BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FoggyGoggle's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2012-01-15 11:03 AM
in reply to: #3945983

User image

Logan Ut
Subject: RE: FoggyGog's Mentor Group - Closed
So i woke up this morning and my knees were hurting when i go up and down stairs.  I this due to running so hard. i havent ran so hard in a while.   (i know im slow 10 minute mile doesnt sound fast. but it is fast to me.)   any idea?

2012-01-15 12:08 PM
in reply to: #3991263

User image

EP

The  knee pain will go away as you go longer.  I found that walking some of the total distance helps a lot.  Ice them up real good too!!!!

I went to spin class yesterday but I had nothing for it.  I did the whole thing but it was really bad.  Empty tank.  I also very much despise those trainer/bike thingys.  So I bought another Spinervals DVD to do at home on a real bike instead.  

After I get my chores done I'll hit my new DVD and maybe go swim too.

2012-01-15 1:01 PM

User image

Veteran
N.Ireland

You need to be careful as your knees shouldn't be hurting going up and down the stairs post run, this is usually an indicator that something isn't right.

Knee pain can be associated to many different things and only a good physio can determine the root cause, granted it may dissappear but you won't have cured the cause and no doubt it will re-occur.

IF I get an ITB flare up I get pain on the outside of me knee when walking up and down the stairs, it goes away in about three days but means my running is side lined for a couple of weeks.

Whether you have ITB issues or not you should be rolling your ITband, its one of the common injuries associated to runners (and cyclists) and you never find out until its too late.

The most common cause for knee pain is worn shoes, I get around 400 miles out of a pair and know when its time to change as I'll feel discomfort around the knees during a run, once the shoes are replaced this goes away until the next time.

I',m sure its nothing to be concerned about, just keep an eye on it and if it persists see a physio.

2012-01-15 1:01 PM

User image

Veteran
N.Ireland

Edited by Marshpike 2012-01-15 1:02 PM
2012-01-15 6:59 PM

New user

I too have knee pain (ITB issues) when my shoes are old, but I can't get anywhere near 400 miles. If I get 300 its a miracle. I can usually feel my knees starting to hurt around 275 - 280 miles. I usually get them to last 300 by using them for shorter distance runs once they hit about 280. I think I am really hard on shoes!

Swam 1050 meters, longest swim so far. Didn't use any flippers or anything! I really tried what you said about not gulping the air so much and just trying to relax and taking a slightly larger than normal breath and it really  helped. I didn't get it right every time but I could definitely tell a difference when I did get it right. My breathing to the left is getting a little better too. I notice that I rotate pretty well when I bring my right side up but not so well on the left. So, I tried to work on that a little bit and it helped with actually getting air instead of water!! I was very happy with my swim today! This afternoon I went to the Y and did a 2 hour spin class. Yikes! That was pretty hard!

2012-01-15 10:43 PM

User image

EP
I did an Aerobic base builder Spinervals DVD tonight.  80 minutes long and I sat through the whole thing no problem.  I have to say it was pretty awesome.  Spin class it torture but the DVD's are pretty awesome.  Right now I can't recommend them enough!!!

2012-01-16 12:47 AM

User image

IT Band is terrible! I have not run since October, well I have been doing the eliptical finally...but that's not really running! Outside of the knee, worse when going down the stairs than up...PT has me doing lots of hip and glut strengthining stuff and I had to get better arch supports because of big arches and "stiff feet"...progress...but to start R.I.C.E=Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate...and Ibuprofen and stretching that IT Band and hips!

2012-01-16 7:04 AM
in reply to: #3991901

User image

Veteran
N.Ireland
selenag - 2012-01-16 12:59 AM

I too have knee pain (ITB issues) when my shoes are old, but I can't get anywhere near 400 miles. If I get 300 its a miracle. I can usually feel my knees starting to hurt around 275 - 280 miles. I usually get them to last 300 by using them for shorter distance runs once they hit about 280. I think I am really hard on shoes!

