BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2011-01-12 11:28 AM
in reply to: #3294603

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
Subject: RE: Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL
gcoller - 2011-01-12 8:23 AM I'm having a bit of trouble adjusting my trainer, so I grabbed a nearby old college textbook.  It usually doesn't need one. Suggestions?

Awesome home gym set up!  What do you mean by "I'm having trouble adjusting my trainer?"  Generally speaking, you do need to elevate the front wheel to level the bike.  You can ride without the front wheel raised, but it will give you a sensation of putting more weight on your front end (hands, etc) than you normally would.  The textbook should work pretty well, unless that isn't the issue you are trying to fix.

Congrats on the training, and stay warm during your snow day. 

2011-01-12 12:31 PM
in reply to: #3294813

User image

Veteran
andrew_haberkorn - 2011-01-12 11:28 AM
gcoller - 2011-01-12 8:23 AM I'm having a bit of trouble adjusting my trainer, so I grabbed a nearby old college textbook.  It usually doesn't need one. Suggestions?

Awesome home gym set up!  What do you mean by "I'm having trouble adjusting my trainer?"  Generally speaking, you do need to elevate the front wheel to level the bike.  You can ride without the front wheel raised, but it will give you a sensation of putting more weight on your front end (hands, etc) than you normally would.  The textbook should work pretty well, unless that isn't the issue you are trying to fix.

Congrats on the training, and stay warm during your snow day. 

That's exactly the answer I'm looking for - thank you! The extra pressure on my front end was why I grabbed the book. Great to know I'm on track.
2011-01-12 8:14 PM
in reply to: #3257746

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
i have been MIA.  Having too much trouble getting motivated since I am still having trouble sleeping with my shoulder.

Today I decided I needed to do something, so I did 3 sets of 10 minutes on the trainer with a cadence of between 75-85, and speed was 9.5 - 12.1, staying mostly at 10.5.

Question, when I was riding I could feel pressure on my shoulder that had surgery, is this normal? I have had trouble with my hands falling asleep while riding in my previous training.  Or is this a form / setup problem?
2011-01-12 9:30 PM
in reply to: #3296049

User image

Veteran
I just had a great ride thanks to Andrew's suggested link - check.it.out. Best bike ride this year.  My goal was 40 min. moderate on my trainer. I went 45 hard...how could I not when watching Kona 2010?! Camaraderie and support rock.
2011-01-12 9:46 PM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
otter_sh - 2011-01-12 6:14 PM i have been MIA.  Having too much trouble getting motivated since I am still having trouble sleeping with my shoulder.

Today I decided I needed to do something, so I did 3 sets of 10 minutes on the trainer with a cadence of between 75-85, and speed was 9.5 - 12.1, staying mostly at 10.5.

Question, when I was riding I could feel pressure on my shoulder that had surgery, is this normal? I have had trouble with my hands falling asleep while riding in my previous training.  Or is this a form / setup problem?

Normally part of your weight is supported by your hands/arms/shoulders. It's part of the 'leaning forward' part of riding a bike. You need to support yourself somehow.

If you want to avoid this, you can put a riser or few books under your front wheel (as mentioned earlier). It will put you in more of an upright position and relieve the pressure on your shoulder.
2011-01-13 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3296192

User image

Expert
gcoller - 2011-01-12 7:30 PM I just had a great ride thanks to Andrew's suggested link - check.it.out. Best bike ride this year.  My goal was 40 min. moderate on my trainer. I went 45 hard...how could I not when watching Kona 2010?! Camaraderie and support rock.

ahem, that was my link...  Sealed glad you liked it!

my question for the day to the group:  I was pretty sore yesterday.  Nothing *hurt*, but it was enough I briefly wondered if I should take the day off from running.  About 15 minutes into my run I felt good and loosened up.  I'm even a little more sore today.  I plan to run later this morning.  At what point does the soreness/tiredness become enough that it's time for a day off?  How do you know if it's a day to take a little break, vs. a day to HTFU?

I have not been much of an athlete in my life so this whole being tired/sore and still doing something physical is a little wierd to me... 

