BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2014-01-30 9:41 PM
in reply to: Captain_Chris

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - OPEN

Originally posted by Captain_Chris
Originally posted by pistuo Chris, Yes, I have been to Africa numerous times. I am a youth minister and usually take high school students with me. Going back this summer! We go to Lilongwe, Malawi out into the villages where most have never heard the name Jesus nor seen a white person... ha. There's a huge need for clean water in the areas we go to. And for living water as well. And we've had chances to take them both. I love the trip... although I will say that the jet lag from the 2-day flight (one way) can be rough... I must be getting old
Very cool! I spent 10 days at school in the slums of Nairobi telling kids about Jesus. It was my first trip but we are planning another trip for this summer. I hope I can go! I got in the pool for a little while tonight, swimming was a lot easier when I didn't have to think about improving my stoke! Still sick but feeling a little better. @jfought I have been thinking about running the bleachers at the high school for some hill work. General questions... I don't have a bike trainer so I have been going to spinning classes. I use a heart rate monitor and do both endurance and interval type workout. How well do these improve your cycling? Is an hour at a shot enough? Uploading Gamin data here? Is there an write-up on how to do this easily? maybe a third party app?

Take your time learning the proper technical approach to swimming because the payoff comes in spades later on.  Once you've established the muscle memory and things begin to click you'll begin to see times drop likes rocks from the sky.  TI has given a lot of people some tremendous improvement over a short period of time and following their drills will help establish things nicely........Stay with the program and try not to become impatient.

Cycling and spinning aren't so different that you'll see anything but improvement since you're just getting into the sport.  Once you become an addict, as Brenda mentioned, you can grab a trainer and do some testing to get more closely dialed in.  Now, with that said, do you complete your own workouts or are you part of a class?  If you're not part of a class and you are simply spending time on a spin bike some adaptations can take place to get you more focused.

More specifically, both types of workouts are part of a good cycling plan.  Completing these types of workouts will develop both a stronger endurance engine and a more capable, efficient and stronger cyclist.  Having the proper targets can be determined by completing a few test but they are very brutal.  Heart Rate (HR) plans are a method by which training zones can be determined and proper training targets achieved.

Uploading a Garmin work out is very simple.  Plug in your Ant+ stick, then from the top of your page hover over the Training Log link........

Training Log>Add Today's Workout> Upload (Click)>Select your device>List Activities.  Once your there simply select the workouts you wish to upload and click the upload button.  The data loads pretty quickly but it take a minute to actually appear in your log.  Then, as Brenda suggested, we can see your workouts in your training log as long as it's marked public or friends and all of us are selected.

2014-01-30 9:53 PM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by Jo63 Tony take care of yourself and don't overdue! Hydrate and take some extra vitamins I was so excited to post about my run I forgot to post my swimming question lol, so I am working hard on my catch and pull but have discovered my issue is on my breathing stroke, the side I breath on I loose complete form every time, any suggestions? is this possibly a flexibility issue?

I doubt it's a flexibility issue but without seeing you I can't say with certainty.

I would say that you are raising your head during the breathing cycle causing your legs to drop and basically bring you very close to a stop.  This is a common mistake I see nearly every time I go to the pool.  The way to combat this is to try to rotate your head and shoulders to the side you're breathing toward.  Practice seeing water from the lower side of your goggles and the side of the pool in the other goggle.  This takes time to master but you can pick it up with a drill using a kick board found here....Shoulder Breath And some good reading from Swim Smooth

2014-01-31 4:42 AM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
Originally posted by DirkP

Originally posted by jenbmosley

I would like some input on what you guys eat before long races. I've had some wonderful long runs, and I have noticed that I ate several hearty meals the day before. the days I did long runs and carb loaded the night before were disastrous runs where I was starving around mile 12-15. I know I need to pay close attention to my nutrition the next 4 days so I am prepared and don't get famished 2/3 of the way through the run.

Obviously nutrition is a key element for these large workouts.    During my marathon training I would eat a larger meal with a few more complex carbs the day before.  Nothing major but I did maintain an effort to make sure I had a few extra calories to provide something to feed my muscles for the following day's long run.  A key is to make sure you're eating the right kinds of carbs to fuel your body.  As much as I wish it were the case, candy bars and ice cream aren't the right way to go here.

Glycogen is the best type of fuel for you.  It's the body's most easily used form of fuel.  You can never really get to 100% of the storage of glycogen because you're always using it.  

Some forms of building these stores are in the form of bagels, pasta, rice and, my personal favorite, quinoa.  Quinoa can be added to salads or cooked in place of rice.  One of the great things about quinoa is that it is also a fair source of protein.

