General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman U.S. Championship : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2012-01-20 11:43 AM
in reply to: #3550668

User image

Master
New Jersey
Subject: RE: Ironman U.S. Championship : Official Thread
Don't forget that the Palisades Half is 6.55 miles out, then back. The IM course is only 3.5 miles out, then back, then repeat. Then head over the GWB.

(And thanks for your answers to my previous questions.)

Edited by runnerx 2012-01-20 11:44 AM

2012-01-21 3:09 PM

User image

I stopped by a few days ago to check out some of the run course.  I only needed to do 4 miles for my training program so I just ran 2 out and then back and I must say you NEED to get some steep hill training into your programs as this run is going to be a b*tch.  When I signed up for this race I expected it to be somewhat flat but in the 2 loops we will be doing inside the park there is nothing flat about it.  You are either climbing or descending and they are pretty steep so they are not easy climbs.  The run is on the blacktop the cars drive on in the park and not out on the streets.  It is all inside a park of sorts which will be totally closed to traffic, aside from emergency vehicles.

I think the elevation charts they posted for the bike may be a little lighter on the elevation gain than in real life.  IMNY is saying the elevation gain on the bike is 3898ft but I think it is actually over 5000ft.  I drove one loop of the bike course with my Garmin Edge in the car which has an altimeter in it so the elevation should be more accurate than a standard GPS and came up with 2998ft of elevation gain in the one loop plus the distance to and from the transition area which has some climbing as well.  The total I drove was 59.94 miles and the elevation was 2998ft and it was all along the course we will be riding.  Even if you drop a few hundred feet off as a margin of error and to drop the extra distance when doubling the mileage I drove we are looking at around 5500 - 6000ft of elevation gain on the bike vs. the 3998 they published.  Not sure where they got their numbers from but I hope they are correct and not my Garmin Edge     I have a feeling mine is closer to the truth.

This will definitely be a sufferfest and with the august heat and humidity I am sure the percentage of DNF's will be high for this one. 

Anyone planning on doing most of their training in flat areas had better find some hills to work on.  I feel bad for people traveling from the flatter regions who don't have the option to train on hills as this will be a major shock to the system.

2012-01-21 3:11 PM

User image

@runnerx, I haven't totally decided how I will modify the BeIronFit program yet.  I figure I still have a few months to get it worked out but I will let you know once I do.
2012-01-23 5:31 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Thanks for the info Mark.  Can't say I'm happy to hear it, but much appreciated.
2012-01-28 8:59 PM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Ran the Palisades Park part of the run course today. 3.5 out, 3.5 back. Have to agree with what's been said...These are some serious hills! One in particular just seems endless. Up on the way out, down on the way back. The downhill felt good, but I imagine after 112 miles of cycling, and about 13 miles of running, might not feel as good. On the bright side, there'll be plenty of shade on this part of the course.
2012-01-28 9:14 PM
in reply to: #4003424

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
TheNoid - 2012-01-21 4:09 PM

>

I feel bad for people traveling from the flatter regions who don't have the option to train on hills as this will be a major shock to the system.

This is me, pancake flat . Gonna have to find some bridges or something.

2012-01-30 7:58 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Ok, gonna have to re-post my question from earlier. Why is this thread so much lighter than the Lake Placid thread? 11 pages vs. 36.

All i can think of is that it's more "experienced" triathletes doing Placid, and thus are on sites like this looking for more info, training tips, support, etc. I still fear that IMNYC is a bunch of "I work on Wall Street...I've never done a triathlon in my life and have no idea what I'm getting into, but having a photo of me finishing an Ironman would look cool on my desk." And those type of people make it dangerous for others, especially on the bike.
2012-01-30 11:12 AM
in reply to: #4018158

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
runnerx - 2012-01-30 8:58 AM

Ok, gonna have to re-post my question from earlier. Why is this thread so much lighter than the Lake Placid thread? 11 pages vs. 36.

All i can think of is that it's more "experienced" triathletes doing Placid, and thus are on sites like this looking for more info, training tips, support, etc. I still fear that IMNYC is a bunch of "I work on Wall Street...I've never done a triathlon in my life and have no idea what I'm getting into, but having a photo of me finishing an Ironman would look cool on my desk." And those type of people make it dangerous for others, especially on the bike.

