BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2012-01-17 8:07 PM
in reply to: #3943465

User image

South Florida
Subject: RE: Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL

Woohoo! It's almost the weekend. Kinda. Got back out on the bike this weekend despite it be being low 50 degrees.  My toes were FROZEN and I couldn’t even run afterwards. I would not want to live back up. And to think I lived in PA for 25 years. It’s safe to say I don’t think I will be moving back to the frozen north anytime soon. I finally got my Powertap Computer back today and went out for a ride. Man I miss training with power. Wasn’t a bad ride, but my numbers aren’t what they were back in October. But that’s ok, there is plenty of time to put in the work!

2012-01-17 8:15 PM

User image

Wetumpka, AL
I need some advice.  I now officially suffering from cabin fever due to my fall from grace last week.  Ive tired to ride the trainer with bad results.  I tired to slowly jog yesterday and made it all of 200 ft before i realized that jogging was worse than the trainer.  I haven't tried swimming yet but I'm fairly sure swimming with jacked up ribs won't work either.  So, has anyone tired aqua jogging?  I know the Y has some of the belt thingy's (tech term) but I'm not sure if the effort to reward ratio is there.  I know something is better than nothing but I don't want to waste my time and possibly take longer to recover.  The March 4 full marathon is quickly approaching and Im now at week 2 of no meaningful workouts.  Advice is appreciated.  Ridicule will be taken with a shaker of salt, slice of lime and pitcher of margarita's.
2012-01-17 8:46 PM
in reply to: #3996205

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

bufit - 2012-01-17 6:15 PM I need some advice.  I now officially suffering from cabin fever due to my fall from grace last week.  Ive tired to ride the trainer with bad results.  I tired to slowly jog yesterday and made it all of 200 ft before i realized that jogging was worse than the trainer.  I haven't tried swimming yet but I'm fairly sure swimming with jacked up ribs won't work either.  So, has anyone tired aqua jogging?  I know the Y has some of the belt thingy's (tech term) but I'm not sure if the effort to reward ratio is there.  I know something is better than nothing but I don't want to waste my time and possibly take longer to recover.  The March 4 full marathon is quickly approaching and Im now at week 2 of no meaningful workouts.  Advice is appreciated.  Ridicule will be taken with a shaker of salt, slice of lime and pitcher of margarita's.

We tend to get a little crazy in the head when we're not training.. my advice is to take this time to heal properly.  If you push to hard you run the risk of lengthening you recovery.  Aqua jogging still may be hard on your ribs so take it slow.  I'm sort of in the same boat with my broken toe.  I have been able to at least swim and I tried my indoor trainer last night but certainly not up to Ironman training standards.  I have IM California 70.3 in March as well.

The best advice I can give is to adjust your expectations on the full marathon.  Maybe run the half if they offer one or instead of making this your "A" race, use it as a training run instead.  You will gain whatever fitness you have lost when your properly healed and can hit it hard!

2012-01-18 7:46 AM
in reply to: #3996205

User image

Master

bufit - 2012-01-17 8:15 PM I need some advice.  I now officially suffering from cabin fever due to my fall from grace last week.  Ive tired to ride the trainer with bad results.  I tired to slowly jog yesterday and made it all of 200 ft before i realized that jogging was worse than the trainer.  I haven't tried swimming yet but I'm fairly sure swimming with jacked up ribs won't work either.  So, has anyone tired aqua jogging?  I know the Y has some of the belt thingy's (tech term) but I'm not sure if the effort to reward ratio is there.  I know something is better than nothing but I don't want to waste my time and possibly take longer to recover.  The March 4 full marathon is quickly approaching and Im now at week 2 of no meaningful workouts.  Advice is appreciated.  Ridicule will be taken with a shaker of salt, slice of lime and pitcher of margarita's.

Can you walk uphill? There is some good evidence that walking up steep hills uses the same muscles as running. I think it has to be a 12 percent incline, but you can find the details on runners world.

I would think that anything would hurt with jacked up ribs though. I agree that you should rest until you can breath while working out. If you miss this marathon, there will be others.

2012-01-18 9:43 PM

User image

Master

Hey All,

How goes it? I am having an OK training week. No biking so far, but some decent swims and a good run. Hoping to get in 6 tomorrow morning.

2012-01-18 10:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Did a nice swim this morn with some strength training, then jumped on my trainer this eve and cranked out some intervals for 45 minutes.  Foot is getting better but still no running for at least 2 more weeks.  I can't wait to get back out there...

2012-01-19 7:59 AM
in reply to: #3998658

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE
eliwashere - 2012-01-18 9:43 PM

Hey All,

How goes it? I am having an OK training week. No biking so far, but some decent swims and a good run. Hoping to get in 6 tomorrow morning.

I'm still plugging away. I did my first 30 minute all out test on the bike today to determine my critical power and threshold heart rate. Tough workout but fell great now. Planned on swimming afterwards but there was already 2 people in each lane in the pool so it didn't take too much to point me towards home.

2012-01-19 8:01 AM

New user

Training here is average.  BUT not so that I am unhappy.  A couple weeks ago I decided the spare fridge HAD to be moved and tweaked my knee which has me running a tad slower.  Today I will get a swim and run in so it is all good.

