BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 Mentor Group 2013 (Year 3!) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 122

2012-12-26 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4542521

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 Mentor Group 2013 (Year 3!) - CLOSED
When do you get hives Christy? My friend gets terrible hives while training during the summer. It's got to be some combo with the heat/humidity, duration of workout, and then maybe triggered by a certain food. I've on rare occasion finished a long workout over the summer and had hives on my thighs where my tri shorts end. Not anything like her though. She can't plan any long distance races if it's going to be super hot and humid.

2012-12-26 1:04 PM
in reply to: #4548438

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
rizer22 - 2012-12-26 12:27 PM

So I'm sort of trying out the Whole30 for the next couple days, to get my mind ready for the real thing next week.  I'm not sure what to do about no dairy, brown rice, greek yogurt etc.  So far today:

Breakfast: 2 Egg Whites, 1 Whole Egg (I need a little flavor), mushrooms, green pepper and 1/2 an avocado.

Snack: Banana

Lunch: Spinach salad with broccoli, snap peas (i believe that's the only legume you can eat on this plan) and carrots, and small amount of vinagrette dressing, which I think is illegal on the plan.

Snack: handful of almonds

Dinner:  No clue yet, but def some sort of protein.

All this does not give me a ton of calories for the day, so I'll need to tweak this as I move along.

Anyone have any recipes, tips, suggestions to help with this?   

If you're going to eat eggs, you need to eat whole eggs.  All the good stuff is in the yolk, in particular choline. 

2012-12-26 1:04 PM

Regular
Calhoun, GA
I have been dealing with the hives continuously for 6 months straight.  There is no rhyme or reason to them.  I have kept a journal and have noticed 3 tendencies - they are caffeine, sugar, and processed foods.  I have been working to cut all of these out.  I am going on Jan 10 to an immunologist to have what is called CU index testing because apparently people with thyroid autoimmune issues can develop what is know as Chronic Autoimmune Urticara which means I am allergic to myself.  It can be treated, but I will have to deal with it lifelong.   I just want to get on a regimen to control them beacuse when I have the angioedema of the face I am not allowed to do any strenuous exercise.  It can be so frustrating......Yell
2012-12-26 1:06 PM
in reply to: #4548506

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

clgswisher - 2012-12-26 1:10 PM I am thinking about it.  I have an autoimmune disease that includes hives.  It seems sugar and processed foods tend to make me react more and I have been cutting them out slowly, maybe this will be the final push over the edge that I need.  I have checked out the website, but was wondering if there is an actual shopping list I could follow...... It sounds interesting.

I have a friend (who did IMLP in 2011 and IMAZ in 2012) who has serious issues with sugar and processed foods and would break out into major rashes (it was really bad because she was a baker).  She had to really work to overall her race day nutrition.

2012-12-26 1:08 PM
in reply to: #4548535

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
karen26.2 - 2012-12-26 1:34 PM

I just counted the greek yogurt in my fridge - there are 7 containers. I better get moving on them, only 6 days left of 2012.

Shopping list - I think I did find one, I'll see if I can pull it up again. I try to make it so difficult, but it really is pretty basic. Look at labels, don't assume just because it sounds healthy that it is.

I also have a couple of boxes of ProBars (darn you Kelly!) that I'm going to have to either freeze, or assume I'll start adding them when the 100 days (or perhaps 30?) are up.

Lara bars should be ok right?  Only a few ingredients, usually just dates and nuts. Not the PB one of course since peanuts are not allowed!

I use Pro Bars (and coconut water) during long bikes instead of gels or sports drink for right now.  They're my "curve."  While they may not be perfect, they're a lot better than traditional gels / sportsdrink. 

2012-12-26 1:11 PM
in reply to: #4548517

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
jarvy01 - 2012-12-26 1:21 PM
rizer22 - 2012-12-26 1:09 PM
clgswisher - 2012-12-26 12:53 PM

All this talk about the Whole30 - is there a book with recipes, shopping list etc.  I am confused.....

It Starts With Food and www.whole9life.com.

I just downlowaded the book, and will start reading tonight.  I am curious, more so than being toned, if this is going to help with some medical issues I have.  Not injuries, but my chronic sinus issues.

There is some really good looking peanut butter/choc fudge at work here.  "Stop calling my name damn it"

I don't even know how you're able to start right now with all of the goodies around!!!  You can always add more oil to puff up your calorie total.  The extra fat may help you feel full.    

