General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 150

2010-10-10 4:53 PM
in reply to: #3052895

Plainview, NY
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
Hey all,

A week essentially off, and back (mostly) on the wagon this week.  Mostly smooth, mileage and paces are definitely higher and faster at same effort levels as before.  Probably going to reset back a few weeks to match up to Bold Eagle, but the results are showing well.  Looking into the next week, a few questions:

I'm slower on a trainer than I am on the road, despite what feels like more effort.  Is this me needing to acclimate or is it normal?
On "build" in the swim, does this mean start slow then get fast?
What are your thoughts on swim toys, i.e. fins, hand paddles, that sort of thing?  I use a pool buoy and a kick board, but wasn't sure about the rest.

Well wishes to all this week!

mG

2010-10-10 5:17 PM
in reply to: #3143875

User image

Pro
pitman80 - 2010-10-10 5:53 PM Hey all,

A week essentially off, and back (mostly) on the wagon this week.  Mostly smooth, mileage and paces are definitely higher and faster at same effort levels as before.  Probably going to reset back a few weeks to match up to Bold Eagle, but the results are showing well.  Looking into the next week, a few questions:

I'm slower on a trainer than I am on the road, despite what feels like more effort.  Is this me needing to acclimate or is it normal?
On "build" in the swim, does this mean start slow then get fast?
What are your thoughts on swim toys, i.e. fins, hand paddles, that sort of thing?  I use a pool buoy and a kick board, but wasn't sure about the rest.

Well wishes to all this week!

mG

Build does mean start slow and get faster! If it's a long swim, like a 400, it's often build by 100 (so: 100 easy, 100 medium/easy, 100 medium, 100 hard). For short swims, just keep going faster!

Pool toys are great. Things like fins and paddles can help your form. Try them out and see what you think!
2010-10-11 11:29 AM
in reply to: #3143342

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Morpheus - 2010-10-09 9:29 PM I just found this site after I completed my first HIM in Branson.  I used a full distance plan to get ready for it.   I was disappointed with my run in Branson, so signed up for Austin next Sunday.    After I complete that I may look at the plan here.  I found ST first and pretty much just lurked due to the back lash of asking a newbie questions.  It's good to see a forum that I may not be flamed for asking something simple i.e. terminology questions (FTP, TP, etc). 

Welcome to BT! You can ask questions here, of course. You can also ask in Tri Talk and I promise you will not have the experience that most have on ST.
Good luck at Austin and make sure you come back and let us know how it went.

2010-10-11 2:12 PM

User image

I know this is probably a silly thing to ask: Are swim buddies allowed in HIM?

Edited by Mellissa 2010-10-11 4:21 PM
2010-10-12 12:03 AM

Subject: Longtime Lurker, Firsttime Poster

Hello everyone.

At a ripe-ish age, I'm being organised to do my first Tri.  I've stayed fit all my life, but the swim is where I'm lacking technique and knowledge.

Technique will come with training: the knowledge I need now.....

Having picked up this training plan, and read it right through, I need a couple of questions answered, please:

First of all, could someone tell me what is meant in the swim sessions by, say, 8x100. The plan gives me a target RPE, but no indication of how long to rest between each hundred. What is the aim here?

Secondly, I can't find where a 'tempo' run is explained. (I found it once....) What is the difference between a tempo run and the 'strides' that come earlier in the program.

Thanks for listening.

P

2010-10-12 7:18 AM
in reply to: #3145540

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Mellissa - 2010-10-11 2:12 PM I know this is probably a silly thing to ask: Are swim buddies allowed in HIM?

Nothing is silly to ask - this is BEGINNER Triathlete! Unfortunately, I have never heard of a HIM that allowed swim buddies.

2010-10-12 7:31 AM
in reply to: #3146446

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: Longtime Lurker, Firsttime Poster
Malua Bay - 2010-10-12 12:03 AM

Hello everyone.

At a ripe-ish age, I'm being organised to do my first Tri.  I've stayed fit all my life, but the swim is where I'm lacking technique and knowledge.

