BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto Villarroel's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2011-02-04 8:17 PM
in reply to: #3259938

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Ernesto Villarroel's Group - FULL
Yes, the heat drains me up, and there's nothing I can do about it. Last summer I ran on purpose at lunchtime in 100 degrees for two months trying to get ready for the summer races and I still exploded doing Disco Triathlon (Olympic) in 105, no shade.

Check what my running consists of nowadays:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=10043

Edited by evillarroel 2011-02-04 8:24 PM

2011-02-05 12:19 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
That is insane... but I guess that is one of the reasons we do what we do. We don't want to be 'normal', overweight and out of shape like the rest. I better get my butt out the door now.
2011-02-05 12:27 PM

El Paso
I now hate the gym, for now at least, because of the cold wether I went for a run in the treadmill at my gym, I often gon at nite, but today they had the heat on, I MEAN... come on, it was hell, I barely pull 3 miles and I was out of air and dizzy.. You are right mark, I forgot why every one calls me crazy, because we don't do things in the normal fashion.. tomorrow im/ goin to hit the street !!!
2011-02-05 6:28 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
I would like to share few pictures from this morning's ride. Maybe you will feel warmer a bit, it was over 30c and really humid here:

2011-02-06 7:49 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
Mark, was the car flipped over trying to avoid you? haha.
2011-02-06 8:27 PM
in reply to: #3338805

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
To all of you.

It's what you do when you don't feel like doing anything that makes the difference.

All of you are a tremendous inspiration to me, so please keep posting.  I am here by myself, convincing myself that I can do a "baby" sprint tri.  Every time a little doubt creeps in, I read the forum.  I read that you are running in the snow, riding in the heat and that you hate the ice too.  And then I have a little talke with myself.

Then I force myself to drive 45 minutes each way to the pool for a 30 minute workout and the hope that I will see a little progress since the last time.

I may not be strong, I may not be fast, I may not be young, but I won't quit because if I do, I can NEVER reach the finish line.

Thank you!

2011-02-06 8:43 PM
in reply to: #3342182

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
jdiis - 2011-02-06 8:27 PM To all of you.

It's what you do when you don't feel like doing anything that makes the difference.

All of you are a tremendous inspiration to me, so please keep posting.  I am here by myself, convincing myself that I can do a "baby" sprint tri.  Every time a little doubt creeps in, I read the forum.  I read that you are running in the snow, riding in the heat and that you hate the ice too.  And then I have a little talke with myself.

Then I force myself to drive 45 minutes each way to the pool for a 30 minute workout and the hope that I will see a little progress since the last time.

I may not be strong, I may not be fast, I may not be young, but I won't quit because if I do, I can NEVER reach the finish line.

Thank you!

Jackie, it is people like you who are an inspiration. I can only speak for myself, but when I hear how much workouts and races mean to others, who just started the journey - my motivation comes back. After years of regular workouts it's easy to lose sight of 'WHY' and become complacent. Thank you for your kind words.

2011-02-06 8:47 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Ernesto, thanks buddy... but no. I have seen quite a few cars like that on that side of the mountains in the sugar cane fields. Kids steal cars and test their driving (while being totally drunk), then leave them. You just hope no innocent people (like myself... Wink) get hurt in the process.
2011-02-06 9:56 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

Thank you!

Jackie, what you wrote is lovely. Thanks for the inspiration, like Mark says, you are the true inspiration. It takes a lot more will at the beginning than after years of doing this, because to me this is second nature and almost necessary to live. But I don't forget how hard it was to run two miles or to loop White Rock Lake on my bike (9 miles). I still remember the emotion when I finished my first 5K, which at the time was about double my longest training distance.
Keep strong Jackie and everybody! That what it is all about. The distance is just a number...

Edited by evillarroel 2011-02-06 9:57 PM
2011-02-07 6:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Thank you!

Thank You Jackie!

