BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2012-04-27 8:39 AM
in reply to: #4128570

User image

Veteran
Missoula
Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel"-OPEN

Go get em Tom!

2012-04-27 9:18 AM

User image

Veteran

Oh, I forgot!  I need PROTECTION! NOOO, not that!

And Vikings too, Woo Hoo  Though I'm not sure how they will fit in the pool.

Whale Wars: Viking Shores

2012-04-27 9:19 AM
in reply to: #4176353

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
TLakatos1259 - 2012-04-27 9:26 AM

Stomach update:

Feeling better, plan on wearing my whale outfit, going to packet pickup today incase I need any last minute items.

I'm right there with ya, Tom!! My first sprint is on Sunday, and I'm startin' to get some butterflies!! I'll be thinking about you!!

2012-04-27 9:30 AM

User image

Veteran

Seriously Now:

Transitions opens at 5:30, closes at 7:15.  What time should I get there and how much time do I need to set up?

Should I fill my water bottle with energy drink for the run?

I was planning on 2 packs of oatmeal for breakfast before I leave at 5 am, enough time and enough food?

Thanks for all the encouragement gang.  This has definitely been the funniest week we have had on the Mys-tri tour.

Tom

2012-04-27 10:22 AM
in reply to: #4176529

User image

Expert
Hammond
TLakatos1259 - 2012-04-27 9:30 AM

Seriously Now:

Transitions opens at 5:30, closes at 7:15.  What time should I get there and how much time do I need to set up?

Tom- or whoever you are-

I say for your first you can't get there too early. I would say no later than 06:00am. It doesn't really take you long to set up but it's nice to get the nerves out to not be rushed, get to meet some of the other athletes and just learn the lay of the land. Make sure you find the entrances and exists for the bike and run and know where your bike is in relation to those. Then too if you have any unexpected surprises you have time to deal with them. You also have porta potty time- which with a trisuit takes a little longer- well for women it does anyway- I guess I don't know about men's-lol. You may be amazed how many times you can potty in an hour and a half.

What do you usually bring on your runs? For my first tri I just relied on the water stations. I don't like carrying anything and at that time I didn't have my race belt that had the bottle holders. The races I've done have some type of energy drink and water at the aid station. Both only had one aid station at the 1 mile mark. The courses were a loop so it basically gave you access to it at mile one and mile two then you were at finish line for mile 3.

Also one more suggestion. If you are bringing a water/energy drink bottle on the bike - fill it half way the night before and freeze it. Then race morning fill it the rest of the way. Gives you nice cold drink for your bike ride. If the temps will be fairly high you may want to freeze a little more than half. For my first I only did half and it had melted and was hot alreay by the time I needed it. However my tri was in New Orleans at the end of May. Can I just say HOT!

I was planning on 2 packs of oatmeal for breakfast before I leave at 5 am, enough time and enough food?

I would think that would be fine. I like one cup of oatmeal, a banana and a cup of coffee- but that's strictly a personal preference thing. I'd say go with whatever you usually eat for your brick workout days. When I did my first tri, my friends and I would do a mock tri of all the distances at least once a week, for a few weeks. Really helped us tweak what we liked and didn't like for race day. On race day we just did whatever had worked for us in training. Oatmeal and scrambled eggs were the two meals that did the best for me. If I do oatmeal I add the banana, If I choose eggs I add spinach, tomatoes and ham cubes and make it like an omelet or a wheat wrap.

Thanks for all the encouragement gang.  This has definitely been the funniest week we have had on the Mys-tri tour.

Tom

And most of all HAVE FUN! Don't take any of it too seriously. Can't wait to read the RR.

May the legs be with you- and the orcas, and vikings, and crazy naked ladies- hehehe

Shelly

2012-04-27 10:25 AM
in reply to: #4176529

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
TLakatos1259 - 2012-04-27 9:30 AM

Seriously Now:

Tom

I am normally late for EVERYTHING in life. BUT in triathlon with the exception of last years Chicago Tri debacle, i get there very early. Its not like you are going to sleep much the night before anyhow. Get there as soon as transition opens so you can take your time and set up. Walk around, look at all the pretty bikes, see how others set up. Gives you time to get your mind right.

It will only take you 5-10 minutes to actually set up but you may re-set it up a few times.

Oatmeal -same as me thats what i typically eat as well. Its enough, i will also munch on a half a cliff bar or power bar gel blasts not long before, with a lil bit of sports drink.

As far as thhe drink on the run, I usually do have a bottle set up for a quick drink before heading out on the run, id go for sports drink. Water ought to be available to you on the course. Sports drink maybe not.

As far as not feeling the love.. Tom you are one of our rock stars!!!! So rock on big bro! Cant wait for your report on how it all went for you!
And sorry again about dropping the "A" that will most likely not happen in the 3rd tour.