Technique will come with training: the knowledge I need now.....

Having picked up this training plan, and read it right through, I need a couple of questions answered, please:

First of all, could someone tell me what is meant in the swim sessions by, say, 8x100. The plan gives me a target RPE, but no indication of how long to rest between each hundred. What is the aim here?

Secondly, I can't find where a 'tempo' run is explained. (I found it once....) What is the difference between a tempo run and the 'strides' that come earlier in the program.

Thanks for listening.

P

Welcome to the forum! I am glad you are taking the plunge to not only do a triathlon, but to join in the discussions here!
For the running workouts, a tempo run is where the majority of the run is spent in a higher RPE rather than just in short bursts in a strides run. You are running at a steady pace at a higher intensity instead of low intensity mixed with 20-30 second bursts of high intensity.
For the swimming, rest enough that your form doesn't fall apart but not too long! If you are going at an easy pace, you may only need 10 seconds of rest, bit if you are new to the sport or going at a fast pace you may need 30 seconds or even a minute!
2010-10-12 1:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
I just imported this HIM plan into my training log, but only starting in April (for an HIM in August).  I was just looking through, and had a question about the swim workouts... the plan, on day 1, calls for a 40min swim workout, but the workout (including wu and cd) is 2500m!  Is the 40min allotted for the main body of the workout only (1500m)? 
2010-10-12 11:57 PM
in reply to: #3147783

User image

Melon Presser
Wooden Bell - 2010-10-13 2:57 AM I just imported this HIM plan into my training log, but only starting in April (for an HIM in August).  I was just looking through, and had a question about the swim workouts... the plan, on day 1, calls for a 40min swim workout, but the workout (including wu and cd) is 2500m!  Is the 40min allotted for the main body of the workout only (1500m)? 

There's plenty of discrepancies between the swim workouts and minutes. I'd do the distance.
2010-10-13 12:02 AM

User image

Melon Presser
It's a little heartbreaking, but I've been here before, so I'm keeping my spirits up and doing whatever I can!

I've been paid and well underway training for three iron races when I had to change plans. This time I switched to the Asia-Pacific 70.3 Championships. Unfortunately, I've been really derailed with a nasty tropical virus that's just been ID'd as chikungunya (Swahili for 'up the creek w/o a paddle,' I think, haha), and it doesn't look like I'll be back in stride for another few weeks, and I'll be starting from scratch at that point. I'll just have to see.

I'm still excited about all of your journeys and will be checking back in on this thread from time to time to see how you all are doing and if I have anything worthwhile to add. GOOD LUCK!!!
2010-10-13 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3148783

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
Swift healing. Those dang nasty tropical viruses!

TriAya - 2010-10-12 10:02 PM It's a little heartbreaking, but I've been here before, so I'm keeping my spirits up and doing whatever I can!

I've been paid and well underway training for three iron races when I had to change plans. This time I switched to the Asia-Pacific 70.3 Championships. Unfortunately, I've been really derailed with a nasty tropical virus that's just been ID'd as chikungunya (Swahili for 'up the creek w/o a paddle,' I think, haha), and it doesn't look like I'll be back in stride for another few weeks, and I'll be starting from scratch at that point. I'll just have to see.

I'm still excited about all of your journeys and will be checking back in on this thread from time to time to see how you all are doing and if I have anything worthwhile to add. GOOD LUCK!!!

2010-10-13 6:15 PM

User image

TriAya, hope you recover soon and continue to mentor, inspire, and advise the rest of us!

On a different note, I got up today and finally felt like I can do this-even without being able to afford coaches, lessons, etc. I just need a good support system Laughing
2010-10-14 3:42 PM
in reply to: #3150639

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Mellissa - 2010-10-13 6:15 PM TriAya, hope you recover soon and continue to mentor, inspire, and advise the rest of us!