2011-01-13 10:48 AM
in reply to: #3296729

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA

my question for the day to the group:  I was pretty sore yesterday.  Nothing *hurt*, but it was enough I briefly wondered if I should take the day off from running.  About 15 minutes into my run I felt good and loosened up.  I'm even a little more sore today.  I plan to run later this morning.  At what point does the soreness/tiredness become enough that it's time for a day off?  How do you know if it's a day to take a little break, vs. a day to HTFU?

I have not been much of an athlete in my life so this whole being tired/sore and still doing something physical is a little wierd to me... 

Yes, definitely not my link!  But it was a great one and appreciated!  

As for your question regarding soreness.  To be honest, I'm on the fence on this.  On one hand, I have found the best way to get through soreness, is to exercise.  On the other, sometimes your body just needs a break.  I've gotten to the point where I know my body well enough that I can determine whether it is something I can/should push through, or I just need to sit a day out.

That doesn't help you.  Here's what I'll say, and I'd love to hear other's thoughts...I would error on the side of caution and take a day off if you *think* you might be pushing too hard.  That being said, you could also look into cross-training.  If running is what is causing you to be sore, go swim, bike, elliptical (sp?).  Or you could look to just go out for an easy "recovery" run.  I literally have a 20 min. recovery run written into my plan for the week.  Sometimes that goes a long way.

Drew 
2011-01-13 2:15 PM
in reply to: #3297095

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
andrew_haberkorn - 2011-01-13 9:48 AM

Yes, definitely not my link!  But it was a great one and appreciated!  

As for your question regarding soreness.  To be honest, I'm on the fence on this.  On one hand, I have found the best way to get through soreness, is to exercise.  On the other, sometimes your body just needs a break.  I've gotten to the point where I know my body well enough that I can determine whether it is something I can/should push through, or I just need to sit a day out.

That doesn't help you.  Here's what I'll say, and I'd love to hear other's thoughts...I would error on the side of caution and take a day off if you *think* you might be pushing too hard.  That being said, you could also look into cross-training.  If running is what is causing you to be sore, go swim, bike, elliptical (sp?).  Or you could look to just go out for an easy "recovery" run.  I literally have a 20 min. recovery run written into my plan for the week.  Sometimes that goes a long way.

Drew 

I am with you on this one Drew. Cross training is such a great way to keep healthy and work different parts of your body and brain. I know so many runners (something in that running mindset!) that run themselves - literally - into the ground. That is what is so great about triathlon-and still we need to work in a little yoga or weights or classes or something in addition to the 3 sport training. Great to not be bored and to build strength and fitness in so many different ways!
Listen to your body and err on the side of caution. Great Advice! It is so much easier to not get injured than to work back from an injury.
2011-01-13 2:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
gcoller - 2011-01-12 8:30 PM I just had a great ride thanks to Andrew's suggested link - check.it.out. Best bike ride this year.  My goal was 40 min. moderate on my trainer. I went 45 hard...how could I not when watching Kona 2010?! Camaraderie and support rock.

Nice!
I am up for a long bike tonight and it will have to be inside...I do not have the rollers and so I'm stuck at the gym - I am jealous of your Kona ride!!
2011-01-13 3:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA
gcoller - 2011-01-12 10:30 PM I just had a great ride thanks to Andrew's suggested link - check.it.out. Best bike ride this year.  My goal was 40 min. moderate on my trainer. I went 45 hard...how could I not when watching Kona 2010?! Camaraderie and support rock.

What a great idea.  I think I'll set up my laptop to watch the Ironman Arizona and dream about doing it one day during my trainer ride tonight.

(EDIT:  Laptop in front of the bike trainer worked great.  Watched Ironman AZ and a few minutes of Kona.  Was fun trying to mimic my cadence to that of the pro riders.  Fastest trainer ride I've ever had.

Edited by mandsberry 2011-01-13 9:44 PM
2011-01-13 3:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
I have to ride tonight as well.  The local bike shop here, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, lets people bring up their trainers and we do a spin class.  Doing my miles on the trainer that way is so much more fun than, sitting at home doing it by myself.  And they do some tough trainer workouts.  I have been looking forward to going all day.

