BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 119

2012-12-26 12:00 PM
in reply to: #4546420

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Opened
michgirlsk - 2012-12-23 9:45 PM
jenbmosley - 2012-12-23 2:39 PM

Samantha - You may have already shared about your "injury waiting to happen" with the group previously, but I am very curious to know what phappened and why was it waiting to happen? Feel free to send me a meesage directly or share with the group again....

Sure!  I don't mind.  But, as a warning, it will be long.  The short version..... in retrospect, I believe it started with a continued altered gait for months while running which basically led to my hip bones being misaligned, which then led to the muscles associated with the hip muscles (and there are a lot of them) getting all whacked out, pulling on each other, etc, which then led to my hamstring essentially "popping" during my race......

Samantha - Thank you for sharing your experience, or better yet, your on going experience. I can only speak for myself, but hindsight is 20-20. During my competitive snowboarding years I suffered several concussions, only I didn't realize some of them were concussions till later on. Then, I separated my shoulder one season and refused to go to a doctor for weeks. Here's another thing... I broke my wrist and waited two days to go to the doctor cause I was trying to play down the pain- When I finally went to the doctor I ended up in a cast for almost 20 weeks.

Sounds like Dirk was an excellent mentor in recognizing that your pain was more than a minor ache due to training. I think you are pretty amazing to have kept pushing through the discomfort and pain.

2012-12-26 12:06 PM
in reply to: #4548304

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed

strikyr - 2012-12-26 11:12 AM

Hope everyone had a great Christmas, man all I can say is I ate way too much but thankfully I did not do too much damage. I will be heading to the pool for an hour this afternoon and then another Jorge WCP workout this evening. Should be at the pool now but I just couldn't get myself moving this morning.

Tony- Glad to know that I am not the oly one who ate way too much and almost threw in the towel on getting in a workout this morning. I did eventually hit the gym/stationary bike and pedaled along for 90 minutes. First day back in the saddle after a few weeks and am still tending to a tightened IT band, so I concentrated on riding with less resisteance and tried to maintain an easy 14 mph pace. My stomach decided it was starving 60 minutes into the ride and it wanted nothin but cookies and sweet potato souffle. Glad I was able to push through that craving. I am supposed to hit the weights with my husband this afternoon for a session of back & biceps; we shall see if that happens.

2012-12-26 12:59 PM
in reply to: #4548468

User image

NH

jenbmosley - 2012-12-26 12:44 PM

I entered races to represent my sponsors. After my 4th season I walked away from the sport completely. I don't want that to happen with triathlon. I love the sport right now and want to keep it that way. But, there is still a competitor in me.    

You have the right attitude Jen, and I'd say you can't make a wrong decision here.  I would imagine as you train and progress this won't be your last chance at Nationals.  Having fun in this sport is the key to staying with it.

You also hit on another important topic.  Knowing the difference between pain and injury is so critical to staying healthy, which is so critical to staying in triathlon.  It can become very frustrating to be on the sidelines to due to pushing an injury too far, and as Samantha said it can also lead to more serious issues.  One thing we've been very good at in this group is modifying workouts to compensate for injuries.  Not that ALL injuries can be worked around, some simply require rest and healing.  But Jeff especially is the master at modifying a swim/bike/run while you have a niggle.

2012-12-26 1:02 PM
in reply to: #4547792

User image

NH

mambos - 2012-12-25 7:47 PM Quick check in to wish all the junkies a merry Christmas! I hope the time was spent with family and loved ones! I finished all my gatherings early and was able to get a 7 mile run in,

Seriously Matt, you need to back off a bit.  Maybe gain a few pounds and cut your running down to about 15-20 a week.

2012-12-26 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4548572

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
wbayek - 2012-12-26 2:02 PM

mambos - 2012-12-25 7:47 PM Quick check in to wish all the junkies a merry Christmas! I hope the time was spent with family and loved ones! I finished all my gatherings early and was able to get a 7 mile run in,

Seriously Matt, you need to back off a bit.  Maybe gain a few pounds and cut your running down to about 15-20 a week.

