BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QueenZipp & Dexter's good cop/ bad cop - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-01-31 4:08 PM
in reply to: #3261875

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: QueenZipp & Dexter's good cop/ bad cop - FULL
^^^  Yeah, I think you're on to something there!! Wink

2011-01-31 4:32 PM

User image

Master
PNW
Lee - is that out of your headset?  What happened to it??
2011-01-31 7:22 PM
in reply to: #3331679

User image

Veteran
Nassau, Bahamas
yeah, thats the lower one between the frame and the fork.  I think it must have popped out while shipping it back from my last tri, only rode once since and it was loose, pulled it apart earlier and found that!  will be replacing tomorrow.

did my first true masters swim workout - actually, I just swam with the high school kids most of whom are getting ready for CARIFTA (caribbean games)!  The workout was over 6500m - i think I duked out about 5500-5800 of it! foooooooooooood.
2011-01-31 7:52 PM
in reply to: #3331943

User image

Veteran
Sydney
Now I am as much knowledgeable about bikes as a politian is honest, but even I know that aint right Lee

Great work on that swim btw ... the only way I would be going 5500-5800 in water is straight down! 
2011-01-31 7:54 PM
in reply to: #3331943

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
islandflyer - 2011-01-31 7:22 PM yeah, thats the lower one between the frame and the fork.  I think it must have popped out while shipping it back from my last tri, only rode once since and it was loose, pulled it apart earlier and found that!  will be replacing tomorrow.

did my first true masters swim workout - actually, I just swam with the high school kids most of whom are getting ready for CARIFTA (caribbean games)!  The workout was over 6500m - i think I duked out about 5500-5800 of it! foooooooooooood.

YOWSA!  THat's a heck of a swim!  THe one they put in the USAT mag I mentioned the other day would be good for you or Dud....4400 yards.  I named it the HOLYSH&T Swim when I copied the set.
2011-01-31 7:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Sydney
Was wondering if anyone had ideas on healthy snacks. Since starting the training, I have noticed my appetite has become ridiculous. I am needing constant top ups through out the day as the body burns all the fuel from the main meals. Not wanting to blow the kcal in vs out equation as I try to drop this weight, I am struggling to know what to snack on (I have my 2 pieces of fruit, salads etc. but need more!).

More more more ..... huuunggrryyyy .... any ideas? (home made or otherwise

2011-01-31 8:29 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Healthy snacks:
veggies with hummus.....low fat cheese.....whole grains....low fat yogurt......string cheese......cottage cheese.......pistashhios, or other nuts but you have to be careful of the fat content....
2011-01-31 8:36 PM
in reply to: #3332084

User image

Veteran
Sydney
Like the vegies and hummus idea ... unfortunately I am strictly dairy free these days after the illness so that rules out the cheeses as good as they sound (home made ice cream cake was the exception )

Edited by Akuma 2011-01-31 8:46 PM
2011-01-31 8:48 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
All natural peanutbutter with apples.  Hard boiled eggs.  Anytime you can put a little protein with the carbs you may have a fuller feeling and it may hold you more.  Still not more than a couple hundred calories for a snack.

Could you keep single serving cans of healthy soups or something at your desk to heat up in a pinch for a snack?

In the group I mentored a few years ago we challenged each other to try one new fruit or vegetable a week.  I had never liked avocados until that challenge.  Now I buy an avocado almost every week.

The dairy free is a bit of a challenge.  There are things that people do with soy milk but I haven't really tried and of the recipes to say they're any good. 
2011-01-31 8:56 PM
in reply to: #3332131

User image

Veteran
Sydney
Some great suggestions ... I actually run a home business, so no problems with supplies in that respect, soup is a good idea for sure.
2011-01-31 9:02 PM
in reply to: #3332142

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-01-31 9:47 PM

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
I'm a big fruit and veggie fan, however, here in Japan they're crazy expensive.  Two days ago we were looking at about $1.90 per apple.  "Sorry kids we need to buy doritos because apples are too expensive," just doesn't cut it.  Peaches are around $4 a piece the few weeks a year they're here and strawberries were over $8 for a little plastic container full.  Don't even get me started on the $19.00 per lbs jalapenos.

I've always been a big slim fast drinker.  When I was a cop, student, stay at home dad, now teacher, I've always had slim fast products near me.  Doesn't work for some people but I have it set in my mind that it works for me so it sort of does......except for right now, I'm starving.
2011-01-31 10:11 PM

Veteran
Fresno, CA
x2 on the veggies and hummus combo and the almond milk.