I'm in about the same place as you are (especially with the swimming) and have yet to get on my bike although it's set up on the trainer. There are many mornings when I wake up and wonder why I am doing this and then I remember the feelings I had when I completed my first (albeit slow) marathon 4 years ago. I look forward to that same feeling of elation when I complete my first Tri no matter how ugly the swim portion may be.
2011-02-07 1:37 PM

El Paso
YOU ROCK JACKIE!!!

Today I woke up and due to a frustrating weekend, I was seriously questioning my motives and drive to do this I was looking for a reason to stop and I was convincing my self with mediocre success ..  my motive started when someone told my that I could never do a Marathon and that a tri was imposible for me, I recently droped everything that I was doing (2years ago) to change my carrer, my location and all.. (from Juarez Mx to El Paso Tx not a whole lot of distance but a major change in culture) Im now in collage about to finish my associate, and will transfer. Well I'm glad to say that my motive and drive has change, Im now doing this because I want to, for me, to show my kids that nothing is imposible, to show my wife that she can to do this. THank you Jackie for your words, and thank you all for your posting..   wow ho..  lets do this !!  im goin to the pool !!!   wops, its close due to watter shortage,,  dam cold!!  not really i love the cold, I hate the heat !!

2011-02-07 8:47 PM

User image

I haven't posted in over a week but I'm still here.  I got a decent week of workouts in when I first signed up but then slacked for a week.  Its been really hard getting back in to training, I have a hard time working out in the dead of winter.  Like a lot of people, I can't stand the treadmill.  Luckily, although I'd much rather be outside, I don't mind spin class.  I do have a bike trainer but it is almost as bad as the treadmill.  My plan this week is to run tomorrow, go to spin class and strength train Wednesday, swim Thursday, run Friday, go to spin class Saturday, and to swim Sunday.  I'll see how the week goes and reevaluate Sunday night.   On March 14 I'm going to start following the 12 week "fit beginner plan for an Olympic distance triathlon" plan found in Gale Bernhardt's "Triathlon Training Basics".  Everything from now until then will just be building up the stamina to help me follow through with the plan once I start it.  Once the plan gets going there usually are 3 swims, 3 bike rides, & 3 runs a week.  I'm going to stick to 2 of each for now though, I don't want to quickly burn out.

My goal is to lose around 20 pounds before race day.  It shouldn't be too hard, I was around 190-195 last summer and I'm around 215 now.
2011-02-07 10:02 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Swimming Breakthrough - This is So Fun, Finally
Thanks everyone for all of your kinds words.  Keep posting, it helps to hear that others are in the same place.

So, last week I could not swim more than 75 yards without stopping.  Tonight I swam 150 yards and then stopped.  After a brief rest, I swam another 100 yards without stopping.  Then another rest, and another 100 yards without stopping.  So, I know it wasn't just a fluke.  And I felt like I could keep going, but I didn't want to overdo it.

I felt like the water was my friend tonight.  I wasn't fighting it, I was dancing with it.  Finally.  And you know what I think the key was?  Before I went to the pool, I was at the bike store getting my bike inspected.  I met a female triathlete.  I asked her for some tips on swimming.  She told me that she's heard it takes about 7 years to get the swim down really well.  So I told myself that since I've only been swimming for just 2 months I should quit expecting so much so soon.  I think I took the pressure off and voila!
2011-02-07 10:12 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Back to Back Swims?
Quick question to all/anyone in the group.

I bike, run and rest in between the pool schedule because the pool is the farthest away and takes the most elapsed time counting driving.  Swimming is currently my weakest area.

Went to the pool tonight (Monday).  I can go back Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday. 

Should I go swimming all of those days or what days would you recommend? 
2011-02-08 3:01 AM
in reply to: #3344261

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: RE: Back to Back Swims?
jdiis - 2011-02-07 10:12 PM Quick question to all/anyone in the group.

I bike, run and rest in between the pool schedule because the pool is the farthest away and takes the most elapsed time counting driving.  Swimming is currently my weakest area.

Went to the pool tonight (Monday).  I can go back Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday. 