Meh - who knows.... It could be that because LP has been around for a long time, there are more BTers racing there, it could be that they're just a chattier group - who knows. I don't think I would read anything into it at all... Mont Tremblant, another first year race, is only up to 9 pages, and I doubt it's because it's only "bucket listers" racing... Will there be people like that participating? You bet. But I bet you could say that about pretty much any IM event. With the extra Kona slots at NY, you can bet there were will be plenty of serious athletes out there too....
2012-01-30 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4018585

User image

Master
New Jersey
Good points, Jenny. Especially about Tremblant. Just seems odd to me...same number of participants, you would think similar buzz about it.
2012-01-30 11:44 PM
in reply to: #4018158

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland

runnerx - 2012-01-29 2:58 PM Ok, gonna have to re-post my question from earlier. Why is this thread so much lighter than the Lake Placid thread? 11 pages vs. 36. All i can think of is that it's more "experienced" triathletes doing Placid, and thus are on sites like this looking for more info, training tips, support, etc. I still fear that IMNYC is a bunch of "I work on Wall Street...I've never done a triathlon in my life and have no idea what I'm getting into, but having a photo of me finishing an Ironman would look cool on my desk." And those type of people make it dangerous for others, especially on the bike.

I think it is because nobody knows the course and nobody can give experienced tips to first-timers. that's why Tremblant is short too.

and, if it is because, as you said, it is full of beginners and people who never did triathlon, well...that's good for us: we will go there and catch the Kona slot Smile

2012-02-04 5:24 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hello Team Ironman U.S. Championship - just catching up after being away from this thread for a while. Thanks to everyone for posting the elevation information. I live in South-western Ontario Canada and it is as flat as it gets where I live and it has me a bit concerned since this will be my first IM. Oh well, will have to do some traveling in the spring to get some good hill work in I guess.

KC

2012-02-11 2:42 PM

User image

Veteran

looking forward to this race. i have hotel booked in NJ.  first IM for me.

will be doing the NYCTri a in July as a tune-up.

for those of you who want some hills - consider Rev3 Quassy HIM (June I think).   That is one brutal bike (and run) course.  even the swim is uphill

2012-02-13 5:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Massapequa, NY
I'm doing Rev3 Quassy as a prep race.  That is, if i recover from a stress fracture i suffered last week.  In a walking boot for 6-8 weeks.
2012-02-18 3:22 PM

Looks like average water temp will be right around wet suite legal cut off?..any thoughts if we should plan on training with wet suite or not? If plan on wet suite I'm thinking sleeveless for less restriction and since water wont be real cold? is there any benefit to a full suite for jelly fish protection or is that not such an issue? any/all advice is greatly appreciated......175 days..... but who's counting.......
2012-02-23 6:02 PM
in reply to: #4054670

User image

The organizers are saying it should be wet suit legal but nobody can say for sure until the day of.  If you are allowed to wear a wetsuit you should as they do make you faster.  I prefer a full wet suit as the extra neoprene will make you more bouyant.  There are a number of suits that also add ridges and other things to the forearm of the suit to get more drag when you are doing the pull phase of the stroke which will also make you faster.  If you do find the full suit to be restrictive then by all means go for the sleeveless, my wife does, but there are advantages to going with a full suit if you can wear one.

Hope that helps  

2012-02-24 7:55 PM
in reply to: #4054670

User image

Expert

fisrttimeIM - 2012-02-18 4:22 PM Looks like average water temp will be right around wet suite legal cut off?..any thoughts if we should plan on training with wet suite or not? If plan on wet suite I'm thinking sleeveless for less restriction and since water wont be real cold? is there any benefit to a full suite for jelly fish protection or is that not such an issue? any/all advice is greatly appreciated......175 days..... but who's counting.......

The water temp will be right around the wetsuit legal cutoff, so be prepared to not wear it (it was about 77 degrees for the NYC Tri last year, which was August 7th).  It should be a fast swim, but may be choppy.  And even if you don't care about a Kona slot, with the air temp and humidity in NJ/NYC at that time of year, it's just too hot.  As far as jellyfish, I know that one year they were an issue for the NYC tri, but they certainly weren't last year.  But if it's close to the cutoff, again, it's probably too warm for a fullsuit.

2012-02-26 3:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Massapequa, NY

took the Palisades home today from a trip upstate.  was able to catch on to the route where it passes 287 (nanuet area just before the tappan zee bridge).  Lots of long steady climbs and equally fast descents.  Not a lot of flat areas at all.  The only thing i was thinking the whole drive is that you basically have a 2-lane highway and since this is a loop course, you are going to have some people pushing 45+ MPH on the same section where people will be laboring up a hill with very little room to spare.  I do hope everyone pays attention.

