BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri808's Spring Pot Luck (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2010-12-29 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3266266

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: tri808's Spring Pot Luck (CLOSED)
LOL!!! 66 degrees in Hawaii must have people in sweatshirts and coats.  Up here, if it got to that temp this time of year people wold be in shorts and tank tops or no shirt.  It's supposed to 48 Friday here.  That will be extremely warm for the way it has been for the past month.

...........MUST...REFRAIN...FROM...COOKIES!!!!..........LOL  I need to follow this mantra too.

The trainer is the only way I can ride this time of year.  I have no winter cycling gear at all.  I have ridden when it was in the upper 40's and it gets real cold with the wind.  I decided not to do that anymore.  My feet get numb and my face gets too cold.  I figure I will hammer the trainer over the winter and see what happens when the season opens up.

I got my last hard swim of my vacation done this morning.  3550 yds. with the main set being 10x100 on 1:40.  I was landing on 1:20 for the first 5 reps but as I worked my way through the set I was landing on 1:25 and really suckin wind.  It was a good workout and a tough one to boot.  It was my light swim yesterday that gave me the ability today to complete this one.  If I had went hard yesterday I would have been crying like a kindergartner before this one was done.

I will ride this afternoon.........yes.......on the drainer again.

2010-12-29 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3256440

User image

Those are some awesome swim sets posted today!  

Thanks for the info on shifting, can't believe you were able to get off the bike in time.

After waking up before dawn to pick up my niece I was able to get my longest ride in yet (11.5 miles, for me that's the longest I've ever been and the longest ride this bike has been on).  The chain will not stay in 4th gear.  I'm going to have to take it into my LBS to see why.  The wind died down today so it wasn't too bad.  The hill at the very end though was tough!  I plan on getting a run in tomorrow.

I skipped the coke and lunch and opted for a low sugar cranberry/pomegranate drink. Smile

Off to shower and nap while the little one is napping!

Edited by swimmindy 2010-12-29 1:19 PM
2010-12-29 2:08 PM

User image

Coastal Carolina
Ok now I just have to make it to the pool...  Bike might be out longer than I expected needs new pads and rear cassette.

Only reason I made it out this morning is because I never lie to the dog and I told him we were going running...
2010-12-29 2:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Thanks so much for all the advice.  Yes, there are two bicycle shops within 30 miles.  One is where I bought my bike although now I regret buying it there instead of the other one.  I went to one where it is a more instructional bike shop but there weren't many bikes there.  So a week later I checked out the other store in a different town and they had lots of bikes.  I was shown a bike that I liked and instead of waiting and going back to the other store, I went ahead and bought my bike from this bike shop.  The shop has been around for a long time, but the owner's daughter just didn't seem as knowledgeable as the other guy in the other bike shop.  I would like to go to the other shop for better instruction, but would be embarassed to do so since I didn't buy my stuff there.  So, I will go back to the shop where I purchased my bike to see if I can get more help. 

Now, what I really need to do is get down to some training.  I need to go to bed earlier so I can get up earlier to run or ride the bike.  In the evenings, I either train in martial arts or my class so I have got to change gears and make a plan.
2010-12-29 2:22 PM

User image

I wouldn't be ashamed of going to any bike shop...even if I didn't buy my bike there.  Bike shops traditionally make very little money off the sale of a bike...they make all their profits on selling accessories, maintenance, etc.

If they are rude to you because you didn't buy a bike from them...they probably wouldn't be in business.  Personally...I've bought a bike from one shop, and actually took it to a different shop to get re-fitted.  They had no problem and treated me just the same as everyone else.

If you are just in there to ask questions...throw them a bone.  Buy some gels, some extra tubes, etc...the stuff you are going to need anyway.

Edited by tri808 2010-12-29 2:24 PM
2010-12-29 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3266629

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
I wouldn't be ashamed of going to any bike shop...even if I didn't buy my bike there.  Bike shops traditionally make very little money off the sale of a bike...they make all their profits on selling accessories, maintenance, etc.