My race is in a couple weeks.. not sure if I am where I want to be.  Trail running is hard to figure out for the first time. I will say this.. I having been 'tri - ing' for almost a year..finishing an 11.5 mile trail run with my fitness level will cause great celebration.

2012-01-19 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3998658

Not so great this week.  Been sick....but I am feeling better, so I should be ramping back up next weekend.  I am not suprised this usually happens this time of year. 
2012-01-19 5:29 PM
in reply to: #3999078

User image

Master
Chicaskeeper - 2012-01-19 8:01 AM

Training here is average.  BUT not so that I am unhappy.  A couple weeks ago I decided the spare fridge HAD to be moved and tweaked my knee which has me running a tad slower.  Today I will get a swim and run in so it is all good.

My race is in a couple weeks.. not sure if I am where I want to be.  Trail running is hard to figure out for the first time. I will say this.. I having been 'tri - ing' for almost a year..finishing an 11.5 mile trail run with my fitness level will cause great celebration.

Wow, trail runs can be tough. Watch your toes!

2012-01-19 5:29 PM
in reply to: #3999298

User image

Master

Nimue - 2012-01-19 9:31 AM Not so great this week.  Been sick....but I am feeling better, so I should be ramping back up next weekend.  I am not suprised this usually happens this time of year. 

Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. Hopefully it goes away soon.

Rest up, get healthy. There is always another chance to run!

2012-01-19 5:35 PM

User image

Master

Hey All,

Getting geared up for the weekend! I am at a company kickoff meeting this week, so we got some motivational speaker stuff today. It was actually pretty good, so I am happy about that.

Plus, I always like getting put up at a hotel and getting good food.

My wife is running her first ULTRA this weekend. She will be running the http://evergladesultras.com/

She is doing the 50 K, so I am really excited for her. Although I really wanted to run it with her, we couldn't get the logistics of babysitting organized, so I am going to be an athletic supporter this weekend. I am still hoping to get in a long ride at some point though.

Any good weekend plans?

2012-01-20 8:30 AM

New user

Goodluck to your wife and well done being her sherpa!

We have the pinewood derby this week and a kids tri club meeting.  I hope to hook up with some BTers for a trail run but the wether doesnt look to good.

2012-01-22 1:28 PM
in reply to: #4000426

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
eliwashere - 2012-01-19 3:35 PM

Hey All,

Getting geared up for the weekend! I am at a company kickoff meeting this week, so we got some motivational speaker stuff today. It was actually pretty good, so I am happy about that.

Plus, I always like getting put up at a hotel and getting good food.

My wife is running her first ULTRA this weekend. She will be running the http://evergladesultras.com/

She is doing the 50 K, so I am really excited for her. Although I really wanted to run it with her, we couldn't get the logistics of babysitting organized, so I am going to be an athletic supporter this weekend. I am still hoping to get in a long ride at some point though.

Any good weekend plans?

So cool your wife is doing an Ultra!  Can't wait to hear how it went.

I'm getting a little down on my training since I can't run and can barely spin on my trainer because of my foot.  I was able to put an hour on it today but the foot is throbbing as I'm writing this.  May try to swim tonight.  IM Cali in 9 weeks!!!

2012-01-22 8:27 PM

User image

Evansville, IN
Thankfully this week is over. I haven't been able to do much training because i've been putting in 15-18 hours. I have a quality inspection at work so I have been going through my dept. with a fine tooth comb making sure everything is perfect. It's as good as I can make it so i'm back on the road tomorrow.
2012-01-23 8:25 AM

User image

Master

Hey All,

Wow, I had a crazy week, and a great weekend. I was outside of Boston for the whole week at the corporate office, so I didn't have quite as much training time as I wanted. However, I managed a few good workouts, and did get in some good swimming.

I flew home on Friday, stayed long enough to pack and then we drove to Everglades City for my wife's ultra! This was the inaugural Everglades Ultra! Ultrasports LLC is a locally run race company and they put on the Keys 100, Palm 100, Peanut Island 24 and now the Everglades Ultra. It was pretty cool.

There isn't that much trail running in this part of Florida, so the chance to run in the Everglades was exciting. Even as a spectator/volunteer, it was motivating. 

Since this was the first year, it was a small group. 3 races- 25K, 50K and 50 Miles. My wife did the 50 K-Her first Ultra!

The weather was beautiful. It was a little chilly at 6 AM when the 50 mile race started, but the sky was full of stars, just incredible. 

By 10 AM, it had warmed up quite a bit. The runners had some shade while inside the actual swamp area, but they also had to run through some open prarie areas, and I think it was HOT!

My wife came in a little slower than we had expected, but it turns out the course was about 4 miles longer that advertised! She finished with a smile on her face. I have run over 5 marathons with her, and I swear she looked better at the end of this than she had for many of those.

After that, we relaxed, had dinner and explored the town of Everglades City.

On Sunday, I got in a decent 60 mile ride on the Tamiami trail. This is the old road that connects the Atlantic coast to the gulf coast. The road can be a bit narrow at times, and there was a stiff headwind (about 12 mph) just about the whole way. It was great to get out an ride though, especially after all the junk I ate while volunteering!