2011-01-13 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3297095

User image

Extreme Veteran

I was pretty sore yesterday.  Nothing *hurt*, but it was enough I briefly wondered if I should take the day off from running.  About 15 minutes into my run I felt good and loosened up.  I'm even a little more sore today.  I plan to run later this morning.  At what point does the soreness/tiredness become enough that it's time for a day off?  

I have had a rough week – sorry for the MIA. I had to have a tooth extracted. You can read about it here – kind of gross - http://hubcitytri.blogspot.com/2011/01/poker-nights-and-poker-tells...

However, I was able to hit my runs – I ran intervals just prior to the dentist. I then took the next day and a half off. I rode the trainer for just under an hour before work and then I did a 10 mile tempo run at lunch at marathon pace (6:51). I am humbled – you mean I have to run this for an additional 16.2 miles to reach my marathon goal of 2:59 – dang.

Regarding taking days off because of soreness. This is not the best answer either but I really try to follow a well structured training plan. I take the days off when the plan calls for it. I also know my body pretty well. I will almost always give a run a fair shake – run a mile out for warm-up. If I am not feeling it I will just run home. That does not happen very often – I am almost always ready for the run after the first mile.

A quick rule of thumb – if you are sore on both sides, well that is training. If you are sore on one side, you might be injured – take it easy.
2011-01-13 9:13 PM

http://omaha.craigslist.org/bik/2153671650.html

Okay, I am meeting this guy tomorrow to potentially buy this bike. Any questions that I should ask, or ANY advice... please please please let me know.

I have read at least 5 full reviews of this bike and it seems to be a phenomenal bike.... what do you all think?
2011-01-13 10:40 PM
in reply to: #3297960

User image

Sunderland
A quick rule of thumb – if you are sore on both sides, well that is training. If you are sore on one side, you might be injured – take it easy.

I'm totally digging this.  I can believe I haven't heard (or read) that before.  Thanks.

If I was getting progressively more sore over the course of a few days, I would probably take a day off.  I expect to be sore/ stiff/ feeling it if I do something out of the ordinary, like start swimming out of the blue or go on a long or fast run.  That's muscle soreness and I'm used to it.  If I felt like something else was going on, I'd probably take a day off.  I guess it depends on what I felt like.  Kinda like what Drew was saying.  You just sort of know.

I've been a total slug the last few days.  I ended up with a cold but I'm starting to feel better.  I've drank my body weight in orange juice over the last 48 hours.  I'm not sure if that helped at all but I should be immune to scurvy for a little while at least.  I'll be back out pounding the pavement tomorrow.
2011-01-14 7:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

FSA IS2 sealed bearing integrated 1" headset
Wolf carbon fiber fork with an uncut steerer tube so you have plenty of adjustability
Vision Tech base bars and clip ons
Dura Ace 10 speed bar ends
Dura Ace 10 speed F/R derailleurs
Dura Ace 10 speed 11-23 cassette
Dura Ace 10 speed HyperGlide chain
Cervelo F/R brake calipers/Cane Creek levers
FSA Gossamer 175mm cranks/Mega EXO bottom bracket
Adamo Race saddle
Bottle carrier
Ritchey clincher 700c wheelset

Be careful with the sizing. The guy being 6’2” and thinking that has a correlation with a 62cm sized bike – well, just check the size. Most people get a tri bike that is a little smaller than their same sized road bike. For example, I am just under 5’8” (or just over 5’7” – depending how you look at it). I rode a traditional geometry 54 road bike for several years. When I went got my tri bike I dropped down to about a 51-52 (giant does XS-S-M-L) which was a size small. Later I upgraded my road bike. My current road bike has a compact geometry – meaning the top tube is sloped and the size is an equivalent to standard geometry. The compact road bike is also a 54. However, now when I ride my old road bike with the standard geometry I can’t believe the fit – I feel stretched out. The bike was probably a hair too big. That did not stop me from racking up thousands and thousands of miles – but like most things, it is hard to go back.

Enough rambling, I would error on the bike being slightly too small than even a just a little bit too large.