Race carb loading is a different thing than training loads.  Race loading should take place for 2-3 days prior to a key long course race. Let us know if you have more questions about carb loading, I am passing out at the computer and my mind is beginning to shut down a bit.

Dirk, JoAnee, Tony, & Matt --- Thanks for your input.

I usually drink water, H24 Prolong, and a few bites of breakfast bars during long runs and it has worked well so far. Gels, Gu's, & Gatorade never agree with my digestive tract so I stay far away from those. I've been eating a little more than usual, including lots of almonds, spinach salads, oranges, water, Greek yogurt, and salmon. My the night before my best long run was a homemade Mexican meal (of all things) without any of the spiciness - turkey burrito, pinto beans, and rice.

I am running the Tallahassee Marathon. It is a very small marathon by marathon standards. I think there only 1,000 slots for the half and full combined. There will be no live tracking.... So, I will likely text the hubby around mile 20 to let him know I am about an hour from finishing if he decides to bring the kiddos to see me finish.

2014-01-31 6:35 AM
in reply to: jenbmosley

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin

I would like some input on what you guys eat before long races. I've had some wonderful long runs, and I have noticed that I ate several hearty meals the day before. the days I did long runs and carb loaded the night before were disastrous runs where I was starving around mile 12-15. I know I need to pay close attention to my nutrition the next 4 days so I am prepared and don't get famished 2/3 of the way through the run.

Obviously nutrition is a key element for these large workouts.    During my marathon training I would eat a larger meal with a few more complex carbs the day before.  Nothing major but I did maintain an effort to make sure I had a few extra calories to provide something to feed my muscles for the following day's long run.  A key is to make sure you're eating the right kinds of carbs to fuel your body.  As much as I wish it were the case, candy bars and ice cream aren't the right way to go here.

Glycogen is the best type of fuel for you.  It's the body's most easily used form of fuel.  You can never really get to 100% of the storage of glycogen because you're always using it.  

Some forms of building these stores are in the form of bagels, pasta, rice and, my personal favorite, quinoa.  Quinoa can be added to salads or cooked in place of rice.  One of the great things about quinoa is that it is also a fair source of protein.

Race carb loading is a different thing than training loads.  Race loading should take place for 2-3 days prior to a key long course race. Let us know if you have more questions about carb loading, I am passing out at the computer and my mind is beginning to shut down a bit.

I usually drink water, H24 Prolong, and a few bites of breakfast bars during long runs and it has worked well so far. Gels, Gu's, & Gatorade never agree with my digestive tract so I stay far away from those. I've been eating a little more than usual, including lots of almonds, spinach salads, oranges, water, Greek yogurt, and salmon. My the night before my best long run was a homemade Mexican meal (of all things) without any of the spiciness - turkey burrito, pinto beans, and rice.

I am running the Tallahassee Marathon. It is a very small marathon by marathon standards. I think there only 1,000 slots for the half and full combined. There will be no live tracking.... So, I will likely text the hubby around mile 20 to let him know I am about an hour from finishing if he decides to bring the kiddos to see me finish.

Jenn, I am not a big fan of gu and gels either but I have used sports beans and cliff shot blocks that worked well for me. I am not sure if you have tracked your nutrition as far as calories go, if not try it for a week. It sounds like you are eatting healthy but maybe not enough calories or good fats maybe that why you did so well on that long run when you ate the big meal......this is what happened to me during my last IM training I ate well but not enough calories and the end result was not good. I use fitclick, it free and its easy to use.
2014-01-31 6:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin

Originally posted by Jo63 Tony take care of yourself and don't overdue! Hydrate and take some extra vitamins I was so excited to post about my run I forgot to post my swimming question lol, so I am working hard on my catch and pull but have discovered my issue is on my breathing stroke, the side I breath on I loose complete form every time, any suggestions? is this possibly a flexibility issue?

I doubt it's a flexibility issue but without seeing you I can't say with certainty.

I would say that you are raising your head during the breathing cycle causing your legs to drop and basically bring you very close to a stop.  This is a common mistake I see nearly every time I go to the pool.  The way to combat this is to try to rotate your head and shoulders to the side you're breathing toward.  Practice seeing water from the lower side of your goggles and the side of the pool in the other goggle.  This takes time to master but you can pick it up with a drill using a kick board found here....Shoulder Breath And some good reading from Swim Smooth

Thanks I do already breath like that, I just cant seem to keep my arm extended, it just immediately drops, I will check out swim smooth and try to video my swim.

