BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2013-06-02 5:04 PM
in reply to: jackiep

User image

Veteran
clayton
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN
finished by first oly in 2:50:43 - it was on the same day as Raleigh 70.3 and I feel for those guys as it was hot! Awesome race - report to follow.

2013-06-02 8:03 PM
in reply to: jackiep

User image

Master
Dallas
Hey guys, some bad news... Me (and two other people) took care of roughly 700 miles of refined products pipeline at least when it comes to anything electrical, instrumentation, programming of PLCs, etc. Well, one of those guys fell off a horse a few weeks ago and broke his left foot in several parts, leaving him out of combat for many more weeks. To make matters worse, the other guy decided to pursue new horizons and his last day was this past Friday.
I was already stupidly busy even before any of this happened, the company has asked me to do everything I can to support the multiple facilities that are left unsupported. That means even more travel, even more work, and even less training. It also means less playtime when it comes to pretty much anything, and that includes my family.
Tomorrow I am traveling to San Antonio, staying out for the entire week and I will be doing similar stuff for at least a couple of months. I feel this will throw a big wrench in my season but I don't have much of a choice, unless I find a new place...
Glad to know that everybody is doing well, I hope it stays that way.
Cheers!

E
2013-06-02 10:09 PM
in reply to: ernestov

User image

Maple Grove, MN
E,

Sorry to hear about the stuff at work. Don't get on horse!
2013-06-03 7:48 AM
in reply to: markhodges1973

User image

Expert
Originally posted by markhodges1973

finished by first oly in 2:50:43 - it was on the same day as Raleigh 70.3 and I feel for those guys as it was hot! Awesome race - report to follow.

Good job Mark. That brutal Southern heat can kill you. I look forward to your report.
2013-06-03 7:50 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
E- Sorry to hear work you work is bad right now. It sucks when work gets in the way of fun.

Jackie- I'm glad to see you are back.
2013-06-03 2:35 PM

User image

Indianapolis, Indiana
E, do what you've gotta do. Hope to hear from you when you can, at least have a little fun on the side.

Other thought... as i've been planning out my summer races i'll have an opportunity to go to a sprint free of charge. Thing is, it's exactly one week after i'm doing the Tri Indy Olympic race, and two weeks before the Chicago Tri (oly). I don't want to bog myself down with too many races - is 1 week enough recovery? Am I cramming myself too tight where I won't perform as well at Chicago?

Obviously a free race is a free race and I want to do as much as I can over the summer, but if back-to-back will hurt more than it'll help/be fun, I don't want to do that.

Thoughts?

2013-06-03 3:13 PM

User image

Miami

Congrats in your first Oly Mark!! Looking forward to reading your RR.
2013-06-03 4:45 PM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Expert
Guatemala
Ernesto and Jackie, I'm sending good Guatemalan vibes both of your ways, Jackie for more work and Ernesto for less work ;-)

Mark, congratulations on your recent Oly tri, well done!

Jordan, I would go ahead with the free Sprint tri (hey it's free and should be fun), but treating it as a long training / fun C Race
2013-06-03 7:44 PM
in reply to: flyingpenguin

User image

Master
Dallas
Originally posted by flyingpenguin

E, do what you've gotta do. Hope to hear from you when you can, at least have a little fun on the side.

Other thought... as i've been planning out my summer races i'll have an opportunity to go to a sprint free of charge. Thing is, it's exactly one week after i'm doing the Tri Indy Olympic race, and two weeks before the Chicago Tri (oly). I don't want to bog myself down with too many races - is 1 week enough recovery? Am I cramming myself too tight where I won't perform as well at Chicago?

Obviously a free race is a free race and I want to do as much as I can over the summer, but if back-to-back will hurt more than it'll help/be fun, I don't want to do that.

Thoughts?
It all depends on how well you want to do. Usually back to back races cannot be perfect, unless of course you make a living with the sport and recovery is easy to achieve (massage, lots of sleep, etc). Usually the second race is the one that pays the price, or option #2 is to go VERY easy during race #1 and use it as a "warm up" event.
2013-06-03 8:24 PM
in reply to: ernestov

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
@Mark - Congrats on your race.
@Ernesto - Work sucks and feels like the worst excuse no to train. Hang in there.
@Jackie - Missed you.

So this is my peak week of training before the two week taper before my HIM. Pounded the training hard last weekend and put in about 13+ hours of decent training. Not where I was last year, but, with the good Lord willing, I plan to line up and race 6/23. The knee is a bit of a struggle these days and have been keeping the running low, but I have plenty of 10+ mile runs under the belt that I will be fine. My work schedule is nuts for the next couple of weeks so it will be a struggle - is it every not?
2013-06-03 10:37 PM
in reply to: JoePetto

User image

Expert
Guatemala
Originally posted by JoePetto

@Mark - Congrats on your race.
@Ernesto - Work sucks and feels like the worst excuse no to train. Hang in there.
@Jackie - Missed you.

