BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2013-01-15 7:08 AM
in reply to: #4549367

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed
These first two weeks of the new year have been a little hectic for me. The year end close for us has not gone as smoothly as one would have hoped, but what can you do. I think we have stabilized now and I should be able to get my training really going. I am going to work on getting my run fitness back first with some riding thrown in there too. Swimming is really my best discipline and I can get it back pretty quickly.

2013-01-15 9:09 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: ---

Got in a gym and bike workout last night.  Getting off work early today (2-3ish) to hit the trainer and then gym and pool tonight.

hoping to get back in the habit of commuting to work on my bike... just need the weather to be a little more cooperative.

2013-01-15 9:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA

Didn't get in a workout yesterday, but did manage to get outside for an hour on the bike on Sunday. Not bad for mid January! We're due to get some snow tomorrow, followed by colder weather though, so I don't imagine that will last. Planning to hit the trainer tonight, followed by another one of my slow 1M runs to build up my ankle strength. Did one on Saturday and it felt okay, so hopefully it's working.

Thinking about FINALLY hitting the pool tomorrow. I'm such a terrible swimmer, and I don't like doing workouts I can't do from home, so it's difficult to get motivated. I'm hoping to meet up with my old swim coach to finally figure out why I'm so slow in a month or two though, so I'd like to at least have a base built up so we're not also dealing with me being out of shape!

2013-01-15 9:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
update on the broken toe, definitely broken, not displaced though so Dr. recommended no boot, just buddy taping for 4-6 weeks and lay off on the intensity of the workouts. I'm going to drop running until I can push off with no pain though because I don't want to develop a hitch in my gait. morning rides on the trainer yesterday and today were fine though, got in some good TSS. I'm hoping to get my FTP/kg up to 4.5 before races start in a month. but since crits are so different from TT I really need to get my endurance up a bit so I can start doing some power/sprint exercises. tomorrow I get to go to the factory and see where they assemble Boyd wheels, I'm pretty excited about that. I'm going to get wet next week, I swear...
2013-01-15 11:43 AM
in reply to: #4579196

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

coolgenes - 2013-01-15 10:50 AM update on the broken toe, definitely broken, not displaced though so Dr. recommended no boot, just buddy taping for 4-6 weeks and lay off on the intensity of the workouts. I'm going to drop running until I can push off with no pain though because I don't want to develop a hitch in my gait. morning rides on the trainer yesterday and today were fine though, got in some good TSS. I'm hoping to get my FTP/kg up to 4.5 before races start in a month. but since crits are so different from TT I really need to get my endurance up a bit so I can start doing some power/sprint exercises. tomorrow I get to go to the factory and see where they assemble Boyd wheels, I'm pretty excited about that. I'm going to get wet next week, I swear...

Well, it sucks that it's broken, but good that it's ok to tape up. Looks like a bike focus block is in the future

There's always the good old 1:30/:30 on/off sets! Make them hurt and they'll really help the crits.

2013-01-15 12:23 PM

User image

New user

knoxville, tn
Just swam a mile during my lunch break! It sounds like I'm not the only weak swimmer in this group... Smile The swim is by far my weakest! I've been trying to break down my stroke and focus on 1 or 2 parts at a time but when I try to put it all together it falls apart. My goal is make my swim efficiency better so I'm at least not wasting a lot of energy.

2013-01-15 4:45 PM
in reply to: #4579553

Columbus, OH
Shar000001 - 2013-01-15 1:23 PMJust swam a mile during my lunch break! It sounds like I'm not the only weak swimmer in this group... Smile The swim is by far my weakest! I've been trying to break down my stroke and focus on 1 or 2 parts at a time but when I try to put it all together it falls apart. My goal is make my swim efficiency better so I'm at least not wasting a lot of energy.
I can't agree with the breaking down of the swim stroke any more! I've been doin well with bits and pieces, and even short stints as a whole, but after a lap or two it falls apart. I've been tryin my off to get some lessons but nobody has any interest in my business apparently! Maybe I shouldn't preface my emails an phone calls with something along the line of "I can swim, but I suck... Can u help?"

Edited by Cwlodyka 2013-01-15 4:48 PM
2013-01-15 4:50 PM

Columbus, OH
And on the training front I got a 4 mile run in today! My longest since before my 2011 surgery! Felt pretty good but holy crap I'm slow and out of shape.
2013-01-15 7:31 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

first 3 workout day of the year.  feels awesome.  finally going to get back in the swing of things.  

