Subject: RE: Tri/tbay group - CLOSED
Good luck tomorrow.  You'll do great!

2011-03-12 1:54 PM
in reply to: #3258876

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg

I'm Baaackkk!!! Guess Whaaaat? I got 1st Place Female First Timer and was 2nd Overall First Timer! My time was 1:35:05! Take it there were only 7 1st timers and 47 racers but I had a blast! It was actually a perfect morning. The pool was about 67 or 68 degrees and they had us line up according to what color swim cap and estimated time of swim. I told them I was a 10 minute because I didn't know when I signed up. So I jump in and get right to it and would you believe that I started passing people, 6 in all. Well that boosted my confidence right there. Got to the end, climbed the ladder and headed to T1, ripping off my wetsuit, and then WHOA, I got alittle light headed but pushed thru, put on socks, cycling shoes, etc....got on the bike smooth no issues. I wasn't even cold which I thought I would be and decided against a light jacket. It was a beautiful ride and I felt good until mile 12 when I was getting my GU out and I got a massive cramp or knot in my left rib. Might of been how I was angled, so I just started to massage it and it went away. Then it was game on 3 more miles let's go! Got to T2 and Hello JELLO LEGS, yeah I never quite got the chance to experience the full effect until now.lol. Boy trying to get your running shoes on numb feet can be quite challenging! Okay let the run begin! I did not feel my feet until after the first mile and then I was like "okay I got this" and next thing you know I see the Finish! Wow what an experience! Everyone was SUPER nice, and always looking to help with questions or concerns. Well now I know what I have to do for my Oly in a month! TRAIN! TRAIN!TRAIN!:0)

Thanks Again everyone for the well wishes and Talk to you later!

2011-03-12 3:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
AWESOME JOB!!!!!! I had actually looked at the results before checking to see if you had posted. Great job on the swim, 1st in the novice group, solid transitions and it is a nice ride out in the mining country of Polk County. Your excitement is very easy to feel in your post, I'm very happy for you to have had a great experience. Just what is  should have been. It probably was a position thing on getting the Gu and a cramp. I've had something similar happen before reaching to get my shoes on while on the move.

Very glad you had a great time. I wish I could have done it don't get very many opportunities to stay close to home.

Edited by tri/tbay 2011-03-12 3:21 PM
2011-03-13 2:27 PM
in reply to: #3394981

User image

Courtney,

1st place female 1st timer?!  Awesome job, congratulations!

Brian

2011-03-14 8:40 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Good job Courtney!  First tri and you're bringing home the hardware!

I learned an important lesson on our 100 miler this weekend.  Be sure when wearting compression sleves on your calves and bike shorts to put sunscreen on that small area between the two (the knee). 

Got in the show this morning and YOW!  Back of my knee is lobster red.

2011-03-14 11:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh

Congratulations Courtney on your finish...that is awesome!

I had a decent end of the week workout and weekend.  Last Wednesday I had a swim workout that just felt like I was swimming in quick sand.  Time was not bad, just felt sluggish.  Then on Friday's swim, it was the best I have felt.  Completed 1200 yds in 23 min.

On Saturday I went out and rode the farthest I have to date.  Had an absolute blast.  I covered 30.1 miles in 2:02:00.  It was pretty windy the whole day, so that was a challenge.  Felt like most of the ride was either into the wind or a crosswind.  I was fatigue when I finished, but it felt great!

I got in another 1200 yds in the pool this morning.  That 5:30 am start was tough to adjust to with the time change.  Body kept telling me it was only 4:30 am.

This coming Sunday is my half marathon in Cary, NC.  This is the Tobacco Road Half.  I am not the fastest in the world but I would like to try and break 2:20 for the first time.  I will be interested to see how the cycling and swimming will aid in my endurance.

I did have a grea questions for the group.  I want to find a good deal on some tri shorts.  I see prices all over the place.  What recommendations would you have for me?  Looking for an XL size.

