BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's mentor group is Closed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2010-06-21 5:33 AM
in reply to: #2932863

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Subject: RE: BamaDC's mentor group is Closed!
cornfed - 2010-06-20 4:54 PM
BamaDC - 2010-06-19 7:41 AM
cornfed - 2010-06-18 8:38 PM I'm running a 10-miler tomorrow morning.  The weather forecast is low 90's, humid and it's in the city so there is a code orange air pollution warning.  Great day for a race!!

Kick some butt. 

I'm on baby duty tomorrow.  Hopefully I can bang out a tempo ride.

I did!  I knocked almost 7 minutes of my PR which was on a flat course (which was rumored to be short) and this was anything but flat.  Not only that but knocked almost 25 minutes off of my time from the same race last year!  Here's my report.

Nice Work!!

2010-06-21 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2781196

User image

Master
Mark,

Question for you.  I am considering buying a powetap (guy is advertising one here).  Decent deal, good deal, avoid? 

Seemed like a decent deal to me, but I am no expert on these types of things.
2010-06-21 1:37 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
ooh!!! Wish i had one!!!
2010-06-22 7:26 AM
in reply to: #2934425

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
sand101 - 2010-06-21 12:07 PM Mark,

Question for you.  I am considering buying a powetap (guy is advertising one here).  Decent deal, good deal, avoid? 

It doesn't include the headunit and no mention of a heart rate strap. 

The electronic pack(headunit/computer and heart rate strap) usually run around $290.

If your up to spending an additonal 290 bucks then go for it.  Or maybe you can luck out and find a computer on ebay.
2010-06-22 9:04 AM
in reply to: #2936003

User image

Master
BamaDC - 2010-06-22 7:26 AM

The electronic pack(headunit/computer and heart rate strap) usually run around $290.

If your up to spending an additonal 290 bucks then go for it.  Or maybe you can luck out and find a computer on ebay.

Ok.  Why would I need any of that if I had an ANT equipped Garmin (I have a 310XT)?  HR strap - got it.  Power can be captured with the Garmin (since it is wireless), correct?

I feel like I'm missing something here.
2010-06-22 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2936206

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
sand101 - 2010-06-22 9:04 AM
BamaDC - 2010-06-22 7:26 AM

Ok.  Why would I need any of that if I had an ANT equipped Garmin (I have a 310XT)?  HR strap - got it.  Power can be captured with the Garmin (since it is wireless), correct?

I feel like I'm missing something here.

My bad I forgot all about you having the 310.  I say put in an offer.

2010-06-23 1:42 PM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Well did you put in an offer?
2010-06-23 8:30 PM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
How is everyone's training going?  My training has really fallen off since I moved into my new office.  At least I'm still loosing weight.
2010-06-23 8:43 PM
in reply to: #2940234

User image

Expert
Raleigh
BamaDC - 2010-06-23 8:30 PM How is everyone's training going?  My training has really fallen off since I moved into my new office.  At least I'm still loosing weight.

must be nice! I'm training my azz off, and I've gained a few. eating way to much. long swim workouts make me ravenous. Started my IM program a few weeks ago, and ramping up the volume quickly.
2010-06-24 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2940234

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
BamaDC - 2010-06-23 9:30 PM How is everyone's training going?  My training has really fallen off since I moved into my new office.  At least I'm still loosing weight.

I'm pretty happy where I am right now.  My log looks a little in consistent but I had to make some adjustments last week for the 10-miler and to get in a brick.  I'm traveling for work so things are a little screwed up this week but I feel like I'm prepared for the race this weekend and am doing enough to maintain.

I missed my weightloss goal so I need to get back on track with that.   I was really dragging over the last few weeks as I started building up bike and swim volume.  I started eating more so energy levels were back up.  I'm feeling better with the volume so I need to make an effort to get back on track.

My first tri is on Sunday, does anyone have any pointers?
2010-06-24 11:59 AM
in reply to: #2940270

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

titeloops - 2010-06-23 8:43 PM
BamaDC - 2010-06-23 8:30 PM How is everyone's training going?  My training has really fallen off since I moved into my new office.  At least I'm still loosing weight.

must be nice! I'm training my azz off, and I've gained a few. eating way to much. long swim workouts make me ravenous. Started my IM program a few weeks ago, and ramping up the volume quickly.

I ate like a teenager while training for IM.

Your getting in some good bike volume.  What are you planning on doing for your long runs?

2010-06-24 2:50 PM
in reply to: #2941440

User image

Expert
Raleigh
BamaDC - 2010-06-24 11:59 AM

titeloops - 2010-06-23 8:43 PM

I ate like a teenager while training for IM.

Your getting in some good bike volume.  What are you planning on doing for your long runs?

Long runs are what I'm really struggling with right now. Strange, casue I've always had very little problem with the runs as long as I stay healthy. I had a 9 miler planned for this morning and only managed 7. Think maybe it's the heat that's getting me. I'm gonna commit to getting in a long run for 3 weeks consistently, then a recovery week. Guess I'll try and add about 10% each week. I'd like to build to a 20 miler or 2 in before the IM.

