BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Destination MoP Group is FULL (of motivated life jugglers) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2011-01-18 9:13 PM
in reply to: #3260273

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Destination MoP Group is FULL (of motivated life jugglers)
OMG! An hour on the trainer watching "Million Dollar Drop." Spring has to get here and SOON!

2011-01-18 10:19 PM
in reply to: #3307764

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Ron, really glad to see you and your daughter's faces back - congrats to your wife on her first HM.  And even better, sounds like she's psyched to do her next one.  I gather you're in Washington... surely there is a coffee shop closer than 2 miles ;-)  I was amazed when I was in Seattle how many coffee shops could possibly be in one block... and all busy too!!!  Y'all love your coffee out there :-)  Good luck with the runs... at 5x / week, that will be a great base to build from.  Once you've conquered that, then we should talk about mixing up the distance and intensity some.

Rachel - I know how that goes with goals which is why I like to set 4-5 of them each month.  One of mine for this month was to run 25+ miles / week.  Well, then came the hamstring issue... poof.  Goal gone (temporarily).  In both our cases, the goals were good ones, and what kept us from meeting it was beyond our control (and not smart to ignore).  So, look to the other goal and replace the goal you can't do this week with something else.  No prob.  It's nice to have goals in different areas - like nutrition, core work, etc., that give you more flexibility.  But heck, one of the great things about tris are that you almost always have another discipline you can work on.  btw, one of my long term goals is to bike to work more.  It's such a win-win-win!

I've never had any bike seat issues until, oddly enough, my bike class on Monday.  Let's see, how do I ask this question... was it a general soreness (e.g. something that is likely just getting used to being on a bike for awhile) or was there a specific area that was the problem.  On Monday, I didn't realize I had an issue, but it seems that when we were doing some of the hover drills, one part of my butt was catching the seat from time to time and boy did I feel it this morning.  Make sure it isn't something like that.

Thanks to everyone for your kind thoughts.  Also thanks to Michael for stopping by.  As Heidi mentioned, he is an amazing source of information and he was a great inspiration to me last year.  I will likely link to a couple of his posts as we go... might as well go directly to the source :-)

I had a good swim today and a lane all to myself for the full hour workout... what a nice surprise.  Parking seems to be getting easier as well... the resolutionists are already starting to drop out.  BUT NOT WITH OUR GROUP!!! 

And a confession... got home around 9pm from my guitar class and sat on the couch eating chips and salsa while watching The Biggest Loser... and no, the irony was not lost on me!  Guess I earned a little extra workout tomorrow!

See y'all tomorrow - sleep well.

-Stu

2011-01-18 10:23 PM

User image

HI all!

Yesterday was my off day (had a date with my husband and ate more sushi then I should have).  So today was a full day of work, and a trip to the Y.  I did get in a short run, spin class, and I did some stregnth training.  So for me my week is off to a good start.  Tomorrow is another day, though. Hoping to get a decent run in after work.  Really don't like running alone in the dark, so I may have to hit the elliptical.

Anne- I ate the last of the oatmeal bars, I made from your recipie, tonight after my workout.  Everyone here thought they were great.  Thanx!

Hope everyone has a good day tomorrow and get thier workouts in.
-Yvette

2011-01-19 12:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Thanks everyone for their input on my saddle soreness(!

Stu - it's just general soreness I think.  I'm okay for my ride, but then the next time I get on the bike the boney bits just haven't quite recovered from the previous time, and they're okay at the beginning, but it gets worse as the time gets longer.  I don't know if I need to get a saddle fitted or just suck it up till I develop, um, calluses? ;-)  It's definitely not rubbing, I think just bits of my anatomy aren't used to making direct contact when I sit!

As I suspected it is frosty this morning, so no cycling to work for me :-(  Have to do an extra good run this evening to make up for it :-)

Hope everyone has a good day.  Keep up the fantastic work everyone!

