BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2014-01-28 7:40 AM
in reply to: Kate_r

User image

Northlake, Texas
Subject: RE: McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED)
Originally posted by Kate_r

Hi all,

I'm trying to stay off the scales at the moment, it has quite a disastrous effect on my mental well being so I'm trying to stick to once a month and just be satisfied with sticking to the calorie deficit. It's working well so far, in fact better than I've ever know it before (touch wood). I am missing knowing if I'm doing the right thing and getting results though so measurements could be the way forward.

I signed up to my 'big' race last night, the idea is both filling me with dread and excitement. The swim will be OK and the run will depend on how well the bike goes but the bike has a massive big climb in the middle of it. I am trying not to beat myself up over the lack of quality training (mainly caused by work getting in the way) and to focus on the fact that I'm sticking to my nutrition plan, have logged for about 22 days in succession and stuck to my calorie target. Nutrition (and weight loss) is going to make the biggest difference for me so I need to make sure I stick to the plan.

Kate

Great job sticking to your calorie target for so long! =) I've just recently started monitoring my intake and it has been challenging. Keep up the good work.

Don't worry too much about the scale, you'll know that you're doing the right thing when your swimming, biking and running comes easier. While it may be nice to be thin, strong & fit is the new skinny ;-)

2014-01-28 8:12 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

any suggestions for a cheap swimming lap counter? I can never keep count in my head.
2014-01-28 8:25 AM
in reply to: fadullium

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Kate,

Congratulations on the consistent effort to watch your nutrition.  It's also good that you recognized how weighing frequently was impacting your mental health and so you stopped that unhealthy behavior too. 

Signing up for a race should be both exciting and overwhelming.  You have time to train and be ready for the race, so use that race commitment to keep you motivated to swim-bike-run. 

2014-01-28 8:42 AM
in reply to: el penguino

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by el penguino any suggestions for a cheap swimming lap counter? I can never keep count in my head.

What are you typically trying to do to swim?  How consistently do you swim? 

If you're trying to swim 500 or 1000 yards continuously, it can be hard to keep track of laps.  If you're swimming 6x100, it may not be so much tracking "laps" as much as tracking intervals/repeats (is this the 4th repeat or the 5th?

You can break up your swim to make it easier to remember.  Instead of swimming 600 yards (12 laps) straight, swim 150 yards front crawl and 50 yards breastroke and repeat that 3 times.  You don't need to count higher than 3. 

You can take a bag of pennies and move/flip one per lap or one per interval.  If you take a water bottle, you can move it around.  Start with it on the right lane line, then move it next to the outside of the block, then to the inside of the block, then to the other inside of the block, then to the other outside of the block, then to the left lane line.  This lets you track 5 laps/intervals. 

Check with the lifeguard, but you can probably use the floats on the lane lines.  Slide them away from the wall, and then slide one float towards the wall each lap/interval. 

If you swim consistently, you can use the pace clock.  When I was swimming regularly, I'd pay attention to time.  If I was swimming 500 yards, I knew it would take me 8:00--8:30 for 10 laps and each lap would be 9-12 seconds less than a minute.  If I lost track of laps, I'd check my time and know where I expected to be to guess which lap I'd just finished. 

2014-01-28 9:28 AM

User image

Originally posted by McFuzz

Originally posted by el penguino any suggestions for a cheap swimming lap counter? I can never keep count in my head.

If you're trying to swim 500 or 1000 yards continuously, it can be hard to keep track of laps.  If you're swimming 6x100, it may not be so much tracking "laps" as much as tracking intervals/repeats (is this the 4th repeat or the 5th?

You can break up your swim to make it easier to remember.  Instead of swimming 600 yards (12 laps) straight, swim 150 yards front crawl and 50 yards breastroke and repeat that 3 times.  You don't need to count higher than 3. 

You can take a bag of pennies and move/flip one per lap or one per interval.  If you take a water bottle, you can move it around.  Start with it on the right lane line, then move it next to the outside of the block, then to the inside of the block, then to the other inside of the block, then to the other outside of the block, then to the left lane line.  This lets you track 5 laps/intervals. 