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the no dairy thing, too.  I love Greek yogurt (drink almond milk), and I have a hard time believing that it's bad for me to consume it.  You know?  I see a gatro guy next week, and I'm certain dietary changes are going to happen no matter what.  I figured eating fruit, veggies, and protein while eliminating grains was a good place to start.  

I've found the biggest results come from eliminating grains, sugar, articficial sweetners and precessed foods. 

I don't any food is necessarily "bad" -- its just that certain foods are over consumed at the wrong time and in HUGE quantities.  The problem with not going all in, is that by making exceptions, the exceptions can serve to swallow the rule and defeat the purpose of trying to change your diet. 

2012-12-26 1:23 PM
in reply to: #4547891

User image

Regular
rizer22 - 2012-12-25 10:28 PM Karen, giving up beer. I'm impressed!!!! I know how much you love your beer.

+1.  That's hard core.  I think that'd be one of the very last things to go for me.  

2012-12-26 1:35 PM

User image

Regular

2013 Goals:

(1) Avoid injury by forcing myself to ramp up training gradually, especially in the run.  

(2) Finish my first ever triathlon - Olympic distance, May 5, Charlottesville, VA!    

(3) Do three or four other Olympic distance races to build up stamina for something longer during 2014.  I'll set time goals for these based on how long it takes me to do the first one.

(4) See Goal #1.   

2012-12-26 2:03 PM
in reply to: #4548576

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
kaburns1214 - 2012-12-26 1:04 PM
rizer22 - 2012-12-26 12:27 PM

So I'm sort of trying out the Whole30 for the next couple days, to get my mind ready for the real thing next week.  I'm not sure what to do about no dairy, brown rice, greek yogurt etc.  So far today:

Breakfast: 2 Egg Whites, 1 Whole Egg (I need a little flavor), mushrooms, green pepper and 1/2 an avocado.

Snack: Banana

Lunch: Spinach salad with broccoli, snap peas (i believe that's the only legume you can eat on this plan) and carrots, and small amount of vinagrette dressing, which I think is illegal on the plan.

Snack: handful of almonds

Dinner:  No clue yet, but def some sort of protein.

All this does not give me a ton of calories for the day, so I'll need to tweak this as I move along.

Anyone have any recipes, tips, suggestions to help with this?   

If you're going to eat eggs, you need to eat whole eggs.  All the good stuff is in the yolk, in particular choline. 

Whole eggs for sure!  And you need more carbs in the form of sweet potatoes, squash like butternut, acorn, spaghetti, pumpkin.  There is a guy on the Whole9 Forum who's tag is Fenderbender.  He eats a ton of fat.  Claims he uses 1/3 of a can of coconut milk in his coffee.  And because he eats a lot of fat, his body is a fat burning machine.  Most people have to wrap their mind around it because we've been taught to avoid fat.

The no dairy, grains, sugar for 30 days is to allow your body to "detox" and start healing.  You can add them back in after 30 days, not all at once but in increments.  This allows you to determine what might be making you have stomach problems or have allergies or whatever.

2012-12-26 2:13 PM
in reply to: #4548535

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
karen26.2 - 2012-12-26 12:34 PM

I just counted the greek yogurt in my fridge - there are 7 containers. I better get moving on them, only 6 days left of 2012.

Shopping list - I think I did find one, I'll see if I can pull it up again. I try to make it so difficult, but it really is pretty basic. Look at labels, don't assume just because it sounds healthy that it is.

I also have a couple of boxes of ProBars (darn you Kelly!) that I'm going to have to either freeze, or assume I'll start adding them when the 100 days (or perhaps 30?) are up.

Lara bars should be ok right?  Only a few ingredients, usually just dates and nuts. Not the PB one of course since peanuts are not allowed!

Yes, the date and nut Lara bars are ok, but I stopped buying them when someone mentioned making their own.  I looked up Paleo bars and now make my own.  They consist of dates, dried apricots, almonds (you can use other nuts), and coconut.  I also add some cocoa nibs.  They take like 10 minutes to make.  Put nuts with a little sea salt in a food processor and chop up.  Dump into bowl.  Put dates and other dried fruit (cause you can use something other than apricots) and chop until it starts becoming a ball.  Dump into nuts.  Add the coconut if you want.  Mix together and press into a pan.  Yummy!

Make your own mayonnaise too!  It is easy and you can flavor however you want.  I like Chipotle mayo!  You can eat it on anything. It can be used to make your own dressings as well.

