BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2014-06-10 9:49 AM
in reply to: sljackso

Subject: RE: first official training ride
Originally posted by sljackso

How do I get from a 13 mph pace to 16 mph. Thank you. Suz

I would agree with the above post. Its time in the saddle. Just keep riding weekly and your avg pace will climb as the weeks go on.

2014-06-10 11:52 AM
in reply to: Mr10670

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed
awesome job!! :-)
2014-06-10 11:54 AM
in reply to: shanehurley497

must admit....only been on a bicycle 3 times since training,but i am so competitive it kills me to take the slow way up.....darn it!
2014-06-10 11:58 AM

User image

Right on Mike! And it sounds like you have good motivation for the next one - well done.
2014-06-10 12:08 PM
in reply to: sljackso

User image

I'm by no means a speed demon, but I find high cadence is very important for both speed and endurance. When your legs try to pump through the bigger gears at a low cadence (~60 rpm or ~ 1 round per second), it creates a lot of muscle tension and fatigue on your quads. At a higher cadence (~100 rpm or ~1.5 rounds per second) you can focus more on muscle balance between quads and hamstrings while maintaining a high speed. I try to think small circles with my feet (pushing and pulling using your clips) while engaging my core muscles to make sure I'm balanced position over my pedals.
2014-06-10 1:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Mr10670

All:

I am happy to report I completed my first Triathlon on Sunday, and survived!

I finished with in 1:50:35. A bit slower than I liked, but under my goal of 2:00:00 ( actually just to finish was the goal, but a time goal was a good place holder).

I learned a lot, also, I have a better understanding of what I need to work on as far as fitness goes. But most importantly: I have a blast and I want to do this again! I need to really focus more on core and bicycle. I had a great swim minus swimming into the exit dock, but once on the bike, I felt uncomfortable and others were blowing by me with ease. I see the discussion about aero bars, but the more i think about it, Todd is right. It's the engine that needs work. Once off the bike my back and sides started to hurt, and had to walk some of the run leg. I finished strong, and now know what to look for on the next event.

Thanks to all here for advice and inspires, in this group and previous groups. This site is such a tremendous resource! Thank you!

Mike

Great job on the Tri Mike, and your are right, it should be more about the journey than the time. Thanks also for sharing the experience and what went right and wrong during the race. Again, Congrats Triathlete

2014-06-10 10:17 PM

User image

Hi Mike

Congratulations on completing your first Tri. Great effort.

When's the next one?

Rod
2014-06-11 2:56 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Well done on the tri, Mike! I hear you re: core and bike, they are weak spots for me also, you really notice it when you're struggling on the bike and everyone is whizzing by. At least it gives us something concrete to work on!

2014-06-11 9:12 AM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: New Distance PB and Swim workout question
I swam 1000 meters straight this morning. Wow. This is the best I have done. I was slow but I never stopped. I avg 2.40m/100 which is turtle speed (guess I'm in the right mentor's group haha), but I did it. Very good feeling. Thanks for the advice earlier in the treads... It helped. Now to get to 1500m

Thanks,

Shane

Edited by shanehurley497 2014-06-11 11:31 AM
2014-06-11 12:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by shanehurley497

I swam 1000 meters straight this morning. Wow. This is the best I have done. I was slow but I never stopped. I avg 2.40m/100 which is turtle speed (guess I'm in the right mentor's group haha), but I did it. Very good feeling. Thanks for the advice earlier in the treads... It helped. Now to get to 1500m

Thanks,

Shane

Great Job Shane, and as stated before don't worry about the speed it will improve as the distance endurance improves. One thing that I also found that helped me was to try to go really slow and relaxed at the start. Sometimes we feel great at the start and go harder than we thing we are, which in turn expends to much energy and cost us distance on the back side. Again Great Job!
2014-06-11 3:54 PM

Brilliant Mike. Well done! And thanks for sharing - it's good to hear how people do!

Edited by Natflute 2014-06-13 6:58 AM

2014-06-12 8:05 AM

User image

well, I meant to start biking today, I really did! DH and I work int he same building, so we can trade rides- I'll bike one way, he bikes the other, and not have to bring tons of crap on the bike. It works well. However, no go. I was getting ready to go- and hubby was backing the car out the garage, all set to start, but my tires are rubbing funny- I managed to catch him before he left- turns out one of my spokes broke!! Luckily, he's my bike mechanic, so he's fixing it while taking the kids to piano lessons, so hopefully I can ride home.

