 15-20 wheelbarrows of mulch to lay tonight so that will be my workout for today.  But I am planning on doing my step class followed by a short run in the am tomorrow. 

The core article was great!  Thanks for that.
2010-04-15 9:54 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Hi guys,

I made my run last night, still slow but felt good .  Back up and going today will swim and tone up the core.  Very little swelling in the knees and body feel fine today. 

Thanks for all the tips and support it really did help!!!! 
2010-04-15 9:57 AM
in reply to: #2792256

User image

Expert

Thanks!! that workout looks great. I am going to give it a try. :D

My wife and kids think I am crazy since I usually do that workout in the evening while they are watching tv and you would think I am getting beat and kicked in the gut especially towards the end when I get to the last three and after every one I am rolling on the ground moaning for about 5-10 seconds - haha
2010-04-15 10:08 AM
in reply to: #2793667

User image

Expert
Good job on the run last night!  Could not believe how warm it was last night and was thinkning about you doing your run as I walked outside leaving work last night and was glad it was you not me doing a long run haha -j/k

I am doing the Rock-N-Roll 1/2 in August and will be increasing my mileage pretty soon.  Nothing better than hot / humid Chicago summer weather for those long runs!!

NRG42 - 2010-04-15 9:54 AM Hi guys,

I made my run last night, still slow but felt good .  Back up and going today will swim and tone up the core.  Very little swelling in the knees and body feel fine today. 

Thanks for all the tips and support it really did help!!!! 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 103