I will keep that in mind Warren!  Currently I am eating a well deserved piece of apple pie after a 1hr spin on the bike, and contemplating on how far to run after dinner!  Probably keep it short (4-5 miles) so I will be nice and refreshed for a mid-distance run tomorrow.  One way or another I am going to make it to 40mpw, even if it is just for a few weeks.  I don't think time will allow me to ever meet the challenge Jeff put down last year to reach 50mpw!  At least not until the kids graduate college in 20 years
2012-12-26 2:17 PM
in reply to: #4542598

User image

NH

Matt, 40 mpw for any period of time and you'll hammer it next year.  Are you planning an early year half marathon again?

I have a question for the group about scheduling.  My end of year looks busy and I think manageable, but I wanted to bounce it off everyone and get some opinions.  My current plans look like this:

Bike leg of a HIM relay.  One week later, Aqua bike HIM.  Two weeks later, 70.3.

I'm really thinking that if I were only doing a 70.3, I might do hard 60 mile ride 2 and 3 weeks out so I think this schedule should be no problem, but I wanted to get some opinions.  All three are "important" races, but if pressed I'd list the priority in the order they happen (bike relay is "A+", Aqua is "A", 70.3 is "A-"). 

2012-12-26 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4548682

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
wbayek - 2012-12-26 2:17 PM

Matt, 40 mpw for any period of time and you'll hammer it next year.  Are you planning an early year half marathon again?

I have a question for the group about scheduling.  My end of year looks busy and I think manageable, but I wanted to bounce it off everyone and get some opinions.  My current plans look like this:

Bike leg of a HIM relay.  One week later, Aqua bike HIM.  Two weeks later, 70.3.

I'm really thinking that if I were only doing a 70.3, I might do hard 60 mile ride 2 and 3 weeks out so I think this schedule should be no problem, but I wanted to get some opinions.  All three are "important" races, but if pressed I'd list the priority in the order they happen (bike relay is "A+", Aqua is "A", 70.3 is "A-"). 

Are you planning on really peaking for one or more of these? If you peak and taper for the first one you are going to lose some fitness by the 70.3 for sure. You may want to consider trying to make the 70.3 a "B" race and focus on crushing your first two events.

2012-12-26 4:21 PM

User image

Bronze member

You know you're a Junkie when.......

You make your kids wait to open their stockings until your finished with your bike & run .

Hope everyone had a great holiday!

2012-12-26 6:16 PM
in reply to: #4548499

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
jenbmosley - 2012-12-26 1:06 PM

strikyr - 2012-12-26 11:12 AM

Hope everyone had a great Christmas, man all I can say is I ate way too much but thankfully I did not do too much damage. I will be heading to the pool for an hour this afternoon and then another Jorge WCP workout this evening. Should be at the pool now but I just couldn't get myself moving this morning.

Tony- Glad to know that I am not the oly one who ate way too much and almost threw in the towel on getting in a workout this morning. I did eventually hit the gym/stationary bike and pedaled along for 90 minutes. First day back in the saddle after a few weeks and am still tending to a tightened IT band, so I concentrated on riding with less resisteance and tried to maintain an easy 14 mph pace. My stomach decided it was starving 60 minutes into the ride and it wanted nothin but cookies and sweet potato souffle. Glad I was able to push through that craving. I am supposed to hit the weights with my husband this afternoon for a session of back & biceps; we shall see if that happens.

Jen glad to see you got your workout in. I did in fact swim this afternoon even though I was not very motivated to do so and it was not long or my best session but I got it in there. I also got my bike workout in as well. I will say that this workout was especially tough tonight. I knew I was a little tired going into it but man those 4x10's are HARD! I was in a world of hurt when I finished tonight. At least I am making progress however progress can be very painful.

