BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2013-05-21 4:11 PM
in reply to: luv2bhealthy

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: RE: Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group Open
Updated PTC sheet. Let the quest begin!!!

(PTC 5-19.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
PTC 5-19.jpg (70KB - 20 downloads)

2013-05-21 4:28 PM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Originally posted by juneapple

Scott, what's your basis for your baseline calorie burn / day?

Okay, off to catch another plane - have a great week everyone!

Stu

Stu -

And with that simple question, I think you answered my question. I had been using the BMR that BT has in the nutrition display. I assumed that it was likely accurate. Opps. After seeing your question asking what is the basis for my BMR I thought maybe I should check. I went to several different websites and calculated my BMR. They all came up with EXACTLY the same number - 2,145 calories/day. BT has it at 3,265/day. So what I thought was a 1,500 calorie/day deficit appears to be in reality only a 300 calorie deficit. With the new numbers it is fairly easy to understand why the weight is not coming off. 300 calories/day translates to +/- 1 pound a week lost, that is before cheating with the scoop of ice cream or the Eggs Benedict for Sunday brunch (my weakness). It actually appears I am fortunate I have not been gaining weight. Now that I have a fairly good idea where the problem is, I can alter my diet and maybe get back on track. Thank you for opening my eyes to the obvious.

Hope you had a good flight!
2013-05-21 4:33 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Hey Steve - Sneaker question???

I had been wearing Asics 2150s and I liked them so much I bought a pair 2160s before they discontinued them but they seem little tight and I am wondering if that may be causing some of my ITB knee issues (in addition to running too much, too soon). I was wondering if I should go up a half size. I like having my sneakers tight because they make me feel faster but I read you should have a thumbnail width of room from your longest toe to the end of your shoe. They said it is because your feet swell during long distance runs. Do you believe in this theory? I am asking because I am thinking of buying a couple of new pairs of sneakers because I heard rotating shoes is a good thing to do. FYI - I have been evaluated at running stores and I have been told I pronate slightly. Also, if you know of other makes, models you like, etc., any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
2013-05-21 4:49 PM
in reply to: Bull

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Originally posted by Bull

When I started in january 2012, I weighed over 350 pounds. Today 167 and jusrt ran my 3rd Tri.

You have no idea how inspiring that is! Thank you for sharing that.
2013-05-21 4:56 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Originally posted by lutzman

What I do to try to train with my wife--who is in great shape but is a very slow runner--is we run for a specified time period. We don't run together, we just start and finish together since we're both going out for the same amount of time. It's not the same as going side by side, but we both are able to get the workout that we each respectively need versus forcing one of us to go either too slow or too fast.

We will only be running together on Sunday. That is a good idea, go together - separately. She has gone with me on her day off on Wednesday morning a couple times but has always insisted I do my thing. We will just start doing that on Sunday also.
2013-05-21 5:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by JREDFLY

I had been wearing Asics 2150s and I liked them so much I bought a pair 2160s before they discontinued them but they seem little tight and I am wondering if that may be causing some of my ITB knee issues (in addition to running too much, too soon). I was wondering if I should go up a half size. I like having my sneakers tight because they make me feel faster but I read you should have a thumbnail width of room from your longest toe to the end of your shoe. They said it is because your feet swell during long distance runs. Do you believe in this theory? I am asking because I am thinking of buying a couple of new pairs of sneakers because I heard rotating shoes is a good thing to do. FYI - I have been evaluated at running stores and I have been told I pronate slightly. Also, if you know of other makes, models you like, etc., any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Tough question to answer. I certainly think shoes can exacerbate a problem, but whether your shoes/shoe size is the source of your injury is hard to guess at. Personally, in the past I have had shoe related IT band issues. In my case, it was because I let a pair of shoes break down and ended up with a very uneven foot bed. The result was a foot strike that emphasized a roll toward the inside of my foot creating greater stress on the IT band as it tried to hold everything in alignment. Bingo: IT band flare up. I suppose it's possible an incorrect size could cause a problem but my initial reaction would be that this is probably not the primary cause of your issues.

Do you have orthotic inserts? About 10 years ago I suddenly developed shin splints. I had never had them in the past and hadn't changed my training, so it made zero sense that shin splints would just pop up. I went to a podiatrist to have my running stride checked out. He basically said that my foot plant was fairly normal but I had just enough inward roll to cause shin splints and IT band issues. The comment he made that got my attention was that young bodies are able to handle and recover from the stress inflicted in running far better than older bodies. Hence, the same training I could complete without injury when younger now leads to injury because my body doesn't recover from the workouts as quickly.

So, I invested in the casting of my foot so he could make custom orthotics for my shoes and I haven't had any additional problems.. Now when I buy a pair of shoes I pull out the factory insole and slide in my custom soles. They work great and it was a great investment, especially since my health insurance picked up part of the bill.

