2012-01-04 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3971524

User image

Veteran
Dallas/Ft. Worth
Subject: RE: Team KiterChick - CLOSED
RushTogether - 2012-01-04 6:16 PM

Question for all of my team mates-

I am currently working out at 5am.  For roughly an hour/hour and a half.  Currently I am eating before I go work out, around 415.   My question is, am I doing this right?  Or should I be eating AFTER I work out???

In my opinion, you should ALWAYS eat after working out.  Your body has just spent a ton of calories and you have broken down your muscles.  It is important to replenish your fuel supplies, and a big portion of that should be lean protein to aid in the recovery of your muscles.

For me personally, it depends greatly on what I am doing, how long, and what time of day as to what if anything I will eat before working out.  One great thing about working out first thing in the morning is that overnight your body has used up most of your "fuel" stores, leaving you depleted.  That means that if you workout at a medium intensity first thing in the morning, the only source of fuel your body has is stored fat.  I have found that this aides in quicker weight loss.  This works great for a 30-45 minute session, but I would imagine it being pretty rough for 90 minutes.  You don't want to compromise the quality of your workout, because that would obviously be counter-productive.

Try some different things out and see what works best for you.  It's about 10% opinion, 10% science, 80% personal preference.

2012-01-04 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3942327

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
I normally workout at around that same time. Depending on my workout, I will have fruit or a protein bar and then a large meal after. But I agree it is mostly personal preference.
2012-01-04 9:31 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-01-05 7:33 AM
in reply to: #3971846

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

tribryan - 2012-01-04 9:31 PM Hello everyone! Well I will be starting my workouts on Friday and I was wondering if I should use my heart rate monitor to build a base.

I would say yes.  You really need to establish your heart rate zones (max heart rate, resting heart rate).  This will help you determine how much to exert yourself during your workouts.  Again my opinion, but you should look into VO2 testing.  

2012-01-05 9:30 AM

Veteran
Boston, MA

Morning everyone! The good news is that my date yesterday went well, but the bad news is that because of that, it went on relatively late, so I had to sleep in this morning. I have a date with my trainer tonight though, so I still plan on getting that workout in.

Sebastian - Luckily I haven't had to deal with many waves, but yes, it's rough when the chop is coming in from my breathing side. I honestly can't breathe on my left side yet though, I tried it. I'm sure if I just practice it that it will come around though.

Tyler - I'm doing Rev3 Cedar Point in OH for my IM. As for nutrition, I agree you should do what works best for you. Personally, I always eat before working out in the morning. Otherwise, I feel really drained, as I suspect you would too with 60-90 minute workouts. In regards to effects on weight loss, I've found the literature on the subject to be mixed. There's certainly a widespread belief that you'll burn more fat if you wait until afterward to eat, but I found a 2011 study where the authors concluded "when moderate endurance exercise is done to lose body fat, fasting before exercise does not enhance lipid utilization" so the jury may still be out. All the more reason to do what works best for you. For longer workouts, a small recovery snack is a good idea. When my training increases, I'll have a Greek yogurt, protein drink/bar or chocolate milk.

Bryan - Establishing your HR zones now is a great idea. Not only will you be able to establish current workouts around them, but you'll also be able to reference this later to monitor improvements in your fitness.

2012-01-05 11:41 AM
in reply to: #3972505

Expert
KiterChick - 2012-01-05 9:30 AM

Morning everyone! The good news is that my date yesterday went well, but the bad news is that because of that, it went on relatively late, so I had to sleep in this morning. I have a date with my trainer tonight though, so I still plan on getting that workout in.

Sebastian - Luckily I haven't had to deal with many waves, but yes, it's rough when the chop is coming in from my breathing side. I honestly can't breathe on my left side yet though, I tried it. I'm sure if I just practice it that it will come around though.

Tyler - I'm doing Rev3 Cedar Point in OH for my IM. As for nutrition, I agree you should do what works best for you. Personally, I always eat before working out in the morning. Otherwise, I feel really drained, as I suspect you would too with 60-90 minute workouts. In regards to effects on weight loss, I've found the literature on the subject to be mixed. There's certainly a widespread belief that you'll burn more fat if you wait until afterward to eat, but I found a 2011 study where the authors concluded "when moderate endurance exercise is done to lose body fat, fasting before exercise does not enhance lipid utilization" so the jury may still be out. All the more reason to do what works best for you. For longer workouts, a small recovery snack is a good idea. When my training increases, I'll have a Greek yogurt, protein drink/bar or chocolate milk.