Check with the lifeguard, but you can probably use the floats on the lane lines.  Slide them away from the wall, and then slide one float towards the wall each lap/interval. 

If you swim consistently, you can use the pace clock.  When I was swimming regularly, I'd pay attention to time.  If I was swimming 500 yards, I knew it would take me 8:00--8:30 for 10 laps and each lap would be 9-12 seconds less than a minute.  If I lost track of laps, I'd check my time and know where I expected to be to guess which lap I'd just finished. 

I'm working on swimming 3 times a week. I like the pennies idea- cheap for sure! Not consistent enough yet just to do by time, and I really have a hard time keeping track in my head- I just forget what number I am on, even if it is just more than 2 times. Mainly just looking for something to click or tap at the end of each lap. thanks!
2014-01-28 10:38 AM

User image

Northlake, Texas
Well, I just wanted to let everyone know that I FINALLY bit the bullet and signed up for my first event, looks like this is REALLY happening. I'd like to thank Mike for pointing me to Off-Road Tris (who knew there was such a thing). This one is a bit later in the season (mid-August) so it may not be my first event but its the first I've signed up for!!! WOOHOO

Oh, and here's the link ;-)
http://www.charlottesvillemultisports.com/CMS/XTERRA_Information.ht...

2014-01-28 11:43 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by fadullium Well, I just wanted to let everyone know that I FINALLY bit the bullet and signed up for my first event, looks like this is REALLY happening. I'd like to thank Mike for pointing me to Off-Road Tris (who knew there was such a thing). This one is a bit later in the season (mid-August) so it may not be my first event but its the first I've signed up for!!! WOOHOO Oh, and here's the link ;-) http://www.charlottesvillemultisports.com/CMS/XTERRA_Information.ht...

When I saw Charlotteville, I thought NC and that I'd be able to drive over to meet you IRL. 

2014-01-28 11:54 AM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

3 more days and I can sign up for my OD too!!! I'm counting hours

2014-01-28 12:11 PM

User image

Chelmsford, England
Originally posted by el penguino

I'm working on swimming 3 times a week. I like the pennies idea- cheap for sure! Not consistent enough yet just to do by time, and I really have a hard time keeping track in my head- I just forget what number I am on, even if it is just more than 2 times. Mainly just looking for something to click or tap at the end of each lap. thanks!

I cant keep track for my laps so I put my water bottle on the grate that lets the water fall through, then after each 50m moved it 1 bar across.

I have just bought one of these though

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Palm-Click-Clicker4-Digit-Hand-Tally-Numb...
2014-01-28 12:13 PM

User image

Chelmsford, England
as were posting about races entered I thought id add mine

I signed up for my very local challenge and local sprint. I have also signed myself and her indoors up for a 10k lol she is well pleased. lol
2014-01-28 1:16 PM

User image

Originally posted by el penguino

One thing that helps me count is to remember odd and even lengths. Going down the pool is always odd and coming back is always even. This helps me if I am trying to remember if it is length 3 or 4 for example. I find that counting lengths instead of laps is easier.

2014-01-28 2:39 PM
in reply to: annplumley

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Indeed, i just count 1, 2 ,3. Its way easier and if you forgot if you are at 4 or 5, one side is indeed always even and the other is odd. And in case of doubt, take the number which is lowest. That way, if you are wrong, its extra hidden training :D

I just remembered i got subscribed in a Bike + Run event the 16th of february. Its not a duatlon. You start with two ppl and you or your partner has to run the first 800m alone. After that, you come into the changing zone. From then on, you and your partner are together but one the team is always on MTB. And you can change as much as you want to. So you are basically running very fast intervals and then hop onto the bike and try to rest while your partner next to you is running his lungs out. 50% off road. I'm curious how this will work out. Sounds like a lot of fun though. And of course a good training. 10km in total.