Thanks

2011-03-14 12:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
GOOOOD DAY TO EVERYONE!  Nice to hear from you all. Well the seasons gotten off to a great start, Thanks Courtney. Now its Bretts turn this weekend in his half marathon. You can get the best time your looking for this weekend, stick to your plan. Not knowing what the forcast is for your area, make sure your dressed correctly, don't overdress if it going to be on the cool/cold side. Or if you need to start in a long sleeve top wear something old and chunk it at an aid station. A good friend of mine runs the golf course at Tobacco Road Golf Club in Sanford NC, not sure where that is from where your event is. Tri-shorts are going to run anywhere from $50-$100 or so. You can ebay and get some for less if you find the right size. All of the manufacturers make a good short, but it might take a pair or two until you finally decided on a preference. It looks like your making some nice gains in your training keep it up. 

I hope everyone else had a productive weekend, training is going as planned and counting the days until that first event. It gets to an exciting time of year leading up to the first event of ones season. Let us know how it is going. 

Edited by tri/tbay 2011-03-14 12:46 PM
2011-03-14 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3396554

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
TriRSquared - 2011-03-14 9:40 AM

I learned an important lesson on our 100 miler this weekend.  Be sure when wearting compression sleves on your calves and bike shorts to put sunscreen on that small area between the two (the knee). 

Thats a great example of why training rides/runs/swims of distance teach us things we are not really thinking about. But on the plus side you covered the century distance. Congrats-how did it go, how did you plan your day as it may relate to what you have later this summer?
2011-03-14 12:53 PM
in reply to: #3396994

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

I did have a grea questions for the group.  I want to find a good deal on some tri shorts.  I see prices all over the place.  What recommendations would you have for me?  Looking for an XL size.

Tri shorts are very personal.  You really have to try them before you'll know if oyu like them.  That being said I am partial to CW-X brand.  Kind of an unknown by my local running store carries them.  Price is right (About $50-60) and I think they are very comfortable.  I too am an XL (or XXL depending on the brand)

http://cw-x.com/ExploreProducts.aspx?gender=mens&product=tights&by=activity&sub=cycleTriathlon

Edited by TriRSquared 2011-03-14 12:53 PM
2011-03-14 12:57 PM
in reply to: #3397112

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
tri/tbay - 2011-03-14 1:49 PM
TriRSquared - 2011-03-14 9:40 AM

Thats a great example of why training rides/runs/swims of distance teach us things we are not really thinking about. But on the plus side you covered the century distance. Congrats-how did it go, how did you plan your day as it may relate to what you have later this summer?

Well my wife did it with me and I a bit faster than here, but was not going to let her ride out there alone so I did not push it as hard as I could.  We made a deal that I'd pull the entire way to give me a bit more of a workout.  Little did I know it was going to be a a headwind the entire way

So we ended up avg 15 with stops.  When moving we were probably going 17-18, a bit less when the win picked up.  Probably spent a bit more time at the stops that we would normally too.

We did practice hydration and nutrition and did a good job there.  Learned a few things too (it's easy to drink too much when it's not hot out)
We're looking for another one in late April or late May (after St As) if anyone has any suggestions.  After that one we are going to tack on a 6-7 mile run.

2011-03-14 10:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg

Thanks Roy, Brian, Sean, and Brett!!!! I don't know if you thought about looking on the BT Classified's for some Tri shorts, you might want new. I agree to try them on, I tried on 5 different pairs before one was comfortable on and comfortable on the wallet. I did find them 30% off though, you might be able to find some of last season's gear discounted. So I am looking into some Zoot running Tri shoes, because it was a pain trying to put on socks and I know for sure I could save alot of time( i.e. trying to balance to put on socks) in the transitions with out them. Any of you go sock-less? Feet First has some Zoot's on clearance and with a coupon I can get them for $68. Did I mention I like Sales and Clearance!

Anyway Good Luck this weekend Brett!!!! Nice job on your 1200yd swim! I hope to get there soon!

Yeah Sean I know what you mean about forgetting to apply sunscreen, etc....  I forgot to put chapstick on my lips for the bike and they are feeling windburn! You better believe it WILL be added to the bike bag! have a great day!

2011-03-15 1:43 PM
in reply to: #3397102

User image

Good afternoon group,

Training is going well.  My saturday ride went great, averaged 17mi/hr.  I think I have come to realize that building speed may take years, but I am OK with that because I think I am in it for the long haul.

This week is the end of the second build phase for me.