(he's not actually a bike mechanic, he's a physics professor, but he knows bike and built this one for me)

Edited by el penguino 2014-06-12 8:06 AM
2014-06-12 8:07 AM

User image

if that is turtle speed, I must be a slug!! I hope we both improve as we get more swimming in!
2014-06-12 3:27 PM
in reply to: el penguino

User image

No worries Nancy/Penguin, as long as we all stay afloat and get across the water, speed doesn't really matter at this point.

I like the bike work to work plan, that will be a great way to sneak in a daily workout.
2014-06-13 7:04 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

I'm a slug when it comes to speed too, but that's cool with me, I'm a beginner and I'm learning soooo much! I'm loving it! I've been seriously thinking about how I will feel if I come completely last in my sprint tri in 6 weeks, and I'm sure I'll still be elated - it's about going from nothing to a sprint tri, and that's cool, slow or not!

My wetsuit has arrived :-) I'm very excited. It fits, thank goodness! So tomorrow I'm off to the coast to give it a try - wanted my first swim in it to be in the sea. Can't wait. I think the temp will be around 12C so pretty chilly. I'll check back in tomorrow or Sunday and let you know how it goes.....
2014-06-13 7:31 AM
in reply to: Natflute

User image

Wow, 12 C (54F) is very, very.... very cold. Good luck, let us know how it goes!

2014-06-13 7:32 AM
in reply to: Natflute

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Natflute

I'm a slug when it comes to speed too, but that's cool with me, I'm a beginner and I'm learning soooo much! I'm loving it! I've been seriously thinking about how I will feel if I come completely last in my sprint tri in 6 weeks, and I'm sure I'll still be elated - it's about going from nothing to a sprint tri, and that's cool, slow or not!

My wetsuit has arrived :-) I'm very excited. It fits, thank goodness! So tomorrow I'm off to the coast to give it a try - wanted my first swim in it to be in the sea. Can't wait. I think the temp will be around 12C so pretty chilly. I'll check back in tomorrow or Sunday and let you know how it goes.....

Yes, it will be great regardless of where you finish and truthfully you will have way more people cheering for you finishing last or near it then MOP (Middle of Pack).

As far as the wetsuit congrats and super pumped that it fit. One thing that I must say though, Swim Buddy, Swim Buddy, Swim Buddy and O'ya, Swim Buddy. Don't ever swim by yourself, especially at the coast.
2014-06-13 7:41 AM

My swim buddy will be on the beach, watching carefully, and I won't be going far out. (That's my partner Jeff).

Next weekend I have a different swim buddy in the form of my brother, who will be in with me :-)

Thanks for the comments and encouragement guys!
2014-06-13 9:39 AM

User image

Good morning everyone!

So for the past week or so I've had a lingering, dull pain in my back right thigh. It doesn't hurt to the touch or anything, just in general a little, and especially after a work out. After spinning today I actually limped a little.

Usually when my muscles are sore because of working out, they hurt to the touch but this is more like a dull ache. Feels weird. Thoughts?
2014-06-13 10:03 AM
in reply to: janjan1981

Question: Every night my wife and I walk somewhere between 3-5 miles together. I do not count this in my logs. I have counted a few scheduled recovery walks in my log because I feel those were apart of my "workout", but not the nightly walks. We have fitbits and she is very competitive with our friends. We have about 10 people that all have fitbits and compete on 7 day averages. Thoughts?
2014-06-13 1:40 PM

User image

good week so far- I've gotten in 3 swims, and 2 good runs, and a couple easy runs with boy1 (my 11 year old) now I just need to add in my bike- starting tomorrow!

How is everyone else doing?

2014-06-13 1:41 PM
in reply to: janjan1981

User image

Have you ever injured your back? Sometimes lower back pains can manifest as dull pain in the hamstring area.

Regardless of the diagnosis, at least try to back off of any activities that are aggravating it.
2014-06-13 1:45 PM

User image

Shane,

Those walks are great and do make a difference, but it's really up to you what you want to log. The fitbits seems like a great way to get everyone into working out.
2014-06-13 1:59 PM
in reply to: cassowary

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I was not motivated enough to go work out on my own this morning. I need to do something to get a workout on my log today!

Maybe I will do a 13 workout for Friday the 13th (in any order):

13 pushups
13 sit-ups
13 crunches
13 second plank
13 squats
13 lunges
13 burpees (what is wrong with me! I hate burpees!)
13 tricep dips
13 jumping jacks
13 mountain climbers
13 high knees
13 bridges (holding each for 13 secs)
13 Russian twists

Substitute any exercise you want. Seriously, I just made this up but it sounds like a plan!
2014-06-13 2:01 PM
in reply to: Lovey

Lovey,

Go for it. Sounds like fun!!!

Shane
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Rss Feed  

of 23

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.
date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.