On a side note, I did my 20 minute test for trainer road last night I probably shouldn't of did it yesterday but I couldn't wait to try it out! I woke up at 3:30 after getting only 5 hrs of sleep then I didn't do the test till 8:30 last night needless to say I had hoped my numbers were higher but it also showed me that for the first five minutes I didn't push as hard as I could have, I have got to get out of my own head thinking I am not going to make it to the end. Anyway FTP was if I remember correctly 147 lactic was 154. I will have to go back in to dbl check but close enough. I really liked using it, it beats riding and trying to keep looking at my watch to make sure Iam where Iam supposed to be!

Have a great day everyone!
2014-01-31 7:23 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

The above diet appears to me you are attempting to lose weight at the same time you're marathon training.  If this is the case it could likely be hurting your performance by your average daily caloric intake.  Training for these long course events, and having a high training volume in general, depletes your body of all sorts of important nutrients throughout the training cycle.  Therefore it become really important to make sure the right types of foods are consumed to replenish and recover to keep on training.  And becomes increasingly important to taper and recover properly the closer you get to the race.

We'll all be rooting for you on Sunday!!  Remember that the day is about successful completion of the race and having fun.  If having fun means suffering to you, then by all means suffer.  But if crossing the finish with a smile on your face and the desire to meet and kiss your girls is your goal, then finish with a smile and enjoy the victory with your family.

2014-01-31 7:38 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by Jo63

Thanks I do already breath like that, I just cant seem to keep my arm extended, it just immediately drops, I will check out swim smooth and try to video my swim. On a side note, I did my 20 minute test for trainer road last night I probably shouldn't of did it yesterday but I couldn't wait to try it out! I woke up at 3:30 after getting only 5 hrs of sleep then I didn't do the test till 8:30 last night needless to say I had hoped my numbers were higher but it also showed me that for the first five minutes I didn't push as hard as I could have, I have got to get out of my own head thinking I am not going to make it to the end. Anyway FTP was if I remember correctly 147 lactic was 154. I will have to go back in to dbl check but close enough. I really liked using it, it beats riding and trying to keep looking at my watch to make sure Iam where Iam supposed to be! Have a great day everyone!

A video would be very helpful to complete a more accurate assessment.  

How do you extend your arms above your head?  Do you cross over your head or do you extend your arm across the centerline of your body.  Proper form is to extend directly above your shoulder, keeping your hand relatively flat (parallel to the water).  TI teaches that you should allow your arm to enter the water at a slight downward angle to help promote keeping your legs and hips higher in the water behind you.  I think one of the videos points to this but I am not sure right now.

Your FTP test through TR should help you tremendously.  Even if it's off  target slightly there will be some solid work handed to you.  Now that you have an FTP test the next one will show you some targets, which it a huge help when you are looking at your numbers from an older test.  Being able to see where you were during the last test provides the visual reference point to assist in increasing your FTP or staying at the same level.  Just remember that the testing targets are how you performed last time NOT what TR thinks your new FTP will be at the end of the test..........SO GO HARD!!

2014-01-31 8:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
USERNAME: tmoons Name: Terry Moons

STORY: I am 56 years old. I recently got into triathlon about two years ago. Failed miserably in my very first triathlon – didn’t get out of the water… got freaked out swimming with people and kicked, etc… I hyperventilated and did not finish. I made a vow that I would finish every event after that. About a month later I finished ironman Miami 70.3.
So, last year I tried to race every month, whether it was the Pan American masters Open Water in Sarasota, Swim Miami, open water, marathons, half marathons, triathlons, aqua-bikes, Long distance cycling, whatever I could do to build a strong base and get “mentally fit.” I actually made the podium on a timed Mile event and the final sprint triathlon in December.
That was all to get ready for this year when I can begin to really push myself. My goal is to go to Grand Rapids for the USAT long course (70.3) National Championship

FAMILY STATUS: Married for and have a 16 y/o son. They both try to run a 5k each month. My son did an “open” distance tri last January, he like s to bike and in on a local swim team when it’s not marching band season or Scouting events (he’s currently working on his Eagle Badge)

JOB: I’m a Criminal defense attorney in South Florida. I do Federal and State work. My wife is my partner and we have a very nice niche practice built up over the years.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently working out about 8-12 hours a week. I’m in a build phase. So my normal week is Monday off. Tuesday 30 min Bike with some heavy gearing/30 min run off the bike with half marathon pace, later a 30 minute swim; Wednesday, Strength, Bike 1:00 – intervals work / 1:00 swim interval work / Thursday – 1 hour run, tempo and intervals / Friday Strength – 1hr bike with intervals with heaving gearing / 1 hr swim with lots of shorter interval work. / Sat 1houtr swim, 1 hour bike, 30 min run / Sunday 1 hr tempo/interval run.. On my day off, and sometimes Sundays, I go and do Martial Arts work out, wing chun kung fu. Ive been doing Martial Arts for over 30 yeas and really enjoy it. I also enjoy ultra running, so i try to fit that in every so often....