2010-06-24 2:57 PM
in reply to: #2940909

User image

Expert
Raleigh
cornfed - 2010-06-24 8:59 AM
BamaDC - 2010-06-23 9:30 PM How is everyone's training going?  My training has really fallen off since I moved into my new office.  At least I'm still loosing weight.

I'm pretty happy where I am right now.  My log looks a little in consistent but I had to make some adjustments last week for the 10-miler and to get in a brick.  I'm traveling for work so things are a little screwed up this week but I feel like I'm prepared for the race this weekend and am doing enough to maintain.

I missed my weightloss goal so I need to get back on track with that.   I was really dragging over the last few weeks as I started building up bike and swim volume.  I started eating more so energy levels were back up.  I'm feeling better with the volume so I need to make an effort to get back on track.

Sprint? Oly?  If it's a sprint, I suggest pushing hard from the start. I took it easy on my first and even 2nd race, and even though I was happy with my overall finish, I knew I left some time out there, and it pizzed me off. I wouldn't worry much about nutrition, maybe a gel on the bike, but it will prolly be hot, so hydrate on the bike so you don't have to worry much about it on the run.
Also, don't be surprised if it takes a few miles to settle in on the bike. This was something I wasn't prepared for. My HR was thru the roof coming out of T1. Read somewhere it's due to going from horizontal to vertical when you come out of the water. The other thing that'll kill ya in a sprint is transition time. I thought mine were fast, until i saw the official splits. WAY SLOW. Slow transitions will really cost ya, cause you don't have that much time to make it up on the course. Ofcourse, the most important thing, at some point in time, make sure you are having fun!!!
2010-06-24 4:24 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama

BamaDC,

Do you mind if I join in the mentor group?

I think Sand101 and LostSheep would give me a decent rec...

NAME: Jason

Story:  I've got an athletic backgroud in soccer, football & wrestling.  Never been much of an endurance/running person.  I started running a couple of 5k's a year about 3-4 years ago, then last year decided I was getting board with running my 2-3 miles and decided to step it up.  Read a few things about Triathlon's and here I am.  A few Master's swim classes later and a bike purchase, I have 4 sprints under my belt.

Family Status:  Married and 2 wonderful boys (5 and 4)

Current Training:  Slacked off from November to February, but picked up the training s/b/r in February.  Been trying to build up some running and biking for an OLY.  All seem to be getting better, but still slow comparatively.

This year's races:  I've completed the Memphis in May Sprint and Grandman Triathlon(Fairhope, AL).  I'm planning on the Music City OLY, which may turn into the Rocketman OLY.  I will probably follow up with the Mountain Lakes in August.  After that, not sure.  I want to shoot for HIM next spring or fall.  For running, I am planning on the Vulcan 10k in November and St. Jude HM (Memphis) in December.

Goals: Complete and OLY and improve running and cycling.

Edited by pilotzs 2010-06-24 4:37 PM
2010-06-24 5:24 PM
in reply to: #2942355

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
pilotzs - 2010-06-24 4:24 PM

BamaDC,

Story:  I've got an athletic backgroud in soccer, football & wrestling.  Never been much of an endurance/running person.  I started running a couple of 5k's a year about 3-4 years ago, then last year decided I was getting board with running my 2-3 miles and decided to step it up.  Read a few things about Triathlon's and here I am.  A few Master's swim classes later and a bike purchase, I have 4 sprints under my belt.

Current Training:  Slacked off from November to February, but picked up the training s/b/r in February.  Been trying to build up some running and biking for an OLY.  All seem to be getting better, but still slow comparatively.

This year's races:  I've completed the Memphis in May Sprint and Grandman Triathlon(Fairhope, AL).  I'm planning on the Music City OLY, which may turn into the Rocketman OLY.  I will probably follow up with the Mountain Lakes in August.  After that, not sure.  I want to shoot for HIM next spring or fall.  For running, I am planning on the Vulcan 10k in November and St. Jude HM (Memphis) in December.

Welcome, we need some new blood in the group. 
2010-06-24 5:29 PM
in reply to: #2942129

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

titeloops - 2010-06-24 2:57 PM

Sprint? Oly?  If it's a sprint, I suggest pushing hard from the start. I took it easy on my first and even 2nd race, and even though I was happy with my overall finish, I knew I left some time out there, and it pizzed me off. I wouldn't worry much about nutrition, maybe a gel on the bike, but it will prolly be hot, so hydrate on the bike so you don't have to worry much about it on the run.
Also, don't be surprised if it takes a few miles to settle in on the bike. This was something I wasn't prepared for. My HR was thru the roof coming out of T1. Read somewhere it's due to going from horizontal to vertical when you come out of the water. The other thing that'll kill ya in a sprint is transition time. I thought mine were fast, until i saw the official splits. WAY SLOW. Slow transitions will really cost ya, cause you don't have that much time to make it up on the course. Ofcourse, the most important thing, at some point in time, make sure you are having fun!!!

Transitions will kill you! 