On a different note, I got up today and finally felt like I can do this-even without being able to afford coaches, lessons, etc. I just need a good support system Laughing

Heck yeah!
2010-10-14 6:47 PM
in reply to: #3152819

User image

Easton, PA
Hi all - I'm new to BT and tri's in general.  Running has been my thing for awhile, I like to do road races here and there for motivation.  I did my first HM in fall 2009 and am doing my first marathon next month - NYC!  I decided to branch out into tri's this year to keep things interesting and did my first this past Aug., a sprint distance, and loved it! 

I'd like to do another sprint early in the season next year and then an oly or two, but I am intrigued by the HIM.  There is one near me in the Poconos next Oct. and I'm thinking - a whole year to train, I could surely be ready by then!  What do y'all think, is it too ambitious for a newbie?

The other thing that concerns me is the expense - $275 for one race!  The hubby is not totally down with racing expenses, and our budget is fairly tight with three kids and one income (mine.)  Still, I love that at the age of 35 I can do this stuff, it makes me feel young and like my best years are ahead of me.  I don't wanna give that up!  Any tips for navigating the financial part of getting into this sport?

Tiffany
2010-10-15 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3153119

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
twalker0475 - 2010-10-14 7:47 PM Hi all - I'm new to BT and tri's in general.  Running has been my thing for awhile, I like to do road races here and there for motivation.  I did my first HM in fall 2009 and am doing my first marathon next month - NYC!  I decided to branch out into tri's this year to keep things interesting and did my first this past Aug., a sprint distance, and loved it! 

I'd like to do another sprint early in the season next year and then an oly or two, but I am intrigued by the HIM.  There is one near me in the Poconos next Oct. and I'm thinking - a whole year to train, I could surely be ready by then!  What do y'all think, is it too ambitious for a newbie?

The other thing that concerns me is the expense - $275 for one race!  The hubby is not totally down with racing expenses, and our budget is fairly tight with three kids and one income (mine.)  Still, I love that at the age of 35 I can do this stuff, it makes me feel young and like my best years are ahead of me.  I don't wanna give that up!  Any tips for navigating the financial part of getting into this sport?

Tiffany

Hi Tiffany, and welcome.  I'm a Tri-nubbie as well and your story sounds just like mine!  I'm a marathoner and am looking to Tris as a way to keep things interesting.  I think your plan is just fine.  I'd suggest you build up your running/biking/swimming endurance over the winter/spring and then start the BT training plan (20 weeks) for your HIM. 

I hear 'ya on the costs as well... my wife isn't a big fan, but thankfully we're DINKs so we can swing it.  Take a look at some non-IM branded races in your area as well.  There seems to be a bunch of good "local" stuff that isn't as expensive.  Maybe you can use a few of those as training/B races and you make the HIM your A race.

BTW good luck at the NYC marathon!  I tried to get in but just ended up donating my $11 lottery entry fee.  Oh well maybe next year!
2010-10-16 8:21 PM

Expert
Hey Everyone!

I'm new to BT and am really excited to get in to the loop and chat with some other present and future triathletes!  I'm 21 years old, grew up in NYC and DC and am in my final year of undergrad in new orleans. Have always been an athlete but have made a ton of lifestyle changes and promises to myself in terms of fitness that i have honored over the last year, and this is a big step and is very very important to me.

I'm 6'2", 195lbs, and have played collegiate squash for 4 years (tennis in high school).  I have been trying to make steps in the right direction towards tri-training for about a month.  2 days a week of strength training, a mid and a long dist swim, 2 spinning classes or 2 long bike rides, and 2 runs each week.  The swimming and biking have been great but the running has been a bit of a problem as I get pretty bad shin splints that haven't subsided despite doctors appts/stretches/shoes and what have you.  I got a comprehensive gait analysis and had a sports medicine appointment and got some custom tailored soles and shoes and running instructions, and i have run two days and about 10 mi shin splint free!!! I'm so excited to finally start in the right direction.

I am running the lonestar 70.3 in Galveston Island, TX in April and am solo as of now.  I'm also, for my dads 60th bday, running the Midnight Sun Marathon in June in norway, so I've got a lot of training to do.  My girlfriend said she would come cheer me on but i'd love someone to run with, or at least train with.  Anyhoo, I think my distances are almost there on swimming and biking, but need to get running much much much better.    Looking forward to being part of the community!! 