I tested my Achilles this morning on a 2mi. run and I had very slight discomfort.  I hope I am out of the woods.  Tonight I am going to the pool to get a quick 1500 in and test my new tri top.

Question:  I think I am going to repeat this last build phase for the run because of the achilles injury. I have two peak weeks built into the program, so I can at least get the last one.  Barring a higher degree of discomfort, Is my thinking correct or should I go back to the first month and not worry about the peak?

BTW this is the second week of missed runs for the program. 1) Blizzard 2)Injury

Good luck this weekend Brett.

Happy training all,

Brian

2011-03-16 6:35 AM
in reply to: #3398895

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
bjflynn - 2011-03-15 2:43 PM

Question:  I think I am going to repeat this last build phase for the run because of the achilles injury. I have two peak weeks built into the program, so I can at least get the last one.  Barring a higher degree of discomfort, Is my thinking correct or should I go back to the first month and not worry about the peak?

BTW this is the second week of missed runs for the program. 1) Blizzard 2)Injury

Hi Brian,

I think you might be on the right track to avoid injury or just a nagging pain. I looked at your logs and given the amount of run miles for this year I'd be reluctant to put to many miles on without knowing I'm good to go. As you move forward in your plan more speed work will be incorportated which is an area you will need to be careful with and can cause a problem if your achilles isn't cooperating. So this is a little set back for the run but it shouldn't keep you from moving ahead once you know your issue is going to be OK. Ice it after runs and be careful.
2011-03-17 8:49 AM
in reply to: #3399771

User image

Roy,

Thanks for the reply.  I did a little longer run this morning and experienced slightly more pain than on tuesday.  I used the "dixie cup" icing method after stretching and it seemed to help.  As it stand now I think it might be prudent to take another week off, and add some extra swim and bike.  The sprint is only a 2mi run so I am not too concerned about making that distance, I am just not sure if I can build back up to the oly distance by June, if I have to take many more weeks off.  If that is the case I guess I will have to force myself to walk some of it.

Brian

2011-03-17 11:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Brian as long as you don't have to stay off of it to long I don't think its going to hurt your training down the road for your Olympic distance. And the truth is, even though it doesn't seem that much longer of a distance you'll know it and a little walking may happen anyway. Nothing to be ashamed of. Heck on my first sprint I was wanting to walk about 3/4 of mile into the run, but I just said to myself I didn't come here to walk and managed it from there. During race day especially on the run there comes a time when you are going to battle some inner thoughts and that is what I respect so much about the top elites they have the same battles but they ignore it with positive self talk and get to the finish line. Your going to be OK, just be patient and don't get a long term injury.

Courtney OK I'm getting a little jealous about your new profile pics every other day. I 'm going to have get to digging and find a new one. I"m just kidding with you keep it up it shows your enjoying what your doing.

Happy St. Patty's Day to everyone have a good one.
2011-03-17 4:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg

Hey Brian,

Have you thought about an ankle brace to run in? The reason I am asking is that I have had some issues with my achilles area since Oct and it is getting better, but when I was at my Tri getting my after race massage (I know awesome right?) I asked her if she thought that  my pain was from a pull or strain in my achilles. She said she would be able to tell by the tendon being stringy or something and she also said that I don't have a strain or pull, but just needed to get an ankle brace and do calf raises to strengthen the ankle. So that's what I am doing and actually my ankle doesn't hurt with the brace on running. BTW I am not a doctor just what is working for me.:0)

Roy, Haahaa--- Just doing my part to keep y'all on your toes!!!! Profile Pic Wars! lol

Had a good swim this morning, got a late start so could only do 1800 yds 35 minutes. I will be going for a little run tonight with some ab work thrown in.

Have a Great Night!

2011-03-18 12:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Greetings to you all,

I hope everyone has had a great week of life, the weather for us Floridians has been outstanding this week I wish we could save a little of it for the summer months. Oh Well, not so much training for me this weekend although it would have been a great weekend, swim meet for me. Sean I'll be in your town this weekend at the Selby Aquatic Center on (Harry) Potter Park rd. all weekend. So I'll be coaching those young ones I have trained. Should a be a good weekend of training.

Whats on tap for everyone this weekend?

Brett Good Luck on your half marathon hope to get a good race report!!!!!!