I've got a duathlon Saturday and I'm thinking about taking off my speedplays and putting on flat pedals w/ straps.    That way I don't have to deal with changing shoes.  I bet I could get my transitions under 25 seconds.

2010-06-24 7:15 PM
in reply to: #2942129

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
titeloops - 2010-06-24 3:57 PM

It's a sprint.  I wasn't really going to worry about nutrition.  I thought about gel on the bike but we'll see.  I'm planning to take it easy on the swim then push it on the bike.  I know I could trash my run but I don't really care.  It's a little longer than a 5k (3.4mi) so I'm hoping to get off the bike and just try to hang on.

What do I need to worry about in transition?  I'm not wearing a wetsuit so other than putting on my bike shoes and helmet do I need to worry about anything else in T1?  I was thinking about leaving my HRM off because I don't want to worry about swimming with it or waste time putting it during transition. 
2010-06-24 8:37 PM
in reply to: #2942611

User image

Expert
Raleigh
cornfed - 2010-06-24 7:15 PM

It's a sprint.  I wasn't really going to worry about nutrition.  I thought about gel on the bike but we'll see.  I'm planning to take it easy on the swim then push it on the bike.  I know I could trash my run but I don't really care.  It's a little longer than a 5k (3.4mi) so I'm hoping to get off the bike and just try to hang on.

What do I need to worry about in transition?  I'm not wearing a wetsuit so other than putting on my bike shoes and helmet do I need to worry about anything else in T1?  I was thinking about leaving my HRM off because I don't want to worry about swimming with it or waste time putting it during transition. 

I usually skip the HR monitor. It would be nice to have the data to crunch after the race, but it will def cost you time. T2 usually kills me cause I add socks. Also, I replaced my shoelaces with Yankz, and that saves lots of time. 

Edited by titeloops 2010-06-24 8:39 PM
2010-06-24 8:41 PM
in reply to: #2942463

User image

Expert
Raleigh
BamaDC - 2010-06-24 5:24 PM

BamaDC,

Howdy Jason!
2010-06-24 10:09 PM
in reply to: #2942463

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
BamaDC - 2010-06-24 6:24 PM

BamaDC,

Definitely, welcome aboard.
2010-06-25 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2942863

User image

Expert
Alabama
Thanks guys and gals.  Good to meet everyone.

2010-06-25 8:34 AM
in reply to: #2942611

User image

Expert
Alabama
cornfed - 2010-06-24 7:15 PM

Is this your first sprint?  Looks like you have a pretty good run from your logs.

You probably will not need much nutrition.  For a sprint (depending on the distance, heat & humidity), i've been taking a bottle of water and bottle of sports drink on the bike, and I've carried a gel with me.  Then i just use the water on the run.

I didn't pace well on the bike in my first sprint this year, went out too hard and died on the hot run.  I didn't take in enough fluid or a gel on the bike either, which made me feel pretty bad on the run portion.

My next sprint, I pretty much drank both bottles and actually took a gel on the bike.  It worked out better, but I don't believe I was hydrated properly in the days leading up, as the run was still very difficult, but I felt better on the run overall, even with the heat.

As far as T1...Keep it simple.  I have my bike helmet & sunglasses on my aero bars.  I come in, put on my shoes, put on my sunglasses, strap on my helmet and I'm off.  In T2, I come in, take off my helmet, slide off my bike shoes, slip on my run shoes, hat, grab my race belt and I'm off.  My transitions could be better, but i'm a slow runner out of the swim with my HR up.

As far as the HRM, I wear mine.  I left it behind on the first tri this year and I actually missed it.  I wear the strap on the swim and it's never bothered me.  I have the garmin 305, so I keep my unit on the bike in T1, so it's already ready to go when I get on the bike.  In T2, I just transition it to my wrist.  It's worked out pretty well, haven't had any issues with it.  Either way, you would probably be fine.  One less thing to worry about in transition.
2010-06-25 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2942740

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
They just posted the swim wave start times.  My wave (M30-34) is between the 30-34 women and M50-54/Clydesdale waves.  That seems weird...
2010-06-25 12:06 PM
in reply to: #2943270

User image

Expert
Alabama
cornfed - 2010-06-25 8:36 AM They just posted the swim wave start times.  My wave (M30-34) is between the 30-34 women and M50-54/Clydesdale waves.  That seems weird...

that does seem a bit strange.  They are sending the 30-34 women before the men?
2010-06-25 5:20 PM
in reply to: #2943920

User image

Expert
Raleigh
pilotzs - 2010-06-25 12:06 PM
cornfed - 2010-06-25 8:36 AM They just posted the swim wave start times.  My wave (M30-34) is between the 30-34 women and M50-54/Clydesdale waves.  That seems weird...

that does seem a bit strange.  They are sending the 30-34 women before the men?

My last race was that way. We started behind the women. Some of those ladies got plowed when we caught em. I managed not to totally swim over any of them, but definitely gave a few of them a scare. Not sure what the RD was thinking.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's mentor group is Closed! Rss Feed  

of 52