Rach
2011-01-19 5:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Sorry I can't contribute much to the saddle soreness discussion as I am not cycling this winter. I will say that the spin bike used during my tri on Sat hurt. I think the really low resistance kept all of my weight on the sit bones. I wonder if you upped your resistance a touch if the pressure on that area wod be reduced.I got I a run/walk last night. I've increase the running portion to make it more challenging. It was a bit tougher, but I got it done.
2011-01-19 7:23 AM
in reply to: #3307950

User image

Expert
chapfallen - 2011-01-19 1:57 AM Stu - it's just general soreness I think.  I'm okay for my ride, but then the next time I get on the bike the boney bits just haven't quite recovered from the previous time, and they're okay at the beginning, but it gets worse as the time gets longer.  I don't know if I need to get a saddle fitted or just suck it up till I develop, um, calluses? ;-)  It's definitely not rubbing, I think just bits of my anatomy aren't used to making direct contact when I sit!

Rach, based on what you're describing and the amount of time on the bike showing in your logs, I'd lean toward the explanation that you're just getting used to it and it will get better with more time.  And yes, Ron 56 miles on the saddle is a long way, but fortunately by that point, there's more sore than just your butt ;-)  Luckily, most people don't just get on a bike and go 56 miles, but work up to it over time and by the time one gets to that distance, they are more or less prepared for it.

Don't know if any of you are interested in orthotics, but came across this interesting article in the NYT this morning which leaves me with more questions than answers, but an interesting read none-the-less.

Have a great day everyone!

-Stu

2011-01-19 9:04 AM

User image

Mill Creek, Washington
Stu,

You nailed my location.  I'm on the other side of Lake Washington from Seattle, and sure enough, there are 3 coffee shops within a mile of my house.  Believe it or not, one of them is a Starbucks.

I'm going for the further Starbucks since it will get me on running some big hills and it'll give me a good 2 miles, short rest, then another 2 miles.

Luckily, the bikini barista coffee hut 3 miles away became family friendly, so my wife won't be questioning my motivation.

Ron
2011-01-19 9:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Rach-

My first season training I had pain in my sit bones, and boys avert your eyes- numbness in the girly parts.

Here are my tips:

1- PADDED BIKE SHORTS. Go to nashbar, they have a gel padding and make sure you get well-reviewed WOMEN'S bike shorts. Padding is designed different. I say that because I am a tall girl and often have bought boys equipment and regret it.
2- like everything it WILL get better with time. Make sure you are going up in distance and time slowly and not trying to do too much at once.

Yesterday was my day off and I needed it. Did short core work with the husband in the morning. We also have ice here today, so everyone is home with me. Baby is on day 2 of antibiotics for her 4th ear infection this winter and we finally slept last night. Today is a treadmill run and then yoga after the kids are in bed.

Congrats on the weight loss!

I have the exact opposite happen when I am training- I have a base weight, and then my weight goes UP as I am training and building muscle, but I shrink clothes sizes. My point is, for those of you that are doing tris to lose weight, make sure you are measuring your success in inches, not just in what the scale says.

2011-01-19 10:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Ran and did weights this morning. Life is still crazy, but I'm starting to be more observant finding those cracks for training. Bike trainer tonight.

Food logging has bee a failure, once again. : ) However, must be doing something right I'm down 6 pounds from the 10th..... 239.6 Really just trying to keep my eating clean and cutting back on carbs.
Clothes are looser which is good because I gave all my fat clothes away!

I'm so behind on my reading. I know Stu was collecting info o goals, but I can't find the post. These short term goals, season goals or what?

Phil
2011-01-19 11:27 AM
in reply to: #3308643

User image

Expert
StlPhil - 2011-01-19 11:05 AM Ran and did weights this morning. Life is still crazy, but I'm starting to be more observant finding those cracks for training. Bike trainer tonight.

Food logging has bee a failure, once again. : ) However, must be doing something right I'm down 6 pounds from the 10th..... 239.6 Really just trying to keep my eating clean and cutting back on carbs.
Clothes are looser which is good because I gave all my fat clothes away!

I'm so behind on my reading. I know Stu was collecting info o goals, but I can't find the post. These short term goals, season goals or what?

Phil

Great job finding the cracks! And, congrats on the weight loss. I think you sent some of that weight my way. Birthday cakes are my downfall.
Stu was looking for goals for the remainder of January. I think the chart  he created, is on page 9 or 10.

