Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2007-03-04 10:43 PM
in reply to: #633528

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Betsy's Group - FULL
Hey guys....

Carrie-- sorry about your crash... Sounds painful. Neosporin!

My race was awesome! It was SOOOO MUCH FUN!

Swim: Swam (and ran) in my skinsuit. I had originally said I would swim in 18:00, but even though I felt I was dying during the swim, I finished in about 17:00. --And yes, I did ONE flip turn, right before my last 25 yards; the rest were open turns-- hey, I like my oxygen.

Transition: For having never done a transition before, I think it went well. I climbed out of the pool and toweled off my feet, threw on socks and shoes, and started running as I took off my zebra-stripe swimcap and goggles and put on my hat (it was noon and hot!)

Run: It took me the whole first mile for my running muscles to "wake up." My arms were absolutely NUMB from swimming, and I was really breathing hard for not going so fast. I finally warmed up a bit and picked up my pace to the IT-band-pain threshold. I had to walk due to knee pain for a few seconds about half way, but once subsided, I was off running again.

I finished the whole thing in 46:11, which is a sub-10-minute mile pace for the 3 miles. Woot!

Speaking of being injured: my knee didn't hurt me too badly during the run, but afterwards, as I was walking around cleaning up the course, either the IT band or something deep within my knee would pinch very suddenly. The pain was that incredibly intense "white-light" pain- I can't think of how else to describe it. Each time (while I'd be simply walking), the pain would make me stop and double over, and actually make noise "Ah!" (It wasn't exactly "crying out" in pain, but it was enough for me to be unintentionally vocal about it.) I have to go see a sports therapist or sports doctor about it. Thoughts?

Edited by cbirchrun 2007-03-04 10:44 PM

2007-03-05 5:58 AM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

oooh, that bike crash sounds scary!  Glad you had someone there to take care of you...

Awesome race!  That is a smokin run time.  Is the pain on the outside of your knee? does it hurt especially going down stairs?  Could definitely be your ITB. ice, rest, and lots of stretching, you have many more kick-booty racse ahead of you!

2007-03-05 9:13 AM

User image

Regular
Weekend was busy. The weather turned windy (40 mph) and biking was impossible. I loath biking in high winds. So needless to say, I did not get a ride in as planned, but I had a BLAST watching my 5 year old play his very first t-ball game. There is nothing cutter than little ones trying to catch balls and running to 3rd base instead of 1st base. I was a very proud Mom!

I posted this on my training log as a sport but not sure that cleaning house for 3 hours officially qualifies as a workout. However, I worked up a sweat, climbed up and down the stairs a dozen or more times and bent over to pick-up toy, after toy, after toy....so much so my legs hurt after it was all over. With 3 boys at home (husband included in the count) cleaning house is quiet the aerobic workout.

My week is crazy but planning on 4-5 full training days. I'm taking a swim class starting this coming Saturday. This will give me the opportunity to swim with other women that are training for their fist triathlon, and it will provide me with 2 opportunities to swim in open water....something I really need! Although I've been swimming for a few months now, I felt it was time to get involved in a group atmosphers that can provide encouragement, support and accountability. I tend to work better with others around me.

Gotta run and start my day. Blessings to all!
2007-03-05 5:40 PM
in reply to: #711218

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-03-05 5:41 PM

2007-03-05 6:23 PM

2007-03-06 3:02 PM
in reply to: #712517

betsy - 2007-03-05 6:23 PM

Ok team! This months focus for me is speed work with my running and lots and lots of time on the saddle. The bike is always weak for me so I am going to try hard to focus on it to make some improvements. Anyone want to follow suite..lets do it!

OK, you're on...in fact I already did some speed work without mind-reading...participated in swim sprints on Sat, then did some 60-sec bike sprints on Sun. Will try to add sprints to 1 workout a week.

Folks, sorry I've been away. Christina--congrats and ouch! Hope your knee is mo bettah. Hollis--welcome and keep it up. I felt like a complete slug my first few weeks of running but it does come back. Carrie--hope your knee heals fast.

