BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-01-04 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3276564

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Subject: RE: BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED

Mike_D - 2011-01-04 11:20 AM
otisbrown - 2011-01-04 8:59 AM Thank you all for the positive support.  
It looks like everyone is doing well on their TT and I look forward to see everyone's progress at the end of this month.  

I did my first swim session this morning and I feel it went rather well.  It gave me a good idea of where I stand with swimming, which was my goal and best of all I didn't drown.  Wink 
Thursday AM I will do my first cycling session tand after that I will complete my training plan and share with everyone.  

Good luck w/ it!! Not drowning is a good first result from swimming Can't wait to see the plan! I need to get my act together w/ planning 2011....may be a good post topic...

A word of advice on the season planning - take it easy.  I have been over ambitious on setting up a season and paying the entry fees well in advance and then, for one reason or another, not doing the race.  I suggest researching the races you want to do and see if they sell out early or not.  The downfall to that is most races give you discounts if you sign up early.  If money is no object, then ignore this post. 

2011-01-04 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3276587

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Boston Beginner - 2011-01-04 10:24 AM

It looks like everyone is doing well on their TT and I look forward to see everyone's progress at the end of this month.  

I did my first swim session this morning and I feel it went rather well.  It gave me a good idea of where I stand with swimming, which was my goal and best of all I didn't drown.  Wink 
Thursday AM I will do my first cycling session tand after that I will complete my training plan and share with everyone.  

Good luck w/ it!! Not drowning is a good first result from swimming Can't wait to see the plan! I need to get my act together w/ planning 2011....may be a good post topic...

A word of advice on the season planning - take it easy.  I have been over ambitious on setting up a season and paying the entry fees well in advance and then, for one reason or another, not doing the race.  I suggest researching the races you want to do and see if they sell out early or not.  The downfall to that is most races give you discounts if you sign up early.  If money is no object, then ignore this post. 

2011-01-04 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3276587

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Come on, Josh! There's more than 9 months to Kona! Plenty of time!

Edited by Mike_D 2011-01-04 2:45 PM
2011-01-04 4:55 PM
in reply to: #3277425

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Mike_D - 2011-01-04 3:45 PM

Come on, Josh! There's more than 9 months to Kona! Plenty of time!
Just so you know, I don't have any room at my house when your wife kicks you out.
2011-01-04 7:43 PM
in reply to: #3256072

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Couldn't drag myself to the gym this AM, but did stop at the pool on the way home.  Took my time and worked on some drills and swimming easy.  I'm getting much more comfortable in the water / could actually keep my arm extended while breathing today.  Long way to go, but optimistic that it's getting better.
2011-01-04 9:17 PM
in reply to: #3278125

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

croixfan - 2011-01-04 8:43 PM Couldn't drag myself to the gym this AM, but did stop at the pool on the way home.  Took my time and worked on some drills and swimming easy.  I'm getting much more comfortable in the water / could actually keep my arm extended while breathing today.  Long way to go, but optimistic that it's getting better.

Excellent.  I never did drills when I first started.  I highly recommend to get a pull buoy and paddles to do drills.  You can really focus on pulling, elbow height, and breathing when your legs are in a good, balanced placement.  

2011-01-04 9:31 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Croix- Good job getting in the pool I haven't been there in a long long time myself. I have a lot of trouble really pushing myself in the water when I'm on my own. I'm looking to get back into it regularly in Feb. Plan is to sign my son up for swim lessons and do laps during his lesson. This worked great last spring because I couldn't make excuses. I had to be there for my son's lesson 2x a week, so I might as well swim. Once the summer comes around and my schedule frees up, I'll start going back to masters' classes.

I was suppose to go running with Jamie today, but she canceled last minute. Luckly, I was already dressed in my running clothes, so that helped me get out th door on my own. I took my 3 year old with me in the jogging stroller. He's like a drill sargent. I started walking when we were going up a hill and he yelled, "No, I want running. Fast running." Did a short 3 miles. Looking to run with Jamie tomorrow, prob 5-6 miles.  
2011-01-04 9:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia
I went back to running tonight after a full week of rest and that was not good Frown
Still the ITBand problem so I will give up on Miami right now... Too close, not enough time to recover... a little bit disapointed as I was doing great on the training but what can I do ? Nothing else...
anyway, I won't do the challenge on running this month (obviously) but I will try to do something on swimming and/or biking.
I'll see depending on my mood... 
2011-01-05 6:10 AM
in reply to: #3278342

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
playmobil31 - 2011-01-04 9:34 PM I went back to running tonight after a full week of rest and that was not good Frown
Still the ITBand problem so I will give up on Miami right now... Too close, not enough time to recover... a little bit disapointed as I was doing great on the training but what can I do ? Nothing else...
anyway, I won't do the challenge on running this month (obviously) but I will try to do something on swimming and/or biking.