I managed a 20 minute cardio this morning, before work. After work, I'm hoping to get a run in at the Y. But we have family in town, and coming over for dinner tonight, so it'll be a tight squeeze.
-Heidi
2011-01-19 3:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Thanks for all the feedback guys.  My husband is looking at changing his bike seat because he's got a really hard, really narrow seat, which is apparently very painful.  Following what you guys have said, and some info he got from a bike shop today about his options I think I probably am just going to have to suck it up and wait for it to get conditioned.  But that's okay.  It's taking longer each time to get really painful.

I do have padded shorts/pants and also a tri suit which has slightly less padding.  All of them help to an extent.  I'll get there :-)

This evening we did a time trial at the tri club track session.  I'm quite disappointed as my time is slower than last time, but I haven't been to a track session since early december due to a combination of work and snow, so I guess I couldn't really expect anything else.  Just have to keep working on that too...  On the positive side my splits were really consistent, so while I was slow, at least I was steadily slow!

Tomorrow morning is my fitness test at work, so I've just had a massive carb load and now I'm off for an ice bath (argh!) to hopefully help my legs recover too.

Edited by chapfallen 2011-01-19 3:29 PM

2011-01-19 3:47 PM
in reply to: #3309526

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
@chapfallen

One word in saddles: Adamo IMO. Eliminated my pain, numbness and all other male problems associated with cycling. 

Edited by StlPhil 2011-01-19 3:49 PM
2011-01-19 4:25 PM
in reply to: #3308643

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Food logging is time consuming...sometimes just a piece of scrap paper is better than nothing...you can always start over any time and then it won't be a failure!  congrats on the weight loss...lucky! I weigh exactly the same as last year but wear a size smaller! 

2011-01-19 4:29 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Keep up the great work everyone!  You all are so inspiring!  keeping me on my toes for sure!

Training wise, yesterday was a great day.  Made all my training goals; kept up with the plan and hit the gym before leaving for work then hit it again to do some strength training in the evening.  One day down; today will be a day off for me and I will switch my bike training to Thursdays because I start school tonight. 

Wednesdays are going to be looooonnnng days; leave the house at 6:15 in the am and won't get home until 10:00pm.  Hmmm getting to the gym on Thursday morning will be a tough one!

2011-01-19 4:35 PM
in reply to: #3309660

User image

Expert
Phil - goal chart is basically similar to what I did with the group last year - 2 goals that we'll track each month.  After you send me yours I'll update the chart and if I get lucky, put it at (or near the top of a page).

x2 on Anne's comment about weight and sizes.  I've watched my weight go down and the gut go out at the same time.  Also, not generally a good idea to watch the scale on a daily basis... better to choose some morning each week and use that as your metric.  Don't get discouraged if you're doing the right stuff (e.g. exercising and making better eating choices).  Sometimes it takes a bit for your body to adjust to the new regime :-)

Got in a short run today with no hamstring problems.  I'll do that again on Friday and then try to up the distance a bit.  Will stay away from interval training for awhile yet.  Seems that pushing the pace is what causes the strain.

-Stu
2011-01-19 6:12 PM

User image

Mill Creek, Washington
I'll agree with Cynthia.  Having a group to report to has kept me on my toes as well.

I ran 4.2 miles today, which I've never done before.  It's supposed to rain here tomorrow afternoon, so I think I'll take my daughter for a long bike ride to gauge the adjustments I made to the gears on my old bike (Raleigh Rapide, 1980?), and we'll buy some groceries too.

We'll haul the combo bike trailer/jogging stroller, just in case my work causes problems.

I hope you all feel as good as I do today.

2011-01-19 8:23 PM

User image

Hi everyone. Got to do an outside run at the beach today (4.5 mi) and then I did a TRX workout. Was tiring but felt good. I need to buy a new pair of shoes and just don't want to fork out the $$.
I have been keeping with my goals and have been watching my eating, but haven't dropped a pound in a month of working out, but I do feel much stronger. I'm hoping all of a sudden it will kick in and these extra 10 pounds will start to come off.
Have a great night and thanks to everyone for the inspiration. I'm learning so much from your posts and most of all I'm realizing that even if we are at different levels of experience we all similarly have complicated lives and yet find ways to balance everything. I'm so thankful I discovered this website and managed to get into this MoP group.
2011-01-19 9:37 PM
in reply to: #3309841

User image

Expert
rlh98296 - 2011-01-19 7:12 PM I'll agree with Cynthia.  Having a group to report to has kept me on my toes as well.