2012-04-27 10:26 AM
in reply to: #4176506

User image

Expert
Hammond
Sarah73 - 2012-04-27 9:19 AM
TLakatos1259 - 2012-04-27 9:26 AM

Stomach update:

Feeling better, plan on wearing my whale outfit, going to packet pickup today incase I need any last minute items.

I'm right there with ya, Tom!! My first sprint is on Sunday, and I'm startin' to get some butterflies!! I'll be thinking about you!!

Sarah,

What tri are you doing Sunday? Have you found out about the water temps? Good luck and have fun.

Can't wait to read the race report.

Shelly

2012-04-27 10:30 AM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
SHELLLEEEEEEEEEE! Just wanted to say that! Every one in a while have to do that!

BTW thx for your help with ipad for,atting thing. Works great now!

2012-04-27 10:52 AM
in reply to: #4175891

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
fitmomma2010 - 2012-04-26 9:21 PM
mjh1975 - 2012-04-26 12:17 PM
quincyf - 2012-04-26 12:10 PM
oriolepwr - 2012-04-26 8:52 AM
quincyf - 2012-04-25 11:09 PM
mjh1975 - 2012-04-25 10:34 PM

Evening or good morning (depending on when you read this) everyone!  Sorry I dropped of the face of the planet on the last tour.  Promise it wont happen again. 

Have any space left on the ride? 

See, Dave, see????????!!!!!! nudity+vikings+killer whales=they're coming out of the woodwork!!!

It's OK Matt, the alien abductions are really bad this spring. Welcome back...Q

Matt-  Oh yeah how can we go out on tour with out our drummer? 

Here is Matt in action people!   Oh and this was BEFORE he was abducted by aliens!

Q-  Ya ya I see I see!!  Pretty soon we can start the CONTEST!    BTW can you donate a can of Mrs Renfro's ghost pepper salsa as part of the winner package???  hmmmmmmm???     more to come on this.    

I can, but don't tell babydaddy, he's HOARDING that stuff...

Thanks Q and glad to be back.  They are still trying to get the device the aliens put in my head out, but the Dr. say that as long as I keep wearing the tin foil hat that everything will be alright. 

LMAO. I can't even get thought the posts cause I'm laughing too hard at them. Welcome back Matt. Shelly

Hi Shelly, it's good to be back.  HOw are things on your end?

2012-04-27 10:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Missoula

Tom, 

I agree you should show up early, hang out, meet a few folks, and allow yourself time to calm a bit. <--- Good luck with that last one.  

I was amazed at the rookie mistakes I made when my mind was running on adrenalin. ie: put my helmet on before my shirt, mounted my bike at the rack, never accounted for jello legs entering T2, etc.)  But looking back I remember how much fun it was anyway. Don't worry about those issues, just be prepared to have a few. That is part of the fun.

Your nutrition sounds fine, but I would caution not to add something that you haven't tried prior to a workout. I prefer water on the run, but do what works for you. 

PS:     - bring a 5 gal bucket to sit on in transition (unless you do the shoes on the bike thing already)

Enjoy it man. You are gonna have a blast.

2012-04-27 11:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Quincy - How did your "Running Lactose Tolerance Heart Rate" test go?? Hope you did great!

Shelly - I am going to do the West Point Lake Sprint in Lagrange, GA. I was able to get my hands on a wetsuit, so I think I'm good to go. My husband is going to do it too, and since he is Indian, and not quite so hardy as a viking, I told him if I find him like this coming out of the swim...

I will simply step over him and keep going!!

2012-04-27 12:32 PM
in reply to: #4176894

User image

Expert
Hammond
Sarah73 - 2012-04-27 11:44 AM

Quincy - How did your "Running Lactose Tolerance Heart Rate" test go?? Hope you did great!

Shelly - I am going to do the West Point Lake Sprint in Lagrange, GA. I was able to get my hands on a wetsuit, so I think I'm good to go. My husband is going to do it too, and since he is Indian, and not quite so hardy as a viking, I told him if I find him like this coming out of the swim...

Ok I am laughing so hard that I just might have peed my pants- hehe. Not really but it sure came close on this one.

I thought that might be the one you were doing. The lake temp today is 72 degrees which actually would be fine with or without a wetsuit. So you really should be fine either way. If you haven't ever used a wetsuit before I'd recommend trying to get a practice in wearing it. My friend totally panicked and literally pulled it off in the lake half way through her swim. It was an interesting sight and really killed her swim times-lol. I haven't ever used one so can't speak from experience- just what happened to my friend and what I've read.

Have a great time and don't forget to post a race report.

Shelly

2012-04-27 12:39 PM
in reply to: #4176894

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Sarah- "Trample the weak and hurtle the dead........ And your husband!" True Viking spirit! Hee hee I'm kidding!