Have a great weekend.
2011-03-18 2:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh
Thanks Roy! I will provide a report of the race. Heading to the expo in about 30 minutes for packet pickup. Hopefully there are some decent vendors there. The temp looks great for a 7am start. Supposed to be in the mid-40's. I like it when it is cooler. Went for a 5K run last night on my normal rolling hills course. The weather was great and I pushed it a little for me. Finished in 30:10, which is faster than my normal pace. Hoping to just find a rhythm on Sunday. Had a great 1200 yd swim this morning and hoping to get in a little run in the am tomorrow and to possibly ride the sprint triathlon course in the afternoon. That is just 3 weeks away now.
2011-03-18 10:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg

Nice to see new profile Pics finally! Haahaa!

Tomorrow will be my rest day, and I will do my long run on Sunday.

Good Luck on your Marathon Brett!!!!!

Roy good luck with the swim meet.

Everyone please have a Great weekend!

2011-03-19 12:03 AM
in reply to: #3402032

User image

tri/tbay - 2011-03-17 11:24 AM Brian as long as you don't have to stay off of it to long I don't think its going to hurt your training down the road for your Olympic distance. And the truth is, even though it doesn't seem that much longer of a distance you'll know it and a little walking may happen anyway. Nothing to be ashamed of. Heck on my first sprint I was wanting to walk about 3/4 of mile into the run, but I just said to myself I didn't come here to walk and managed it from there. During race day especially on the run there comes a time when you are going to battle some inner thoughts and that is what I respect so much about the top elites they have the same battles but they ignore it with positive self talk and get to the finish line. Your going to be OK, just be patient and don't get a long term injury.

Roy,

Thanks for the personal insight.  The last few days have been nearly pain free, but I htink that I am going to play it safe and take next week off from running.

Courtney,

Thanks for the advice.  What type and brand of brace do you have?  That post race massage sounds great. 

Brett,

Good luck on the marathon!

Training:

Luckily this week was a recovery week because life got in the way of a short bike and a short swim.  I am feeling a little out of it because this is the first week that I have missed out on either of them in a few months and this week I missed both of them.  I will, however, get in a good ride on Saturday.

BTW you guys are killing me with all the cool race profile pics.

Happy training,

Brian

2011-03-19 7:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg

Brian I got it at Walgreens, Made by Ace. Ankle Brace- Ultra Light- provides support and stability for a weak or injured ankle. Guess what it was on sale! Originally $27.99 reduced to $6.99. Look around I am sure CVS, Target, Walmart carry them too.

Don't worry Brian you will have some cool pics soon!!!!:0)

Edited by buc20 2011-03-19 7:20 AM

2011-03-20 2:38 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Yesterday was a 1:45 ride (went out too fast with the A group and paid the price..ouch)

Today was a 1:30 run. At 1PM.  In Florida.  When will I learn?  And it's not even full on summer yet.  Another ouch.

2011-03-20 3:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh
Good afternoon. I thought I would check in and let everyone know how my half marathon went today. I had a great race overall and set a new PR by 6 minutes! Time was 2:17:10. The first 3 miles were rolling hills and then we hit the tobacco trail for 7 miles which was flat. As soon as we got on the trail I came up to a guy who was a perfect pacer for me. I decided to stick with him. When I made the turn to see the finish line 100 yds away, I knew my goal of break 2:20 was going to happen. I got a little emotion inside knowing I had accomplished it. Definitely feeling the tire legs and soreness is starting to set in, but I would not change it.I will be working an update to my blog soon. You can see that address in my signature. Enjoy what is left of the weekend.
2011-03-20 7:36 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Great job.  Busting PRs is always cause for celebration.
2011-03-21 1:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Excellent Job Brett, a PR is a good feeling.  Keeps ya coming back for more. Well that two for two good races, I guess I'm next this weekend in Clermont. Not really a great race area for me, Clermont hills seems to own me. But this is an Olympic so not a lot of the hills to contend with. No taper for this one just going to follow the training plan and see how it goes. I am excited to race though, its time. 

The kids on the swim team really swam well this past weekend, always a good feeling to see them do well.

I hope everyone had a great weekend. We know Brett didCool

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri/tbay group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 17