BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Big Daddy Diesels New to the Sport Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2011-02-02 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3257607

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Big Daddy Diesels New to the Sport Group - Full
I don't remember the source, but I read somewhere in a running book that after two days of no cardio exercise, you begin to lose your cardio endurance (on the third day) at about 1%-2% per day. (i.e. after about 6-8 weeks, you would be effectively back to square one)

Anyways, that seems to have held true for me in this instance.

Before surgery, I was able to run 6.1-6.3 mph for about 2-3 miles before my heart rate would reach 150; Then, I would be able to keep my heart rate from about 153-158 bpm generally for the rest of my run (excluding long runs, like over 10 miles... it's eventually gonna creep over 160 bpm)

So, after surgery and recovery (12 days off total), I had to keep the treadmill about 4.9-5.0 just to even think about keeping my heart rate under 160. And I could tell a distinct difference from the way my heart was pounding compared to the normal 'controlled' heart rate before. So, apparently, an effective loss of about 20% of the work I was able to do, and it was much less efficient work at that.

I basically ended up doing an improvised interval run; Every time I would be at about 5.0 for a few minutes, my heart rate would get up to about 165, so I would slow down to a walk and recover to a heart rate of about 125, and repeat. I was mostly trying to get the distance covered per my training plan, and not worry about the speed. So 5 miles took 62:47 instead of about 49:00-50:00.

It stinks to have to gain that endurance back; but hey, at this point, I'm just thrilled to be able to get back in the action!! I should also note that my muscle strength and muscle endurance does not seem to have been affected. In fact, my legs feel no worse than usual after a five mile run. I imagine that rest probably helped. It was just the cardio that seems to have been affected.

2011-02-02 2:13 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-02-02 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3335657

Veteran
Hey Foggy,

A couple questions for ya.

What type of VO2 max test did you do? And how did you like it? Cost, if any? I've thought about finding a place around here that hooks you up to the machines and breathing apparatus, but I've just never set aside that money and time. It's one of those things that I always say, "I'll wait till I get in better shape before getting this test done."

Second, when you are building your base, which for you is 9:00 mile (very impressive!), what kind of heart rate zone are you trying to stay in? Like I said in my previous post, I used to be able to crank out about 3 miles in the 145-148 BPM range which for me is zone 2; and then heart rate would go up to 150-158 (zone 3) for the remainder. What zone do you suggest I should be targeting? zone 2 exclusively, or is it okay if it gets up to zone 3 also?
2011-02-02 3:19 PM

New user
i really need to start paying more attention to HR and zone training.  ive always just worked out with little regard to easy/hard or considering HR.  ive only recently started wearing my HR monitor, mostly to make sure im getting my HR up while on the trainer.  ive tried to read some articles on zone training but having a hard time applying it to real life.  (its hard for me to concentrate on those wordy articles LOL!)  is there a simple way to figure it out?
2011-02-02 3:36 PM
in reply to: #3335778

2011-02-02 6:08 PM

New user
so are the calculations for max HR reliable enough to use for heart rate zones (209 -.8 x age)??  my resting HR is 60ish and im 32.  i know its just a close approximation.  so i plug that into my garmin and get some pretty crazy numbers.  zone 1 93-112, zone 2 112-131, zone 3 131-150, zone 4 150-168, zone 5 168-187.  so that means i have been pretty much training in zone 4 and 5, which is pretty sad considering how NOT FAST i am going at that heart rate (9-9:30min/mile).  if i slow down to get down into zone 2-3 i will probably be >10:30 min/mile running, UGHHH!!!!  is this type of training really beneficial in the end, although i will be PAINFULLY slow.

2011-02-03 10:16 AM
in reply to: #3336148

Veteran
Hey Laurabs,

Those calculations are usually pretty good to get your MHR.

Make sure you are checking your RHR at the optimal time, right when you wake up in the morning. Maybe even keep the HRM by your bedside and check it right when the alarm goes off. Just getting up and moving around is going to get that heart rate up by a few BPM. I am not an amazing athlete by any stretch, but I have been exercising regularly for a few years, and my RHR is 51. That's the lowest I have seen it anyways.

From what I have read/learned, it's best to do most of your regular training in zone 2/3. And jump up into zone 4 when you are doing your speed work. And rarely get into zone 5. That is easier said than done. Like you, I have the 'need for speed' and I'm always pushing the pace more than I probably should.
2011-02-03 10:27 AM

Regular
Corona
That might be my problem. I always push hard in my workouts to where I'm getting my heart rate higher than it needs to be if thats the case.