Cant wait to hear how your race turned out with your husband!! Gonna practice putting the wetsuit on and taking it off??

One good tip is to liberally apply body glide to ankle area. It will help you pull it off quicker. You can also use plastic baggies on your feet when putting the suit on. That also helps.

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-04-27 12:41 PM
2012-04-27 12:44 PM
in reply to: #4176994

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
fitmomma2010 - 2012-04-27 12:32 PM

Ok I am laughing so hard that I just might have peed my pants- hehe. Not really but it sure came close on this one.

I thought that might be the one you were doing. The lake temp today is 72 degrees which actually would be fine with or without a wetsuit. So you really should be fine either way. If you haven't ever used a wetsuit before I'd recommend trying to get a practice in wearing it. My friend totally panicked and literally pulled it off in the lake half way through her swim. It was an interesting sight and really killed her swim times-lol. I haven't ever used one so can't speak from experience- just what happened to my friend and what I've read.

Shelly

Shells Peeing in your pants in frowned upon. On the other hand its totally expected that you pee in your wetsuit!!! So maybe read the forum in a wetsuit I'm thinking?
2012-04-27 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4176994

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
fitmomma2010 - 2012-04-27 1:32 PM

Shelly

Shelly- How do you find out about water temps? I think I might go ahead and use the wetsuit, since this is my first open water race, and just having that buoyancy will probably help with the panic!

2012-04-27 1:36 PM
in reply to: #4177008

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
oriolepwr - 2012-04-27 1:39 PM

Sarah- "Trample the weak and hurtle the dead........ And your husband!" True Viking spirit! Hee hee I'm kidding! Cant wait to hear how your race turned out with your husband!! Gonna practice putting the wetsuit on and taking it off?? One good tip is to liberally apply body glide to ankle area. It will help you pull it off quicker. You can also use plastic baggies on your feet when putting the suit on. That also helps.

Spoken like a true viking, Dave!!

Thanks for the tips on the wetsuit, I will try them. I tried it on yesterday at home, and my five year old twins stood in awe watching me try to get it on. Then one of them said "um, mommy, I think you might need a bigger size." I take that as a pretty good indication that it fit just right!

2012-04-27 1:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

OK... a real question!

The website for the race says that they will be starting the swim in a wave start. Is that kind of like the corral system for large marathons/races? How do I decide where/when to start? I don't know what my open water swim for 600 yards is...should I just give them my pool time, or should I try to convert it myself? Is there a correlation between pool and open water times? I'm assuming I am going to be quite a bit slower in the lake, but I really have no idea how it will compare.

2012-04-27 5:36 PM
in reply to: #4173498

User image

I agree with Dave on marathon training.  I tried running everyday, but ran into knee issues, so just started cross training during the week and doing the long runs on the weekend....worked just fine.
2012-04-27 5:38 PM
in reply to: #4176778

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Lesandtj - 2012-04-27 10:58 AM

Tom, 

I agree you should show up early, hang out, meet a few folks, and allow yourself time to calm a bit.

I was amazed at the rookie mistakes I made when my mind was running on adrenalin. ie: put my helmet on before my shirt, mounted my bike at the rack, never accounted for jello legs entering T2, etc.)  But looking back I remember how much fun it was anyway. Don't worry about those issues, just be prepared to have a few. That is part of the fun.

Your nutrition sounds fine, but I would caution not to add something that you haven't tried prior to a workout. I prefer water on the run, but do what works for you. 

PS:     - bring a 5 gal bucket to sit on in transition (unless you do the shoes on the bike thing already)

Enjoy it man. You are gonna have a blast.

Whenever the bucket in transition topic comes up (very controversial...Wink) I always think of this movie:

2012-04-27 5:40 PM
in reply to: #4177134

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Sarah73 - 2012-04-27 1:43 PM

OK... a real question!

The website for the race says that they will be starting the swim in a wave start. Is that kind of like the corral system for large marathons/races? How do I decide where/when to start? I don't know what my open water swim for 600 yards is...should I just give them my pool time, or should I try to convert it myself? Is there a correlation between pool and open water times? I'm assuming I am going to be quite a bit slower in the lake, but I really have no idea how it will compare.

Each race is different, but in Tri, a wave start usually  means your age group. Sometimes it's your age group + another age group or your age group split up (depending on the tri). Some races even just do it by bib number. Somewhere on the website they should have it broken down for you...

The only time you need an estimated swim time is in a pool tri...

So I am guessing that somewhere you can find out that w35-39 is starting at 7:12 or something like that...

2012-04-27 5:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Missoula

Dang, I brought up a controversial subject? This one was not even on purpose. Smile

Guess i have some thread reading homework to do. 

