BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kido's Summertime Shenanigan Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2011-07-10 4:04 PM
in reply to: #3440446

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
Subject: RE: Kido's Summertime Shenanigan Group - CLOSED

Finished the race today in 1:33 and change (official race result not yet posted). I would have been happy with anything under 1hr 40min, so needless to say I was THRILLED. That time earned me a bronze in my age group. Will post to my race log when official splits are available. 

And yeah, I'm hooked

2011-07-10 7:18 PM
in reply to: #3589255

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
arquillo - 2011-07-10 5:04 PM

Finished the race today in 1:33 and change (official race result not yet posted). I would have been happy with anything under 1hr 40min, so needless to say I was THRILLED. That time earned me a bronze in my age group. Will post to my race log when official splits are available. 

And yeah, I'm hooked

Great Job!!!  Congratulations.

2011-07-10 7:22 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay

Just wondering...  Are Triathlons more fun if you are in the middle of the waves so people are all around.  I have always been in the last wave, so I am finishing my bike, people are done, and when I finish the run, the people are not cheering like at a 5K, they are packing and leaving.

I just do not have the same great feeling others seem to get in finishing a tri, I still like the 5k with all the others around encouraging each other and cheering at the end.

2011-07-11 6:30 PM
in reply to: #3589465

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
otter_sh - 2011-07-10 8:22 PM

Just wondering...  Are Triathlons more fun if you are in the middle of the waves so people are all around.  I have always been in the last wave, so I am finishing my bike, people are done, and when I finish the run, the people are not cheering like at a 5K, they are packing and leaving.

I just do not have the same great feeling others seem to get in finishing a tri, I still like the 5k with all the others around encouraging each other and cheering at the end.

I only have the one race under my belt, but from that experience I would say yes. Everyone, (racers, bystanders, race volunteers, even the bystanders at the beach) was very supportive and it does help a bit with the motivation. 

I don't think, however, that it is on par with any of the 5K events I have done. There are so many more people at the charity walks/runs that I have done (5,000+ as opposed to 170) that inevitably the atmosphere is going to be different. The level of competition alone changes the atmosphere at the triathlons. There is just a greater percentage of true athletes at the tris, while the 5Ks tend to be more about camaraderie and the cause. 

I'm interested to hear everyone else's perspectives on this one. 

2011-07-11 6:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH

Splits from the race are as follows. T1 and T2 times are included in the bike segment - wish they would have listed them separately. 

Swim: 10:08.4
T1, Bike T2: 50:42.7
Run: 32:41.2

Had a tough time with the swim - cold water - first open swim - first time swimming in such close quarters - I breast stroked the whole way and was massively disappointed. 

Kicked butt on both transitions and the bike - couldn't be happier with that time for all three. 

The run was tough - struggling with plantar fasciitis limited my run training the past 6 weeks. That being said, I am fairly happy with that time too. 

BTW - Does anybody else end up being FAMISHED the entire day of and day after the race? I seriously can't even guess how many calories I have eaten in the past 30 hours. Hope this wears off soon. My next big goal is to lose 5 pounds before the next race (8/21) and finish under 1hr 30 min. 

2011-07-11 6:53 PM

User image

New user

Hey GREAT WORK on the race!! Fantastic time, and a medal! wow!!!!

Yes... I always feel absolutely famished after a race too. And I have to sleep straight after too! Literally can't keep my eyes open for more than an hour after! Always have struggled with energy after tough exercising, i seem not to be able to re-hydrate too well. I find eating lots of carbs and protein within about 15 mins of finishing helps, and lots of electrolytes. But hey, I really enjoy eating lots, so it's not such a bad thing really.. )

2011-07-11 8:35 PM

User image

San Jose

Hi all!

I've been AWOL due to business travel (include 4 days in Germany; I stayed on California time to prevent jetlag.)  Catching up on the board - y'all go, rockstars.  Kudos on the training and the triathlons.  Very impressed.

In general, I've kept up with the running and swimming.  Not much bike time in June but will up that this month as I have a 150mi (2 day) event in September.  My biggest change has been nutrition and it took about a week for my body to adjust to the new diet and I decided to fight off a cold with rest.

Question:  Does anyone do CrossFit?  I'm curious to try it after reading an article in one of the Triathlon magazines.  There is the long standing debate of high intensity interval training (HIIT) versus volume.  I personally think it's not an either/or but I'll have to prove that to myself empirically soon.

Again congrats to all! 