Swam 1050 meters, longest swim so far. Didn't use any flippers or anything! I really tried what you said about not gulping the air so much and just trying to relax and taking a slightly larger than normal breath and it really  helped. I didn't get it right every time but I could definitely tell a difference when I did get it right. My breathing to the left is getting a little better too. I notice that I rotate pretty well when I bring my right side up but not so well on the left. So, I tried to work on that a little bit and it helped with actually getting air instead of water!! I was very happy with my swim today! This afternoon I went to the Y and did a 2 hour spin class. Yikes! That was pretty hard!

Welldone on the swim!!

A good trick with runners (although a little expensive) is to purchase two pairs, rotating them allows the compression in the sole to recover and they reckon rotating two pairs lasts along as three pairs.

I would say this depends on how much running you are doing though, if only a couple of times a week I'd say they getting time recover any how.

2012-01-16 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3991901

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-01-16 4:44 PM

New user

Ok, Foggy, Well, I guess I owe you big time! Because what you said clicked in my brain and swimming isn't near as hard as it was even a week ago! It still isn't easy and I am not doing it perfectly but I swam today (after running 10 miles) and I swam a mile! (Ok 1600 meters but close enough!) It took me 54 min 28 sec but I did it! I didn't have to stop near as much as usual. I think I am finally starting to get it!!! Last time I tried to swim after doing another activity (it was the bike) I nearly drowned because my legs were so tired. So thank you!! Going to a spin class at the Y later this evening.
2012-01-17 1:03 AM

Veteran
N.Ireland

YYyiiippppppeee.............

I completed my first run with orthotics today 2.63miles (round the block) in a 7.40 min/mile pace.

Doesn't sound like much but I've had my orthotics since lasts August (they cost me £320), due to the a few halfs and full marathon already scheudled I didn't start weaering them until November. Took me all of December to break them in my work shoes and when I started wearing them walking about in the evening my feet when to pieces, two weeks ago I couldn't even walk with no shoes on as they were aching all over.

It took me aaaagggeeessss to find the right shoe and runner to put them in that suited me but I finally got there, I did get it wrong the first time having to dump a pair of work shoes and runners (another £120 binned).

I was wearing my insole over my orthotic but got frustrated with the pain and just removed the insole during the middle of last week and the intensity of the aching decrease signifcantly, last night there was only a miinor ache in my right foot so I decided to go for a run this morning.

Ran round the block in 20min 20 sec a new pb for this course and I had no discomfort at all, I know it was only a short distance but I feel I'm actually getting some where to curing my biomechanic issues and ITB, three months left until the events really start over here so now I have hope.

And to top it off my bike came yesterday, wifey can't believe I spent all that money and there's no pedals, lol....

2012-01-17 6:33 AM

2012-01-17 6:40 AM

Veteran
Waterford, MI.

It's been a few days since Iv'e checked in.  I have spent the last four days unplugged.  No cell phone, no computer, no BT, and unfortunately, no training.

My wife is a school teacher so she gets MLK day off, and since we finally got some snow in northern Michigan, she took friday off as well, and Thursday night we went up to our place up north with some friends for a long weekend of snowmobiling.  

I did manage to make it out for a four mile run on Saturday morning. Holy cow was it cold. it was 7 degrees F.out when I left, but warmed up to a balmy 9 by the time I got back. Other than that, not the best weekend fitness wise.  Ate way to much!!!

Unfortunately it doesn't look like today is going to be much better as far as training goes.  I've got to work a few hours this morning, then class early this afternoon, then volleyball early evening (coaching not playing) then volleyball this evening ( playing, not coaching)

2012-01-17 8:46 AM
in reply to: #3994324

2012-01-17 9:31 AM

EP

marsh Which ride did you land on?  I hope it works out for you!  Does your shop fit you on the bike as well??