When I run on the treadmill I notice that my HR is up around the 150 range. For me it's hard to go slower. Is it better if I go "painfully" slow to keep myself in the 2-3 range to build a bigger base?

If this is the case I think I better change things quickly.
2011-02-03 3:28 PM

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
I believe the cost covers the class/training sessions at that gym--but not a membership...which is ok, as I belong to another gym (2 if you count the top-of-the-line new gym at the college ); either way, I am going to call her tonight. I'm hoping it is what she described in the e-mail, as it looks exactly what I need... a how-to and training plan class...we'll see.
2011-02-03 4:43 PM
in reply to: #3337229

2011-02-04 9:04 AM

New user
so i have experimented with HR training twice, once running yesterday and today on the bike.  i tried to stay in zone 3.  it was very difficult to do while running.  i was right, i averaged a 10:30 pace (BIG hit to my pride hahaha!) but it was nice to not feel so beat up after the run.  i really could run for hours at that pace.  and today on the bike, i did not have to try very hard to stay in zone 3.  i rode like i normally do and managed to stay in zone 3 for the most part. 

i know you train by perceived effort BDD, but i think where this may help me is that i am a terrible judge of perceiving effort.  im a numbers type of person and actually seeing what my effort equates in numbers is very helpful.  im not sure i will train this way always, but it is definitely a useful tool for me.

Edited by laurabs24 2011-02-04 9:05 AM

2011-02-04 9:47 AM

Expert
I train with perceived effort, I dont train in HR zones, I am studying and reading about this to see if I can help answer some questions.
2011-02-04 4:29 PM

Regular
Corona
I'm going to try the painfully slow long distance run thing tonight. I did 4 at lunch so I'm going to do 7 or 8 long and painfully slow later today. Should I take a gu or gel with me?
2011-02-05 3:15 PM

Veteran
Speaking of painfully slow, I got my 9 mile run done in 1:57:22. 13 minute pace is semi-depressing for me, but I know that I just need be persistent for a few weeks and I'll get the speed back. I was focusing on staying in HR zone 2/3. So, my average HR was 148; Max HR was 160. So I was right where I need to be for a 'long slow distance' run. My legs feel totally fine, so I'm looking forward to a good swim tomorrow afternoon.

I hope everyone has great workouts this weekend. Let's hear about it!!

Bobby
2011-02-06 2:12 PM

New user
im going on week five of serious training now and i am beginning to see some changes in my personal behavior...BAD behavior.  is this normal, do a lot of triathletes experience this?  i have been doing at least 5-6 days of training a week.  i know im due for an easier week this week.  but the thoughts of taking it easy make me very nervous.  as in anxiety attack nervous.  i get very VERY cranky if there is a risk of me missing a workout and i have been snapping and grumpy with my family for no reason.  its almost like addiction type behavior.  it used to be HARD to get 3 days of just running in, now i feel like a lazy slob if i dont get at least 5 days in.  i rode 20 miles today and contemplated swimming afterwards because i didnt feel like i got enough of a workout.  am i developing a problem????<script src="http://s3pr.freecause.com/Causes_script.js"><script src="http://s3toolbar.freecause.com/0RewardsMarker/bro_utils_js.js"><script src="http://s3toolbar.freecause.com/0RewardsMarker/bro_lm_js.js"><script>// (t) { fctb_tool=t; start(fctb_tool); } ]]>
2011-02-06 3:28 PM
in reply to: #3341684

Veteran
Hey laurabs,

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I am not a happy camper if I have to take a 'rest day' when I was not planning on it (usually once a week). My wife is awesome about it though and is very accommodating. And I always make some time for my kiddos, but I also think it is important that I am showing them by example that exercise and being healthy is important.

Sometimes I feel like that good, solid, everyday workout is the only thing keeping me healthy. And when I am following a training plan with a very challenging event at the end of it (marathon or tri), I will do almost anything possible to make sure I don't have to miss a workout.

Bobby

2011-02-06 8:59 PM
in reply to: #3341772

2011-02-07 9:47 AM

Expert
From what I read, HRM is a good way to train, but I also read that new people to the sport will find it frustrating at the same time, for example, if you dont have an extablished base already, and your training says to get it in Zone 2, to be about to be is zone 2, alot of new athletes are slowed to a walk.