So this is my peak week of training before the two week taper before my HIM. Pounded the training hard last weekend and put in about 13+ hours of decent training. Not where I was last year, but, with the good Lord willing, I plan to line up and race 6/23. The knee is a bit of a struggle these days and have been keeping the running low, but I have plenty of 10+ mile runs under the belt that I will be fine. My work schedule is nuts for the next couple of weeks so it will be a struggle - is it every not?

That's the spirit Joe, I'm positive you will do well on your HIM and things will start turning around on your side! How is your wife's recovery going?

2013-06-04 2:42 PM
in reply to: sirgab

User image

Veteran
clayton
Ernesto - sorry to hear the work news, it only seems like the other day you finally sorted out your workload and now this - I hope it resolves itself soon.

Thanks everyone for all the kind words - RR is now posted.

two questions:
- as my training distances and load have increased recently, I have noticed ache's in my hip flexors and butt/piriformis? So I have added in some additional stretches, foam roller work and plan to start additional focused strength work in these areas after my recovery week. Apart from this any other comments or early alarms bells?
- after the race on sunday I wanted to eat everything in sight and pretty much did even monday I still wanted to eat more than usual. I tried to be conscious of quality not just quantity, but wondered is this normal and any good advice for food choice?

thanks, Mark.
2013-06-04 3:38 PM

User image

Expert

Ernesto - sorry to hear the work news, it only seems like the other day you finally sorted out your workload and now this - I hope it resolves itself soon.

two questions:
- as my training distances and load have increased recently, I have noticed ache's in my hip flexors and butt/piriformis? So I have added in some additional stretches, foam roller work and plan to start additional focused strength work in these areas after my recovery week. Apart from this any other comments or early alarms bells?
- after the race on sunday I wanted to eat everything in sight and pretty much did even monday I still wanted to eat more than usual. I tried to be conscious of quality not just quantity, but wondered is this normal and any good advice for food choice?

thanks, Mark.

Good report. Nice job keeping your head during your little bit of a swim issue.
Re you 2 questions:
The first sounds like a strengthening issue. Not a big deal, unless you do nothing about it. It will cause a break down and increase the chance of injury, if you don't. I would suggest finding a couple of isolation exercises for each muscle and do those daily until you build those muscles up. Strengthening them will help you on longer distances, because it will help you maintain form.
The second, it is normal to want to eat everything in sight after a big race, and it is ok to indulge (a little). You just put your body through a massive calorie deficit, and so you put your system into a red alert. Your brain and muscles are saying, "did you see what that mad man just did to us, we need more food in case he does it again." It is a primal survival instinct, that's all. If you continue eating massive values of food, then you will have a problem. After a few days, return to your normal diet, your body will fall back into routine. If I get really bad I eat popsicles they only have about 50 cal., they satisfy the need for carbs, and they take a long time to eat.
2013-06-04 8:55 PM

User image

New user

WSU
Taper week so slow going in time respective. After my last big ride on Saturday, was easily doing about 18mph avg, so should be able to do better than the listed 15mph I am expecting. Although, I also went quicker on the run after the transition. Was trying to do around my 9:30 mark, but did about 8:30 then a 9:30. However, I didn't feel like I was over doing myself though and felt fine after the brick.

E - Hope things get better soon.
2013-06-05 1:50 PM
in reply to: CWard

User image

Expert
Are we doing a challenge this month? If so who's in?
2013-06-05 10:29 PM

User image

Regular

Originally posted by markhodges1973 finished by first oly in 2:50:43 - it was on the same day as Raleigh 70.3 and I feel for those guys as it was hot! Awesome race - report to follow.

Great job congrats on your first tri.

2013-06-05 10:40 PM
in reply to: mharvey642

User image

Regular
Since biking is my weakest sport, I have a question.  When you go on a long ride should you average 70 RPM's or be spinning at higher RPMs like 85-90 or do you do both.  70 RPMs on Flat and down hill and spinning on uphill and into strong wind?  Any input would be great.
2013-06-05 10:42 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala
Originally posted by JBacarella

Are we doing a challenge this month? If so who's in?

Hey I'm in for a June Challenge, I need the motivation and we also have new members in the group who could join the fun. I'm scheduled to travel to Taiwan for work from the 23rd through the 1st, very close to my upcoming HIM, so the challenge will be a good thing to keep me somewhat focused!
2013-06-06 7:18 AM

User image

Veteran
clayton
Originally posted by JBacarella

two questions:

thanks, Mark.