Edited by luv2bhealthy 2012-12-26 2:14 PM
2012-12-26 2:33 PM
in reply to: #4548226

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
kaburns1214 - 2012-12-26 10:26 AM
kort-kort - 2012-12-26 10:10 AM

My goals for 2013:

1. I'd like to do a sub-3 hour Oly. 

2. Be consistent with training and tracking workouts in the log.

3.  Clean up my diet and lose about 15 pounds. 

I don't know a lot about the Whole30 program. I checked out that website. But I don't really like meat very much, so I'm not sure I'd be left with much to eat. But I like the idea of getting rid of the processed junk and the sugar. Anyone in this group vegetarian or vegan?  

Not Whole30 but 2 book I really like about getting rid of processed foods and sugar are:

The Science of Skinny (this one has vegetarian meal plans)

Why We Get Fat (Gary Taubes is the man at explaining how sugar (and not fat) makes us fat)

Thanks Kelly, I will check those out. I am all about putting healthier foods in me at least.

2012-12-26 2:44 PM
in reply to: #4548633

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Kuma - 2012-12-26 2:35 PM

2013 Goals:

(1) Avoid injury by forcing myself to ramp up training gradually, especially in the run.  

(2) Finish my first ever triathlon - Olympic distance, May 5, Charlottesville, VA!    

(3) Do three or four other Olympic distance races to build up stamina for something longer during 2014.  I'll set time goals for these based on how long it takes me to do the first one.

(4) See Goal #1.   

So exciting!!!!!!!

2012-12-26 2:46 PM
in reply to: #4548672

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
luv2bhealthy - 2012-12-26 3:13 PM

Yes, the date and nut Lara bars are ok, but I stopped buying them when someone mentioned making their own.  I looked up Paleo bars and now make my own.  They consist of dates, dried apricots, almonds (you can use other nuts), and coconut.  I also add some cocoa nibs.  They take like 10 minutes to make.  Put nuts with a little sea salt in a food processor and chop up.  Dump into bowl.  Put dates and other dried fruit (cause you can use something other than apricots) and chop until it starts becoming a ball.  Dump into nuts.  Add the coconut if you want.  Mix together and press into a pan.  Yummy!

Make your own mayonnaise too!  It is easy and you can flavor however you want.  I like Chipotle mayo!  You can eat it on anything. It can be used to make your own dressings as well.

Recipes?

2012-12-26 3:06 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

So if the 30 days is to detox, you really shouldn't "cheat" regardless of how small it is.  I certainly can get by for 30 days without dairy, grains and sugar.  I'm going all in!  At least January should be a low volume training month.

Thanks for the lara bar recipe.  I've seen people talk about making them, but never got around to trying to figure it out.

2012-12-26 3:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
2012-12-26 3:30 PM
in reply to: #4548727

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
kaburns1214 - 2012-12-26 2:46 PM

Recipes?

This is from Tom Denham's (one of the moderators of Whole9) blog Whole Life Eating - so it's him speaking in the recipe!

Ancho Chili Mayonnaise (almost 1 and 1/2 cups)

I mixed tuna, beets, and onion to make a quick tuna salad before remembering there was no mayonnaise in the refrigerator, so I made more. Making mayonnaise is incredibly easy. I did not believe that until Melissa Joulwan talked me into trying it the first time, but nowadays I can make a batch of mayo in 5 minutes. Basic mayonnaise, as taught by Melissa, calls for 1/2 teaspoon of dry mustard. Basic is good, but other options can be wonderful. In this case, I substituted Ancho Chili Powder for dry mustard to make Ancho Chili Mayonnaise. This mayonnaise is big on flavor without overwhelming.

Ingredients:

1 egg
1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder or chipotle chili powder or whatever you like
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 cups olive oil (light, not extra virgin)

Directions:

Place the egg, ancho chili powder, salt, apple cider vinegar, and 1/4 cup of olive oil in a food processor and whirl until well mixed – 20 to 30 seconds. You can mix by hand in a bowl with a whisk like Julia Childs did in the old days, but that is a lot of work. Now here comes the important part: Drizzle in the last cup of olive oil very, very slowly while you keep running the food processor – as in, about 2 minutes to drizzle in one cup of oil. Don’t get in a hurry and dump a lot of oil in at once or the mixture can collapse and stop looking like mayonnaise. IF your mayo collapses, not all is lost. Put the mixture in the refrigerator for a few hours and then stir it vigorously. Such “failed” mayo doesn’t look as pretty, but it still tastes good and works fine in tuna salad. Once you are done, transfer your mayo to an air-tight container, and store in the refrigerator until needed. Homemade mayo should be good for several weeks (if it lasts that long).