Regarding paddles, Dana, I believe Terry Laughlin said that they are no-nos because of potential injury. He did say that if you use them, to get the swiss cheese kind so they're not so hard on the shoulder. He also advised against kick boards since they put they body out of alignment. One of the group coaches in my masters swim group gave me a drill:

Arms at side, kick normally while rotating the body from side to face down to other side. Stay level by pressing your chest down till you find your balance point. Breath normally if possible or just come up for air whenever you need to. I do this now whenever they call for a kick set (helps with my technique--or lack thereof).

Uh-oh...I missed a workout last night due to shear laziness! Yes, I was busy. Yes, I was tired. But I've been able to work through those issues before. You guys, I can't quit. Other than 6 months of track before I had to quit to take a job, I have never been able to sustain a serious workout regimen for more than 3-4 months. I can't let that happen this time...I want to stay committed. I'm so glad you guys are around for accountability! Thanks!

Hope everyone's workouts are great this week. I'm definitely swimming tonight. Going for 1300m total.

Rene
2007-03-06 9:17 PM

Champion
Wisconsin
aaaagh! I have shin splints!  Anyone wanna trade legs? Looks like its time to get some swimmy in....
2007-03-06 9:35 PM

Hey Possum,

Here's my classified ad:

FOR TRADE:

One 28 year-old right leg, AS IS, very short and in need of a tan. Suffered multiple dislocations back in high school and survived knee surgery. Has been riding bikes, swimming and running. Recently experienced a bad bike wreck and was jabbed with a stick and the knee cap slipped out of place again. Tight IT band. Very swollen, but is not willing to sit around and suffer. Has great potential to be a stand out leg during races.

Hope everyone is doing good! I am going to live vicariously through y'all for the week.
2007-03-06 9:38 PM

2007-03-07 7:49 AM

Ok all this talk about legs .........hmmmmm

Actually if I were to trade my legs does that mean I would have to shave them first....lol.

2007-03-08 6:23 AM
in reply to: #714352

2007-03-08 4:30 PM

OK, folks, since it's a bit quiet around here, I'm going to offer up my easy money-saving home-made energy drink. I cobbled this together from a variety of recipes I read on the web.

2/3 cup (or less) Kool-Aid type mix*
1.5 teaspoons Lite Salt**
Gallon of water

*the kind with sugar already in it--this recipe makes the kool-aid half-strength
** Morton Lite Salt contains all the electrolytes you'll need after a workout including Sodium, Potassium and Calcium

I happen to have an empty Hawaiian Punch gallon container lying around so I prepare it in there and store it in the fridge. You can easily cut it down, though. This stuff ends up being way cheaper than Gatorade, etc.

Enjoy!
Rene
2007-03-08 4:31 PM

Ok everyone......I remember begining on here and wondering what the hell am I doing. I will have to say all of you are such inspiration. I really mean that from my heart. I get upset that I miss a day or two here or there but I have to tell you, I am amazing myself in the gym. This afternoon I went to my gym and began lifting.....which if you look at my log was a good lift. I had been doing Chest,tris, shoulders on days of my swim. So I deciced to switch that to bike and run day. Hopefully that will make my swimming easier. I have been pushing myself hard on the treadmill afer biking and today was amazing. For you that remember when I was complaining about how I couldnt get a mile in. Well look at me now .......lol.......I am amazing myself. I ran 3.11 today in 32.59. And that was after biking 11.8. Ok I am not on the snickers marathon team here but I feel like I am. Without all of your support and friendships I dont know if I could accomplish what I have done here. This website is awsome, even guys at the fire dept are starting to notice my physical changes and have been asking about this website. Ok I guess I have rambled on enough........Thank you to all. And all of you rock........I couldnt have joined a better group......xoxoxox
2007-03-08 9:09 PM

Champion
Wisconsin

yeah, and what will the guys at the firehouse say when they see your freshly shaved legs struttin around in lycra? 

I actually put my fat a$$ in the pool. It felt great!  Nowhere near the yardage I used to do, but I wanted to get out before I got too miserable.