Can you do dairy derivatives?  An almond milk protein shake made with chocolate whey protein powder can be mighty delicious and mighty filling.
2011-01-31 10:47 PM
in reply to: #3332028

Master
San Diego, CA
Akuma - 2011-01-31 5:59 PM Was wondering if anyone had ideas on healthy snacks. Since starting the training, I have noticed my appetite has become ridiculous. I am needing constant top ups through out the day as the body burns all the fuel from the main meals. Not wanting to blow the kcal in vs out equation as I try to drop this weight, I am struggling to know what to snack on (I have my 2 pieces of fruit, salads etc. but need more!).

More more more ..... huuunggrryyyy .... any ideas? (home made or otherwise

Some favorites:

Cottage cheese and fresh or dried fruit
Smoothies (use frozen fruit) with a scoop of protein powder
Hardboiled eggs
light string cheese
Soup (I buy lower sodium butternut squash, black bean, roasted pepper and corn)
Peanut or almond butter and apples or celery
Lunch meat (turkey, ham or roast beed) rolled with pickles, tomato, cucumber and lettuce
yogurt and dried fruit
hummus and crackers or veggies.

On another note, i've found that when I eat a slightly more substantial breakfast and lunch I'm not as hungry later in the day. I try to add protein to breakfast to keep me going. Rather than eating a bowl of cereal and milk for breakfast I would eat the cereal, milk, a hardboiled egg and a piece of fruit or an egg white and veggie omelet with whole wheat toast and fruit. This keeps me from eating my arm off before 10 on heavy training days.

Good luck with the eating, now you know what it's like to have a teenager eat you out of house and home.

2011-01-31 11:17 PM
in reply to: #3332283

Veteran
Sydney
Wow thanks all for some great suggestions! ... I'll be trying probably all of them over the next few days

ood luck with the eating, now you know what it's like to have a teenager eat you out of house and home.

LOL, I have a 5 year old who literally already eats more than me, thankfully all the good stuff (not that he has a choice). Can't imagine what he will be like as a teenager! 
2011-01-31 11:33 PM
in reply to: #3332307

Veteran
Nassau, Bahamas
good ideas on snacking, and funnily enough i just bought a bunch of that stuff!

along those lines, in order to lose those few pesky pounds of fat, is it required to keep calories in less than calories out?  How do you do it, count all the calories, or just try to limit yourself to two snacks and three small meals or something like that?  I try to heat healthy and I am seeing slow changes, but would I need to step up to counting calories to get further along?  how does limiting your caloric intake effect muscle building and recovery?

2011-02-01 4:18 AM
in reply to: #3332318

Veteran
Sydney
How do you do it, count all the calories, or just try to limit yourself to two snacks and three small meals or something like that?  I try to heat healthy and I am seeing slow changes, but would I need to step up to counting calories to get further along?  how does limiting your caloric intake effect muscle building and recovery?

I can only speak from the weight loss side of things, but I know the nutritionist's theory is to consume less calories than you burn in a day. Also, if you want to lose 1kg a week, you need to consume around 1000kcal less than you burn a day. I have been logging my data in my BT blog each day for the last week or so, and it is surprising what things contain rediculous amounts of calories that seemed to be kind of healthy.  

There are a couple of calculators out there to help, one is:

http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-burned.php

... and a more detailed explanation is here:

http://www.weightlossforall.com/calculate%20cals.htm

I'm sure there is much more to it than that, but the basic theory worked for me back in '04, and is working again it seems.

Edited by Akuma 2011-02-01 4:19 AM
2011-02-01 10:08 AM

Veteran
Fresno, CA
Reading an interesting book right now..."Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It."  The basic thesis of the book is that the calories in/calories out equation doesn't work in the long term because the science supports another approach.  We overeat or under exercise because we're fat, and we're fat because two critical hormones (cortisol and insulin) have gone all wonky in our systems because of the kind of foods we eat--namely carbohydrates. 

The author is a science writer--not a doc or trainer, so the book is laden with references to studies to support the thesis.  I haven't finished it yet, but I have to say, the arguments as laid out--especially because they are all backed up with multiple cites--are compelling.  What really made it hit home with me was the explanation of why the female body changes as women approach menopause.   Even if you maintain or reduce calorie intake and even if you are physically active, the reduced estrogen levels in the body (a hormone), triggers your fat cells to store more fat.  It's an uphill battle from there.  Now I realize that half this group is male, and not every one of the women is approaching that particular milestone, but for those of us who are closer to it than we might like, I'm sure you can relate.