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/bike+fit.html

You just need to get the frame size correct – everything else can be adjusted. Also, that Adamo saddle, you will either love it or hate. The good news is that it was an expensive saddle. If you don’t like it and it is in good condition you can resell it.
2011-01-14 9:12 AM

User image

Expert
microspawn - 2011-01-13 1:23 PM  I have had a rough week – sorry for the MIA. I had to have a tooth extracted. You can read about it here – kind of gross - http://hubcitytri.blogspot.com/2011/01/poker-nights-and-poker-tells...

I'm a total tooth grinder too.  I currently have two broken molars, and another that just lost it's filling.  So far they don't hurt too badly, but I'm gonna have to get back to a dentist again soon...  It sucks not having denal insurance, I've been putting it off so long that now it will probably cost 5x as much compared to if I had just gone regularly and paid a little here and there before the damage got so bad...

I will almost always give a run a fair shake – run a mile out for warm-up. If I am not feeling it I will just run home. That does not happen very often – I am almost always ready for the run after the first mile. A quick rule of thumb – if you are sore on both sides, well that is training. If you are sore on one side, you might be injured – take it easy.

Sounds like a plan.  I ran yesterday giving myself permission to turn around at any point if I felt any odd pains, but again after about 15 minutes everything was feeling good.  For the most part all my pains just feel like general training soreness, but occasionally I'll get isolated nigglings in one knee, or a hip.  I dunno, just things I worry about...  I raced motorcycles for 20 years, and racked up a number of major-ish injuries so it's also hard to tell sometimes when it's really something to worry about, or just an old injury coming back to bother me a bit.

Edited by norcal_SAHD 2011-01-14 9:13 AM

2011-01-14 9:19 AM
in reply to: #3298605

User image

Expert
loper245 - 2011-01-13 7:13 PM http://omaha.craigslist.org/bik/2153671650.html

Okay, I am meeting this guy tomorrow to potentially buy this bike. Any questions that I should ask, or ANY advice... please please please let me know.

I have read at least 5 full reviews of this bike and it seems to be a phenomenal bike.... what do you all think?

Yeah, definately a great bike.  A BIG bike...  make sure it fits you is all I'd say!  What are you going by to base your fit decision on?  I recently input my numbers into http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO  and it spit out a bunch of results, which with the help of a tape measure could at least make sure the bike is in the ballpark for you.  The calculator is pretty detailed, asking for measurements of legs, arms, torso, etc.  It might be worth doing if you don't have any other kind of fit info already before going to see the bike.
2011-01-14 11:41 AM
in reply to: #3298605

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
loper245 - 2011-01-13 7:13 PM http://omaha.craigslist.org/bik/2153671650.html

Agreed with others.  Great bike.  If it fits, it's a solid buy.  Don't get caught up in the "It's a nice bike at a good cost - I'll make it work."  I've done that before (when I was starting out), and regretted it later.  You'll find the right bike.  Maybe this is it, but don't just get it to get it.  Get it if it feels right.

Drew 
2011-01-14 11:41 AM
in reply to: #3298934

microspawn - 2011-01-14 7:17 AM
FSA IS2 sealed bearing integrated 1" headset Wolf carbon fiber fork with an uncut steerer tube so you have plenty of adjustability Vision Tech base bars and clip ons Dura Ace 10 speed bar ends Dura Ace 10 speed F/R derailleurs Dura Ace 10 speed 11-23 cassette Dura Ace 10 speed HyperGlide chain Cervelo F/R brake calipers/Cane Creek levers FSA Gossamer 175mm cranks/Mega EXO bottom bracket Adamo Race saddle Bottle carrier Ritchey clincher 700c wheelset
Be careful with the sizing. The guy being 6’2” and thinking that has a correlation with a 62cm sized bike – well, just check the size. Most people get a tri bike that is a little smaller than their same sized road bike. For example, I am just under 5’8” (or just over 5’7” – depending how you look at it). I rode a traditional geometry 54 road bike for several years. When I went got my tri bike I dropped down to about a 51-52 (giant does XS-S-M-L) which was a size small. Later I upgraded my road bike. My current road bike has a compact geometry – meaning the top tube is sloped and the size is an equivalent to standard geometry. The compact road bike is also a 54. However, now when I ride my old road bike with the standard geometry I can’t believe the fit – I feel stretched out. The bike was probably a hair too big. That did not stop me from racking up thousands and thousands of miles – but like most things, it is hard to go back. Enough rambling, I would error on the bike being slightly too small than even a just a little bit too large. http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/bike+fit.htmlYou just need to get the frame size correct – everything else can be adjusted. Also, that Adamo saddle, you will either love it or hate. The good news is that it was an expensive saddle. If you don’t like it and it is in good condition you can resell it.

