BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-05-22 11:36 PM
in reply to: #3436046

User image

Veteran
www.multisportbargains.com
Subject: RE: Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? FULL!
Awesome insight. What has everyone else been up to?

2011-05-23 8:30 AM
in reply to: #3513018

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
My weekend was interesting.  Thursday, I finally got around to re-staining the shutters and front door on my house.  With no trees for shade and a house that faces due east, they get hammered by the sun.  The heat and humidity around here don't exactly help things.  Well, they were so old and weathered they turned out looking worse.  So, what started as a simple re-stain turned into building new shutters.  Sanding, staining, sealing, and rehanging those.  Then, the door came off the hinges, it also got sanded, stained, and sealed.  At least that's over with, unfortunately I noticed I really need to repaint my house.  Gah..

As for training, not much.  I did finally stretch out some plantar faciitis that has been giving me fits.  I have it, not much I can do, but as long as I stick to stretching it out morning and night, it's controllable.  Well, per some of the recommendations here and and elsewhere, I've tried changing my stride up.  Running with a more linear spine, slight tilt forward, feet landing more underneath, rolling off the toes, landing not on a straight leg with a slight knee bend and more on the middle of my foot.   Really focusing on having the length of my stride come behind me, instead of sticking the leg out and landing on the heel (which apparently is called hitting the brakes, which I could visualize to something swimming related so that helped). 

Wow.  Now grated, it's only been two short 1.5 mile runs to work on it, but it's been great.  I actually have muscle soreness.  Usually when I'm done I have to stretch out my plantar fascia, my heel is throbbing, and my knees hurt.  After those two short runs, it was just my leg muscles.  Well, my low back muscles were a little sore, but I'm chalking that up to a change in body position as well.  Sort of like how slight changes I make swimming always cause new little core sorenesses.  It's not a lingering pain, and pain is really a bad word for it.  It just feels like they are getting work they haven't ever had while running.  Anyway, I'm back to square one on running and I couldn't be happier. 
2011-05-23 8:32 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
To drive the point of how happy I am with those two short little runs.  I'm sitting here and work and finally noticed I wasn't trying to find creative ways to stretch out my calf, achilles, and foot.  NO PAIN!
2011-05-23 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3513329

User image

Champion
sesh - 2011-05-23 7:32 AM

To drive the point of how happy I am with those two short little runs. I'm sitting here and work and finally noticed I wasn't trying to find creative ways to stretch out my calf, achilles, and foot. NO PAIN!

That's awesome! It's great when things finally start feeling good and normal to train!

It's been an insane two weeks for me, and training took a big hit.

My kids had their 2nd race to qualify for nationals this past weekend, and i got another set of boats in.
We have two national championship races coming up, scholastic nationals (for single school teams), and youth nationals (for all high school aged/club teams).

I managed to get two boats into one, and three into another! For a team with only 7 boats total this was a huge year for us and i'm excited for the next few weeks.

On my front, i'm building back up the bike mileage right now and just trying to lay a good foundation for later in the year.
2011-05-23 5:19 PM
in reply to: #3510290

New user

Thanks for the great link, that really helps me understand better! 

2011-05-24 6:00 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Newbz, or anyone else. Can you school me on "salt caps"? It seems like a lot of people are using these in long distance races. I have always just used sports drink, water and gels with good success but I want to make sure I am not missing out on something important.

I am getting ready to go longer than ever before and want to fuel the engine appropriately. A very basic education on this supplement would be appreciated. A PhD level education on it would be welcome as well but is probably not required.

Thanks.

Jason

2011-05-25 11:02 PM
in reply to: #3516833

User image

Champion
I've tried them a few times, but never really had a need/saw anything that made them worthwhile outside of a few cases where the food/drink you are taking in has none. And i've really never seen them used outside of triathlon, ie if you look at cycling, running, etc, its really not something that comes up.

You do need to keep an electrolyte balance in your system or things can go haywire (in very simple terms it's not pretty), and it helps with water absorption, but most sports drinks/gels are enough for this. If you look around you *may* be able to find a case for them if you are a really heavy sweater.

2011-05-26 7:35 PM

User image

Regular
Knoxville, TN
today I had a bike ride on the schedule but it rained and hailed (golfballs) and thunder'd and lightening'd ALL afternoon long...so I decided that since I have my swim stuff in my bag  i would head to the pool (indoor at my fitness center) and thought of swaping my workout days....can you believe that they closed the pool and kicked me out of the water after only 500m due to the lightening...I guess I wasn't thinking it was dangerous since it's indoors but I'm ok with not frying....but...today was the best time I've had in the pool so far since I've been back swimming...i'm bummed that it got cut short...i was freestyle all the way....oh well....back to the pool tomorrow...happy training all !!!
2011-05-27 3:00 PM

Ontario, Canada

The weather here has been terrible so I've hardly been able to get outdoors for any training.  I've been stuck on the treadmill for the most part, but I have been making the best of it.  In the past week I skated once, swam once but I did run 4 times.  So I suppose that's not too bad.  Thankfully I'm not racing any tri's but just getting my feet wet, so to speak, in all the sports.