2011-07-12 9:52 AM

User image

Regular
Los Alamos

Great Job Arquillo!  I'm in a constant state of being famished.  Just the way I have set up my training, and I'm no expert, I rest (not train) 2 days before and after a race.  It seems to work for me.  During those 2 days I am still active (golf, walking, etc) and I let myself eat!

Kido, I'm sure you have tri-bike or TT bike, and everyone I've talked to says it makes a difference.  I can't afford or justify that kind of purchase, but was thinking about adding aerobars to my road bike.  Then I can get one of those aero drink bottle things, which is cool.  Do you have any recommendations?  I'm 6'2" and have about a 76-77" wingspan.  It seems like Profile Designs has the most options, and I was looking at the T1+.  After adding the aerobars will I need to have a new bike fit done, or should I even make any adjustments if it already seems to fit?

Thanks

2011-07-12 1:46 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
arquillo - 2011-07-10 2:04 PM

And yeah, I'm hooked

congrats!

I have always found the triathlon communtity to be very supportive and encouraging no matter where you are in the race!  I mean, I was volunteering IMAZ last year and after Chrissie Wellington broke the women's world record and won the race, she cleaned up, and came back and cheered on the late finishers for hours.  She was one of the last people to leave after the race was over and ALMOST couldn't get her bike out of the secure area!

2011-07-12 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3592504

User image

Sensei
Sin City
chsdaddy - 2011-07-12 7:52 AM

Great Job Arquillo!  I'm in a constant state of being famished.  Just the way I have set up my training, and I'm no expert, I rest (not train) 2 days before and after a race.  It seems to work for me.  During those 2 days I am still active (golf, walking, etc) and I let myself eat!

Kido, I'm sure you have tri-bike or TT bike, and everyone I've talked to says it makes a difference.  I can't afford or justify that kind of purchase, but was thinking about adding aerobars to my road bike.  Then I can get one of those aero drink bottle things, which is cool.  Do you have any recommendations?  I'm 6'2" and have about a 76-77" wingspan.  It seems like Profile Designs has the most options, and I was looking at the T1+.  After adding the aerobars will I need to have a new bike fit done, or should I even make any adjustments if it already seems to fit?

Thanks

Profile design make a lot of good options.  Can't go wrong with them in most cases.

Many people have "converted" their road bike to a tri bike with earo bars and a forward seatpost (to move the saddle a bit further forward).  It can be done quite effectively.

I would probably suggest the earo bars with bend in them.  Not the straight or "s" curve bars.  The former tend to be more comfortable, but the latter may be a bit faster and provide more leverage, but the angle it puts your wrists can get a bit uncomfortable on long rides.

I have used something like this and it's pretty nice.  My current setup is very similar  http://www.profile-design.com/profile-design/products/aerobars/aluminum-aerobars/t1-plus.html

I may switch to the "s" bend.  I think I can handle them, but probably will never go to the straight bars.

2011-07-12 4:39 PM

User image

Regular
Los Alamos

Sweet, great minds think alike. 

That was the set I had been looking at getting.  So do you think I should get professionally re-fit or just go with what feels comfortable?  When I had my bike fit the person doing it said it was pretty aggressive, whatever that means.  It feels comfortable as is.

2011-07-12 8:54 PM

arquillo - 2011-07-10 2:04 PM

And yeah, I'm hooked

WOOOT!  Congratulations Michelle!!! SmileWinkSmile

2011-07-13 9:31 AM

User image

Regular
Los Alamos

Don't mean to be a downer, but here is a before and after picture from the fire.  Still not out, smoke was really bad yesterday and the pool was still smokey for my swim this morning, and that's what I'm blaming my crappy performance on!  Over 150,000 acres have burned.  This shot is from some neighbors of ours in the mountains.  We didn't have any structures on our land but we were in the process of clearing it and built about 1 mile of road on it for future improvement, and now it looks like the moon. I drove through some of the burn yesterday and only 1 month ago the Tour de Los Alamos followed the same route, it's where I have been training and riding and it's all gone.  I'm a pretty solid dude and this sucks.

On another note, race prediction for Saturday's Santa Fe Sprint Triathlon, 5k Run, 20k Bike, 400m Pool Swim.  Run 28 min, Bike 40 min, Swim 11:30 plus transitions for a 1:24:00.  If I break 1:30 I'll be happy.

Before:

Photobucket

After:

Photobucket
2011-07-13 9:36 AM

So, it turns out the race I have been training for, a sprint tri in a town just 30 miles from home, is not happening this year. FrownRe-figuring:  two sprint possibilities for Aug 6--one in the town where our middle son lives(4 hr drive)Undecided, one in a resort town about 2 1/2 hours away--this one would be outdoor swim in a lake--eekEmbarassed!  Leaning toward race/visit to son/eating all of his food-lol-- all in one weekend.  Also, planning for Sept. 10 sprint a little closer to home--about a 1 hr. drive. 