2012-12-26 6:50 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
wbayek - 2012-12-26 3:17 PM

Warren seems like it is doable to me. For the relay you are only doing the bike so that's almost like a hard training ride. The auqa/bike could sort of be the same like a long brick training session without the run. That gives you two weeks to recoup for the HIM so I think you'd be fine. I think David makes a good point though about when you peak and for what races. If you want to kill the first two races and peak for those you may want to lower expectations for the HIM but I don't think you should have any problem doing them all in that span of time.

2012-12-27 12:19 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
OMG!!!!  I'm soooo behind!  I'll catch up soon.  I had a barfing munchkin on my hands today.  He seems to be doing better now.  Whew!

2012-12-27 7:26 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I think given that these races are going to be felt on the bike more than the swim provides for a easily attainable schedule. If you are planning to nail the bikes in the first two events you may need to take a day or two off, but then given the nature of cycling you'd be able to get right back into a modified training regimen. I think it would be a fairly easy race schedule to maintain.I would say go for it!
2012-12-27 7:37 AM
in reply to: #4548980

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
strikyr - 2012-12-26 7:16 PMstrikyr - 2012-12-26 11:12 AM

Jen glad to see you got your workout in. I did in fact swim this afternoon even though I was not very motivated to do so and it was not long or my best session but I got it in there. I also got my bike workout in as well. I will say that this workout was especially tough tonight. I knew I was a little tired going into it but man those 4x10's are HARD! I was in a world of hurt when I finished tonight. At least I am making progress however progress can be very painful.

4x10's? You ain't seen nothin yet! There are some 18' intervals to throw in there late in the program that will make you feel like you are going to fall off the bike.
2012-12-27 7:41 AM

User image

Bronze member

I'm thinking about trying a longer ride on my trainer tomorrow. Can I jump from 1:15 min as my longer ride to 2 hours or is that too much? I do lots of 2 hour rides outside when the weather is nice, just never that long on the trainer.

And what should the focus of a ride of this length on the trainer be?

I've got a short swim followed by a 2 mile treadmill run on tap for today.

Also wondering if someone can stop by my blog and see how I'm doing progressing to 6 days a week running - mainly that I'm not adding mileage too quickly. I'm planning 6 runs for this week if I can stay motivated. I have a hard time with all of these short runs as they just remind me of what a struggle running is for me. Running 3 days a week I get a little mental break.

And maybe now that I type it all out it is not the best idea to add a 2 hour ride while I'm trying to progress to 6 days a week running and I'm always on the verge of hurting myself.......

Welcome some input .

2012-12-27 7:43 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
On the topic of hard bike WO's I have had to dial my efforts back a littel bit. Over the past several weeks I have been really trying to nail some hard ones. These hard interval WO's have caused a flare up of my exercise induced asthma that developed a tighness in my chest in the hours following the ride. While I'm riding I suffer no problems and I can keep up with whatever session I chose, but after is when I pay. I have backed it down for a week or so and can tell a difference in my breathing patterns already. I'll probably give it another week and start dialing one WO at 100% or more for short intervals (5-10 minutes) not more than once a week and see how that effects me. On the topic of swimming: I am not likely to get a video of my swim this week as I had planned. Laiken is feeling like trash and she is NOT going to feel like getting into the pool with me. I had really wanted to get her to go with me to the pool so we could share another swim like we used to do every year when she was in high school but those days seem to be getting further and further away. She brought her swim gear with her but she developed a cold and has been pretty miserable for the past few days. Some of my most memorable swims have been with her over the 4 years or so because we had been able to share an interest. I'll really miss those WO's together in the coming years!

Edited by DirkP 2012-12-27 7:44 AM
2012-12-27 7:59 AM
in reply to: #4549429

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
trigal38 - 2012-12-27 8:41 AM

I'm thinking about trying a longer ride on my trainer tomorrow. Can I jump from 1:15 min as my longer ride to 2 hours or is that too much? I do lots of 2 hour rides outside when the weather is nice, just never that long on the trainer.