800m = 0.49 miles

10km = 6.21 miles

2014-01-29 2:06 AM
in reply to: Tridimi

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Quick question: about 4 out of 5 times i bike to work. Its 13km/8miles from my home to my work. so 16miles/day I ride with my city bike and normal clothes tough i keep a good steady pace. Can or should I consider this as training too?

2014-01-29 3:30 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England
Originally posted by Tridimi

Quick question: about 4 out of 5 times i bike to work. Its 13km/8miles from my home to my work. so 16miles/day I ride with my city bike and normal clothes tough i keep a good steady pace. Can or should I consider this as training too?

Definitely !!

I bet by the end of it your puffing a little.
2014-01-29 5:01 AM
in reply to: Jynxy

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Not really, I try not to sweat to much because i don't want to start working all sweaty. :D I'll start registrating my actual bike times from now on with my smartphone and add the bike rides from the first of january till now.

2014-01-29 6:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Originally posted by fadullium

Well, I just wanted to let everyone know that I FINALLY bit the bullet and signed up for my first event, looks like this is REALLY happening. I'd like to thank Mike for pointing me to Off-Road Tris (who knew there was such a thing). This one is a bit later in the season (mid-August) so it may not be my first event but its the first I've signed up for!!! WOOHOO

Oh, and here's the link ;-)
http://www.charlottesvillemultisports.com/CMS/XTERRA_Information.ht...

Yay! Well done, sure you'll love it!

2014-01-29 9:44 AM
in reply to: Jynxy

User image

Northlake, Texas
Originally posted by Jynxy

Definitely !!

I bet by the end of it your puffing a little.

hmmm

I would say it depends on your goal(s)

If you're trying to lose weight and closely monitoring your caloric intake and activity then definitely! A slow/medium paced 8 mile commute should get your into the lower levels of zone 2

If your focus for is power and speed training (and you're not doing any on your commute) I'd say you can leave it out =)
2014-01-29 9:49 AM

User image

Northlake, Texas
When I saw Charlotteville, I thought NC and that I'd be able to drive over to meet you IRL. 

Oooh!! Maybe one of these days I can find a race farther south ;-)

Originally posted by Kate_r
Yay! Well done, sure you'll love it!

THANKS! I hope so! =)
2014-01-29 10:20 AM

User image

Elite
Hi friends! I am alive and kicking! I think I have beat whatever crud was keeping me down. My energy is back and I am so excited to get back to my training schedule. Here's a deep thought question I'm hoping you all can help me with. I have been stuck in a cycle that I am bound and determined to bust through once and for all. I seem to have trouble allowing myself to succeed in my weight loss/training goals. I get soooo close to where I want to be that it's almost like it freaks me out and I sabotage myself. The closer I get to my goal-- whether it's preparing for a race or a number on the scale--the more I fear that success. I'm tired of that. I work so darn hard but then feel like I don't deserve the reward in the end. Can anyone relate to this struggle ? I don't have a huge weight loss goal by any means, but when my body truly starts to look lean and athletic it freaks me out. For the record I'm 5'0" and around. 128. When I am below 125, that's when I feel the strongest, healthiest, and leanest but I get scared of that power I guess. I sure hope this is making sense. I'm hoping to find a new way to view my success.
2014-01-29 10:46 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I'd count it as training (and I did when I commuted to/from work in Utah).  I know another BT'er who gets most of his bike training by commuting. 

2014-01-29 12:24 PM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Well, i put it as training. Any activity that makes your heart rate goes faster and makes you sweat, even if it is a bit, is training to me.

Today is rest day. Sore throat and rain outside makes me stay inside and go to bed early.

2014-01-29 1:39 PM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by ingleshteechur Hi friends! I am alive and kicking! I think I have beat whatever crud was keeping me down. My energy is back and I am so excited to get back to my training schedule. Here's a deep thought question I'm hoping you all can help me with. I have been stuck in a cycle that I am bound and determined to bust through once and for all. I seem to have trouble allowing myself to succeed in my weight loss/training goals. I get soooo close to where I want to be that it's almost like it freaks me out and I sabotage myself. The closer I get to my goal-- whether it's preparing for a race or a number on the scale--the more I fear that success. I'm tired of that. I work so darn hard but then feel like I don't deserve the reward in the end. Can anyone relate to this struggle ? I don't have a huge weight loss goal by any means, but when my body truly starts to look lean and athletic it freaks me out. For the record I'm 5'0" and around. 128. When I am below 125, that's when I feel the strongest, healthiest, and leanest but I get scared of that power I guess. I sure hope this is making sense. I'm hoping to find a new way to view my success.