You that have finished with such amazing times--good job!  My goal IS to finish--having never  done anything like this before! I'm  thinking anything under 2 hrs!  

2011-07-13 9:45 AM
in reply to: #3594311

Wow, Karl, what devastation!   You and your community have definitely suffered an indescribable loss. 

Best to you for this Saturday's race!

2011-07-13 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3594338

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I noticed a brush fire in our mtns the other day.  Almost called it in, but figured they probably new about it.  They are still fighting it and it's been several days.  Fortunatelly, there is little chance for anything to get lost except the brush and vegitation.  I would say it's been a hot and dry summer, but it's ALWAYS hot and dry...  It's only a matter of time before it burns.

2011-07-13 6:47 PM
in reply to: #3594311

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
chsdaddy - 2011-07-13 10:31 AM

Don't mean to be a downer, but here is a before and after picture from the fire.  Still not out, smoke was really bad yesterday and the pool was still smokey for my swim this morning, and that's what I'm blaming my crappy performance on!  Over 150,000 acres have burned.  This shot is from some neighbors of ours in the mountains.  We didn't have any structures on our land but we were in the process of clearing it and built about 1 mile of road on it for future improvement, and now it looks like the moon. I drove through some of the burn yesterday and only 1 month ago the Tour de Los Alamos followed the same route, it's where I have been training and riding and it's all gone.  I'm a pretty solid dude and this sucks.

On another note, race prediction for Saturday's Santa Fe Sprint Triathlon, 5k Run, 20k Bike, 400m Pool Swim.  Run 28 min, Bike 40 min, Swim 11:30 plus transitions for a 1:24:00.  If I break 1:30 I'll be happy.

Those photos are heartbreaking! I can't even imagine what that must be like in person. My heart goes out to all those who lost their homes. 

And on a happier note - best of luck on Saturday! 

2011-07-14 12:44 PM

User image

New user

Devastating photos. But give it time and it will be green again, nature has an excellent way of fighting back after things like this! There will be new shoots in no time at all.

GOOD LUCK for Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2011-07-14 12:46 PM

User image

New user
On a different note... I went to the gym yesterday for a run as it was a little wet out. So I used the scales there to weigh myself for the first time since all the training and had actually PUT ON 3 kilos!!!!!!!????!!!! But i'm feeling great and don't look at all overweight?! This must be muscle, right?????? ;-)
2011-07-15 8:25 PM
in reply to: #3596580

gokat - 2011-07-14 10:46 AM On a different note... I went to the gym yesterday for a run as it was a little wet out. So I used the scales there to weigh myself for the first time since all the training and had actually PUT ON 3 kilos!!!!!!!????!!!! But i'm feeling great and don't look at all overweight?! This must be muscle, right?????? ;-)

Definitely!  I have lost only 5 pounds since March,  and a pants size, even though I expected I might have lost more with this workout schedule!

2011-07-16 2:13 PM
in reply to: #3599086

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Saturday!  I hope everyone is going out there and "moving".  Get some training in!  Even if you don'w want to call it training...

I was being a techno nerd yester...  Reformatting an old computer (that was basically a paperweight) and installed a new OS on it just to play around.  Still might be a paperweight after the fresh install of Windows XP and Ubuntu since I have several other computers running win 7...  BUT, it was a fun (if not a bit frustrating and tedious) experiment.

I need to make up for a short ride today (since TODAY is my day off) and then my regular group ride tomorrow (if you call 1 or 2 other people a "group"!)

Have a good weekend.

Edited by Kido 2011-07-16 2:14 PM

2011-07-16 7:50 PM
in reply to: #3599584

Do any of you wear your HR monitor to race?  I like using it for training--not sure if I want to take time to put in on in the first transition. Used it for a 5K earlier this summer to help push myself and not let HR get too high.  Before passing out, I think I would see spots or feel like my head was getting poked--or do I need the monitor to tell me I am approaching 200 bpm--slow down?!

Stephanie, re interval training:  I  am not an expert by any means, but I do think one's level of fitness needs to be a consideration when considering CrossFit or any other hi-intensity interval training.  I was doing interval training alternating with strength training before I started this (I am going to try a tri) journey.  Even with that training background, I have found that for me, this year I needed to focus on "building base" before incorporating hi-intensity interval workouts. I found that I needed to build stamina and endurance more than I needed to "push" myself to burn more calories, get a more effective workout or build technique--yet. 