THIS YEAR’S RACES: registered to date (may be one or two more in October)
January HITS 140.6, Naples FL
Feb 7-8 Ragnar Miami- Key West relay
Feb 15 Ironhorse 50mile run
Feb 22 Fakahatchee 50k run (Everglades Ultra)
March 22 Clermont Challenge Sprint Tri
March 23 Clermont Challenge Olympic Distance Tri
March 29 Croom 50 Mile Fools run
April 19 Swim Miami 5k open water swim
June 8 – Grand Rapids Tri 70.3
June 29 Challenge Atlantic City 140.6
August 3 NYC Triathlon Olympic Distance

LAST YEAR’S RACES:
February Club Med 2575 sprint tri
March- Clermont Olympic Aquabike
April- Nautica South Beach Triathlon classic distance.
May- Rocketman FL 70.3
May- Ironman FL 70.3
June- Motivation Man 70.3
July- NYC Triathlon
August- Loggerhead Sprint Triathlon
September- Escape Miami Olympic Distance
October - Clermont Great Floridian Ultra Aquabike
December- Naples Sprint Triathlon

Some other events were about 4 13.1, a December Marathon, Pan American Masters Swimming Championships, Several RUSA and RAAM cycling events …..

MY BIGGEST SUCCESSES: participating and making lots of friends.

WEIGHT LOSS: not really…. I’m 168-172. Changed my eating in September and dropped 30 lbs…. so I’m back to where I have been most of my life.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I have no ego and will listen and incorporate anything that will help me perform better, physically, spiritually, mentally and will appreciate any tips for balancing family, work and training, etc….. I'll also share some things that have helped me
2014-01-31 10:07 AM
in reply to: tmoons

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Originally posted by tmoons USERNAME: tmoons Name: Terry Moons STORY: I am 56 years old. I recently got into triathlon about two years ago. Failed miserably in my very first triathlon – didn’t get out of the water… got freaked out swimming with people and kicked, etc… I hyperventilated and did not finish. I made a vow that I would finish every event after that. About a month later I finished ironman Miami 70.3. So, last year I tried to race every month, whether it was the Pan American masters Open Water in Sarasota, Swim Miami, open water, marathons, half marathons, triathlons, aqua-bikes, Long distance cycling, whatever I could do to build a strong base and get “mentally fit.” I actually made the podium on a timed Mile event and the final sprint triathlon in December. That was all to get ready for this year when I can begin to really push myself. My goal is to go to Grand Rapids for the USAT long course (70.3) National Championship FAMILY STATUS: Married for and have a 16 y/o son. They both try to run a 5k each month. My son did an “open” distance tri last January, he like s to bike and in on a local swim team when it’s not marching band season or Scouting events (he’s currently working on his Eagle Badge) JOB: I’m a Criminal defense attorney in South Florida. I do Federal and State work. My wife is my partner and we have a very nice niche practice built up over the years. CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently working out about 8-12 hours a week. I’m in a build phase. So my normal week is Monday off. Tuesday 30 min Bike with some heavy gearing/30 min run off the bike with half marathon pace, later a 30 minute swim; Wednesday, Strength, Bike 1:00 – intervals work / 1:00 swim interval work / Thursday – 1 hour run, tempo and intervals / Friday Strength – 1hr bike with intervals with heaving gearing / 1 hr swim with lots of shorter interval work. / Sat 1houtr swim, 1 hour bike, 30 min run / Sunday 1 hr tempo/interval run.. On my day off, and sometimes Sundays, I go and do Martial Arts work out, wing chun kung fu. Ive been doing Martial Arts for over 30 yeas and really enjoy it. I also enjoy ultra running, so i try to fit that in every so often.... THIS YEAR’S RACES: registered to date (may be one or two more in October) January HITS 140.6, Naples FL Feb 7-8 Ragnar Miami- Key West relay Feb 15 Ironhorse 50mile run Feb 22 Fakahatchee 50k run (Everglades Ultra) March 22 Clermont Challenge Sprint Tri March 23 Clermont Challenge Olympic Distance Tri March 29 Croom 50 Mile Fools run April 19 Swim Miami 5k open water swim June 8 – Grand Rapids Tri 70.3 June 29 Challenge Atlantic City 140.6 August 3 NYC Triathlon Olympic Distance LAST YEAR’S RACES: February Club Med 2575 sprint tri March- Clermont Olympic Aquabike April- Nautica South Beach Triathlon classic distance. May- Rocketman FL 70.3 May- Ironman FL 70.3 June- Motivation Man 70.3 July- NYC Triathlon August- Loggerhead Sprint Triathlon September- Escape Miami Olympic Distance October - Clermont Great Floridian Ultra Aquabike December- Naples Sprint Triathlon Some other events were about 4 13.1, a December Marathon, Pan American Masters Swimming Championships, Several RUSA and RAAM cycling events ….. MY BIGGEST SUCCESSES: participating and making lots of friends. WEIGHT LOSS: not really…. I’m 168-172. Changed my eating in September and dropped 30 lbs…. so I’m back to where I have been most of my life. WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I have no ego and will listen and incorporate anything that will help me perform better, physically, spiritually, mentally and will appreciate any tips for balancing family, work and training, etc….. I'll also share some things that have helped me