Also wondering if someone can stop by my blog and see how I'm doing progressing to 6 days a week running - mainly that I'm not adding mileage too quickly. I'm planning 6 runs for this week if I can stay motivated. I have a hard time with all of these short runs as they just remind me of what a struggle running is for me. Running 3 days a week I get a little mental break.

And maybe now that I type it all out it is not the best idea to add a 2 hour ride while I'm trying to progress to 6 days a week running and I'm always on the verge of hurting myself.......

Welcome some input .

To pick up a extra 45 minutes on the riding shouldn't be a particularly bad thing other than on your seat (so to speak). You would need to dial the effort back slightly but it is definitely doable. here is a copy of my current long rides. It is a 2 hour ride but it is fairly brutal, especially the last 20 minutes. (i hope the format comes out correctly. I'm posting from my daughters iPad and it doesn't seem to format like I would like to see.) I wold suggest that you dial the effort back a little more than I have my WO dialed to just to allow some adaptation. MAybe make it a 75%-85% and see how you feel afterward. Make sure you have a few calories close by to make up for the added time in the saddle.WU: 10' @ 68-73% MS: 40' @ 85%+ 40' @ 90%+ 20' @ 95% CD: 10' @68-73%For your current running: I think things look pretty good. But you didn't indicate how your foot feels. It appears you are headed in the right direction by the slow progression in mileage. I would also say that adding a 2 hour ride shouldn't effect your running much. You may not want to add a long run following the ride and you might experience a little bit of muscular soreness but I doubt you would have many problems adapting to the long ride.

Edited by DirkP 2012-12-27 8:00 AM

2012-12-27 8:09 AM

User image

Bronze member

Thanks Dirk, my foot - the cyst is swelling again but is not causing me any pain. My back is ticked after a ride on my tri bike followed by trail run I did earlier this week but still much better than last year.

Hope your daughter feels better soon! Your family has had a lot of illnesses to deal with this year.

And take it easy on the bike. I'm not too sure if I want to try one of your rides if it's so bad it's firing up your asthma. Wink

2012-12-27 8:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

I am hoping to do a half somewhere around April! I like having the HM to start the season and to keep me motivated

I think you can do all 3 races and perform well. I say push hard for the 1st 2 races, especially since you will be defending your title in the relay. The last race I don't think you need to worry about time, just finishing. It will be no big deal if you target a 7hr finish for the HIM!
2012-12-27 9:49 AM
in reply to: #4549426

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
DirkP - 2012-12-27 8:37 AM
strikyr - 2012-12-26 7:16 PMstrikyr - 2012-12-26 11:12 AM

4x10's? You ain't seen nothin yet! There are some 18' intervals to throw in there late in the program that will make you feel like you are going to fall off the bike.

Dirk thanks for totally crushing my morale and me having false hope in that I will finish the program LOL! I should thank you for warning me about the 18's and I can't say I am looking forward to it however if I do finish I think I will have to thank Jorge. The program is not easy but I have no doubt it is going to make me a stronger cyclist this season.

2012-12-27 9:58 AM
in reply to: #4549456

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
DirkP - 2012-12-27 8:59 AM
trigal38 - 2012-12-27 8:41 AM

Welcome some input .

To pick up a extra 45 minutes on the riding shouldn't be a particularly bad thing other than on your seat (so to speak). You would need to dial the effort back slightly but it is definitely doable. here is a copy of my current long rides. It is a 2 hour ride but it is fairly brutal, especially the last 20 minutes. (i hope the format comes out correctly. I'm posting from my daughters iPad and it doesn't seem to format like I would like to see.) I wold suggest that you dial the effort back a little more than I have my WO dialed to just to allow some adaptation. MAybe make it a 75%-85% and see how you feel afterward. Make sure you have a few calories close by to make up for the added time in the saddle.WU: 10' @ 68-73% MS: 40' @ 85%+ 40' @ 90%+ 20' @ 95% CD: 10' @68-73%For your current running: I think things look pretty good. But you didn't indicate how your foot feels. It appears you are headed in the right direction by the slow progression in mileage. I would also say that adding a 2 hour ride shouldn't effect your running much. You may not want to add a long run following the ride and you might experience a little bit of muscular soreness but I doubt you would have many problems adapting to the long ride.