I've got my first inline race coming up on June 4th and I know it's gonna be pretty brutal.  I've probably got only about 150 kms under my belt so far this year and that is really bad.  Normally at this time of the season I've skated almost 600 kms.   I know I can finish the distance (42 kms) but it's gonna be slow.  I guess it is what it is.

I'm planning on skating and cycling tomorrow because we're supposed to have a little bit of decent weather. Sunday is another issue.  Possible rain, again.  But, at least I've been able to arrange client appointments around the times I can swim, so I should be able to get in two swims next week. 

Have a good weekend everyone!

2011-05-28 12:41 PM
in reply to: #3522299

User image

Regular
Knoxville, TN
good luck on your inline race...and have fun!!
2011-05-31 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3522985

User image

Champion
best of luck on the race!

How is everyone doing?

2011-05-31 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3525554

User image

Gaithersburg
Sorry I've been out of the loop.  Hope everyone is doing well!  I've been sick for almost two weeks.  A nasty cold that makes it hard for me to walk up the stairs in my house without gasping for breath.  I went to the doctor's today because quite frankly I'm sick of being sick and I'm getting really worried about training!  My triathlon is only two months away and I can't afford to miss anymore valuable training time.  I'm worried this will be a huge set back and I really don't want to look a complete fool when I do race.  I'm on antibiotics and a nasal spray now, so hopefully I'll start feeling better quickly.  I'm thinking about easing back into training this week... short walk with periods of running (tonight), biking on the stationary bike at the gym (tomorrow) and swimming with fins (Thursday).  Hopefully by Friday I'll be feeling close to normal.
2011-06-01 7:14 PM

Ontario, Canada

Thanks guys!!

It's gonna be tough ... I don't know if I mentioned it but I've been having knee pain issues and the other day I got a diagnosis of patellar tendonitis.  I've been told to rest, rest, rest and rest, but since I've already signed up for the event and booked the hotel, etc I'm gonna skate it.  Notice I mentioned skate it, not race it.  Sooooooo, I'm just gonna complete it and try to have fun.  I'll let you know how I do.

But, this new problem means that my training will more than likely come to a halt for a bit ...

2011-06-03 10:54 AM

User image

Regular
Knoxville, TN
Hey everybody…..I’m a recovering couch potato lazaholic and I’m going thru the arduous task of earning my body and fitness back. I once loved to run and compete in triathlons so why not become a multi-sport athlete again? In Sept 2009 (on a whim) I did a sprint tri (300m/7mi/3mi) in the blazing time of 1:27:15, I wasn’t last but very VERY close to last and it hurt my feelings…So, the spring of 2010 I bought a bike and started riding and quite frankly, I was awful at it, I couldn’t ride flat, I couldn’t climb hills, and the beginner group that I had joined quickly sped off and left me. I was completely discouraged! This spring, still with my “new” bike (I rode less than 500 miles last year), I got a new cycle buddy and made a plan…. I typically am the type of person who jumps in with both feet when I decide to do something. And this plan consists of riding a century in October and completing a HIM in September. So here we go….I’m riding and making improvements but still struggling with swimming and running but making improvements and just doing my thing….so I do a sprint tri on Memorial Day to test the water and see how I do….well it was horrible….I came in 226/248 overall/ 9/14 age group/ 2/5 Athena. It was 350m/10mi/4k course and it took me 1:37:42…and I walked most of the run and by most I mean all but the last half-mile or so and that was only because of vanity!!! This “older” lady came running past me saying “come on honey, I’m older than you are, don’t let me beat you…”. So my question is…..What’s my problem? I don’t know if its the 90+ degree heat, or the fact that I had just ridden a 28-mile ride on Sat, and I slaved in the yard/garden on Sunday, or just didn’t push hard enuf during the race. I felt like I was giving it my all. The swim was okay even though my alternate stroke emerged early, the bike was hilly (but it’s hilly here), and on the run, I felt like I weighed 600 lbs…couldn’t pick my feet up. But the worst part was that I pretty much drove myself home, took a shower and collapsed for 2 days. I’m still fighting some bug that I caught: lungs on fire, sore throat, and headache. Am I that weak? Really? I mean really? I know it’s early, but I’m having serious doubts of being able to stick with my plan of the HIM….if I cant RUN 4k after a measly 10 mile ride, how the heck am I going to be able to pull off a HIM???? Seriously???? I’ve lost almost 20 lbs but I still have a good 50 lbs to lose to get back to my fighting weight. In the mean time…. Should I keep following the HIM training plan or do I need to switch it to a base building plan??? I can ride 2 hrs on my bike like the plan says but I can’t ride 56 miles in two hours, and I can run/walk one hour but that’s not going to be 8 miles…. I’m wondering if I need a distance based plan or just stick with it ??? And I’m not feeling well…how much rest does a body need? I’m thinking keep pushing thru…I’ve not worked out since my event on Monday but I have a ride scheduled for later today. I apologize if this comes across as whiney, I don’t mean it that way...I’ve been training hard and seeing gains in my endurance but then in on event day…it all falls apart and I’m wondering what the crap just happened to my plan. The relay for life “ride for life” is tomorrow and I’m signed up for the 52-mile option but I depending on how I feel I may cut it to the 25 mile short course. Comments, critiques, insight and advice welcomed.
2011-06-03 5:05 PM