I vote we let him join the group......we might need his services

Seriously, welcome.  It looks like you are a racing maniac with a nice challenging line up for this year.

2014-01-31 10:24 AM

User image

Now, with that said, do you complete your own workouts or are you part of a class?  If you're not part of a class and you are simply spending time on a spin bike some adaptations can take place to get you more focused.

More specifically, both types of workouts are part of a good cycling plan.  Completing these types of workouts will develop both a stronger endurance engine and a more capable, efficient and stronger cyclist.  Having the proper targets can be determined by completing a few test but they are very brutal.  Heart Rate (HR) plans are a method by which training zones can be determined and proper training targets achieved

I am doing Spinning Classes at the gym. I have found several instructors that like and find riding with others motivational. The classes are random so it varies between endurance and interval type stuff and I never know what I am going to get. This was a particularly good workout. She called it Tabata, I had never heard of it before, thank goodness for Google.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/429676774

FYI… DCRainmaker is giving away a $400 credit to Clever Training by RANDOM drawing, all you have to do tell about a cold run, swim or ride that you completed this winter. Must enter by Sunday at Midnight.
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/01/because-coldand-januarygiveaway....

I really enjoy reading Ray’s reviews of fitness technology. If you have not checked him out, I recommend checking him out.

I just am now using a FR620 and love it!
2014-01-31 10:52 AM
in reply to: jfought

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

A couple comments on other questions that have come up:

I don't remember who asked about pre-race food, but my favorite meal the morning of a race is oatmeal, a banana, and coffee. I also make sure I give
myself plenty of time to digest. Sometimes I might even get up and eat and then try to sleep for awhile longer. For my long runs (50k) I eat a little more in the morning, and then graze on whatever solids sound good at the moment and supplement with gels if I feel like I need more, or even gels with a little caffeine toward the last 5 miles or so. My longest triathlon to this point is the oly distance, so nutrition during the race is more traditional triathlon fare with Heed, H2O, Gels.

Swimming: I only have one thing to add to Dirk's advice about breathing during the swim. No one likes breathing on both sides because one side always feels easier and more natural, but it's really important to learn that skill AND practice it. Breathing to both sides (even during training) will help to prevent any muscle imbalances and it's a very helpful skill in open water swimming when you need to see buoys or other swimmers to site and stay on course.

For me, I'm currently working on trying to gain a little speed on my 5k distance run. Last year I completely focused on long distance running. So, SLOW SLOW SLOW running. I did accomplish my goals and completed 6- 50k trail races, but I think all of my fast twitch muscles shriveled up and died.  Being stuck in the midst of this polar vortex has made it necessary to use the treadmill much more than I would like, so I'm trying to make it as worthwhile as I can.  I've been running for 30 minutes to get good and warmed up and then doing speed intervals.  I'm running for 2 minutes at 7mph (fast for me) and then resting before the next interval.  I'm working to reduce the "rest" period.  I started with 1 minute rests and last night just reduced them to 45 seconds and did seven intervals instead of six.  Hoping it will pay off. 