I'm with you in that I prefer snug fitting shoes. But I don't like the feel of having my big toe touching the end of the shoe. As I run faster with a more forward foot plant, the landing forces the foot farther forward. If the toe is already touching the end of the shoe, this running action feels like its smashing the big toe into the shoe on every stride. So, I always go for a little room so my big toe isn't touching the end of the shoe.

Personally, I've never rotated shoes. I've heard the benefits but just never decided I needed to try it. No real positive or negative feelings either way. But I'm totally on board with you when it comes to scoring shoes at a discount when they close out a beloved model.

My running style is "neutral". So for me, getting shoes is pretty straight-forward as I don't have any particular issues I need a shoe to compensate for. Since you're probably buying "stability" shoes, fit and model may be a little more critical. The recommendations from the experts in your local running store might be the best way to go versus trying to save a few bucks buying online

Just my two cents.

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2013-05-21 6:18 PM

2013-05-21 5:40 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
North Carolina
Thanks. Having been there done that I know exactly how it feels. I feel I've been given a new lease on life and I'm not going to waste any of it. When the angel of death comes calling, he better have his running shoes on cause he ain't going to find me in a rocking chair waiting on him to ca
ll. Now after a day off, going to try to get a few miles in before it starts raining again.
2013-05-21 5:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

All the people that I run with, if there has been a knee or foot problem, it has been their shoes. Usually shoes that are too worn out or ones that just don't fit properly. I had a fitting just last year. It was very beneficial. I found out I needed a bigger size than what I was wearing and my foot is neutral. I use to wear Asics all the time, but then they started hurting my feet and causing problems. I now wear Nike. You may want to go to a running store and let them fit you.
2013-05-21 8:52 PM

User image

New user

Michigan
Just watched this webinar on triathlons and the heart. You may have seen it as well. I found it informative. Of course this would turn up in my email during a week when I have hardly exercised.
http://www.usatriathlon.org/events/webinars/members/dr-larry-creswe...
2013-05-22 6:28 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Thanks Steve & Norma,

When I went to the running store they had me try a pair neutral running shoes and I could really feel the inside of my right foot turning in but my left foot not as much. They suggested the neutral shoe (Brooks Ghost) with a "bone support" insert. It looked just like an arch support but they said it was different but who knows. The one thing she did say which made sense was a sneaker is like a platform and my current sneaker's toe box was a little tight width wise which causes my foot to be outside the platform and not sit correctly. I am going to try another store today just to get another opinion. Steve you now have a new convert where I think it makes sense to spend the extra money at your local running shop and get fitted correctly. I know one guy that is a pretty hardcore runner (60 to 80 miles a week) that will not wear any running shoes that has plastic in the sole and thinks the shoe should flex and I have heard the exact opposite in running stores, any opinion?

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-05-22 6:43 AM
2013-05-22 2:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

Thanks Steve & Norma,

When I went to the running store they had me try a pair neutral running shoes and I could really feel the inside of my right foot turning in but my left foot not as much. They suggested the neutral shoe (Brooks Ghost) with a "bone support" insert. It looked just like an arch support but they said it was different but who knows. The one thing she did say which made sense was a sneaker is like a platform and my current sneaker's toe box was a little tight width wise which causes my foot to be outside the platform and not sit correctly. I am going to try another store today just to get another opinion. Steve you now have a new convert where I think it makes sense to spend the extra money at your local running shop and get fitted correctly. I know one guy that is a pretty hardcore runner (60 to 80 miles a week) that will not wear any running shoes that has plastic in the sole and thinks the shoe should flex and I have heard the exact opposite in running stores, any opinion?

I definitely would go to another store for a second opinion. That's what my running buddy and I did. We drove to Dallas and went to two running stores to get fitted. We got the same response from both stores. My shoe is a Nike, hers a Saucony. We decided to do the fitting because we had run the Dallas Half Marathon and right afterward she started experiencing plantar fascitis in one foot. It was her shoes that she had purchased online. They were Saucony, but a different style that didn't fit her foot quite right. Since getting the new shoes, there have been no problems.

2013-05-23 12:00 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Memorial Day Weekend--What's your plan?
So, big three day weekend coming up. Got any good training planned? Racing? The weather is getting better and we're on the cusp of the main Tri season, so this is a great weekend to jump start your program as we roll into the season.

Let's go!

Steve
2013-05-23 1:20 PM

User image

Regular
North Carolina
Subject: RE: Memorial Day Weekend--What's your plan?
yes, swim, bike, run and kayak. I've got a wilderness triathlon coing up June 9th which involves kayaking down the Cape Fear River. Going to pull the tarps off my kayak and hit tthe river. This is a must do tri for me because it starts in my hometown and I can sit on my front porch and see the start/finish line.
2013-05-23 2:31 PM

User image

Regular

yes, swim, bike, run and kayak. I've got a wilderness triathlon coing up June 9th which involves kayaking down the Cape Fear River. Going to pull the tarps off my kayak and hit tthe river. This is a must do tri for me because it starts in my hometown and I can sit on my front porch and see the start/finish line.