2010-10-17 8:49 AM

User image

Expert
Boston

Hello everyone.   I had hoped to be in full swing by now but at the beginning of the month I think I had giardasis from swimming in the pond.  And now I find myself unemployed with all the time in the world and I find I am going thru this unwinding process with little energy to even start.   I am hoping by the end of next week that I find my spirit and motivation again!  

2010-10-17 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3156310

User image

Seren - 2010-10-17 8:49 AM

Hello everyone.   I had hoped to be in full swing by now but at the beginning of the month I think I had giardasis from swimming in the pond.  And now I find myself unemployed with all the time in the world and I find I am going thru this unwinding process with little energy to even start.   I am hoping by the end of next week that I find my spirit and motivation again!  

Being unemployed with time to train and no motivation (not to mention no cash flow) sucks. I've been out of work since February but you'll get back into a groove!
2010-10-17 9:47 PM

Plainview, NY
Another week in the books, onward to recovery week! 

Lessons learned from Week 7:  The nutritional component is becoming much more important now.  I could get away with a night off from good food earlier in the plan, but if I'm finding that my body needs the better stuff more consistently these last two weeks and if I don't fuel up properly, it shows in my workouts the next day or two.  Also, the cooler temps make it less obvious that hydration is so important, but it remains critical for my performance.  On the roads, my right foot gave me some trouble this week, though only late into the long run.  Maybe one of my more medically-knowledgeable friends out here might have some insight on that...  I might get one or two more outdoor bike sessions, but the forecast is telling me that it's indoor time until I move south.  I did try paddles and fins in the pool this week, and had some interesting results.  Sure enough, I was about two minutes faster per 500m, and I certainly noticed a difference in overall swim stroke immediately after using each.  There is much potential speed through form using these new tools. 

Looking to the recovery week, this will be helpful to work form in the water and rest the feet.  I'm loving what I'm able to do when compared to beginning the HIM plan.

Have a great week all, and we'll see you again next weekned!

mG
2010-10-18 11:42 AM
in reply to: #3153119

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
twalker0475 - 2010-10-14 6:47 PM Hi all - I'm new to BT and tri's in general.  Running has been my thing for awhile, I like to do road races here and there for motivation.  I did my first HM in fall 2009 and am doing my first marathon next month - NYC!  I decided to branch out into tri's this year to keep things interesting and did my first this past Aug., a sprint distance, and loved it! 

Tiffany

Welcome to BT, Tiffany. I think you will be ok with the HIM in October since you have a sports background. However, I also as a coach love to see people taking their time getting into triathlon and not building up too quickly. It's entirely up to you how you approach the sport, taking into account how much free time and motivation you have.
As far as money goes, perhaps you and your hubby can set a triathlon budget for the year that is agreed on ahead of time. It is an expensive sport! If you can, choose a non-70.3 branded event and perhaps curtail your shorter distance racing to make up for the cost of the big race. One sprint and one Oly leading up to your HIM may not be as much as you wish you could race, but it is enough as far as prep goes and will allow you to focus instead on training for your "A" race, the HIM.
2010-10-18 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3156060

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
JG_GreenCoast - 2010-10-16 8:21 PM Hey Everyone!

I'm new to BT and am really excited to get in to the loop and chat with some other present and future triathletes!  I'm 21 years old, grew up in NYC and DC and am in my final year of undergrad in new orleans. Have always been an athlete but have made a ton of lifestyle changes and promises to myself in terms of fitness that i have honored over the last year, and this is a big step and is very very important to me.

I'm 6'2", 195lbs, and have played collegiate squash for 4 years (tennis in high school).  I have been trying to make steps in the right direction towards tri-training for about a month.  2 days a week of strength training, a mid and a long dist swim, 2 spinning classes or 2 long bike rides, and 2 runs each week.  The swimming and biking have been great but the running has been a bit of a problem as I get pretty bad shin splints that haven't subsided despite doctors appts/stretches/shoes and what have you.  I got a comprehensive gait analysis and had a sports medicine appointment and got some custom tailored soles and shoes and running instructions, and i have run two days and about 10 mi shin splint free!!! I'm so excited to finally start in the right direction.