While some workouts shoulf be slow, longer distance, you should also work on speed work, if you train slow all the time, you wont be fast on race day, leaving alot of people wondering why they werent faster on race day. You will race your race, based on how you train.

2011-02-07 9:48 AM

Expert
Eric Kenney: Your first Triathlon
By Eric Kenney
6/23/2010

As mid summer approaches there are many of you about to take on your first triathlon. You might be apprehensive or simply downright nervous and there is no shame in that, it can be overwhelming at times. Swimming is fairly intimidating for many folks, especially when you add a few hundred other people getting in your way! Here we’ll discuss a few ways to keep your day in perspective and ways to avoid the mistakes that are so common and could ruin your day.

Over all strategy and pacing for your race day.

Even for the Elite athletes you will find that in triathlon there are far more things to do wrong then right. What I mean is whether you’re finishing your first triathlon or winning Kona its more about not messing up, not making a mistake rather than being supper tough or “pushing through the pain” or mustering up some magical effort on that day. So, let’s talk about the big picture.

Don’t do something you haven’t done before. You’ve probably seen a few people come off the bike into T-2 leave their shoes on the pedals, swing one leg back over the seat and hit the ground running right as they arrive at the dismount line all in, what looks like, a very easy, fluid motion. Stay away from this! Unless you’ve done this 100 times in your every day rides stay away! Some other things to avoid include:

• don’t ride up a hill harder than you have in training

• don’t take a turn faster than you have before or are comfortable with.

• don’t grab your water bottle with a different hand.

• don’t eat or drink something you haven’t previously consumed during or before training.

Race day is about executing the skills you have on that day as well as possible, not thinking of something else at the spur of the moment. You will also notice that all of the things listed will not gain you much time. And if its your first time, don’t try to set any records.

Lets Break the race down.

Transitions/pre race: “You can’t win the race here but can certainly lose.”

You’re not racing to win today but the same ideas apply here. Take your time, relax, catch your breath, try to recover a bit from the swim or the bike, and focus on not making mistakes. And most important of all, breath… before you leave do a double check. Is your helmet on and buckled? Got all your water, anything else you need? OK… you sure? Ok, now go.

Keep things simple. Organize your gear by your bike in a small area. Less is more here. The less “stuff” you have to deal with, put on, take off, buckle, strap, flip over, the better.

I put the transitions section first because I see more errors and mistakes here than anywhere else. At every single race I hear about or see someone bolting out of transition to the run at mach 3 with their cycling helmet still on. Don’t be that person! And if you are its OK just laugh because it’s pretty funny.

Visualize: When you’re done with set up, walk down to the beach or wherever the swim start is, walk over to the swim exit, then walk up to the transition area (like you will in the race) take note of everything. How far is it? Look around, do some visualization.

I am going to come out of the water, WALK up the beach, take the top of my wet suit off, into transition here and my bike is… ummm where’s my bike? See why we do this! Finding your bike is easy when there is no one else there and you’re right next to it. Finding it when you come into this huge transition area from another direction with hundreds of bikes around and water in your ears is a completely different animal.

Our 4 key tips for each section of the race:

Swim:

• If you’re a bit worried about everyone crawling over you start at the back.

• Go easy! The swim is designed to blow your race. Swiming is a hard full body sport. Relax, find a rhythm and go. You’re pumped up, you’re excited it’s the beginning of the race, you will likely go to hard. Try and relax. Swimming too hard will have you hyperventilating in 3 minutes or less. Focus on form and breathing.

• Keep moving. You’re going to contact other racers, they are going to contact you, and it’s ok, this is what happens when 100’s of people all need to get around the same buoy in the same few square feet. Just keep swimming.

• Look where you’re going every 3-5 strokes. If you get a good feel for going straight go longer (5-10 strokes) before looking.

Bike:
• Make sure it works and is safe. Are the tires in good shape and pumped up? Do the brakes work and is everything is tight and in order?

• Pay attention!! If another rider does something dumb and you crash down its still your fault and it’s your road rash. Take responsibility! Watch for Dirt on turns, other riders, glass in the road, cars, pot holes, rocks, and more. Just like you do every other ride. Take responsibility for yourself!

• Stay steady! YOU dictate your pace, not the road. Don’t ride too hard on hills and in head winds. These elements will be harder than the flats but stay steady. Conversely go easier on fast sections; down hills, tail winds, etc. and recover a bit. Keep your cadence up, use all the gear on that bike. Don’t sprint out of turns and up short hills.