Sorry to hear this! A drag to be sure. Look forward to seeing you on the swim/bike challenges!
2011-01-05 8:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
playmobil31 - 2011-01-04 9:34 PM I went back to running tonight after a full week of rest and that was not good Frown

I’m so sorry Alex… Having set yourself a goal and not being able to reach it because of something that is out of your control must be very frustrating.  I know the feeling LOL.  I’m right there with you.  Cheer up though!  There are other races and you will kick but then!  Laughing

Edited by itziaol 2011-01-09 10:48 PM
2011-01-05 8:17 AM
in reply to: #3278125

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
croixfan - 2011-01-04 8:43 PM Couldn't drag myself to the gym this AM, but did stop at the pool on the way home.  Took my time and worked on some drills and swimming easy.  I'm getting much more comfortable in the water / could actually keep my arm extended while breathing today.  Long way to go, but optimistic that it's getting better.

Curt,

What kind of drills did you do?  Do you have any  links to sites with drills you can share?

2011-01-05 8:19 AM

Veteran
Sorry to hear about your injuries. When I had PF last summer I was bummed as well because I had planned to race in the Crim and Detroit Half. If there is ny best time to recover, I guess it would be now instead of during race season. Good Luck!

On another note, legs are feeling it today after hard workout yeasterday. I am starting to feel better and appetite is slowly coming back. Weighed in at 267 this morning, which is the same as when I started working out. I cut out all snacks after 8pm and it seems to be going well. Trying to convince the wife we don't need swiss cake rolls, potatoe chips, other garbage not good for us. Now I just need to cut out pop, but the headaches are killing me.
2011-01-05 9:38 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

playmobil31 - 2011-01-04 10:34 PM I went back to running tonight after a full week of rest and that was not good Frown

Sorry buddy.  That sucks.  But, like you said, gives you an opportunity to work on some other things.  That's the great thing about trying to get better at 3 sports, you still have a couple to turn to when you can't do one for a while.  Heal up quickly.  I haven't had any ITB issues (knock on wood), but I hear ART therapy works wonders. 

2011-01-05 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3278969

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

crlarner - 2011-01-05 9:19 AM Sorry to hear about your injuries. When I had PF last summer I was bummed as well because I had planned to race in the Crim and Detroit Half. If there is ny best time to recover, I guess it would be now instead of during race season. Good Luck!

On another note, legs are feeling it today after hard workout yeasterday. I am starting to feel better and appetite is slowly coming back. Weighed in at 267 this morning, which is the same as when I started working out. I cut out all snacks after 8pm and it seems to be going well. Trying to convince the wife we don't need swiss cake rolls, potatoe chips, other garbage not good for us. Now I just need to cut out pop, but the headaches are killing me.

Cut out the pop (which I assume you mean soda) and the weight will drop off.  The sugar content in that stuff is mind blowing.  The headaches will go away.

2011-01-05 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3278969

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
crlarner - 2011-01-05 9:19 AM Sorry to hear about your injuries. When I had PF last summer I was bummed as well because I had planned to race in the Crim and Detroit Half. If there is ny best time to recover, I guess it would be now instead of during race season. Good Luck!

Fruits are a good substitute for the sugary snacks.  The selection may dwindle over the winter months, but apples and bananas are almost always available and are some of my staples.  
2011-01-05 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Josh thanks for the 5K TT challenge.  Just completed on a very hilly and some down hill course out and back.  Was shooting for a 9:45 pace.  Instead I did a 9:07pace for a 28:19 a new PR.  My last 5K race was last year on a flat course and I wasn't able to break a 10:00 pace. 

2011-01-05 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3279696

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

utahrunner - 2011-01-05 12:52 PM Josh thanks for the 5K TT challenge.  Just completed on a very hilly and some down hill course out and back.  Was shooting for a 9:45 pace.  Instead I did a 9:07pace for a 28:19 a new PR.  My last 5K race was last year on a flat course and I wasn't able to break a 10:00 pace. 

Awesome job.  I take full credit.   I can't wait to see what it is at the end of the month.