2014-01-31 11:37 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by jfought

Originally posted by tmoons USERNAME: tmoons Name: Terry Moons STORY: I am 56 years old. I recently got into triathlon about two years ago. Failed miserably in my very first triathlon – didn’t get out of the water… got freaked out swimming with people and kicked, etc… I hyperventilated and did not finish. I made a vow that I would finish every event after that. About a month later I finished ironman Miami 70.3. So, last year I tried to race every month, whether it was the Pan American masters Open Water in Sarasota, Swim Miami, open water, marathons, half marathons, triathlons, aqua-bikes, Long distance cycling, whatever I could do to build a strong base and get “mentally fit.” I actually made the podium on a timed Mile event and the final sprint triathlon in December. That was all to get ready for this year when I can begin to really push myself. My goal is to go to Grand Rapids for the USAT long course (70.3) National Championship FAMILY STATUS: Married for and have a 16 y/o son. They both try to run a 5k each month. My son did an “open” distance tri last January, he like s to bike and in on a local swim team when it’s not marching band season or Scouting events (he’s currently working on his Eagle Badge) JOB: I’m a Criminal defense attorney in South Florida. I do Federal and State work. My wife is my partner and we have a very nice niche practice built up over the years. CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently working out about 8-12 hours a week. I’m in a build phase. So my normal week is Monday off. Tuesday 30 min Bike with some heavy gearing/30 min run off the bike with half marathon pace, later a 30 minute swim; Wednesday, Strength, Bike 1:00 – intervals work / 1:00 swim interval work / Thursday – 1 hour run, tempo and intervals / Friday Strength – 1hr bike with intervals with heaving gearing / 1 hr swim with lots of shorter interval work. / Sat 1houtr swim, 1 hour bike, 30 min run / Sunday 1 hr tempo/interval run.. On my day off, and sometimes Sundays, I go and do Martial Arts work out, wing chun kung fu. Ive been doing Martial Arts for over 30 yeas and really enjoy it. I also enjoy ultra running, so i try to fit that in every so often.... THIS YEAR’S RACES: registered to date (may be one or two more in October) January HITS 140.6, Naples FL Feb 7-8 Ragnar Miami- Key West relay Feb 15 Ironhorse 50mile run Feb 22 Fakahatchee 50k run (Everglades Ultra) March 22 Clermont Challenge Sprint Tri March 23 Clermont Challenge Olympic Distance Tri March 29 Croom 50 Mile Fools run April 19 Swim Miami 5k open water swim June 8 – Grand Rapids Tri 70.3 June 29 Challenge Atlantic City 140.6 August 3 NYC Triathlon Olympic Distance LAST YEAR’S RACES: February Club Med 2575 sprint tri March- Clermont Olympic Aquabike April- Nautica South Beach Triathlon classic distance. May- Rocketman FL 70.3 May- Ironman FL 70.3 June- Motivation Man 70.3 July- NYC Triathlon August- Loggerhead Sprint Triathlon September- Escape Miami Olympic Distance October - Clermont Great Floridian Ultra Aquabike December- Naples Sprint Triathlon Some other events were about 4 13.1, a December Marathon, Pan American Masters Swimming Championships, Several RUSA and RAAM cycling events ….. MY BIGGEST SUCCESSES: participating and making lots of friends. WEIGHT LOSS: not really…. I’m 168-172. Changed my eating in September and dropped 30 lbs…. so I’m back to where I have been most of my life. WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I have no ego and will listen and incorporate anything that will help me perform better, physically, spiritually, mentally and will appreciate any tips for balancing family, work and training, etc….. I'll also share some things that have helped me

Seriously, welcome.  It looks like you are a racing maniac with a nice challenging line up for this year.

UHH!  Speak for yourself Jayne!  Everyone can tell you're the gangsta with that bandana in your profile pic.  I'm as pure as the driven snow and many people can attest to that.

2014-01-31 11:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

UHH!  Speak for yourself Jayne!  Everyone can tell you're the gangsta with that bandana in your profile pic.  I'm as pure as the driven snow and many people can attest to that.

Of course those "many people" are unknown and have yet to step forward!

2014-01-31 12:01 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Hey everyone,
I spent last week in Florida and got to run outdoors 4 times (in shorts), and swim outdoors 3 times.    It was awesome and amazing.  Then, I had to come home.  I'm trying to take this polar vortex thing in stride, but I'm ready to be able to get out on the trails!  I've been able to maintain a bit of a base in swimming, and a solid base for my run, but my biking has been pretty non-existent.  No worries.....plenty of time!  I've been doing a lot of yoga this winter and enjoying it very much.  I will probably continue with it through February and then take a break to free up more time for my other training. 

I'm signed up for a very hilly trail half marathon at the beginning of April.  4,000 feet of elevation change.  Any suggestions on how to prepare for run hills when I don't have any hills to train on?  I'm thinking I should spend some time on the stair climber.  Thoughts?

Chris,  welcome to the group.  Congrats on your weight loss and your marathon.  Love your enthusiasm.

Hills! I always love the question about how to train for hills (cycling) when a person lives on the flat land. The real answer is to just train to be as fast a time trialist as you can. Your legs don't know the difference between pedaling hard up a hill and pedaling hard straight ahead! And roads are designed for cars so super short, punchy climbs don't really exist.