User image

Champion
Will be back to answer questions later this evening but just found this from this past weekend's nationals championship(my guys are CHA/chestnut hill)

http://chestnuthilllocal.com/blog/2011/06/01/chass-rowers-medal-at-...
2011-06-04 11:42 PM
in reply to: #3530929

User image

Veteran
www.multisportbargains.com

If you can tolerate the plan, stick with it just don't over do it or you may become injury prone. Have you ever tried a brick workout? The may help with your legs feeling like 600lbs after the bike. 

How did you do on your 52 mile ride?

2011-06-05 10:48 AM

Ontario, Canada

Hey Robin ... bear in mind that I am not a coach nor am I a triathelete but I can tell you about my inline speedskating training experience.  As I mentioned I am an average speedskater and I'm okay with that so far, but I once was the person that came in last ALL THE TIME.   But, I stuck with it and built up my fitness level and my endurance, then I began speedwork ... intervals and that is what helped me go from last place to mid level.  I just kept at it and kept positive.

So, based on my experience, I would tell anyone to stick with their plan, building their fitness level and endurance.   Then start interval training. 

I hope that someone else with tri experience chimes in here and gives their advice!!

Christine

2011-06-05 8:02 PM

User image

Regular
Knoxville, TN

Thanks Jaclynembry and Jewel 22….I appreciate your
encouraging words…I think I had just started my race already exhausted from the
other things that I did in the long weekend… I was sick and I was tired before I
even started.  I haven’t done any brick
workouts yet… my ride was good, I didn’t ride as fast as I wanted to ride but I
was able to finish and I’m happy. I ran this morning too and it was a good run.  I still don’t feel 100% from my “bug” but I’m
pushing thru and sticking to the plan….may try a b/r brick  next weekend…..

Thanks again for your encouragement.

2011-06-05 8:11 PM

Ontario, Canada

Robin I am more than happy to be of help .... glad to read that you had a good run.  Keep at it and the results you want will come!!!

2011-06-06 9:14 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Just back from a week at Disney World and Universal in Orlando.  Basically, the only thing I'm aware of that is going on in the world is the Casey Anthony trial.  The courtroom video was being shown on every single station down there.  Well, that and Disney advertisement channels.  I'm a bit disconnected.  I suppose I could have checked my phone or something, but I turn it totally off on vacation.

I did no training on vacation.  I considered walking around those parks to be enough, and actually came back having lost a few pounds.  I also came back to record high temps, which is saying something for June in Mississippi.  Lunch time runs are pretty much off the table until the heat breaks, and who knows if it ever will.  Looks like I'll be having to wake up a little earlier.
2011-06-06 11:20 AM
in reply to: #3530929

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
It sounds to me like you had a confluence of things all working against you; worked/exercised hard in the days leading up to your event, not feeling well, super hot temps....but......and don't take this the wrong way, I think what really was holding you back was fitness. This takes a lot of work and a considerable time to get to a good triathlon fitness level. If you are still truly 50 lbs from your ideal weight then you are probably also not quite where you want to be from a cardio-pulmonary fitness perspective as well. I have been doing tris for almost four years now and I am just getting to the point where I am starting to hit my goals.

BryanCD once posted something about triathlon; he essentially said that the people who do well at this are the people who CONSISTENTLY train for it. They work out every day whether they feel like it or not. They commit to a training goal. If you look at their logs, they are out of bed every morning hitting their prescribed workout. Anyone can do this (maybe not at the elite level, I know that I am never going to be vying for an overall win) but it requires a whole lot of effort. It sounds like you are on the right track, but just not as far along your fitness path as you would like to be. Keep at it and you will hit your goals. I think having a plan to follow helps tremendously.