Anyway, check it out if you're interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-Borzoi/dp/0307272702/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296575699&sr=8-1
2011-02-01 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3325947

The only thing worse than dodging obnoxious kids in the pool is having to dodge the "water aerobics" class that starts towards the end of my swim time.  At least with kids you can blame it on their being... kids, but adults should know how to get the heck out of my way!
2011-02-01 1:08 PM

2011-02-01 2:46 PM

Veteran
Nassau, Bahamas
OK so after I joined this group I noticed there were "inspires" popping up next to my training and I assumed you just clicked it and it was similar to a "like" on facebook.  Just found out there are comments!  Thanks for the inspiration guys!

One of the comments was on P90X.  I have done mostly cardio, plyo, stretch, and abs on it.  I am not religious on doing it, but I can tell you they do target those sections they say they do.  The abs are great, 16 mins long.  I really should do them after runs and such but am usually too lazy or moving onto something else in life.  Core is a great workout that I can really feel and I think has helped my swimming a lot especially.   The stretching is a great program too, if you ever need to stretch for an hour!  I did the stretch program 3-4 times in the week leading up to the half and I think it helped me stay loose and focused while not running as much.   The yoga is 1.5 hours long, I did it once and it was great but kinda boring and I think a s/b/r and stretch would be more beneficial.  Did work some good balance muscles and those small muscles that don't get used much from our fast and forward routine.  

Any questions I'll try to answer, like I said I'm not an expert nor following any of the nutrition or exercise plans, I just like to throw them in there to mix it up a bit.  I have just started some of the strength training ones and the bands I have aren't great for it, I will end up getting some free weights soon.

2011-02-01 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3333756

2011-02-01 3:26 PM

Veteran
Nassau, Bahamas
one of the big thing that helped my swimming that I sort of self learned after many many hours in the pool and ocean last year, is that the core is big in swimming and saves your arms.  Use your core to rotate your body and stretch those arms out as far you can while keeping your head straight and looking down and forward a bit.  And don't lose control of your legs while doing the above either! they should kick and hips rotate slightly side to side but you don't want to be side kicking, i find small faster kicks are more efficient.  From the photos I've seen of me swimming the open water swims, whenever I was passing people (it was a loop course, and relays etc were involved) you can see lots of splashing coming from them and not much from me, minimizing the effort it takes to get through the water maximizes your efficiency.  

abaco 5k swim 2010

There's my swim lesson for the day Money mouth  This works for me, may not work great for someone else!

2011-02-01 4:04 PM
in reply to: #3333013

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Joel.Antes - 2011-02-01 10:17 AM The only thing worse than dodging obnoxious kids in the pool is having to dodge the "water aerobics" class that starts towards the end of my swim time.  At least with kids you can blame it on their being... kids, but adults should know how to get the heck out of my way!

See my blog, I swam late one day last week and had kids to dodge the entire swim.....water walkers are challenging as well!
2011-02-01 4:12 PM
in reply to: #3333489

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
robcolling - 2011-02-01 1:08 PM
I've been glancing through a couple of the other mentor groups' threads and I've seen some posts which might be appropriate to incorporate here. 

Queen and Dex,

1.) Any thoughts about adding a "Question of the Day" post? Other mentor groups use it as a way to easily share information, ideas, techniques, etc., with the group. For example, "What is your preferred swim drill and why?" (Of course this may not apply to you, Queen, as you are not fond of swimming at the moment Cool 

2.) Perhaps a reminder on Friday's (or any day, really) for each member to post their training plans for the weekend?  It could help members solidify, or at least vocalize, future training. 

Just tossing out ideas. If none of them are appealing, no harm, no foul.

--Rob 

An excellent suggestion, Rob!

No, I ma not overly fond of swimming.....like most women I want what is just out of my reach.  I want to run pain free.  Then ride my bike without worrying about the hills and how they may affect my leg(s).....it seems my right leg is trying to play the same game my left leg just got cleared from PT.  SOOOOOO, I have an appointment with my PT again this week to have them check it over and Dud has benched my azz until they do so.

I suggest we set some individual goals. 

For some of us it may be training consistently, or a nutrition thing.....for others it may be a specific goal related to your training.  Identify what  you want to accomplish in the next month then look at what you need to do to accomplish it.

My goal (aside from the whole pain free running and bike ride thing) is to MAINTAIN POSSESSION of the TIARA cause so far I am beating Dud, Mikle and Ken in the weight loss war.....and these guys are able to train more than me cfor the most part!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QueenZipp & Dexter's good cop/ bad cop - FULL Rss Feed  

of 23