I am 6'1" and the guy that is selling it is a 6'2" Is that about right for this frame size?
2011-01-14 11:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
I am humbled – you mean I have to run this for an additional 16.2 miles to reach my marathon goal of 2:59 – dang

I can't wait to pull this post up after you reach/beat your marathon goal.  Solid run.  Keep putting the work in and you'll get where you want to be.
2011-01-14 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3299191

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
Sounds like a plan.  I ran yesterday giving myself permission to turn around at any point if I felt any odd pains, but again after about 15 minutes everything was feeling good.  For the most part all my pains just feel like general training soreness, but occasionally I'll get isolated nigglings in one knee, or a hip.  I dunno, just things I worry about...  I raced motorcycles for 20 years, and racked up a number of major-ish injuries so it's also hard to tell sometimes when it's really something to worry about, or just an old injury coming back to bother me a bit.

It's a difficult thing to learn the difference between being sore, a normal pain (that just sounds weird, but, so is the life of a runner) and injury pain.  Again, I like to error on the side of caution, but I will add that it has probably been about 5 years since I've gone on a run where I didn't feel one little pain here or there when I first start out.  It's unfortunately something we all have to deal with - half the battle is knowing when to pull the plug.  Keep doing what you're doing, and you'll figure it out.    

2011-01-14 11:59 AM
in reply to: #3299671

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
I am 6'1" and the guy that is selling it is a 6'2" Is that about right for this frame size?

Unfortunately, all we can do is speculate from afar.  It is very possible that the bike *may* be a solid fit for you.  It depends on your inseam, upper body length, flexibility, etc.  At the end of the day, if you jump on the bike and it feels comfortable, that is the most important thing.  Just don't decide it's comfortable because you want the bike.  Decide you want the bike because it's comfortable.  Good luck! 
2011-01-14 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3299718

User image

Extreme Veteran
andrew_haberkorn - 2011-01-14 11:59 AM

Just don't decide it's comfortable because you want the bike.  Decide you want the bike because it's comfortable.  Good luck! 

Well said.
2011-01-14 1:05 PM

User image

Expert
otter_sh - 2011-01-12 6:14 PM Question, when I was riding I could feel pressure on my shoulder that had surgery, is this normal? I have had trouble with my hands falling asleep while riding in my previous training.  Or is this a form / setup problem?

I have problems with my hands falling asleep too.  And sometimes a bit of an issue with, well, I guess I'd call it a sleepy peepy.  Frown  I change hand positions a lot, and do my best to shift my weight around to keep the blood flowing down there...
2011-01-14 2:39 PM
in reply to: #3299927

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
norcal_SAHD - 2011-01-14 11:05 AM
otter_sh - 2011-01-12 6:14 PM Question, when I was riding I could feel pressure on my shoulder that had surgery, is this normal? I have had trouble with my hands falling asleep while riding in my previous training.  Or is this a form / setup problem?

I have problems with my hands falling asleep too.  And sometimes a bit of an issue with, well, I guess I'd call it a sleepy peepy.  Frown  I change hand positions a lot, and do my best to shift my weight around to keep the blood flowing down there...

Steve - are you on a trainer?  If so, have you elevated the front wheel so your bike is level?  If not, you will get more pressure on your arms/shoulders as you are essentially having to hold yourself back from sliding down your bike.

David - you are on rollers, correct?  If so, you wouldn't have the leveling issue.  I'm not really sure why you would be having that sensation (hands or sleepy peepy - which is an awesome description by the way).  While riding a trainer/rollers can be a little more uncomfortable, you shouldn't be going numb.  You don't have this issue while riding outside? 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24