Melissa Joulwan warns of the importance of starting with all ingredients at room temperature. I have had success using a cold egg, but am mixing with apple cider vinegar and not lemon juice like Melissa. That difference might make a difference.

Edited by luv2bhealthy 2012-12-26 3:44 PM

2012-12-26 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4548754

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
karen26.2 - 2012-12-26 3:06 PM

So if the 30 days is to detox, you really shouldn't "cheat" regardless of how small it is.  I certainly can get by for 30 days without dairy, grains and sugar.  I'm going all in!  At least January should be a low volume training month.

Thanks for the lara bar recipe.  I've seen people talk about making them, but never got around to trying to figure it out.

Yes, according to the book, if you are having health issues, it is tied to the foods we eat.  Hence the title of their book, "It Starts With Food."  So, if you can do at least 30 days only eating meat, eggs, veggies including sweet potatoes and other winter squash, some fruit, and health fats especially coconut milk and avocado, then you rid your body of the things that are most likely causing you a problem.   And don't skimp on the fat!  Or how much you want to eat.  There is no counting calories or measuring portions.  Just eat!

I won't say it's not hard.  For me, the biggest problem is sugar and especially at night.  I have my cravings then.  Sometimes I just had to go to bed to avoid it.  But I will tell you that you will start noticing changes - to your skin, nails, body, sleep.  I only made it to Day 23 but it was really exciting.  So much of the little kid comes out in me when I want sugar.  But I have to be an adult and just refuse to give in.

Edited by luv2bhealthy 2012-12-26 3:42 PM
2012-12-26 4:05 PM
in reply to: #4548727

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
kaburns1214 - 2012-12-26 2:46 PM

Recipes?

This is from theclothesmakethegirl blog.

Southwestern Cumin-Lime Dressing
Makes enough for two side salads or one entree-sized salad; easily doubled or tripled, but tastes best when made fresh.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons homemade mayo
1-2 teaspoons lime juice
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
a few jalapeno rings, finely minced (optional)
salt & pepper, to taste

Directions:
1. Place mayo in a small bowl. Add cumin, garlic, and jalapenos, if using; blend well with a fork.

2. Mix in 1 teaspoon of the lime juice, then taste and season with salt and pepper. If your dressing is too thick, add either a little more lime juice or water – a 1/4 teaspoon at a time – until it’s the right consistency. Keep in mind that it will get slightly more liquidy as you toss it with ingredients.

3. Let the flavors meld for about 10 minutes before consuming.

Now, what to do with this magic elixir?

• Cook ground beef with a little cumin and chili powder, then drizzle with cumin-lime dressing.
  • Use the dressing as a dip for red pepper strips, cucumber slices, tomato wedges, and matchsticks of jicama.
  • Blend with an avocado to make extra-creamy guacamole.
  • Use in tuna or egg salad instead of plain mayo.
  • Place on a spoon; eat. (I’m only halfway kidding.)
  • Drizzle over a freshly-grilled burger or steak.
  • Toss with cold steamed shrimp, cubed avocado, and tomato.
  • And yes, this is really great on a regular ol’ lettuce salad, too.

Creamy Italian Dressing
Makes enough for two side salads or one entree-sized salad

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons homemade mayo
1 tablespoon vinegar: balsamic, wine, or cider (I like pomegranate balsamic!)
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/8 teaspoon Italian herb blend (or pick one: dried oregano, rosemary, or basil)
salt & pepper, to taste

Directions:
1. Crush the dried herbs with your fingers, then add to mayo, along with garlic. Blend well with a fork.

2. Mix in the vinegar, then taste and season with salt and pepper. If your dressing is too thick, add either vinegar or water – a 1/4 teaspoon at a time – until it’s the right consistency. Keep in mind that it will get slightly more liquidy as you toss it with your salad ingredients.

NOTE: I’ve given instructions for making the dressing “to order.” I don’t recommend making a big batch in advance because I think the texture will suffer. Plus, it really takes no time at all to blend together. Your tastebuds will thank you.