Jacke, here's my take on it, but please, take it as what I would do, not an advice to you.
The usual training routine for a busy/working person is doing longer workouts on weekends and short ones during the week. Since swimming is low impact and great for recovery - Monday is ideal for it. Now, it takes you a long time to drive to the pool and while this is your weakest link, you don't want to get burned out by doing too much. Consistency is much more important than quick progress. I swim only once a week (and have been doing it for years)... but then again, I just want to do the distance, not race with anyone. For me having fun and enjoying it is the key!

Edited by markz 2011-02-08 3:03 AM
2011-02-08 8:01 AM
in reply to: #3344323

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Back to Back Swims?
markz - 2011-02-08 3:01 AM
jdiis - 2011-02-07 10:12 PM Quick question to all/anyone in the group.

Jacke, here's my take on it, but please, take it as what I would do, not an advice to you.
The usual training routine for a busy/working person is doing longer workouts on weekends and short ones during the week. Since swimming is low impact and great for recovery - Monday is ideal for it. Now, it takes you a long time to drive to the pool and while this is your weakest link, you don't want to get burned out by doing too much. Consistency is much more important than quick progress. I swim only once a week (and have been doing it for years)... but then again, I just want to do the distance, not race with anyone. For me having fun and enjoying it is the key!

I agree with Mark on the fact that the distance has to be put in on Saturdays and Sundays (that accounts for more than 50% of my volume) and that Mondays are great for swimming because of the recovery. Now, I DO recommend to swim more than once a week not only for the benefits of swimming faster and easier but also from the aerobic gains you get from the swim.
I do however favor swimming in groups (same level). It takes all the boredom out of it, makes it more competitive.
Last week I had to swim by myself and I couldn't force myself to go beyond 2,000yds; the day after I swam 4,450yds in a group session with no problem.
Mark, if you don't mind the advice, I did the same as you in my rookie Ironman year (2009), I approached the water without a goal, just to finish the leg and get on my bike. Trust me, there's a lot more out there that is up for grabs.

2011-02-08 3:37 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Ernesto, I agree with you and thank you for your input. I would like to approach the event with more seriousness next time around, right now it seems so overwhelming, I am simply afraid to do it...
2011-02-08 3:45 PM
in reply to: #3345638

User image

Master
Dallas
markz - 2011-02-08 3:37 PM Ernesto, I agree with you and thank you for your input. I would like to approach the event with more seriousness next time around, right now it seems so overwhelming, I am simply afraid to do it...

Don't be afraid, it's just a long day at the office. I looked at your logs and the hay is in the barn, you'll finish and you'll do it in a good time too.
2011-02-08 9:15 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: New Garmin 305
Ok, they delivered it to school today.  I quickly set it up, and I mean quickly.  I had a horrible run, but the Garmin was fun.  It was neat to see my route from the air Smile.

I managed to upload my run to BT using Garmin Connect, but my heart rate zones did not come through.  Anybody know why?

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/67355577

Can someone now interpret these zones for me?  It looks like I stayed primarily in zone 4 for most of my run.  I didn't feel like I was in zone 4 that long.  That should be a hard zone, right?  Near as I can tell, my max heart rate is around 180.
2011-02-08 9:59 PM
in reply to: #3345638

User image

Expert

Mark,

Fear is False Evidence Appearing Real!  You can do it.  Feel the fear and do it anyway.   This group is 100% behind you.

I guess everyone must be a little afraid before anything they haven't done before.  But think what it will be like at the finish line.  Think about the sweet victory of finishing.  Think about how many times you were afraid and things turned out to be no big deal.

My mom ( the whole family are Steeler fans) asked me yesterday if I knew what the Green Bay Packers were doing in the locker room the day before the Super Bowl.  She told me the coach was measuring their fingers for their "Super Bowl rings".  The day BEFORE the game.  What a visualization.  She also told me that the Green Bay quarterback was holed up in his hotel room watching films of the opposition rather than going out partying with the rest of the team.  Talk about dedication, and did it pay off!

Besides, it's all about the journey, right? 