Kido?

2011-07-16 9:30 PM

User image

Regular
Los Alamos

Today was my 3rd tri of the year, and 2nd of 5 needed to qualify in the Southwest Tri series I am trying do as my main goal in making a lifestyle change, it was also a day of firsts:

1. Had a PB 5k run of 28:08 (reverse tri, Run Bike Swim).
  2. First flat tire of the year.
  3. First wreck on my road bike.
  4. First DNF

We got to the race this morning at 5am for a 6:30 start.  Plenty of time.  In the dark we pumped up our tires at the truck and walked to the transition.  I noticed others carrying their bikes through a gravel lot we had to cross and thought, hmm I wonder if they know something I don't. 

Get everything set up and jog for 10-15 minutes with my wife for warm up.  Take off on the run and I'm feeling great.  I decided I was going to race hard and push myself.  I was 7 out of 11 clydes coming in from the run, but I could see 3-4 big guys and new I could catch them on the bike.  I got through T1 and come to a hard left downhill, I took it at what I thought was a safe speed and felt the front speed wobble, I tapped the rear brake and straightened it out and put the hammer down. In the first mile I passed 4 clydes and was carrying 15-17mph at the top of a hill when I looked down and noticed my front tire was flat.  I don't know what happened after that other than I went flying.  I landed on my left hand and forearm first, then head in a whiplash motion, knee and hip, straight into a roll.  All the daredevil training as a child came back in microseconds.  How I got unclipped and away from the bike I don't know.  Helmet was cracked, handle bars tweaked, chain came off somehow, but the rims and frame seem okay.  The rear tire also blew or was going flat too.  I didn't have a spare tube, I don't know if I would have fixed it anyway.  I walked back to transition feeling okay but I am sore as hell now.  Minor road rash, and bruising, all in all it could have been much worse.

Walking back I found a goat-head in the sidewall of the front and I think I got it in the gravel lot.  I think there were 5-6 other DNF's on the bike.  It happens.  I guess the lesson is check the bike after it's racked.  I went to REI and got the CO2 system and spare tubes.

Since I DNF I am going to add another race to complete the series so I'll just have a longer season!  Be careful everyone, I know I got lucky, it could have been a lot worse.

When I wrecked I was in 3rd with a good shot and holding it based on the finish times.  I couldn't have caught 1st or 2nd, so I'll focus on the good, learn from the wreck and work hard for the rest of the season. Still have a ways to go.

2011-07-17 6:57 AM
in reply to: #3599827

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
colossians_33 - 2011-07-16 8:50 PM

Do any of you wear your HR monitor to race?  I like using it for training--not sure if I want to take time to put in on in the first transition. Used it for a 5K earlier this summer to help push myself and not let HR get too high.  Before passing out, I think I would see spots or feel like my head was getting poked--or do I need the monitor to tell me I am approaching 200 bpm--slow down?!

Stephanie, re interval training:  I  am not an expert by any means, but I do think one's level of fitness needs to be a consideration when considering CrossFit or any other hi-intensity interval training.  I was doing interval training alternating with strength training before I started this (I am going to try a tri) journey.  Even with that training background, I have found that for me, this year I needed to focus on "building base" before incorporating hi-intensity interval workouts. I found that I needed to build stamina and endurance more than I needed to "push" myself to burn more calories, get a more effective workout or build technique--yet. 

Kido?

Nearly all HR monitors are water-proof. I put mine on before the swim and wore it the whole race. I intend to do it again for my next race - I like having the quantifiable data. Perceived rate of exertion does not work well for me.

Ditto on the interval training for me. I spent nearly my entire training plan this year base building. I will be incorporating intervals in my training next year. I do think Crossfit would be a great way to shock your body with something different but would definitely keep that to the off-season (in my very amateur opinion). 

2011-07-17 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3600063

arquillo - 2011-07-17 4:57 AM
colossians_33 - 2011-07-16 8:50 PM

Kido?

Nearly all HR monitors are water-proof. I put mine on before the swim and wore it the whole race. I intend to do it again for my next race - I like having the quantifiable data. Perceived rate of exertion does not work well for me.

Ditto on the interval training for me. I spent nearly my entire training plan this year base building. I will be incorporating intervals in my training next year. I do think Crossfit would be a great way to shock your body with something different but would definitely keep that to the off-season (in my very amateur opinion). 

I had not thought about the monitor being water-proof.  Wonder if I can find out about that before going to the pool tomorrow.  Thanks!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kido's Summertime Shenanigan Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12