BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Robmw2's Group--Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2007-05-03 6:18 AM
in reply to: #669112

User image

Subject: RE: Robmw2's Group--Full
Hans
Great race! Great race report. Congrats on all! Wow! what a way to top off the marathon.

2007-05-08 2:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Randers, Denmark
Hello - anybody here?

It’s a bit quiet here. How is everybody doing?

Here I Denmark everything is fine. It’s a bit windy this week, so I’ve only been out on the bike ones since I got home from Hamburg. But I’m not lying on the couch, right now I’m taking a commercial diving class in the afternoon, so I’m in the water all the time. Though not swimming, it’s still hard work.
Yesterday I was at the local triathlon club, a met most of the 15 members. The club is fairly new, but is increasing fast. 2 of the members are right now on their way to Lanzarote to do their first ironman. The coach is a former swimmer, who has trained together with my brother some 25 years ago. 10 of the members are doing the same Olympic tri that I had in mind. I can’t wait to get started with them.
Today it’s diving on my programme, but Wednesday I’m up to a race, “Intersport run”, a 10 km run nearby. Last Sunday I was scheduled for the “Fladbro run” but didn’t participate, I was too tired after the marathon and all that diving.

Regards from Denmark
Hans
2007-05-08 4:49 AM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Hey guys,

I've been training hard the last few weeks. My first tri is less than 2 weeks away. I'm starting to get a little anxiety. The training has definitely been a lot more than I thought it would be. Hopefully, I'll be prepared on race day. :-)
I've already signed up for a Sprint Tri on Father's Day and have my eye on a few more races.

I hope training is going well for everyone else.

Steve
2007-05-08 5:37 AM

User image

Glad everyone is doing well. I am slowly coming to the realization that I will only be participating in IM CDA in June and not racing. Had big hopes of being able to put in a good performance and race against some of my friends from other parts of the US. Between work and the kids I have only been able to do about ½ of my planned training. So I guess it will end up being one long training day for me with a little pain thrown in for fun. Steve both you and Mandi have your 1st tri’s coming up. You both should really enjoy the racing and the energy around the race. Hope that you both have fun. Hans my legs are still tired just thinking about all the run training and racing you are doing. Everyone have a great week.
Robert
2007-05-09 6:16 PM
in reply to: #792520

User image

Regular
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I'm dealing with some issues at work that are stressing me out to the point that my Dr prescribed .25mg of Xanex--but only enough pills to get me through May 24th (the last day of school). We all have stressful jobs, so I won't bore you with those details. I somehow managed to make it through the marathon with some sanity, but its been downhill from there. After I spent a week after school everyday laying on my couch until it was time to go to bed, I decided that I should probably talk to a Dr about it....On a positive note--I did manage to finish my master's degree and run a marathon so far in 2007.

I have really been going back and forth about doing the Tri this Sunday. I have no motivation. I am a group leader for my running group, so I do still somehow manage to get my butt out of bed every Saturday at 6am to run at least 4 miles, but that's about all I've been doing. I had already planned to make a weekend out of going over to Orlando to stay w/ my parents, so I'm thinking I'm still going to do it. I did get in one brick workout (bike to run) this weekend.

Its a super-sprint--440yrd swim, 9 mile bike, and 2 mile run. I am about 99% sure that I can take it easy, not worry about time, enjoy the experience, and not get hurt because I have some kind of fitness base. That's not to say that I think its an easy distance that doesn't need training.

Thoughts on that anyone?
2007-05-09 7:02 PM

User image

Mandi go for it. Just enjoy the event. There is no pressure so just go out and have fun. It is very normal to have some post event depression. Get out and have a great time this weekend. Take care.

2007-05-09 8:34 PM
in reply to: #795177

User image

Regular
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The Danskin website has a message about monitoring the smoke situation. How bad is it over there? And what about this named storm? Is there a chance that this event will be cancelled?

I just found out that its a 6am start. WTF??? I forgot that Disney does everything early as hell. The transition area opens at 4am. Wow, that should be fun.
2007-05-10 7:24 AM

User image

The smoke has not been to bad. A couple of mornings it was a bit smokey, but otherwise I have not had to change any of my outdoor training. Disney likes to get everything done quick so it does not disturd the mouse house. Good luck this weekend and have a good time.
Robert
2007-05-12 6:44 PM
in reply to: #795490

User image

Regular
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I'm a little embarrased, and pretty disapointed, but I have decided not to do my race tomorrow.

My heart has not been in my training (nor has my body for that matter!), and the truth is, May was a horrible time to try to do this! I'm so focused right now on getting everything done right for my students and for the 9 teachers who work under me, that I have hardly thought of anything else. I have eaten, and exercised like crap, and I'm taking medication to reduce work-induced anxiety. I knew when I got really upset about having to be at Disney at 4am that now was not a good time to introduce myself to the world of triathlon. The process is not, and should not be, a chore, and that was my cue that now is not the right time for me.

I'm ready to regroup, though. School will be out in 9 days, and I can get back to focusing on ME for once in a long time.

Stick with me, guys! I'll do this....but its going to have to be when I can physically, mentally, and emotionally do it right!!
2007-05-12 7:47 PM

User image

Mandi
Good move. If you can't enjoy the race it is best just to re-group and take some time for yourself. The races will always be there. Hopefully when school gets out your stress level will be down and you can enjoy your training again. Have a good weekend.
Robert
2007-05-12 8:32 PM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Mandi,

You should be proud that you made this decision and felt confident enough to come on here and tell us. You could have drifted away never to be heard from again. So, though your heart is not into this race it is evident that your heart is into accomplishing a triathlon on your terms. Good luck, and we'll be here for support whenever you need it.