2013-01-15 7:33 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

coolgenes - 2013-01-15 10:50 AM update on the broken toe, definitely broken, not displaced though so Dr. recommended no boot, just buddy taping for 4-6 weeks and lay off on the intensity of the workouts. I'm going to drop running until I can push off with no pain though because I don't want to develop a hitch in my gait. morning rides on the trainer yesterday and today were fine though, got in some good TSS. I'm hoping to get my FTP/kg up to 4.5 before races start in a month. but since crits are so different from TT I really need to get my endurance up a bit so I can start doing some power/sprint exercises. tomorrow I get to go to the factory and see where they assemble Boyd wheels, I'm pretty excited about that. I'm going to get wet next week, I swear...

can you swim while it's broken?  might be a good time to hit the pool to keep workouts going

2013-01-16 7:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA

Well, instead of a trainer ride and a run, I went home and sat on my couch, occasionally glancing at the trainer, but not finding the motivation to actually get on it. *Sigh* I've just been having serious motivational issues since my IM in September. I think it's made worse since I've decided to stick to sprints this year, so I don't even have the push to train in the fear that I'll choke on the distance. I'd like to be competitive though, so clearly, that's not going to happen with me sitting on my butt.

Anyway, sorry for the negative post. I guess I'm hoping if I put my laziness out there, I'll be more inclined to do something about it tonight. Today's a new day after all!

2013-01-16 7:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA

Sorry about the toe, I hope it heals up quickly!

2013-01-16 7:28 AM
in reply to: #4580621

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
KiterChick - 2013-01-16 8:08 AM

Well, instead of a trainer ride and a run, I went home and sat on my couch, occasionally glancing at the trainer, but not finding the motivation to actually get on it. *Sigh* I've just been having serious motivational issues since my IM in September. I think it's made worse since I've decided to stick to sprints this year, so I don't even have the push to train in the fear that I'll choke on the distance. I'd like to be competitive though, so clearly, that's not going to happen with me sitting on my butt.

Anyway, sorry for the negative post. I guess I'm hoping if I put my laziness out there, I'll be more inclined to do something about it tonight. Today's a new day after all!

Everyone has those days/nights/weeks/whatever.  That was yesterday and is doesn't matter what you did yesterday, whether good or bad.  Best little tip or nugget of advice I read on this site so far was in regards to finding the will to motivate yourself when you know it's something you should be doing, but it's just a matter of getting that intitial push.  Someone said just go and do it for 5 minutes, and after those 5 minutes if you want to stop, then you are free to stop, but 99.9% of the time you won't stop after those 5 minutes.  It's a mental trick, but getting off your butt to train starts with the mental decision to get up.  I think it works great because once you get on the bike or get all your clothes together for a cold weather run you've already come that far that hell you might as well put in the full hour at this point.

Do you have specific goals for your sprints besides be competitive?  I'm still in my main digestion phase of all the info I've been reading in books (read as: I have no clue what I'm talking about), but a huge thing they mention is that once you're comfortable with the distance and the race itself that you need more defined goals, and it seems like since you're comfortable with the sprint that maybe you should have a defined goal.  Maybe that will motivate you a bit more? 

2013-01-16 10:54 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Post IM, motivation is often hard to come by... even months later. I had taken time to re-connect with the outside world, see the sun, play video games... things that you don't really get to do with full on IM training. After you've taken a few months "easier" it can be pretty daunting to go back to training seriously.

The thing that always helps me is identifying what I want to change and having a "realistic" goal. I want to improve my run in races (thereby not lose so frustratingly every race), so I had to go run on the treadmill this morning despite hating every minute of it. (Stupid Flooding!)

If you want to be competitive this season, you have to put in the work New Day!

2013-01-16 10:56 AM
in reply to: #4580047

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Cwlodyka - 2013-01-15 5:50 PM And on the training front I got a 4 mile run in today! My longest since before my 2011 surgery! Felt pretty good but holy crap I'm slow and out of shape.

The good thing is that it all comes back pretty fast, just keep it easy for a while!

2013-01-16 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Clemson

Hey Sarah,
Hang in there, since I'm only short distance I have no idea what you are feeling but one thing I can say is that sprints may not have the distance factor but jeez are they fast. Totally different way of training. You have to do lots of fartlek and HITS to get your speed up. could you try to find a 5k a couple weeks out and see what you can do as far as speed? I know I'm thinking about doing an Oly this season just because I want to have the longer distance factor.

Another thing, and this is for everyone out there, Sufferfest is doing a Tour of Sufferlandria through TrainerRoad. Technically you don't need to buy the videos, just bring up the profile in TrainerRoad and ride. Jon I think is going to do it and I'm going to do at least some of them where my race training allows. Might be just the thing to get you back in the saddle, an unofficial race...