And to all you long distance swimmers I'm sure jealous.  I lifted yesterday day morning then went and swam 600 yards after work.  I feel like my kick has had a break through.  All though I have heard that cyclists have a bad kick since we naturally use our legs differently.  I can tell that I'm doing something different cause a different part of the leg gets tired.  So I hope i'm on the right path.  I feel like I'm getting better but man progress is really slow!!!

Does anyone have info on building your own training schedule?  I've tried the to understand the Triathletes training bible but thats not going well.  Or am I better off to do some sort of on-line trainer like D3 or the like??  Any thoughts???

2012-01-17 10:25 AM

Veteran
Toronto, Canada

UGHHHHH.  I've been hit with some sort of stomach bug.  I've been unable to do ANYTHING physical since Thursday.  Went to the Dr's office yesterday and said it could last up to 10 days.

I can't eat anything or hold it down.  This completly SUCKS!

Anyone have any tips to help flush this sucker out??

2012-01-17 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3994729

2012-01-17 12:32 PM
in reply to: #3994892

2012-01-17 12:43 PM
in reply to: #3994729

Veteran
N.Ireland
StriderArrows - 2012-01-17 3:31 PM

marsh Which ride did you land on?  I hope it works out for you!  Does your shop fit you on the bike as well??

I ended up going for a CAAD10 with a 105 component set, I purchased online so it came in pack form. A friend who races is going to do a basic set up and I'm considering a fit. £175 per bike fitting, £125 each for two bikes being done so if I can rope someone else in I'd most probably get it sorted.

What's the consensus, will a basic set up do for now, or is a fitting worth the money.

2012-01-17 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3995252

2012-01-17 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3993598

Edited by FoggyGoggles 2012-01-17 2:45 PM

2012-01-17 4:28 PM

New user

Subject: Extra workouts

My true passion is martial arts.  So to change things up I did a solid 1 hr of Muay Thai then two days later 45 mins of jiu jitsu.  Grappling is very hard on my body, especially the neck, but love is love.  Anyway, it really was nice to work that in along with my normal running and bike routine. 

Does anyone else do sports as an additional workout?

Jesse

2012-01-17 4:58 PM

Veteran
N.Ireland
Subject: RE: FoggyGoggle's Mentor Group - Closed

I know this looks like a lot but its not really when you have a routine, feeling good after todays wqrk, seem to be starting to get in touch with my nutrition which is helping no end.

I do an hour work out in the morning before the kids are up and an hour in the evening when the kids go to bed, just habit now.

‎2.65 mile run
200 sit ups
50 press ups
  30 min bike work in gym
  20 min cycle on road
  30 Squatts
  30 Lunges x 2
3 x 30 Plank
3 x 30 Bridge x 2
  3 x 20 chest press
  3 x 20 glutes multihip x 2
  Stretch ham, quads, itb, aductors
  Roll and ice ITB x 2

Would like to add I cooked dinner and made lunches

2012-01-17 8:07 PM
in reply to: #3995252

EP

Marsh - Sweet I look forward to hearing about the CAADX as you get more seat time!!!  I would agree with the boss man to an extent.  Have your racing buddy set it up for the time being.  It may be a tad uncomfortable right away in some area's.  If its liveable go ahead and stay with it.  If your body doesn't adjust or get used to it speak up.  Now pound out some miles!!!

Foggy, I'm doing mostly sprints and one olympic this year.  I'm thinking about running the twin cities marathon this year too (that is one of my major worries the milage needed for that event is going to be huge!!!  How will it effect my other training days and so on).  I don't have any swimming gear at this time.  I will have to invest in some.  Your explaination is how I understand a proper kick would be.  That is what I feel like I'm doing, and it really rips!!!!  I have a friend that was a big time swimmer that is going to swim with me every now and than I hope she can give me some good pointers.  But I think the biggest thing is going to be just putting in the yards

As for my training today I'm thinking of doing a 20 min time trial on the trainer when I get home.  Not sure how much aerobic and anaerobic training I should be doing.......

2012-01-18 6:23 AM
in reply to: #3995888

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FoggyGoggle's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 32