Really?  Well, thanks.  The guy in the first bike shop actually did say that the goal was to have people come back and buy a helmet or tires, etc.  The only things I purchased from the second bike shop was the bike, a helmet, and a tire repair kit that fit under the bike seat.  What other things are really necessary for your first tri?  I don't want to purchase stuff that I don't really need until I find out whether or not this is something I am going to do regularly.

2010-12-29 3:21 PM

User image

As far as the bike...the only things I feel are required are

Helmet
Spare tubes and a frame pump or CO2 (sometimes you will flat that a patch kit can't fix)
Multi-tool
Saddle bag to hold your tubes and other things
Bike or tri shorts

The nice to haves include
Bike jersey
Floor pump
Clipless pedals and bike shoes
Lights
Computer
Gloves
2010-12-29 3:49 PM
in reply to: #3266771

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

Are bike and tri shorts similar?  What makes them better then regular running shorts or workout gear?   

2010-12-29 3:53 PM
in reply to: #3266810

User image

luv2bhealthy - 2010-12-29 10:49 AM

Are bike and tri shorts similar?  What makes them better then regular running shorts or workout gear?   

Bike shorts have a thicker padding.  Tri shorts have a very thin pad that doesn't retain much water and is also much more comfortable to run in.  Running in bike shorts can cause some nasty chaffing.

I actually prefer tri shorts over bike shorts...even if I'm just biking.  There are some others that feel the same way.  But there is nothing wrong with using bike shorts to just bike, running shorts to just run, a swimming suit to just swim...then using tri shorts any time you're doing a tri...or maybe doing a combination of the two in training.
2010-12-29 3:57 PM
in reply to: #3266816

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
I actually prefer tri shorts over bike shorts

OK, so tri shorts would make sense to purchase if I can bike and run in those after doing the swim.  Yes, that is the kind of advice a total newbie like me needs!
2010-12-29 5:58 PM
in reply to: #3266822

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
luv2bhealthy - 2010-12-29 4:57 PM I actually prefer tri shorts over bike shorts

OK, so tri shorts would make sense to purchase if I can bike and run in those after doing the swim.  Yes, that is the kind of advice a total newbie like me needs!

LOL  Keep the questions coming.  Thats what the groups all about.  I had many of the same questions but I didn't have a mentor group to go to at first.  I just perused the other forums and waited for others to ask what I needed to hear myself.

I need the bike bike shorts for riding!  My wife tells me I have no butt and I can def tell because my sit bones are hard on the seat during my rides.  Toward the end of some of my longer rides all I have been able to think about is getting out of the saddle.  I have ridden up to 52 miles and without the proper gear I would be in sorry shape.

I have ridden 2 oly races, almost 25 miles, in tri shorts and have been okay.  But only okay!  My backside can't take to long without more padding.  I am actually considering using a gel seat pad for racing but I will probably work the pain out.

Speaking of shorts though,  Does anyone have a recommendation for some good shorts at a decent price and where to get them?  The shorts I usually wear are nearly shot.

2010-12-29 6:07 PM

User image

I wait for sales online or big in store sales.  I refuse to pay retail price for tri or bike shorts.

I've used Craft and Pearl Izumi bike shorts, and Zoot and Desoto tri shorts and all have worked well fo rme.  The Craft bike shorts would not be my first choice for longer rides...but I got them the cheapest...about $30.
2010-12-29 6:47 PM

User image

Coastal Carolina
Agreed on the bike shorts, I ride 40 hours a week plus whatever else I might need to do at work and I only wear compression shorts but my partner swears by his bike shorts with the extra padding, it's all about feel, buy 1 of each and see what you prefer then sell the other.