2012-12-26 4:10 PM
in reply to: #4548672

User image

Extreme Veteran

Can you list quantities of each ingredient? Thx!
2012-12-26 4:13 PM
in reply to: #4548593

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
kaburns1214 - 2012-12-26 1:11 PM
jarvy01 - 2012-12-26 1:21 PM
rizer22 - 2012-12-26 1:09 PM
clgswisher - 2012-12-26 12:53 PM

All this talk about the Whole30 - is there a book with recipes, shopping list etc.  I am confused.....

It Starts With Food and www.whole9life.com.

I just downlowaded the book, and will start reading tonight.  I am curious, more so than being toned, if this is going to help with some medical issues I have.  Not injuries, but my chronic sinus issues.

There is some really good looking peanut butter/choc fudge at work here.  "Stop calling my name damn it"

I don't even know how you're able to start right now with all of the goodies around!!!  You can always add more oil to puff up your calorie total.  The extra fat may help you feel full.    

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the no dairy thing, too.  I love Greek yogurt (drink almond milk), and I have a hard time believing that it's bad for me to consume it.  You know?  I see a gatro guy next week, and I'm certain dietary changes are going to happen no matter what.  I figured eating fruit, veggies, and protein while eliminating grains was a good place to start.  

I've found the biggest results come from eliminating grains, sugar, articficial sweetners and precessed foods. 

I don't any food is necessarily "bad" -- its just that certain foods are over consumed at the wrong time and in HUGE quantities.  The problem with not going all in, is that by making exceptions, the exceptions can serve to swallow the rule and defeat the purpose of trying to change your diet. 

Very interesting and important reads!

http://whole9life.com/2010/11/eating-dirty-1/

http://whole9life.com/2010/11/the-whole9-guide-to-eating-dirty-part-ii/

2012-12-26 4:20 PM
in reply to: #4548842

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
DDVMM - 2012-12-26 4:10 PM

Can you list quantities of each ingredient? Thx!

1 1/2 c. of raw nuts

1/4 tsp. sea salt

12 dates

1 c. dried apricots/dried cherries (or dried fruit of your choice just no sugar added)

1/2 c. unsweetened coconut (if you want to add)

Once I got a basic recipe I started changing it up to try different flavors.  It is satisfying to know that I've done it myself.  And they are really yummy.

2012-12-26 7:01 PM

Regular
Calhoun, GA

Okay I have had a chance to look over the website for Whole30 - 

Are sweet potatoes okay?   What about almond butter? 

Anyone willing to share recipes or meal plan for a week?  I need all the help I can get.

Is it necessary to have the shopping guide, etc..??

Gonna spend the rest of this week getting geared up for the training and the eating plans.... excited!!!!!

2012-12-26 7:11 PM

User image

Hi everyone! Hope holidays have been great.  My family and I took a red eye back from Alaska (my sister lives there)....I am trying to load a picture of her snow bikes!! Very fun
2012-12-26 7:15 PM
in reply to: #4547999

User image

kaburns1214 - 2012-12-26 6:24 AM
uhcoog - 2012-12-25 9:00 PM

My goals for this year:

1. Fix my swimming issues.

2. Tinker with my diet and get back to eating clean all the time.

2a. Get into the 150s

3. Beat Kelly at Texas 70.3  Cool

4. Put up a respectable time at IMTX.

5. Continuing inching closer to podiums on a regular basis.

For those who are new to the group.  Scott and I have a little bet going with regard to the Texas 70.3 in Galveston in April.  Based on physical ability Scott should beat me, however, I think I may be able to race just a little bit smarter and see what happens. 

Good luck to both of you! we will be watching

2012-12-26 7:51 PM

User image

Expert
So this Whole30 discussion we are having, prompted me to reach out to Whole30. The focus of One of the non profits I am involved with, is fitness, wellness and nutrition, incorporated with youth sports, to our surrounding communities, with a large focus on underprivileged children. We have received a $2,000 grant from the local savings bank with the requirement being we offer nutrition education to adults. A couple questions:
A Whole30 Seminar, is a one day, 9am to 5pm program, with one hour lunch break, and costs $100 per person. A 40 person minimum is required, costing $4,000 for the seminar. After the grant, our balance would be $2,000. So my questions are:
1. Would you pay $50 (1/2 off the full price) to attend this?
2. Do you feel this would be a solid program to offer to the public?
3. Do you feel enough people would actually register for this at that price point?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 Mentor Group 2013 (Year 3!) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 122