Bryan - Establishing your HR zones now is a great idea. Not only will you be able to establish current workouts around them, but you'll also be able to reference this later to monitor improvements in your fitness.

Thank you!

I'll just try some different things and see how it goes.   Weighed myself last night..down 6.5lbs!

750yds in the pool this morning.  Getting any better yet?  I don't think so.  But, the hunt is out for a swim coach, so I hope to fix that problem over the next couple months.

Edited by RushTogether 2012-01-05 11:41 AM

2012-01-05 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3972505

Davis Square, Somerville, MA

Got in a run during lunch yesterday and an hour on the trainer last night.  Today is a scheduled rest day, and I have no idea what to do with myself.  Feels like I am actually in the groove this week, so any days not training feel like a waste.  If I can only bottle this excitement for those days of pure unmotivation that will surely pop up.

Tomorrow is a swim day, but I am thinking maybe an extra run day instead.  I find Friday's to be a really hard day to get to the pool.  My usual swim time during the week is a late lunch- usually around 2.  But on Friday's there always seems to be a stream of people from lunch time through the afternoon. 

Does anybody else have a particuraly good swim time?  Mornings are hard for me- the equal division of labor in my house means that I get the morning breakfast and daycare duties.  Any workouts have to be super early, in the 5 am time frame, and my body doesn't function well until around 7. 

2012-01-05 4:59 PM

New user
My best time for a swim is on the way home after a night shift, although the amount of oldies make the the pool look like that film Cocoon Had a lot of lower back pain the last week or so, seems to coincide with me spending more time on the bike trainer, any thoughts?
2012-01-05 6:12 PM
in reply to: #3973484

Expert

williemc432 - 2012-01-05 4:20 PM

Does anybody else have a particuraly good swim time?  Mornings are hard for me- the equal division of labor in my house means that I get the morning breakfast and daycare duties.  Any workouts have to be super early, in the 5 am time frame, and my body doesn't function well until around 7. 

For me, there is NEVER a good time to swim.  HAHA. 

Seriously though, I am trying to do ALL of my workouts at 5am.  Sure, it sucks getting up at 4am and out the door by 445, but worth it when you're done.  I realize that is not an option for some people, but that has been what works out best for me.  Now when I get into longer workouts this spring, I may have to change that.

2012-01-05 7:08 PM
in reply to: #3972827

Dallas, TX
RushTogether - 2012-01-05 11:41 AM .   Weighed myself last night..down 6.5lbs!

Congrats!!  That is great.

I feel like a slacker reading through everyone's workouts.  I ran yesterday and reaggrevated whatever I did to my foot on Sunday.  It was swollen and hard to walk on Monday.  My PT looked at it on Tuesday and we don't think anything is broke.  I felt almost better yesterday so I ran again and it started back halfway through the run.  Hurts to walk.  I travelled yesterday and today, it's hard, but not impossible to walk using without putting weight on the middle of the foot.

2012-01-05 11:52 PM

I always swim in the mornings, the problem is it seems everyone else does too! But i found 6am Mon, Wed, Fri just work best for me. Then I can ride to work on Tues and Thurs and all running is done in the afternoons. Sometimes I think it would be best to run in the morning though, especially given how hot it gets here over summer but to run I would have to have something to eat before going whereas swimming i can just roll out of bed and go. So, overall its more time efficient for me.

Is there a particular heart rate monitor any of you would recommend? I've only used training plans so far that are based on perceived rate of exersion and i find I can be very lazy using this method on my un-motivated days. Heart rate might be the way to go!

2012-01-06 7:19 AM

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Good morning all,  I normally swim in the morning as well.  I am fortunate that there are several options for my morning swim.  

This morning I had a pretty good swim.  Ran into a lot of "resolution" swimmers.  That is always fun.  But I was able to stick to my routine pretty well.  Still working on my swim endurance.  

2012-01-06 7:32 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-01-06 8:00 AM

Veteran
Boston, MA

So...I didn't workout again yesterday. Wait! Before you all grab the tar and feathers, I did put in an hour on the trainer this morning, and I'm planning on swimming and running tonight. Looking like a nice weekend too, so I shouldn't have any issues getting in workouts then.

Tyler - Way to go losing 6.5lbs, that's great! I'm also impressed you're waking up so early to workout. I actually thought of you this morning when I got up at 5:45. I really wanted to sleep in more, but thought, "If Tyler can wake up at 4, I can certainly get up now!". As for the swimming, I know it's frustrating. Hopefully when you get a coach, they'll teach you some key techniques that will lead to bigger gains.