2013-01-16 11:20 AM
in reply to: #4580243

User image

Veteran
Clemson
Clempson - 2013-01-15 8:33 PM

can you swim while it's broken?  might be a good time to hit the pool to keep workouts going

Yep, I even got waterproof tape. This week I'm swamped with Spinners' social tonight, race training Sat. and Sun. so I'll just give it till next week to heal It is feeling much better though, mostly because the swelling has gone down quite a bit, I might even be able to wear socks with my bike shoes here shortly.
2013-01-16 11:40 AM
in reply to: #4581101

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

coolgenes - 2013-01-16 12:17 PM Another thing, and this is for everyone out there, Sufferfest is doing a Tour of Sufferlandria through TrainerRoad. Technically you don't need to buy the videos, just bring up the profile in TrainerRoad and ride. Jon I think is going to do it and I'm going to do at least some of them where my race training allows. Might be just the thing to get you back in the saddle, an unofficial race...

I was thinking of it.  It looks intense.  I refuse to skip my swim days right now as that is my main focus at the moment but if anyone else was interested I'll do it to keep the mojo going and give everyone a little "competition" or at least keep me accountable.  I can do the trainer ride early AM then swim at night when needed.

Did "A Very Dark Place" last night on the trainer.  I really liked that one.  I think I need to up my FTP a bit more but that might be a death sentence right before doing the Tour.

2013-01-16 11:43 AM
in reply to: #4581101

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

coolgenes - 2013-01-16 12:17 PM

Another thing, and this is for everyone out there, Sufferfest is doing a Tour of Sufferlandria through TrainerRoad. Technically you don't need to buy the videos, just bring up the profile in TrainerRoad and ride. Jon I think is going to do it and I'm going to do at least some of them where my race training allows. Might be just the thing to get you back in the saddle, an unofficial race...

i hope to make all the days, won't be doing trainerroad though, so i'll be intelligible for all the giveaways associated with it.

2013-01-16 12:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I'll definitely start thinking of some tangible goals, then get to work. I'm thinking: improve my swim times (I'm solidly BOP), try to break 20 mph average on the bike in a race and improve my 5K time. The latter is difficult to work on now because of my ankle, but if it keeps doing okay, that shouldn't take me too long to build up. I like the idea of finding 5Ks alone to get a better feel for my pace too. I'll try throwing them in periodically once I'm healed up.

As for the TR Sufferfest videos, I'm not sure I can do them. I just bought my first SF video, only to find out that I can't play it through my wireless device I have hooked up to my TV. Sadness! I'm assuming TR works the same way, although definitely correct me if I'm wrong. I have a laptop too, but I don't really have a good setup to watch that while I'm riding at the moment. Perhaps another goal to work on...

2013-01-16 12:20 PM

User image

Regular
Another added bonus to the lunch-time workout was an opera concert in the shower. Man this guy was really belting it out.

2013-01-16 12:30 PM
in reply to: #4579458

User image

Champion
Leegoocrap - 2013-01-15 10:43 AM

Well, it sucks that it's broken, but good that it's ok to tape up. Looks like a bike focus block is in the future

There's always the good old 1:30/:30 on/off sets! Make them hurt and they'll really help the crits.

agreed all around here. And on the bike, those are great sets, simple and painful but very effective.
2013-01-16 12:33 PM
in reply to: #4581222

User image

Champion
Its Only Money - 2013-01-16 11:20 AM

Another added bonus to the lunch-time workout was an opera concert in the shower. Man this guy was really belting it out.

Hahahaha
2013-01-16 12:49 PM

User image

Champion
chris is right.

After a big build up/race it's pretty common for people to get out of practice and lose motivation.
Typically there are two paths to follow here.

Some people do well on a down/off training block where they take some time fully off (outside of the normal race recovery time/methods), and then after a bit of time fully/close to off motivation comes back as they miss the training/racing, etc.

The other camp takes their normal recovery and then slowly adds stuff back in, not full training levels, but enough to keep in practice and keep it a habit.

Either way it's important to slowly start getting back into things before it drops fully off the radar, or it becomes much harder to get back into it, and you'll spend a big chunk of time just trying to get it back to being a habit (and that period from personal experince is not fun at all).

At first, getting in the workouts each day are wildly more important than the length/quality of them. Frequency first, make it a habit and get used to moving again, and then work on length and intensity.
2013-01-16 2:30 PM

I have a question about pre-workout-specifically before running-meals...

what is best to eat, and how long before training is it best to eat?

I ask because I went running tonight and had to cut the circuit short because I started tasting my last meal which I had eaten about 40 minutes before.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 39