Good report. Nice job keeping your head during your little bit of a swim issue.
Re you 2 questions:
The first sounds like a strengthening issue. Not a big deal, unless you do nothing about it. It will cause a break down and increase the chance of injury, if you don't. I would suggest finding a couple of isolation exercises for each muscle and do those daily until you build those muscles up. Strengthening them will help you on longer distances, because it will help you maintain form.
The second, it is normal to want to eat everything in sight after a big race, and it is ok to indulge (a little). You just put your body through a massive calorie deficit, and so you put your system into a red alert. Your brain and muscles are saying, "did you see what that mad man just did to us, we need more food in case he does it again." It is a primal survival instinct, that's all. If you continue eating massive values of food, then you will have a problem. After a few days, return to your normal diet, your body will fall back into routine. If I get really bad I eat popsicles they only have about 50 cal., they satisfy the need for carbs, and they take a long time to eat.

Thanks, Jim - that cheered up my day! I'll be in for June Challenge, even with vacation it'll keep me focused.
2013-06-06 8:00 AM

User image

Master
I'm in for June. haven't run since I injured my toe. Gave it a try after cycling on the trainer this morning and still had pain. Decided better to let it heal more and try again in a few days. I really hate injuries....
2013-06-06 9:51 AM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Miami
I'm in for June too.

After hitting volume records for all three disciplines in May, I was taking a little bit of a break this week. Also Im kind of tapering for a race I have on Sunday (C race that I'm only doing with a few friends I want to introduce to triathlon). However the challenge will be great to make me regain focus after this weekend's race.

2013-06-06 2:15 PM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Master
Dallas
In for a June challenge, although I might finish last... Are we still using the spreadsheet in google docs?
2013-06-06 3:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Originally posted by ernestov

In for a June challenge, although I might finish last... Are we still using the spreadsheet in google docs?

Yes.

Question for Ernesto and the group:

I've been considering my first HIM this late summer (Sept 7). I'm questioning that decision based on summer travel schedule, op tempo at work and my toe injury. I will have trouble adhering to training plan for 11 days in late June, 3 days in early July and about 6 days in mid-August. I'll likely be able to run during all those periods but likely no swim except for a couple days during the august period. While my work op tempo is not as crazy as E's at the moment, on more than one occasion I have skipped workouts due to being too tired from work related stress. The toe is an unknown, not sure when I'll be able to run again - it feels like its improving but I fear rushing back.

Am I setting myself up for a less than satisfactory go at my first HIM. I don't want to pursue the goal unless I can be a prepared as possible and do as well as possible (I recognize it would be my first HIM and I would be silly to "race" it my first time).

I have a HM that I am scheduled for in mid-Oct that is likely to be an A+ race for a number of factors. Was thinking of using the summer to work on my swim as much as possible (still my weakest link) and focus on running with a bit of cycling mixed in.

What say the leader and the masses? Being too hard on myself? Do I just need to HTFU? I'm open to all comments and feedback. Thanks Team!

Edited by trisuppo 2013-06-06 4:15 PM
2013-06-06 7:04 PM

User image

Expert
Mark:

If you are having piriformis issues, then you have a bio-mechanical issue. This is the single best website for strengthening and stretching exercises:
http://www.hep2go.com/. Search by body part.
2013-06-06 7:06 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by trisuppo

Originally posted by ernestov

Yes.

Question for Ernesto and the group:

I've been considering my first HIM this late summer (Sept 7). I'm questioning that decision based on summer travel schedule, op tempo at work and my toe injury. I will have trouble adhering to training plan for 11 days in late June, 3 days in early July and about 6 days in mid-August. I'll likely be able to run during all those periods but likely no swim except for a couple days during the august period. While my work op tempo is not as crazy as E's at the moment, on more than one occasion I have skipped workouts due to being too tired from work related stress. The toe is an unknown, not sure when I'll be able to run again - it feels like its improving but I fear rushing back.

Am I setting myself up for a less than satisfactory go at my first HIM. I don't want to pursue the goal unless I can be a prepared as possible and do as well as possible (I recognize it would be my first HIM and I would be silly to "race" it my first time).

I have a HM that I am scheduled for in mid-Oct that is likely to be an A+ race for a number of factors. Was thinking of using the summer to work on my swim as much as possible (still my weakest link) and focus on running with a bit of cycling mixed in.

What say the leader and the masses? Being too hard on myself? Do I just need to HTFU? I'm open to all comments and feedback. Thanks Team!

Answer: why sacrifice an A+ goal for a C+ goal? Doesn't make sense based on your priorities.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 21