Dirk that workout is worse then the two hour rides I have been doing via Jorge's plan. If this is derived from that plan please don't tell me I don't want to know LOL!

Also, I agree with you on the long run. Dina if you are doing any kind of long run I would keep that as far apart from your long bike ride as you can. Sounds like all your runs are short though so you shouldn't have any problems with having fresh legs for your long bike ride.

2012-12-27 1:14 PM

User image

Bronze member

Tony my "long" run is only 3 miles so not actually long at all .

One more thing, I'm looking for some suggestions of what I can eat quickly during my T/Th mornings. My schedule is 9:00-9:45 swim, quick shower, treadmill run of 2 miles or so, change quickly, set up equipment for my toddler gym class, teach class, clean up. I'm finished with all of that by 12:00. I'm starving in the middle of all of this. I usually bring a banana and some almonds but this does not fill me up and honestly - I'm just tired of eating the same thing.

Does anyone have any suggestions - I need something I can grab and go, eat while I'm walking from one thing to the other or even in the van on the way to the Y. Maybe a granola bar or something but I'm trying not to eat sugary treats.

Warren I'm no expert but I also think you can handle those races with no problem.

2012-12-27 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4550149

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
trigal38 - 2012-12-27 2:14 PM

One more thing, I'm looking for some suggestions of what I can eat quickly during my T/Th mornings. My schedule is 9:00-9:45 swim, quick shower, treadmill run of 2 miles or so, change quickly, set up equipment for my toddler gym class, teach class, clean up. I'm finished with all of that by 12:00. I'm starving in the middle of all of this. I usually bring a banana and some almonds but this does not fill me up and honestly - I'm just tired of eating the same thing.

Does anyone have any suggestions - I need something I can grab and go, eat while I'm walking from one thing to the other or even in the van on the way to the Y. Maybe a granola bar or something but I'm trying not to eat sugary treats.

Warren I'm no expert but I also think you can handle those races with no problem.

Dina normally during the weekdays while working I usually snack at about 3 PM. I always have a cup of coffee, can't help it I'm addicted to that stuff and I usually go with the mixed nuts. I typically eat the Planters heart healthy mix. They can be bought in indvidual packs or a bigger bag or can. I usually throw in sunflower seeds and I know you are trying to avoid the sugar but I will also get my chocolate fix with some dark chocolate M&M's and/or some peanut butter Reeses Pieces in the mix. That seems to fill me up and hold me over through my evening workout which is usually the trainer ride on the bike or a run.

2012-12-27 1:53 PM

User image

Expert
MI

Do you eat anything in the morning before you go for all of that?  If that were me, I'd definitely try to fit in a good meal in the morning!

2012-12-27 1:53 PM

User image

New York

Have you ever tried a boku bar? It is basically a protein bar with a bunch of other good stuff in it like almonds, strawberries etc. This guy who sits right next to me at work is addicted to it. It does taste delicious and its all organic but I found it a bit too heavy for my afternoon snack and also a little pricey at $4 a bar. May be it's worth a try? http://shop.bokusuperfood.com

2012-12-27 2:01 PM
in reply to: #4550217

User image

Expert
MI
Well, the one race I was thinking about doing for July I learned today is cancelled!  Which now leaves me pondering what race to do for that month!  I was thinking about the SheRox Detroit tri, and I contacted them through their series website about when dates will be coming out and received a response saying the whole series has been cancelled... which frankly is a bit strange to me, because why won't they at least list that on their website?  Their facebook page has multiple people asking when 2013 dates are coming out.  And the best part... I see TV ads on a regular basis at my gym for the SheRox series (I think my gym partnered with SheRox, I see these ads multiple times each time I go)... they probably shouldn't be advertising for a series that's been cancelled....
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 119