I am running the lonestar 70.3 in Galveston Island, TX in April and am solo as of now.  I'm also, for my dads 60th bday, running the Midnight Sun Marathon in June in norway, so I've got a lot of training to do.  My girlfriend said she would come cheer me on but i'd love someone to run with, or at least train with.  Anyhoo, I think my distances are almost there on swimming and biking, but need to get running much much much better.    Looking forward to being part of the community!! 

Welcome!! We are happy to have you here on BT. Make sure to check your state forum here (LA). You may find others to train with there.
When will you be starting to use the BT Half Ironman Training Plan? Sounds like you are on the right track with building up your volume.

2010-10-18 11:47 AM
in reply to: #3156310

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Seren - 2010-10-17 8:49 AM

Motivation comes and goes. Don't beat yourself up when the motivation isn't there. Don't feel guilty. Just work on getting the motivation back by remembering what you are trying to accomplish. You can do it!
2010-10-18 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3157080

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
pitman80 - 2010-10-17 9:47 PM Another week in the books, onward to recovery week! 

Lessons learned from Week 7:  The nutritional component is becoming much more important now.  I could get away with a night off from good food earlier in the plan, but if I'm finding that my body needs the better stuff more consistently these last two weeks and if I don't fuel up properly, it shows in my workouts the next day or two.  Also, the cooler temps make it less obvious that hydration is so important, but it remains critical for my performance.  On the roads, my right foot gave me some trouble this week, though only late into the long run.  Maybe one of my more medically-knowledgeable friends out here might have some insight on that...  I might get one or two more outdoor bike sessions, but the forecast is telling me that it's indoor time until I move south.  I did try paddles and fins in the pool this week, and had some interesting results.  Sure enough, I was about two minutes faster per 500m, and I certainly noticed a difference in overall swim stroke immediately after using each.  There is much potential speed through form using these new tools. 

Looking to the recovery week, this will be helpful to work form in the water and rest the feet.  I'm loving what I'm able to do when compared to beginning the HIM plan.

Have a great week all, and we'll see you again next weekned!

mG

Thanks for the update! Happy to hear things are going well. Where does your foot hurt?
2010-10-18 3:58 PM

Plainview, NY
Tri Take Me Away,

The pain is only one the outside of my right foot, and doesn't really manifest until after 6 or 7 miles on the ground.  My current kicks only have about 162 and some change miles, not low but not gone yet, and both shoes still have pretty good tread on em.  Pain lasts about 30 hours, tapering off the whole way.  Ice helps, and wearing really soft shoes helps as well afterwards.  Kind of a weird one.  Ran a few this afternoon, no worry at all.  It's a little worrisome getting into longer distance.  A friend thought it might be loose quick laces, so I've tightened everything back up, we'll see this week.  Any ideas?

mG
2010-10-18 6:20 PM

User image

Expert
San Jose
I posted this on the 'injury' forum and haven't has any responses so I thought I'd try here! I looking for some advice and hopefully positive thoughts 

I ran the Disney 1/2 in early September. For the first time after a run or a race, both of my calves really tightened up. I stretched and they seemed to get better. 

I kept running and did the San Jose Rock n Roll 1/2 in early October. They tightened up a bit but not as much as after Disney. 

Since then they've just been feeling a bit tight after every run. I went out this morning just for a short 3 mile run and a mile into it I started getting a pain (it felt different than a cramp) that was bad enough to stop running and I walked home. I'm icing it and planning on stretching and rolling. Other than normal soreness, this is the first real 'injury' I've had.

I have a Turkey Trot and the Vegas 1/2 still coming up this year and I'm planning for my first 1/2 IM next year so this is frustrating!

I'm not sure what else to do?
Thanks,
Johanne
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150