Took the palisades right down to Ross Dock and the view is aboslutely stunning.  Perfect area for a transition.  be sure to gear your bike properly as you will be climbing immediately and steadily.  If your heart rate is spiking after the swim, it might even make sense to take some extra time in T1 because the ride out of there onto the Palisades is STEEP and long.  I was down there at low tide this morning and the water was pretty murky and shallow.  I swam in the Hudson for the NYC tri and its not as bad as everyone says it is, but today it was nasty.  I have a short video of the ride down into tranisition that i'll post when i have some time.  Hit the Hills.  Seriously.  This course is no joke.  I'm planning to get over there again several times in the near future so for any of you non-locals, I'll video as much as I can.  You dont want to see this for the first time on August 11th.

Edited by Dlyon 2012-02-26 3:07 PM
2012-02-26 4:21 PM
in reply to: #4067152

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Dave - thanks for the information and I am looking forward to your videos. This will be my first IM and first trip to New York so any pics, vids or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Safe training.

KC

Dlyon - 2012-02-26 4:03 PM

took the Palisades home today from a trip upstate.  was able to catch on to the route where it passes 287 (nanuet area just before the tappan zee bridge).  Lots of long steady climbs and equally fast descents.  Not a lot of flat areas at all.  The only thing i was thinking the whole drive is that you basically have a 2-lane highway and since this is a loop course, you are going to have some people pushing 45+ MPH on the same section where people will be laboring up a hill with very little room to spare.  I do hope everyone pays attention.

Took the palisades right down to Ross Dock and the view is aboslutely stunning.  Perfect area for a transition.  be sure to gear your bike properly as you will be climbing immediately and steadily.  If your heart rate is spiking after the swim, it might even make sense to take some extra time in T1 because the ride out of there onto the Palisades is STEEP and long.  I was down there at low tide this morning and the water was pretty murky and shallow.  I swam in the Hudson for the NYC tri and its not as bad as everyone says it is, but today it was nasty.  I have a short video of the ride down into tranisition that i'll post when i have some time.  Hit the Hills.  Seriously.  This course is no joke.  I'm planning to get over there again several times in the near future so for any of you non-locals, I'll video as much as I can.  You dont want to see this for the first time on August 11th.

2012-02-26 7:16 PM
in reply to: #4065490

Thanks for the advise Christine and Mark
2012-02-26 7:16 PM
in reply to: #4065490

Thanks for the advice Christine and Mark
2012-02-27 8:22 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Dave's synopsis is spot on. It's VERY hilly. Since I ran the course (NJ side only), I've been hitting the hills. I plan on heading back for some runs, and probably also some rides up 9W that runs parallel to the PIP. Anyone interested?

2012-02-28 9:37 AM
in reply to: #4068059

User image

Veteran

@runnerx - let me know when you plan to ride.

and as far as the "hilly" aspect goes - i pulled up my Rev3 Quassy bike ride from '09 race - it was 3450 ft of climbing ... and i didnt capture the first 5 miles (i thought that garmin was on but i didnt hit the button correctly) so total climb was higher. 

so that looks like 3500+ for 56 miles.

what's the best intel we have for this 112 mile route?

2012-02-28 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4070328

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
MillMan221 - 2012-02-28 10:37 AM

@runnerx - let me know when you plan to ride.

and as far as the "hilly" aspect goes - i pulled up my Rev3 Quassy bike ride from '09 race - it was 3450 ft of climbing ... and i didnt capture the first 5 miles (i thought that garmin was on but i didnt hit the button correctly) so total climb was higher. 

so that looks like 3500+ for 56 miles.

what's the best intel we have for this 112 mile route?

Accordingly the site, the total gain is 3,898ft on the bike and 2,137ft on run.  The bike doesn't look like it will be as tough elevation wise as Quassy, but is still tough.  However, that run is looking extremely challenging!

2012-02-29 9:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
Hey All - Been away from the thread for a bit but my email has been blowing up with updates so I figured something must be a buzz... and I was right. Hills. Appriciate the heads up and data from those that have been on the course, its a big help. I myself will be trying to get out there to survey both courses sometime in the next month or so. I'll be sure to take my Garmins with me and record data.

Side note - New email came out today, nice to see that the race will officially be wetsuit legal. Should make for a fast swim.

2012-02-29 3:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Massapequa, NY
Hew Shawn-  welcome back, I notice that you mention a stress fracture in your signature.  I am nursing a 2nd metatarsal sfx in my right foot and am in week 3 of the boot.  i've been cycling (seated indoors on trainer, and swimming a ton).  Where was your fracture and how long did it take to recover?  IMNYC will be my first IM so I'm taking this injury seriously and being super-careful 
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman U.S. Championship : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 27