I ran 4.2 miles today, which I've never done before.  It's supposed to rain here tomorrow afternoon, so I think I'll take my daughter for a long bike ride to gauge the adjustments I made to the gears on my old bike (Raleigh Rapide, 1980?), and we'll buy some groceries too.

We'll haul the combo bike trailer/jogging stroller, just in case my work causes problems.

I hope you all feel as good as I do today.

Fantastic, Ron!!  Congrats!  Wow, an old Raleigh... I rode a 3 speed Raleigh to school and paper routes growing up (bought used at a school auction).  Enjoy the ride :-)
2011-01-20 5:27 AM

User image

Expert
Came across this blog in another thread this morning and thought you all might enjoy it... a little on the academic side, but I thought, very accurate based on my experiences as well.

Confused about what to eat?
2011-01-20 5:34 AM

SO I signed up at our local pool three days ago hopung I could start swimming atleast 2 to 3 dsys a week. Yesterday it didn't work out like that and today I work so i'm shooting for tomorrow. It's been a year since I swam kadt so it will def be interesting.....hope everyone has an awesome day!
2011-01-20 6:22 AM

User image

Expert
Great runs Ron an Joanne!
Jennifer- good luck with getting in the pool.

Last night I spent my allotted time for the gym, out in the driveway shoveling ice and sludge.Grrr. An hour and 20 minutes of upper body workout was not how I wanted to spend that time, especially since I wanted to run. By the time I got done, my wrists were aching and my back was tight. I couldn't fit a trip to the gym in after that.

Bag is packed and in the car, so the plan is to go right after work!

2011-01-20 8:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Luckily my husband handled the driveway ice removal yesterday.  It's not perfect but it's ok with all wheel drive.  At least getting up and out is OK.  I guess I'll see how going down the hill is tonight when I go home.

Today's plan includes a swim and exercise class.  Tomorrow should be swim and run, but forecasted snow may keep me from the pool.

Edited by rustymom 2011-01-20 8:58 AM
2011-01-20 2:43 PM

User image

Found out that the pool is going to be closed tomorrow for maintenance and also on Saturday for a meet so I had every intention of swimming at lunch. Well, so much for good plans when you get sick! Horrible head ache so unless I feel better later I guess I'll shoot for a swim on Sunday.  Our pool has odd rec swim hours (lunch hour and 8:30 to 10pm) so it's hard for me to fit it in.  Also, the semester has cranked up and I'm overloaded with class prep etc.
I know I sound cranky and need to take a chill pill. 
I think I need to remind myself that life is darn good and just step away from the computer every few hours!  On Sat it will be 7 weeks until my 1st tri and I'm getting even more nervous!
Some have mentioned various websites for ordering things and I've had good luck finding deals at sierratradingpost.com.  They are usually last years models, but are great prices. However, I am a fan of shopping at locally owned businesses.
Have a great rest of the day,
Joanne
2011-01-20 3:52 PM

User image

Mill Creek, Washington
Joanne,
is there a link to the sprint you're doing?  I know you're on the other side of the country from me, but I'm interested in seeing what you're doing for your first.  I haven't signed up for one yet, and am still nervous about jumping in, so kudos to you for setting a goal to train for.
2011-01-20 4:24 PM
in reply to: #3311952

User image

Hi everyone!

Well today was my day off and I intended to swim and go to spin class tonight. But, I just didn't feel like swimming this morning and had talked myself out of spin class tonight until I just saw an "inspire" in my training log.   Now I am totally motivated to make it to my spin class tonight. Thanks Stu!

Ron- For my first tri, I found an indoor sprint tri at one of our local rec centers.  I think it was swimming an 800 in the pool, a stationary bike ride for 10 miles, and a 4mile run on the indoor track. The neat thing about this rec center was that they offered a 10 week tri class prior to the actual event.  You may look into your local centers to see if they offer anything like that.  I learned quite a bit from the class.  Also know that our Y is having a two day "spring sprint tri" in April, where you swim in the pool on fri and bike, run on sat.  That's an easy way to ease into your first tri.  Good luck, and I hope you find one to do.

Hope everyone has a great evening!
-Yvette
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Destination MoP Group is FULL (of motivated life jugglers) Rss Feed  

of 26