Speaking of gear for a bike any suggestions on pedals?  I want to go clipless but have no idea what/how to purchase, we only use the "power grip" style at work so kind of over my head looking at choices
2010-12-29 7:06 PM

User image

There are three parts to going clipless.  The pedal, the shoe, and the cleat.  The cleat is what attaches to your shoe, that locks into the pedal.  Different pedal designs require different cleats...so if you have multiple bikes and want to use the same shoes...it's best to get the same pedal design.  The cleat usually comes with the pedals when you buy them.

That being said...the main pedal designs for road/tri biking (the have different mountain biking pedal designs) include the Look Keos, Shimano SPD-SLs, and Speedplays.  The Look and Shimanos appear the same...but are slightly different.  They both are a "meatier" pedal with more surface area.  Speedplays are much smaller...think of a small, flat lollipop you would get from your dentist as a kid.  As for which one is best...it's hard to say.  Some people say speedplay's design is not good if you have knee problems.  Their cheapest version is also much more expensive than the cheapest Look or Shimano pedals.  There are some other brands that make pedals...and those are most likely Shimano compatible.

It takes some practice to get used to, but it's worth it.  I'm not sure if they will let you use them for work though.  You can't really run around in bike shoes with the cleat underneath unless you get the mountain bike type.  Even then though...it's still not meant to be run in and chasing bad guys. 
2010-12-29 7:29 PM
in reply to: #3267097

User image

Veteran
tri808 - 2010-12-29 6:06 PM There are three parts to going clipless.  The pedal, the shoe, and the cleat.  The cleat is what attaches to your shoe, that locks into the pedal.  Different pedal designs require different cleats...so if you have multiple bikes and want to use the same shoes...it's best to get the same pedal design.  The cleat usually comes with the pedals when you buy them.

That being said...the main pedal designs for road/tri biking (the have different mountain biking pedal designs) include the Look Keos, Shimano SPD-SLs, and Speedplays.  The Look and Shimanos appear the same...but are slightly different.  They both are a "meatier" pedal with more surface area.  Speedplays are much smaller...think of a small, flat lollipop you would get from your dentist as a kid.  As for which one is best...it's hard to say.  Some people say speedplay's design is not good if you have knee problems.  Their cheapest version is also much more expensive than the cheapest Look or Shimano pedals.  There are some other brands that make pedals...and those are most likely Shimano compatible.

It takes some practice to get used to, but it's worth it.  I'm not sure if they will let you use them for work though.  You can't really run around in bike shoes with the cleat underneath unless you get the mountain bike type.  Even then though...it's still not meant to be run in and chasing bad guys. 

I thought the speedplays were for people with bad knees because they have better free play, But I could be wrong.
2010-12-29 7:54 PM
in reply to: #3266662

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
luv2bhealthy - 2010-12-29 3:34 PM I wouldn't be ashamed of going to any bike shop...even if I didn't buy my bike there.  Bike shops traditionally make very little money off the sale of a bike...they make all their profits on selling accessories, maintenance, etc.

Really?  Well, thanks.  The guy in the first bike shop actually did say that the goal was to have people come back and buy a helmet or tires, etc.  The only things I purchased from the second bike shop was the bike, a helmet, and a tire repair kit that fit under the bike seat.  What other things are really necessary for your first tri?  I don't want to purchase stuff that I don't really need until I find out whether or not this is something I am going to do regularly.

I actually struggle with this myself but because my LBS wouldn't move on the price for the bike I wanted I drove to Indianapolis (after looking online and calling them) and bought there.  My LBS was trying to corner the market and I thought it was a crock, so somebody else got my business.  I ended up getting better road bike for the same money.  Anyway, I feel funny going in there and asking questions but I have to deal with them mostly since they are the biggest place near me.  I have told them what I did and the guy just shrugged.  I don't think he was being nasty, just didn't know what to say.  I am getting past this because they wouldn't work with me on pricing that bike so It's their loss.