2011-01-05 12:23 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
That kicks a**!! Awesome job!
2011-01-05 2:46 PM
in reply to: #3279771

South Central PA
Nice work utahrunner!
2011-01-05 3:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
utahrunner - 2011-01-05 11:52 AM Josh thanks for the 5K TT challenge.  Just completed on a very hilly and some down hill course out and back.  Was shooting for a 9:45 pace.  Instead I did a 9:07pace for a 28:19 a new PR.  My last 5K race was last year on a flat course and I wasn't able to break a 10:00 pace. 

Wow!  Congratulations Sterling!  Smile
2011-01-05 3:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
utahrunner - 2011-01-05 12:52 PM Josh thanks for the 5K TT challenge.  Just completed on a very hilly and some down hill course out and back.  Was shooting for a 9:45 pace.  Instead I did a 9:07pace for a 28:19 a new PR.  My last 5K race was last year on a flat course and I wasn't able to break a 10:00 pace. 

Well done!! Laughing 

2011-01-05 7:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ

I have a few questions about bike training.  What does spinning mean?  To me all motion on a bike is spinning.  So what is meant by the term? 
Also when using the stationary bike what level should it be set to or how do you determine the appropriate level?

2011-01-05 7:52 PM
in reply to: #3278965

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
otisbrown - 2011-01-05 8:17 AM

Curt,

What kind of drills did you do?  Do you have any  links to sites with drills you can share?

Marcus I've got 3 different TI videos -- Freestyle, 10 Lessons, and Breathing + the book (have a fourth video on open water swimming that I have yet to watch).  They start you with "superman gliding" -- just pushing off with your arms extended.  Then they move to "skating" where you have an arm extende, the other back on your hip, and "off" your stomach (think of the body at 45 degrees).  Then they work on having you "roll" to where you have your face up in what they call "sweet spot" where you grab a breath.  The basic ideas of the early drills are to teach you how to relax and get balanced in the water.  It's hard to do them justice / the video works really well.  Of the videos, I think the 10 Lessons one is the best.  However, they're each about $20-$30 so I'd encourage you to watch them.

Prior to last year I'd never swam -- I could survive, but first time in the pool I could not make 25 yards.  I still am a very poor swimmer; HOWEVER, I'm getting there and my self-confidence is improving with each passing day.  One thing I have found is that this is not a linear process.  Last year I actually took some lessons and after four weeks I could NOT swim -- bizarre, but true.  A few weeks later it came back.  I've also noticed that you experience moments where you "get it".  These are the times where you feel balanced, you rotate your body to generate a ton of power, and breathing is effortless.  At first they come infrequently.  With time, they have gotten more and more common (I can actually go all out for 25 meters/yards now and feel like this!).

I've also noticed that swimming's a lot like golf.  The harder you try, the worse it goes.  You need to do the opposite of what you think (push down on your chest to float).  And great times are followed by terrible.  That said, we need to realize we are not pros and relax and enjoy the experience.

Hope some of this helps.  Feel free to drop me a PM if you have something specific or toss the thoughts out here and we can all see how we might be able to help.

2011-01-05 7:59 PM

Veteran

lol. Spinning is an a## kicker stationary bike routine lead by a trainer that is built by a brick-s##t house that tells you you are not working hard enough and you need to increase the tension on the bike you pansy! No, seriously, it is a class workout routine that involves intervals on a special kind of stationary bike. It is set to music, usually techno, and it is a pretty good workout. You work your tail off.

2011-01-05 8:17 PM
in reply to: #3280880

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
croixfan - 2011-01-05 7:52 PM
otisbrown - 2011-01-05 8:17 AM

Curt,

Prior to last year I'd never swam -- I could survive, but first time in the pool I could not make 25 yards.  I still am a very poor swimmer; HOWEVER, I'm getting there and my self-confidence is improving with each passing day.  One thing I have found is that this is not a linear process.  Last year I actually took some lessons and after four weeks I could NOT swim -- bizarre, but true.  A few weeks later it came back.  I've also noticed that you experience moments where you "get it".  These are the times where you feel balanced, you rotate your body to generate a ton of power, and breathing is effortless.  At first they come infrequently.  With time, they have gotten more and more common (I can actually go all out for 25 meters/yards now and feel like this!).

I've also noticed that swimming's a lot like golf.  The harder you try, the worse it goes.  You need to do the opposite of what you think (push down on your chest to float).  And great times are followed by terrible.  That said, we need to realize we are not pros and relax and enjoy the experience.

^^  THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS -- Excellent post -- as good as anything I've read on BT about starting to swim. I've just started as well (july 2010) and agree with the above completely. My "A-ha!" moments have come in the last 6-8 weeks, and its amazing how one day you feel like you can just keep going and going. The golf analogy is spot on.

Keep at it - it will come, and you'll be finding those moments where it all clicks.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38