But for running it might be a bit different. Certainly you can get by as a road runner without training hills specifically, but you will be at a small disadvantage on the up hills over people who have trained them....and I would speculate it's only a small amount and that it's only due to a lack of strength in the specific muscles used more on uphills. Does any extra strength in the glutes and calves give you an advantage in a hilly half marathon? (trick question....the answer is NO). The strength doesn't because, if you use that strength you are burning more oxygen/glycogen and that's no advantage. It's identical to just throwing in a surge in the middle of your HM, which is a pacing error.
HOWEVER, the specific training of the glutes and calves CAN make them more EFFICIENT so that when you do come to an uphill, it takes a little less out of you than it otherwise would. Not much, just a little.

BUT! When trail running it's an altogether different beast. If the trail run is in a mountainous region (and all the fun ones are!), then you will have short and steep and broken climbs to do in very large numbers throughout the run. And a lot of those up hills will be very, very similar to running up a staircase (one filled with rubble). And that is often in such frequency that specific hill training is valuable.

So, I suggest developing the specific muscular strength you will need for hills. Here are some ideas to get you started.
- Run stairs. Perhaps a high rise building? Office building? Stadium steps?
- Stair climber machine in the gym, but make sure your machine's setting and duration make it a good workout (this doesn't work calves properly tho)
- Vertical leaps. Lower down to a squat position, then leap high in the air. Continuously do this 15 seconds on, 30 seconds off. As you progress, increase the time on and/or decrease the time off.

What I've written doesn't go in to any of the technique of running hills or the tactics of how to pace them.

An anecdote...I have not been doing strength training for my legs over the last 2 years because the tri training has been too rigorous to handle it. But I began again in November. In a hilly 5k I raced last weekend I could feel a noticeable difference when the uphills came around. It was nice. I'm a bigger guy and just accept the fact that I will fall back on the up hills (I also don't increase my exertion on up hills like most others do). I just enjoy catching everyone on the down hills. But this time I didn't fall back relative to those running around me, in fact I even moved up against many. (these were those short punchy types of climbs I mentioned earlier).

Hope this helps.
2014-01-31 12:03 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Checking ini

January has been hectic and awesome. Managing a gym and seeing all those people with New Year's Resolutions is awesome. I know that a very small percent will stick with their resolution and I will keep inspiring them everyday that they come in.

I have not been able to stick to my marathon training plan as I had hoped and the flu is the biggest reason why. The flu hit me hard on New Year's Eve and I started running about 10 days later.... The last several runs have felt great, except for my last long run.... I developed a blister at mile 9 and had to stop at mile 13. I know I have done the best I can under the circumstances and am now trying to rest, rest, rest.

It seems as though you are saying you have had some wonderful long runs when you have eaten a hearty meal the day before. But that you have had bad long runs when you carb loaded the night before?

What's the difference between eating a hearty meal and carb loading? I kind of think of those as the same thing.
2014-01-31 12:07 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Originally posted by Jo63

• Jeff I have been meaning to ask you about your nutrition? You mentioned macro/ micro nutrients, are you juicing?

Jo, not juicing but I am getting a lot more vegetables in my diet now.
    I'm going out of my way to eat healthy most of the time. I'm focusing more on what I DO get than what I DON'T get. To explain that....I am not overly concerned with REMOVING junk food from my diet, just adding nutritious food. The junk food is decreased of course, because now my stomach doesn't have room for all of it.

I'm not eating Vegan, Vegetarian or Organic. But I'm eating a lot more of the things those diets would include.

Juicing is a really great way to make it easier to get large quantities of those valuable nutrients though.

2014-01-31 12:14 PM
    in reply to: JeffY

User image

Master
    Columbia, TN
    Matt (Mambos),

Did you ever get an answer to your seat position question?
    Whether or not you can get your seat further forward will depend on your seat, seat post and seat clamp type. Can you send a picture of that area of your bike?

On my tri bike, I am so far forward (about the 5cm limit) that with the 78 degree STA, I needed an adapter to move my seat forward beyond the seatpost's limit. It's a device that Quintana Roo had developed for this purpose to go with their seat posts.

But if your bike takes a round seat post, you really would be better off with a fast-forward seat post. But you can sometimes turn a round seat post 180 degrees to get some more distance out of it.