2010-12-29 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3267125

User image

garrunning - 2010-12-29 2:29 PM I thought the speedplays were for people with bad knees because they have better free play, But I could be wrong.

I could be wrong on this.  Someone else can chime in...or at worst, ask your LBS.

I know that speedplay actually makes one line of pedals with zero float.  Float is the tension adjustment that determines how much free play you will have.

The more float, the easier it is to move you foot side to side without actually clipping out.  It makes it easier to clip out when you want to...and easier on your knees because you are not completely locked it.

The advantage of less float is that more energy is transferred from your foot into the pedal...less energy lost in the very slight side to side movement. 

2010-12-29 11:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
My pedals have a screw that you can use to adjust float.  They are the "Look" pedals.
2010-12-30 12:01 AM

Hey guys!! I feel terrible for not being able to keep up with any posts...and I'm sure ill have a boatload of questions coming soon, but I'm lucky to even fit my first week of workouts in. Between the holidays, the blizzard we had and getting called into work early.... My daily routine had become a disaster and I still haven't unpacked from our 2 week vacation. I love all the questions and advice that's flying around the board, its nice to see I'm not the only one who is totally clueless to this sport. I am keeping track of all my workouts and will update my training log after the new year. I will also learn (hopefully) how to navigate this site easily and add everyone from the group as friends. Also.. I received a waterproof case for my ipod...as well as waterproof headphones for Christmas. I need to set my ipod up with some new motivating music...anyone have any suggestions????
2010-12-30 12:17 AM

User image

I'm not much of a music person...when I need something different, I always like podcasts of radio talk shows.
2010-12-30 12:21 AM

User image

Got in a 4 mile run and 2750 in the pool at masters class after work.

Jumping on the trainer again tomorrow morning to give that Tuesday workout I cut short another try.  I purposely did a different workout this morning to rebuild my confidence...but I'm determined to finish this one tomorrow morning.

If my legs feel good tomorrow afternoon...I'll try to get in about 8 easy miles running...that would put me over 100 for December...good way to end the year and head into 2011.

Edited by tri808 2010-12-30 12:22 AM

2010-12-30 12:29 AM

User image

Here's another random question for the group.  Now that we know what our favorite healthy snacks are...what's your favorite form of food/nutrition while training...like gels, drinks (gatorade, heed), or bars.

Standard can't go wrong gels is anything chocolate flavored.  Hard to screw that up...it's like chocolate frosting.  I recently tried the mandarin orange GU and really liked it.  I also like strawberry and tropical fruit shot blocks.  For really long rides (70+ miles) I'll use gatorade and cliff bars (chocolate chip) to mix things up and provide added calories so I don't need to eat 7 gels.
2010-12-30 2:08 AM
in reply to: #3267433

User image

Waikoloa
tri808 - 2010-12-29 7:29 PM Here's another random question for the group.  Now that we know what our favorite healthy snacks are...what's your favorite form of food/nutrition while training...like gels, drinks (gatorade, heed), or bars.

Standard can't go wrong gels is anything chocolate flavored.  Hard to screw that up...it's like chocolate frosting.  I recently tried the mandarin orange GU and really liked it.  I also like strawberry and tropical fruit shot blocks.  For really long rides (70+ miles) I'll use gatorade and cliff bars (chocolate chip) to mix things up and provide added calories so I don't need to eat 7 gels.

I'll go with the GU gel, usually Chocolate for long rides (over 2 hours), every hour or so.  For a hard ride or a long ride I'll use Heed Perpetum for my drink, mainly for the lactic acid buffer and calories.
2010-12-30 6:05 AM
in reply to: #3267433

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-12-30 6:32 AM

Coastal Carolina
Couldn't sleep last night so cut out morning workout for an afternoon in favor of a couple of extra hours sack time, weights and run for me...

Haven't fooled around too much with the during workout foods yet but always end a gym session with muscle milk powder, x3 on the chocolate flavored anything though
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri808's Spring Pot Luck (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 45