Kim,

Thank you for opening up on this topic. 

You say you feel strongest and healthiest when you're below 125#.  What does this allow you to do?  Those things are your reward and you absolutely have earned it when you achieve it.  More importantly, it is within your control, and you need to accept gracefully that success just like you did earning your teaching degree and other accomplishments in your life. 

I may add more later. 

2014-01-29 3:57 PM

User image

Can't believe I've actually gone 2 days without doing anything (working out wise) It's been really cold and life/work is a little stressful right this sec. Tomorrow will be better in both temp and hecticness, so I'm going to run tomorrow. I have a feeling it'll feel really good to get back out!

Also the wheels for my bike have been shipped, we have the frame (Hubby loves it) and we're getting various other parts together. Now I need a trainer!

We have a stretch of about a week so far forecast that looks like I'll be able to get out running every day. I'm thrilled! starting tomorrow, at least.
2014-01-29 4:07 PM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Make sure to show us some pics of your new gear when its finished!

2014-01-29 6:04 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by ingleshteechur Hi friends! I am alive and kicking! I think I have beat whatever crud was keeping me down. My energy is back and I am so excited to get back to my training schedule. Here's a deep thought question I'm hoping you all can help me with. I have been stuck in a cycle that I am bound and determined to bust through once and for all. I seem to have trouble allowing myself to succeed in my weight loss/training goals. I get soooo close to where I want to be that it's almost like it freaks me out and I sabotage myself. The closer I get to my goal-- whether it's preparing for a race or a number on the scale--the more I fear that success. I'm tired of that. I work so darn hard but then feel like I don't deserve the reward in the end. Can anyone relate to this struggle ? I don't have a huge weight loss goal by any means, but when my body truly starts to look lean and athletic it freaks me out. For the record I'm 5'0" and around. 128. When I am below 125, that's when I feel the strongest, healthiest, and leanest but I get scared of that power I guess. I sure hope this is making sense. I'm hoping to find a new way to view my success.

Kim,

Thank you for opening up on this topic. 

You say you feel strongest and healthiest when you're below 125#.  What does this allow you to do?  Those things are your reward and you absolutely have earned it when you achieve it.  More importantly, it is within your control, and you need to accept gracefully that success just like you did earning your teaching degree and other accomplishments in your life. 

I may add more later. 

You sure got me thinking on this one, as you always do when I have a question like this.  Your question regarding my success and what does it allow me to do seems to be a mixed bag of answers.

Being at my best training weight allows me to:

Have awesome training sessions where I feel strong and powerful

Wear anything I have in my closet without having to wonder how tight they'll be this week

Walk with a confident pep to my step

Feel and know that I look fit

BUUUUUT...

it gives me attention "You look so good, what are you doing?  You're so thin...how did you do it?"  But people want to hear a magic bullet.  They don't want to hear talk of training sessions and lean protein and veggies.  I don't know how to respond.

I *feel* like I get the dagger eyes from female coworkers--'look at her thinking she's all that'

And there are days where I honestly feel like I should apologize for feeling and looking good.  Before triathlon I was in the group of always complaining and commiserating with other women about those last 15 pounds.  Now those pounds are gone and I don't know what group I belong in!

I do feel sassier in the last few months though...like dammit, I'm 43, I train my tush off, I look better than I ever have in my life--I should revel in it.  But then I get all wussy about it and go back to the above negatives.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 21

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38001 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : January 1, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.
date : January 24, 2005
author : Michael
I heard an athletic trainer say that in life we have many setbacks. The key is to overcome these setbacks, but the question is how?

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.