Will - Can you give me some of that extra motivation? I could certainly use it! As for swim times, back when I actually went in the summer, I liked to go around 7-8 if possible. It was difficult to do if I had plans, but if not, it was much less crowded.

Chris - Sorry you're dealing with back pain. I'm not entirely sure what would be causing that, but perhaps the fact that the trainer tends to keep you in a more static position is contributing to it. I know when I ride outside, I move around a lot more due to the varied terrain, which is not the case on the trainer.

Teddie - I feel so bad for you dealing with that injury! I'm glad you're continuously working with your PT, so hopefully they'll be able to get you through this. Hope you get better soon!

Frances - I have generally used Garmin products with their accompanying HR monitors. I realize that they are pricey, however, and if you only want to monitor HR and don't need the corresponding GPS data, it's a bit much. A lot of people like Polar ones, and they seem to get good reviews.

Ken - The resolution swimmers have been a major deterrent for me getting back in the pool. Not because they're slow (that would be pretty hypocritical of me), but just because it's more crowded.

Bryan - Could you give me a bit more background on what you're asking about? Are you concerned because you would generally run faster, but had to bring down your pace a lot in order to stay in your target HR zone? Also, how did you establish your zones? I know that using the generic 220-age = max HR can be rough, and it would be more accurate to perform an actual threshold test. For me, the equation states 187, but it's really approximately 182, at least for biking, a 3% difference. In the meantime, I'll do some reading on running and HR zones, because admittedly, while I used them somewhat for biking, I've always run on feel, so I'm not as familiar with applying it to running.

Finally, let's all wish Sebastian luck with his sprint race tomorrow. I'm sure he'll do great!

2012-01-06 9:06 AM

Expert

Good Luck Sebastian!

Rest day for me today.  After 6 days straight of working out, my body was telling me it was time for a rest. So Sarah, good job at beating me up and out of bed this morning!  Gonna hit it hard this weekend with at least one swim work out, 2 run work outs, and a ST workout.  

I need  to keep busy during the weekends, keep me away from all the beer and food that the weekend brings.

I also want to thank you all.  It's great having you guys as "teammates".  Always look forward to the great advice and inspiration that you all bring every day.

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

Edited by RushTogether 2012-01-06 9:08 AM
2012-01-06 1:48 PM
in reply to: #3974620

Davis Square, Somerville, MA
RushTogether - 2012-01-06 10:06 AM

Rest day for me today.  After 6 days straight of working out, my body was telling me it was time for a rest. So Sarah, good job at beating me up and out of bed this morning!  Gonna hit it hard this weekend with at least one swim work out, 2 run work outs, and a ST workout.  

I need  to keep busy during the weekends, keep me away from all the beer and food that the weekend brings.

x2 on the diet- I love beer, wine and greasy food.  I used to be 25 pounds heavier, triathlon has thankfully shaved a lot of those pounds off.  Things got a little out of hand over Christmas break, so now I need to lose that last 10 pounds all over again.  This weekend, my wife and I are going to a Serbian Christmas party- I am not sure what kind of food and drinks there will be, but I am sure they will all be yummy.

Sebastian- Good luck tomorrow.

2012-01-06 7:18 PM
in reply to: #3971524

Veteran
RushTogether - 2012-01-04 6:16 PM

Question for all of my team mates-

I am currently working out at 5am.  For roughly an hour/hour and a half.  Currently I am eating before I go work out, around 415.   My question is, am I doing this right?  Or should I be eating AFTER I work out???

I too workout first thing in the morning. I either go from work to the gym or after right after waking up. I eat both before and after working out. I try to eat about 2 hours before I work out. I go for a meal high in complex carbs with some simple carbs and protein. If I don't I found that I will bonk out of my workout after only 30 minutes or so and when I am working out I have to listen to my stomach rumbeling.

After my workout I generally go for a protein shake and some complex carbs. If I worked the night before I go to bed, if I did not work out I generally watch TV or play the piano. Something relaxing for a few hours to let my body rest.

2012-01-06 7:26 PM

Veteran
I have a question about treadmill running. I was doing hills on the treadmill and I noticed halfway through that on the uphill parts I was running right up next to the front bar and arching my back inwards. Like I was trying not to fall off. Now I've fallen off a teadmill once but that was years ago and I'm fine when running when its level. Can anyone give me some advise on how to stop arching my back inward? When I got done with my 4 miles my back was killing me!
2012-01-07 6:04 AM
in reply to: #3974368

kmatt318 - 2012-01-06 8:19 PM

Good morning all,  I normally swim in the morning as well.  I am fortunate that there are several options for my morning swim.  