2011-02-08 10:13 PM
in reply to: #3305826

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ernesto Villarroel's Group - OPEN
Jennifer,

I figured out how to get the email notifications.  It's at the bottom of the page where it says "toggle e-mail notification" under actions.  It sends you an email everytime somebody posts in the thread.

Edited by jdiis 2011-02-08 10:13 PM

2011-02-08 10:54 PM
in reply to: #3346202

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
jdiis - 2011-02-08 9:59 PM

Mark,

Fear is False Evidence Appearing Real!  You can do it.  Feel the fear and do it anyway.   This group is 100% behind you.

I guess everyone must be a little afraid before anything they haven't done before.  But think what it will be like at the finish line.  Think about the sweet victory of finishing.  Think about how many times you were afraid and things turned out to be no big deal.

My mom ( the whole family are Steeler fans) asked me yesterday if I knew what the Green Bay Packers were doing in the locker room the day before the Super Bowl.  She told me the coach was measuring their fingers for their "Super Bowl rings".  The day BEFORE the game.  What a visualization.  She also told me that the Green Bay quarterback was holed up in his hotel room watching films of the opposition rather than going out partying with the rest of the team.  Talk about dedication, and did it pay off!

Right! Thank you Jackie. I like that kind of motivation. When I was working for a building firm in Illinois we had to watch the movie 'Miracle' many times over... I still like it. Success depends on the hunger for it.
Hey, maybe I should even tattoo myself in advance..? Just kidding, but I will get one afterwards for sure.
Thank you again.
2011-02-09 12:57 PM
in reply to: #3346251

User image

Master
Dallas
markz - 2011-02-08 10:54 PM
jdiis - 2011-02-08 9:59 PM

Mark,

Right! Thank you Jackie. I like that kind of motivation. When I was working for a building firm in Illinois we had to watch the movie 'Miracle' many times over... I still like it. Success depends on the hunger for it.
Hey, maybe I should even tattoo myself in advance..? Just kidding, but I will get one afterwards for sure.
Thank you again.

The other day I read that Dirk Bockel (multiple IM champ) visualizes the race and all the stages and then writes it down with a happy ending. Maybe that’s a good idea too, if you have positive thoughts they’re more likely to become realities. It also helps you to fight the demons that come to your head during the run in Ironman trying to make you walk. Don’t listen to them and keep running, no matter how slow, but keep running. Just reward yourself with a little walk at the aid stations but start running immediately after you leave it. The run is just 26 one mile repeats!

2011-02-09 8:20 PM
in reply to: #3346137

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: New Garmin 305
jdiis - 2011-02-08 9:15 PM Ok, they delivered it to school today.  I quickly set it up, and I mean quickly.  I had a horrible run, but the Garmin was fun.  It was neat to see my route from the air Smile.

I managed to upload my run to BT using Garmin Connect, but my heart rate zones did not come through.  Anybody know why?

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/67355577

Can someone now interpret these zones for me?  It looks like I stayed primarily in zone 4 for most of my run.  I didn't feel like I was in zone 4 that long.  That should be a hard zone, right?  Near as I can tell, my max heart rate is around 180.

Jackie,

For your HR zones you have to create them yourself. This is done from your training log, then every time you have a workout it will calculate how long you were in each training zone. There's two or three methods, use Maffetone's.
I looked at your file, this is my recommendation:
When you're gonna start running, walk about 12-15 minutes at an increasingly demanding pace (instead of stretching), towards the end of the walk you should be walking at 15 or 16min/miles (brisk). Then the jog begins, run for a period of thirty minutes and then do the walk again. Once you do this we'll go over your HR, it should go down quite a bit when you start walking the second time. If it doesn't it's a clear sign of poor aerobic base. This would explain you running out of breath in the pool. The good news: it's easy to work on that and almost effortless. Let's talk again.
2011-02-09 8:46 PM

User image

Expert
This is pretty inspirational.  Cool

www.videowired.com/video/1664638994/

School closed early today and we start late tomorrow.  I think I'm ready for the 100 degree heat!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto Villarroel's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 25