So, crazy week over, and now it is time to get back to work!

2012-01-23 10:07 AM
in reply to: #4004546

New user

Mitch - are you icing it ALOT?  We were able to find this refreezable finger cast that fit on a broken toe at a CVS.  It made icing really easy.  Soak in epsom salt also.

Eli - Awesome on your wife's race.  Hope she is super proud of herself.

2012-01-23 1:22 PM

User image

Master

Hey All,

Since I just came back from a company meeting, I was thinking about work. That made me realize I never asked what it is you all do? Anyone care to share?

For the last 12 years, I have worked as an IT instructor. Teaching and developing classes for IT technicians and doing certification training like Cisco, Microsoft and CompTIA. I also do customized application training.

My job recently changed when the company I work for shut down it's IT training department, as we weren't their main business. I am now working on developing training for new hires at the company, including skill and application training.

2012-01-23 7:13 PM
in reply to: #4006255

User image

South Florida
Way to go Eli's Wife! Boooooooooooooooooooop
2012-01-23 7:27 PM

User image

South Florida

Happy Monday! Had a decent weekend. Got in a ride on Saturday which was beautiful. It's the winter time down here that really makes me realize why i live here. It was pure sun and about 79 degrees. Can't wait to go out this weekend. Which i think i'm doing a FTP test with Eli. Should be "Fun"

So i've did some reading on the Barry P running plan, and i think im going to adapt to it. I'll admit i've been "lost" some times with running and kinda go out on a "wing it" plan. My goal for 2012 was to improve my run, so hopefully this will improve it.

As for my Job. I work for an Auto Insurance Company as a field claims adjuster. So when you get into an auto accident, im the guy that looks at the wrecked car. I've just about had every type of claim.Fires, floods, rollovers, cars in livingrooms, cars in pools, and cars with bullet holes in it from a drive by shooting. It's something new everyday. But i enjoy it.

2012-01-23 9:51 PM

User image

Evansville, IN

Had a good run this evening. It was fairly warm here and the wind had died from last nights severe storms so I took to the road after work. Good Monday work day and a nice run to finish it off.

I am the core manager for a heavy off road equipment company. We work on dozers, coal haul trucks that sort of thing. Mostly Cat but some other brands too. I control most of the product as it comes into the building and give credit back to the customer based off of the inspections. I spent the first several years as a mechanic, then advanced to a team leader and finally moved over to the office.

2012-01-24 6:27 AM

New user

nvalaitis I am doing BarryP.. it was hard for me to find my start distance but after about 6 weeks there is a difference in my run. I will admit I dont follow it exactly but getting 6 runs in a week seems to be what helped me.  The other thing I did was leave the watch at home and just run, no worry about tiume etc. 

What do I do for a living... I am a stay at home mom.  That makes me more of a cost center than revenue generator. .  Seriously I am very fortunate to have this opportunity.  The majority of my training is done with a 'helper'.  Sometimes having a kid tell you to 'suck it up buttercup' is what you ned.

2012-01-24 7:19 AM
in reply to: #4007403

User image

Master
Chicaskeeper - 2012-01-24 6:27 AM

nvalaitis I am doing BarryP.. it was hard for me to find my start distance but after about 6 weeks there is a difference in my run. I will admit I dont follow it exactly but getting 6 runs in a week seems to be what helped me.  The other thing I did was leave the watch at home and just run, no worry about tiume etc. 

What do I do for a living... I am a stay at home mom.  That makes me more of a cost center than revenue generator. .  Seriously I am very fortunate to have this opportunity.  The majority of my training is done with a 'helper'.  Sometimes having a kid tell you to 'suck it up buttercup' is what you ned.

That is so true. My daughter was often my "coach" when I first started. I bought her a whistle. I think her first words were "run faster"

And don't sell yourself short. As a "daddy track" parent, I can tell you, the stay at home thing costs a LOT of money and hassle to replace.

2012-01-24 8:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE

Swim this morning and run tonight. Forgot my watch at home this morning for my swim so I tried ohwhitneykay's suggestion of each lap representing at letter. That worked for the most part and made me realize after the letter 'j' I have to say the entire alphabet to remember the next letter (let the jokes ensue). 

As for my job, I work at a hospital as a community educator. Plan and coordinate educational seminars for community members, blood screenings, lamaze classes, babysitting classes. Last year I had the opportunity to be a race director. We put on a 5k and 10k. Lot of work and it makes you realize that goes on behind the scenes. So now when I go to a race I'm a little less frustrated if it's not 'perfect' because I now know how small details are easily missed. 

2012-01-24 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4007567

User image

Master
jpfeife - 2012-01-24 8:01 AM

Swim this morning and run tonight. Forgot my watch at home this morning for my swim so I tried ohwhitneykay's suggestion of each lap representing at letter. That worked for the most part and made me realize after the letter 'j' I have to say the entire alphabet to remember the next letter (let the jokes ensue). 

Ha! I have the same problem, so don't worry!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL Rss Feed  

of 16