I like it! Good luck!
2013-05-23 2:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Yes! Second Oly of the year on May 26. Hoping to improve my times. Trained as much as possible. We'll see.
2013-05-23 3:13 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

Must be pretty cool having the start and finish line right in front of your house.

I am going to be smart and not run my half marathon I had scheduled for this upcoming weekend due to the IT Band issues I have been having. I would like to thank everyone that offered great advice.

Hey you Canadians on the thread, I am going up to Edmonton for the first time ever on Monday for a few days on business. Are there any tips you could offer on places to see. etc.?

Swim class tomorrow and going to work on the biking over the weekend.

Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day!

Thanks,
James

2013-05-23 3:13 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario
Our long weekend was last weekend.

Saturday doing a group ride. Sunday have a probably all day BBQ with a bunch of friends, may fit in a short run in the morning. Monday will do a solo long ride.
2013-05-23 3:16 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario

Originally posted by Bull yes, swim, bike, run and kayak. I've got a wilderness triathlon coing up June 9th which involves kayaking down the Cape Fear River. Going to pull the tarps off my kayak and hit tthe river. This is a must do tri for me because it starts in my hometown and I can sit on my front porch and see the start/finish line.
Must be pretty cool having the start and finish line right in front of your house. I am going to be smart and not run my half marathon I had scheduled for this upcoming weekend due to the IT Band issues I have been having. I would like to thank everyone that offered great advice. Hey you Canadians on the thread, I am going up to Edmonton for the first time ever on Monday for a few days on business. Are there any tips you could offer on places to see. etc.? Swim class tomorrow and going to work on the biking over the weekend. Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day! Thanks, James

Sorry, I've never been there.  I hear they have a nice mall but that's all I got for ya.

2013-05-23 3:43 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by luv2bhealthy

Yes! Second Oly of the year on May 26. Hoping to improve my times. Trained as much as possible. We'll see.

Norma--Fabulous. Best of luck this weekend. Let us know how it goes! We'll be waiting on the details....
2013-05-23 3:45 PM

User image

Regular

I am going to be smart and not run my half marathon I had scheduled for this upcoming weekend due to the IT Band issues I have been having. I would like to thank everyone that offered great advice.

Thanks,
James
[/QUOTE

James--I think you made the right decision to skip the HM. No looking back! Can't give you advice on Edmonton...been there a couple of times, but never did anything except run on the hotel treadmill.

It must be a great venue for multi-sport because the ITU World Triathlon and World Age Group Championships are supposedly being held there in 2014. I'm sure you can find some great links on the web.

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2013-05-23 3:48 PM
2013-05-23 5:31 PM

User image

Regular
Newport News
Colonoscopy on Friday Then start Triathlon training Saturday with TNT (bike and short run). Sunday is OWS practice at a lake. Two weeks until the Great Chesapeake Swim.

2013-05-23 6:58 PM
in reply to: tkatzhyman

User image

New user
My weekend is going to be full and fun. Keeping the GranPuppy all weekend and cookouts Saturday and Sunday evening.
Training wise, I am a "follower" this year on the weekends and training with a crowd that is doing the Muncie Half IM in July (keep to my own plan through the week). We are doing a long lake swim Friday night followed with beer and pizza, Long Run Saturday and Long Bike Sunday.

It has been a struggle not to cave in to the peer pressure and sign up for the Half IM. Last weekend my husband joined us for the bike ride and they have him in on it now. When I seriously start thinking about it, I do a Bike/Run brick. It doesn't take long to remember how bad that run feels for 13.1 miles and I just can't think of a good reason to put myself through it again.

Everybody enjoy your weekend, and racers, good luck.
2013-05-23 11:01 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by tkatzhyman

Colonoscopy on Friday Then start Triathlon training Saturday with TNT (bike and short run). Sunday is OWS practice at a lake. Two weeks until the Great Chesapeake Swim.

Oh my. Been there, done that. Isn't getting old great! Good luck, my friend.

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2013-05-23 11:01 PM
2013-05-24 4:33 AM

User image

Regular
North Carolina
Yep it is! I would watch them come in from my front porch, thinking to myself those guys are crazy.........I live right outside Fort Bragg and this triathlon attracts lots of special forces soldiers and as of today I'm the oldest participant in the triathlon and from what they tell me I'm the first 50 plus participant to enter. We've had a lot of rain the past two months and the river volumes are running high. As long as the river is running less than 3' over normal levels they won't cancel the race. I Told my wife if the river level is over two feet I'm going to skip the kayak portion and just do the bike and run.
2013-05-24 7:13 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by lutzman

Originally posted by tkatzhyman

Oh my. Been there, done that. Isn't getting old great! Good luck, my friend.

Steve

Growing old beats the alternative!!!

Be careful running after that C-Scope you will be all dehydrated.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 37