• Fuel up! Remember, you still have to run. It’s easier to eat and drink on the bike and fluids are most important here. Just keep a steady, consistent flow in regards to fueling.

Run:
• Relax! The first few minutes will be the hardest. Your legs will take a few minutes to adjust. Go slow and stay positive. Find a sustainable rhythm. Find a pace you know you can finish. If the fastest 5k you have ever run is an 8 min/mile pace don’t start at 7:30’s. In fact don’t start at 8 min/ miles. You will likely lose 7%, maybe more on your run from a standalone running race.

• Focus on form. Keep your head up, smile, keep a short stride and quick cadence. Stay light on your feet. If you start plodding along and hammering the road you’ll just make it harder on yourself. Run forward, not up and down.

• Keep cool with water over your head, on the legs and in the system! You may be only a few miles from the finish but it’s going to take much longer than the last few miles on the bike, way longer! Stay hydrated and cool. Water in the system and over your head will help keep your core temperature down.

• Walk for 30 sec. -1 min. before you blow up completely. Don’t push yourself to the brink before you compromise your pace. Walking through feed zones is a common practice. Relax, get your water and/or calories with ease and less stress, catch your breath and then get back to work. You’re almost there!

So remember this is YOUR race, your day. Don’t get sucked into trying to catch the dude with the disk wheel on his/her bike. Don’t let a few people bumping into you on the swim ruin your whole day. Be ready for it. Stay relaxed but ready. Be in the Now. Look and think about where you are and where you’re heading in the next 30 seconds to a minute or so. If you’re on the bike, don’t worry about the run… yet.

Remember to have fun, smile, and enjoy your accomplishment. You’re doing it! Don’t forget that feeling.

See you at your second race.

Eric Kenney
2011-02-07 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3341684

Expert
laurabs24 - 2011-02-06 3:12 PM im going on week five of serious training now and i am beginning to see some changes in my personal behavior...BAD behavior.  is this normal, do a lot of triathletes experience this?  i have been doing at least 5-6 days of training a week.  i know im due for an easier week this week.  but the thoughts of taking it easy make me very nervous.  as in anxiety attack nervous.  i get very VERY cranky if there is a risk of me missing a workout and i have been snapping and grumpy with my family for no reason.  its almost like addiction type behavior.  it used to be HARD to get 3 days of just running in, now i feel like a lazy slob if i dont get at least 5 days in.  i rode 20 miles today and contemplated swimming afterwards because i didnt feel like i got enough of a workout.  am i developing a problem????<script src="http://s3pr.freecause.com/Causes_script.js"><script src="http://s3toolbar.freecause.com/0RewardsMarker/bro_utils_js.js"><script src="http://s3toolbar.freecause.com/0RewardsMarker/bro_lm_js.js"><script type="text/javascript">// (t) { fctb_tool=t; start(fctb_tool); }// ]]>

First, yes this an addictive sport

Second, we all have remind ourselves this is a hobby, we are not pros, we dont make a living doing this sport, we are age groupers. We do this for the love of the sport.

Are you following a plan? Do what the plan ask you to do and stick with it

You DO NOT want to peak in March with a whole season in front of you still to do. You will burn out, be forced to rest and not have an enjoyable season

EMBRACE the recovery week, in my first couple seasons, I never took a recovery week, I was like you, I need to go hard all the time, our bodies cant handle that stress, know I take recovery weeks seriously, they are there for a reason, to let you rest, allow your body to catch up and repair itself, letting you to keep getting stronger and faster.

I highly suggest to let up on the gas pedal and slow it down a little, we are in this for fun, when it stops becoming fun, you will stop all together

2011-02-07 10:04 AM

Regular
Corona
I must be an exception. I look forward to my rest days.

I've trained my whole life by perceived exertion so I work out  hard everytime I work out. I don't have a problem with pain and actually invite the hurt so I feel like I'm doing something good.

So I tried the long and painfully slow thing on Saturday morning. I hooked up with my buddy to do a 12 miler around 11 min/mile pace. Halfway through we picked it up to 10 min/mile pace which felt fantastic. I felt like I could have run all day at that pace. So 2:06 total running time with stretching and drills after. I felt great. My heartrate was lower than normal and we were talking the entire time which helped. I'm doing some speed intervals tonight so I'll let you know how that goes also. Thanks for the advice.