Steve

2007-05-12 11:23 PM

hi everyone! I have been awol from the blog and my own blog lately! life is so busy sometimes that it's hard to fit it all in. I feel your pain, Mandy - I think life gets more stressful every year. I'm trying to learn about investing/real estate because I'm sick of the rat race and never getting ahead. That also takes time...

I have been training, but not as hard or consistently as I should be. My first tri is in 3 weeks and I'm anxious to get one under my belt to know what to expect. I have a goal of doing 3 this summer and I will make it. HAve started road biking w/a local riding group and it is awesome! So much fun to ride in a group. There is a "go fast" group at the front, I am usually able to hang with the group right behind the go fast group, so I'm happy! WEnt to Moab a couple of wknds ago to go mtn biking w/the husband. He is not a roadie :-)

Still struggling w/the weight issue. I feel like biking/swimming/running, etc. would be so much easier if I wasn't carrying around 20lbs but trying to cut out 500 calories a day seems like an awful lot of work! I know, I'm being very short-sighted and wanting that instant gratification but can't seem to get beyond it and change some habits. Why is change so hard sometimes?

Anywho - hope you all have a great week and enjoy your training.
2007-05-15 5:24 PM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Great job Erica,

I have my very first tri THIS Sunday. So, if the gods are smiling on me I will be able to call myself a Triathlete Sunday afternoon. I've already signed up for a Father's Day Sprint race and have my eye on a few others if everything goes well.

It's weird not doing a lot of training this week. I'm going stir crazy.
2007-05-17 5:13 PM
in reply to: #801910

User image

Regular
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Good luck this weekend, Steve!

Mandi
2007-05-18 4:49 AM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Thanks Mandi
2007-05-18 2:00 PM

User image

Steve good luck. Make sure and let us all know how it goes.

2007-05-20 6:54 PM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Hey guys,

I AM A TRIATHLETE!!!!

I finished in just under goal time of 3:30. I'll have the race report out in a few days. Let me just say that course was ALL hills.
2007-05-20 7:38 PM
in reply to: #808831

User image

Regular
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Awesome, Steve!!

All this time, I didn't realize you were training for an Olympic distance Tri....that is REALLY an accomplishment for your first time!!?? I guess I assumed since my goal was a sprint that's what every one else was doing too....

Congrats

on a personal note--me and a girlfriend when biking today...tried out an 11 mile paved loop with the road tires (got the mountain bike tires switched out!) and just for the hell of it, we ran 2 miles afterward. She's trying to talk me into a run/swim/run in June and I think I might do it.

Thinking about maybe getting on the wagon again w/ the Tri training....

(had to edit my grammar and spelling errors after I read what I had wrote!!)

Edited by mlbwalk 2007-05-20 8:15 PM
2007-05-20 7:40 PM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Thanks Mandi,

That's awesome that you got back out there. I look forward to hearing about your progress.
2007-05-21 5:54 AM

User image

Congrats Steve! Look forward to hearing the details.
2007-05-22 9:25 AM
in reply to: #808831

User image

Veteran
Randers, Denmark
Well done Steve!

Make sure you write a good long race report. (I need inspiration)
You have trained well and it paid off. Looking at your 2007 totals, I’m am way behind in swimming. Keep it up for your next event

Best regards
Hans

2007-05-23 3:37 PM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Thanks everyone.
Race report posted at:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

My next race is a Father's Day Sprint.
2007-05-24 4:20 AM
in reply to: #814069

User image

Veteran
Randers, Denmark
Good race report Steve, nice to read.

I haven’t been out running since my marathon, almost a month ago. This evening I will go for a 10km.
I can see, from reading Steve’s race report, that I need to do some race preparation training.
Friday I will attend the local tri club “change training” where we are changing between biking and running several times. Monday we are going to a small lake to try open water swim, many of us for the first time. I will also go to the ride the bike leg of my first triathlon, just to see what I can expect and not get surprised. All my equipment is ready, more than I can say about myself. But training are focused now, so I hope to be ready and prepared to my triathlon debut.

Best regards from Denmark
Hans
2007-05-24 6:51 AM

User image

Steve sounds like you had a great 1st race. I also have problem with the cramping on the swim, but always seems to reslove itself. Looks like you learned triathlon lesson #1 Don't go to hard on the bike. It is so hard not to because you feel so good at the start of the bike ride. Congrats again!
Happy training
Robert
2007-05-26 8:48 PM
in reply to: #814714

User image

Regular
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I am loving the road tires on the mountain bike. I want a road bike so bad!!!

I live in a 2 bd, 1100 sq ft towhouse though, and we don't really have a place for our mountain bikes....they end up upstairs in the spare bedroom or in the kitchen!

So....since the road bike is neither an option space-wise nor money-wise, I guess the road tires on the mountain bike is the best of both worlds.

Question--would I look like a total tool if I put triathlon-specific handle bars on my mountain bike? I can tell while I'm riding that I'm not in the perfect position for speed or comfort.

Edited by mlbwalk 2007-05-26 8:48 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Robmw2's Group--Full Rss Feed  

of 13