Good luck Sarah and Tom. Hammer it out. 

Oh and Quincy, "It's only wafer thin!"

Edited by Lesandtj 2012-04-27 5:52 PM

2012-04-27 6:03 PM
in reply to: #4177134

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Sarah73 - 2012-04-27 1:43 PM

OK... a real question!

Most Triathlon's are done in a wave start. Usually this is done via age group divisions. Yes in a way its like the corral system in a running race. The difference "typically" is that these corrals are separated with a bit more time gap between "waves" or corrals. like 2minutes or so. Also "typically" the waves are via M/F age groups. so you start with other women your age. In a popular event, they could start multiple waves of the same age group and seed them by swim time. Or even scrap the age group wave and make it a swim speed wave.

Yea that swim time question can throw you a bit. Just give them your pool time. roughly for 600 yards. time is similar as you can't push off on the end of each length of the pool as you are not in a pool. BUT you also do not need to turn, and you are drafting in the swim which will make you go faster. Then you have to add in that there is no black line painted at the bottom of the lake to keep you going STRAIGHT! for me add all this together and I end up going about the same speed in open water wearing a wet suit vs. pool swim YMMV

Now as far as where within the wave? again its your preference. I used to like to start near the rear and left as I breathe to my right and could better position/sight with most of the other peeps to my right side. Plus I was avoiding contact. I do it differently now.

Dunno if this answers your question really.

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-04-27 6:09 PM
2012-04-27 6:48 PM
in reply to: #4177523

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Lesandtj - 2012-04-27 5:49 PM

Dang, I brought up a controversial subject? This one was not even on purpose. Smile

Guess i have some thread reading homework to do. 

Good luck Sarah and Tom. Hammer it out. 

Oh and Quincy, "It's only wafer thin!"

Yeah, if you're ever bored and want to get to know the BT "locals" get on tri-talk post about one of the following: flip turns, drafting, M-dot tattoos, Total Immersion, High intensity training for IM, crossfit for triathlon, or Lance Armstrong is A. awesome or B. a doping, cheating, lying scumbag (your pick). Buckets aren't on that A list, but it can get heated at times.

We can talk about nearly any normally controversial topic with barely a ripple, but flip turn threads will go on for 10 pages. It's insane. You're fine with a bucket or a box or whatever, but be super mindful of your space...if it's not too crowded, anything goes, but if it is like a lot of tris around here and you're crammed in like sardines, a bucket isn't particularly practical. 

Personally, I am a minimalist...I don't even have a traditional tri bag...I've managed all the way up to HIM with a tiny backpack...that's not the right way, it's just my way...I find if I have too much crap I get confused and flail in transition...plus I like to be able to ride my bike with all of my stuff from wherever I'm parked/staying. I guess it comes from the first 3 tri's I did which were completely by myself, so I had to figure out how to get me, my bike, and my stuff all to and from transition without any help...

2012-04-27 11:36 PM
in reply to: #4176685

User image

Expert
Hammond

oriolepwr - 2012-04-27 10:30 AM SHELLLEEEEEEEEEE! Just wanted to say that! Every one in a while have to do that! BTW thx for your help with ipad for,atting thing. Works great now!

Well I feel super special when you do that. I'm not like that Tom character, whoever he is, saying he ain't feelin the love- hehe.

And you are very welcome. It was driving me crazy too. I was posting with dashes and all sorts of crazy stuff just to make it format halfway decent, and then one day reading some other post it was mentioned kind of as an aside in the posters message. They were just making a comment about having to switch back and forth when they got on their iPad and the light bulb went off. I felt like I won the lottery when I figured it out. Doesn't take much to make me happy as you can tell.

Shelly

2012-04-27 11:58 PM
in reply to: #4177110

User image

Expert
Hammond
Sarah73 - 2012-04-27 1:33 PM
fitmomma2010 - 2012-04-27 1:32 PM
Sarah73 - 2012-04-27 11:44

Shelly- How do you find out about water temps? I think I might go ahead and use the wetsuit, since this is my first open water race, and just having that buoyancy will probably help with the panic!

Sarah,

Usually you can just google the lake name and there will be links to the corp of engineers sites for that lake or a community website for the lake, etc. My dad and grandpa have been fishers all my life and water temps were always being discussed and checked. I googled West Point Lake and actually found one site that said today's temp was 70 degrees but it didn't seem very authentic- it was a fishing site not an official site for the lake. So I did a little more searching and there was an official site with a number that you could call to get information. I called and the lady said 72 today and probably slightly warmer for the weekend.

I had to do the same thing for my first tri because it was debatable if I would need a wetsuit or not. I actually looked up the previous year's temps for the lake and temperature trends to make my decision.

hth,

Shelly

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  

of 51