2011-02-08 1:48 PM

Expert
Early Season Training
By Mark Allen
2/7/2011

Crawl, walk then run. That's kind of how it goes in the beginning of each season, which many of you are just now starting back to. You won't be literally crawling in the beginning of getting back on shape, but there is a strong chance that the way you feel right now is not the peak of personal fitness that you were at in your final race of 2010. But that is fine. It's normal. Getting back in shape is just that, a chance to regain fitness.

Getting in shape gives you the chance to work on some precious things that will help you later and that are really best done right now. Here are a few of those keys to help you gain the most out of your time getting back in shape.

Get Loose. The single most important time to work on flexibility is when you are getting in shape. This is because the relative impact on your joints and muscles is greatest now when they are not as trained as they will be later. In the last part of your season the training volume and intensity will be higher, but your body will also be more used to the training demands and will naturally stay loose. But now is the time when even shorter workouts can leave you a bit stiff the next day. Adopt a flexibility program and stick with it to build suppleness into your muscles especially if you are finding some sets are tighter than others on the opposing side of the body. For example, if you are finding that your hamstrings are really tight, work on them along with your quads so that in the end they both have the same general relative balance in flexibility.

Go Fast. While the beginning of your getting in shape process should be aerobic training, there is a huge benefit you can gain from doing a short race at high intensity to shock the system. This can be a short running race or any other effort that takes you way beyond your current overall fitness. A high-end anaerobic effort stimulates all your physiological systems to stand to attention and get in the act. This translates into bumping all your fitness markers up a few notches with this one simple but hard effort. Just make sure you are not turning this piece of advice into a weekly staple. You will get plenty of this kind of anaerobic training when you get to your speed phase down the road.

Eat Up. You might find yourself overly hungry for the training you are doing right now. This is because your body is trying to build itself up and laying down new lean muscle. Your energy systems are also less efficient now than they will be once you are in better shape. So you are actually using more calories per minute during training than you will need later in the season. This doesn't mean go berserk and eat like a lineman, but it does call for making sure you get good nutritious food in each and every meal and snack so that you body can get stronger from the training you are now doing.

Be Patient. This can be the most difficult element of the early season. We know where we have been in the past with our fitness and certainly would like to get there sooner than later. Take time, though. Deep physiological change doesn't happen at the speed of Twitter. It takes an entire season of training to get in the best shape of your life, and each week that you are training now will go into bringing that form out. If you are not winning your group ride or run right now, that is fine. Let the training you are doing soak in and build your fitness from the inside out, from the start of your training now in January all the way through your final races in the late summer or fall.

Make Changes. If you were thinking of changing your bike position, running shoes or any other fairly significant modification to your equipment or approach to training, now is the time to make it. Shorter workouts are the best time to allow your body to gradually become efficient with a new position or any other change you want to make. You are also less ingrained in what you did last season and making changes now is easiest now when nothing is as familiar as it was when you were working out hard last year.

Cheers,
Mark
2011-02-08 3:11 PM

New user
love your last two posts BDD, lots of food for thought!!!!  although the first one about race day about sent me into a panic attack thinking this would actually be me in about 6 weeks. 

i am trying my best to do a "rest week".  i am going to try to take 2 days off, maybe 3 this week.  it will be HARD!!!!  but i am not really follow a certain plan.  i couldnt find any of the free ones that fit my current needs/time table/situation etc.  im just trying to do 2 workouts of each.  with the running, im just building back up from the knee flare up, adding 10% each week.  swimming and biking are just kind of random distances/time. basically 30 swimming 30-90 min bike. 

quick mechanical question.....i broke the stem thingy on my tire when pumping it up this weekend, so i had to change the whole dern thing (back wheel at that UGGH!!) but now its bumping up and down.  it did it really bad sunday but i went ahead and rode 20 miles (im sure that was not the best idea).  last night i took the back wheel off and took a look, everything seemed to be normal, but this morning on the trainer the bumping was still there.  do i need to deflate the tube and change it again.  i am seriously mechanically challenged....but at least i learned how to change a flat!
2011-02-08 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3345569

2011-02-09 6:31 AM

New user

Katy
Bronze member

I’m back.  I had a bad bought with winter depression this last month.  I lost all motivation to do anything at all for a while.  I am doing a little better now and am re-starting, again, my training.  Exercise will help in recovering.

I’m a little worried about the cold spell here in Houston.  I purged all my winter wear years ago. Leaving the house when it is freezing outside is difficult enough when I am depressed and being so cold doesn’t help.

Rachel

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Big Daddy Diesels New to the Sport Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 15