This morning I had a pretty good swim.  Ran into a lot of "resolution" swimmers.  That is always fun.  But I was able to stick to my routine pretty well.  Still working on my swim endurance.  

What's a resolution swimmer?

Good exercise day for me today, 20km cycle in the morning and then 5.5km run this arvo, neither were training runs though (social touring cycle and orienteering for the run). 50km cycle tomorrow morning, I think may be a little sore when i log in tomorrow night :D

2012-01-07 6:17 AM

Veteran

A resolution swimmer is some one who comes in at the beginning of the years making a New Year Resolution to get in shape, swim, or do some other type of health exersise. Most of them will fall off the wagon in four to six weeks but there are some who stay the course and become regulars at the gym and/or pool.

I'm at work right now finishing up my last hour. I have a 1.2 mile swim today. I'm hopeing to do it in an hour or so. Generally at this time in the morning there are only a few of us regulars  even though I have been seeing one resolution swimmer there bright and early.

2012-01-07 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3976306

Dallas, TX
I started my half marathon training program this morning.  I am doing it with a local running store, I just do better with a group, especially for the long runs.  This was the first run that I actually felt good in a long time.  We did a 3 mile (but they mismeasured and to was ~3.5) timed run to put us in our pace groups.  They started us by our expected time.  I wanted to start with a faster group, but my PT is one of the coaches. and he made me start back a group.  I ran with a guy who was in my pace group last session and I pushed myself a bit to keep up with him.  I've lost a bit of conditioning slacking off the past month.

2012-01-07 1:47 PM

Veteran
Boston, MA

Happy Saturday everyone! So I've had a very productive triathlon based day so far. About time, right? Seriously though, we're yet again having unusually nice weather, so I took advantage of it and went on a 6M run. I also did one of my trainer workouts. I would have liked to be outside on the bike as well, but there aren't a lot of good short rides where I live.

I also headed outside to clean my road bike, which was nasty with salt and road grime after my January 1st ride. Apparently triathletes have a rep for having horrendous bike maintenance habits. I was admittedly in this group when I first started biking, but now I try to keep it relatively clean. It's not always perfect, but it has to beat riding with months worth of dirt clogging up the gears!

Tyler - Taking occasional rest days is just as important as working out, especially after six days in a row. Good job on keeping committed by the way! I'm glad you're enjoying the group, it's great having people like you who are excited and committed.

Will - Not much to say today, but wanted to mention that I'll see you at swim clinic tomorrow. I know we're not in the same group, but I'll be sure to catch you to say hi before you have to leave and my group starts up.

Hubbie - I haven't done much (okay, any...) hill work on treadmills, but I can picture what you're talking about. Perhaps focusing on keeping your shoulders and neck straight will help, since that should translate into a straighter back too. It's also good running form, regardless, so it can't hurt. Hope that helps!

Frances - Wow, sounds like you have a busy weekend lined up. Enjoy your ride!

Teddie - I'm so glad to hear you had a good run! Also, glad you chose to listen to your PT. Trust me, mentally, you sound a lot like me, and it would seriously frustrate me to have to drop back a couple of pace groups, knowing I'm capable of being faster, but you're not going to be fast if you're injured. I'd imagine if your recovery goes well, and your pace improves, you could bump up a group or two when the time comes.

I'm off to get ready to head to a friend's place now. He's Vietnamese and is making me some authentic Pho. It's a family recipe of his, so I'm sure it's going to be awesome. I hope everyone enjoys their Saturday!

2012-01-07 1:54 PM
in reply to: #3976844

Dallas, TX

KiterChick - 2012-01-07 1:47 PM

I'm off to get ready to head to a friend's place now. He's Vietnamese and is making me some authentic Pho. It's a family recipe of his, so I'm sure it's going to be awesome. I hope everyone enjoys their Saturday!

Yum!!!!!!!  I'm jealous!

2012-01-07 3:30 PM

Expert

Got a good run in this morning.  

I have spent pretty much all day watching triathlon videos(mainly Ironman) on Youtube.   Just confirms what my ultimate goal and dream are.

2012-01-07 7:14 PM

Veteran

Had an amazing day at the pool. I managed to set a new PR, did 2250 yards (1.25 miles) in 64 minutes. Normally I am a slow and steady swimmer but I pushed it today. I left the pool tired but glad I got through it.

I will try to keep my head and shoulder aligned and strait, hopefully that will keep my back from bowing in when I'm running.

Well its off to work now, have a good night everyone!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team KiterChick - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 22