As to whether or not you should reevaluate your goals, it is hard to say. I did not do a HIM until the end of my third full season of triathlon. There is no shame, and perhaps some wisdom, in working your way up to bigger distances.

Again, please don't be offended, I meant this only as constructive advice.

Jason

Ps, I can't ride 56 miles in 2 hours. That is a pretty elite number to be trying to hit

2011-06-06 2:07 PM
in reply to: #3534840

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
wannabefaster - 2011-06-06 11:20 AM It sounds to me like you had a confluence of things all working against you; worked/exercised hard in the days leading up to your event, not feeling well, super hot temps....but......and don't take this the wrong way, I think what really was holding you back was fitness. This takes a lot of work and a considerable time to get to a good triathlon fitness level. If you are still truly 50 lbs from your ideal weight then you are probably also not quite where you want to be from a cardio-pulmonary fitness perspective as well. I have been doing tris for almost four years now and I am just getting to the point where I am starting to hit my goals. BryanCD once posted something about triathlon; he essentially said that the people who do well at this are the people who CONSISTENTLY train for it. They work out every day whether they feel like it or not. They commit to a training goal. If you look at their logs, they are out of bed every morning hitting their prescribed workout. Anyone can do this (maybe not at the elite level, I know that I am never going to be vying for an overall win) but it requires a whole lot of effort. It sounds like you are on the right track, but just not as far along your fitness path as you would like to be. Keep at it and you will hit your goals. I think having a plan to follow helps tremendously. As to whether or not you should reevaluate your goals, it is hard to say. I did not do a HIM until the end of my third full season of triathlon. There is no shame, and perhaps some wisdom, in working your way up to bigger distances. Again, please don't be offended, I meant this only as constructive advice. Jason Ps, I can't ride 56 miles in 2 hours. That is a pretty elite number to be trying to hit

Agree with this. 

Also, does the plan not call for rides over two hours?  That's more along the lines of a first time Oly plan if so. 

Edited by sesh 2011-06-06 2:08 PM
2011-06-07 12:25 AM
in reply to: #3533828

User image

Champion
rrobinette - 2011-06-05 7:02 PM

Thanks Jaclynembry and Jewel 22….I appreciate your
encouraging words…I think I had just started my race already exhausted from the
other things that I did in the long weekend… I was sick and I was tired before I
even started. I haven’t done any brick
workouts yet… my ride was good, I didn’t ride as fast as I wanted to ride but I
was able to finish and I’m happy. I ran this morning too and it was a good run. I still don’t feel 100% from my “bug” but I’m
pushing thru and sticking to the plan….may try a b/r brick next weekend…..

Thanks again for your encouragement.

You'll get there.

We all have hurdles to get over, both in life and training. You can only do your best and work around them, it's what you do with those issue that decides where you'll end up.

2011-06-07 9:51 AM

User image

Regular
Knoxville, TN

Thank you all for your advise and insight....I appreciate honest assessment and I am in no way offended…. I agree with what you guys said, I have a long way to go still. My motivation is really high and I’ve been training hard, my fitness is slowly catching up. I am truly 50 lbs overweight still…I’m 5’10" and weighed 197 at last weight in. I’ve lost 20 lbs so far. The plan that I’m following is the beginner HIM on this site, I’m on week 16…the longest ride is 3 hrs (1 time), 2.5 hrs (2 times) and all the others are shorter 2 hr long rides….I was wondering if that’s enuf based on (my possibly flawed) view of training above the race mileage…I don’t think I can even do the 56 miles in 3hrs. I do bike intervals and I do hill work but I’m concerned that I should make sure I get the miles in regardless of the time…same goes for running…. this program is a time based program and I don’t want to under train…I'm just worried about that….but all is good and I’m feeling better and learned a good lesson….taper is necessary…you can’t race tired and get good results. I don’t think I understood before. My goal is to get across the finish line uninjured with a smile on my face.  Hopefully more MOP than BOP.Laughing

Again, thanks for your wise words my friends….

2011-06-07 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3536747

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
My HIM training was basically an Olympic Plan with extended weekends.  Longest bike was 95 miles, but that was by accident.  Yes, I accidentally rode 95 miles.  Wife LOVED that when I hadn't called to check in.  Planned longest was 75.  Planned longest run was 10.  I did all but three rides on my trainer, too.  I actually think that was very beneficial because it was constant work.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? FULL! Rss Feed  

of 14