Keep at it cowgirls and boy! 

2007-03-08 9:47 PM

2007-03-09 8:31 AM

Regular
Eric, soooo proud of you. I do remember your comments about running and it is amazing how far you have come. I love to read everyones training logs...I get so inspired. Betsy, I took your sprint challenge and ran my last mile this morning at a sprint pace. It about killed me but felt good once I was done. Endorphins are a wonderful thing, if time permitted, I would have kept going.

I start another swim class tomorrow morning and am excited to work with a team of other women who are at the same level as me...all are training for the Danskin Tri. I decided that I would do better training with others then alone. Following the swim, I'm going to get in a 12 mile ride. I need to work on my transitions from swim to bike.

I'm headed to a conference next week in Shreveport, LA. so it's going to be quiet from the shefner domain. Good news is the hotel is a resort establishment with an awesome gym and heated pool so I have no excuse to miss a run, bike (on the trainer), or swim.

In Texas we spring forward into daylight savings time this weekend so our days are longer (will get dark after 8:00 pm). I've been waiting for this change! More daylight means more hours to train outside....woo hoo!

2007-03-09 10:43 PM

2007-03-11 7:55 PM

Regular
OH MY GOD, I LOVE THIS SPORT!!!

I finished my first tri in 1:20:00!!!

Race report to come!!

--> Hey, how is my time, Bets? For a first tri, I mean.. I definitely want to cut off more time.. Once I do more bricks, I'll have a chance of running --really running-- my normal 5k speed.

Edited by cbirchrun 2007-03-11 7:56 PM
2007-03-11 8:01 PM
in reply to: #719224

2007-03-11 8:28 PM

Champion
Wisconsin

That is a totally fab time!
 COngrats, you addict!

2007-03-11 11:09 PM
in reply to: #719224

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh

cbirchrun - 2007-03-11 8:55 PM OH MY GOD, I LOVE THIS SPORT!!! I finished my first tri in 1:20:00!!! Race report to come!! --> Hey, how is my time, Bets? For a first tri, I mean.. I definitely want to cut off more time.. Once I do more bricks, I'll have a chance of running --really running-- my normal 5k speed.

That's EXCELLENT Birch! I've been doing a little pre-research on my planned 1st race to see what time I need to get my race done in so I could take a little piece of hardwar e home..wink wink ....etc.... the #1 elite woman had a finish time of 1:07 last year... so if that tells you anything. you're fabulous! this was on a moderate level course w/ an open water swim. so. anyways.. i'm excited for you . congrats!

2007-03-12 5:00 PM

Hey girls.....first of all you all are awsome........I get oxygen magazine, good article this month on the Xterra off road triathlon circut. Sounds kewl, not to promote magazines, but there are some really good articles in this thing. I hope everyone is having a great week. Not too bad here, I have had some great lifting workouts. Who can keep up withme? My butt/hip is starting to feel better. The weather has hit a balmy 64 today. I wish I could go run.....Im itching to go out there.....have a good week.....xoxoxoxo your handsome boyfriend...
2007-03-12 10:23 PM

Hey, guys!

Just wanted to share that this is the first night that I really felt like I'm becoming a runner again! Previously, I've been dragging my body through the workouts but tonight I felt like I was flying (I was still slow but felt great!). I ended up running more than walking for the first time since I started back up again!

Hope everyone's workouts are going great.

Good recovery, Eric!

Have a good week, everybody...
Rene
2007-03-12 10:47 PM
in reply to: #720805

Regular
annecy83 - 2007-03-12 9:23 PM

Hey, guys!

Just wanted to share that this is the first night that I really felt like I'm becoming a runner again! Previously, I've been dragging my body through the workouts but tonight I felt like I was flying (I was still slow but felt great!). I ended up running more than walking for the first time since I started back up again!

Hope everyone's workouts are going great.

Good recovery, Eric!

Have a good week, everybody...
Rene

Awesome Rene!! Running = <3

And, RACE REPORT POSTED! Woo
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Betsy's Tri-BAMFs Rss Feed  

of 27