2014-01-31 12:16 PM
    in reply to: mambos

User image

Veteran
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Originally posted by mambosYeah, I think I should of prepared for this tour of sufferlandria a little better. I am already over 5 hours for the week, and my legs are cooked. I am to the point I can no longer reach the target outputs! Derek how are you surviving?
    I've been doing most of the workouts at 90-95% however I try and ride above the targets. I though my legs were actually getting used to the daily suffering but this morning with Angels and Hunted back to back I was hurting. Did them both at 95%. It was 4 o'clock in the morning so I guess I can use that as an excuse. I'll be glad when the last two rides are over. Last week I did more hours on the bike than I ever had, and I'm going yo pass it this week, lol. I'm away all week for work, so the break will be nice. But it just means I have to start increasing the running again. I hope everyone else is getting some good training in.
    2014-01-31 12:35 PM
    in reply to: JeffY

User image

Expert
    Mastic Beach, NY
    Jenn good luck this weekend with your marathon. You've trained hard for this one and like Dirk said go out there have fun and finish. Anything else will be icing on the cake especially this being your first one. I also think you'll suffer whether you want to or not, it just comes with running that distance. When that times comes just think of what's important to you and keep moving forward. You'll do great and you know all the Junkies will be rooting for you. With the nutrition just do what you've been doing in your training.

JoAnne bike intervals are the perfect way to develop mental toughness. For me I just don't think about anything other than pushing as hard as I can during the workouts. When the body wants to quit I keep pushing on. The body is usually willing to cooperate it's the mind that is the thing that wants to give in. As important as the physical training is you should also be training yourself mentally especially with IMWI looming. Besides you'll redefine the defintion of hard, what you thought was hard really isn't. You'll see

Jayne I've been doing the same with my running as well. I've been using my outseason to focus on getting faster with my run so I've been doing speed intervals according to the plan I'm following now. I do 2x1/2 mile or 2x1 mile for example at threshold pace. I'm not a fast runner either but I am finding that while these workouts are brutal at times that I do have some speed in me that I didn't realize I had. I know this is really not going to help me at all for my training for Ironman Mont Tremblant as my friend told nobody is thinking at mile 20 of there IM run that they wish they had more speed but I'd like to improve my overall pace so I can cut time off my run and be faster in the shorter distance races.

Jeff what about training for hills on the treadmill? Is that not as good as what you have suggested or are those ways that you've mentioned just better?
    2014-01-31 1:22 PM
    in reply to: strikyr

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Tx
    Terry - welcome to the group. Is your job part time? That is a full schedule of races and training... ha. Do you plan to go for a full IM at some point?

Chris, Terry and anyone else without your name in your signature, please add it if you get time. I cant speak for everyone else, but I have the worse memory and I stink at remembering screen names with real names... ha.

2014-01-31 2:33 PM
    in reply to: pistuo

User image

Expert
    Mastic Beach, NY
    Will, Terry already did an iron distance triathlon this past January. He is an Ironman! Gotta agree with you that is a full schedule. I look like a slacker when compared to mine.

2014-01-31 6:53 PM
    in reply to: tmoons

User image

Veteran
    Redding, CA

Welcome to the Junkies, Terry, this is a great group.

2014-01-31 6:59 PM
    in reply to: JonnyVero

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Sidney, Ohio
    So January is coming to an end, how did everyone do on the training front? I have done fairly well at getting a good base set up in run and bike, but continue to forget about swimming. My HIM plan starts at the end of February so I will start adding in the swim to be ready. Here are the totals:

Swim: 1150yds

Bike: 285 miles

Run: 106 miles.
    2014-02-01 6:01 AM
    in reply to: mambos

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Originally posted by mambos

So January is coming to an end, how did everyone do on the training front? I have done fairly well at getting a good base set up in run and bike, but continue to forget about swimming. My HIM plan starts at the end of February so I will start adding in the swim to be ready. Here are the totals:

Swim: 1150yds

Bike: 285 miles

Run: 106 miles.

Matt I think we need a swim challenge I only swam 2400 yards
    2014-02-01 6:05 AM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Welcome Terry!!! Wow that is a lot of racing that's awesome!! And good luck to your son, my oldest is an eagle scout and that is a great accomplishment it has helped him in many ways, and he is actually in his last semester of law school

Edited by Jo63 2014-02-01 6:15 AM
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 32

RELATED ARTICLES
    date : December 22, 2011
    author : Nancy Clark
    comments : 0
    Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
    author : alicefoeller
    Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
    date : January 27, 2011
    author : Mark Sunderland
    The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 17, 2011
    author : Anderleka
    Top suggestions for making the most of your off-season.
    date : December 7, 2006
    author : BobbyMcgee
    By gradually running for increasingly longer periods on a softer surface, you will learn the technique and come to realize the benefits in injury prevention and speed.

date : October 23, 2006
    author : mikericci
    comments : 1
    This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their run. The athlete must be able to run for at least 1 hour and should be able to complete 4 weekly run sessions.
    date : October 2, 2005
    author : KevinKonczak
    comments : 1
    So which one is best for you? It boils down to the aforementioned questions only you can answer and, ultimately, to what extent you will use it as a tool for winter cycling fitness.

date : January 30, 2005
    author : Glenn
    Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.