BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2007-05-30 8:14 AM
in reply to: #801361

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL

I'm doing good.  My back and neck feel good this morning.  My week has been crummy, but today's a new day and the sun is finally shining!  YIPPEE!  I took a nice easy yoga class last night and I think it really helped me stretch out my back.  The poses were very easy, long, deep stretches....good. 

I found a tri-training swim class for the summer!  It's 2 days a week and the coach will help me with an individualized program!  I'm very excited.  I use too much energy getting through the water because I'm not as vertical as I need to be.  I could tell a difference when I "stretched out".  I felt myself moving forward...more of a glide.  My tri is in 2 weeks!  I'm swimming and running this morning and then a spin class tonight.  I have a brick (bike/run) planned for Saturday morning and an OWS for Sunday afternoon.  I can do this!!!

Rich, I have to say you are a true inspiration.  Looking at your log and the miles you put in...wow!  It's making me want it more...

Angela

2007-05-30 9:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
I was off yesterday and spent the whole day cleaning my house. It was way over-due. Which means that I did not bike as I had planned to and am a bit bummed about it today. But I got a good run in (for me) on Monday and hours and hours of kayaking and horseback riding over the weekend -- plus my little river swim.

I'm catching up with what's been going on with you all -- so 3 topics jumped out at me that I have experience with:

1) Loss of motivation -- It has happened to me 3 or 4 times since December (including yesterday :-). It's often a mental thing for me. I take a day off and do something different (like clean my house); and then make an effort to get excited about training again (talk to other athletes, plan a fun training session, get on BT website).

2) Slow on the bike -- Yes, it gets better. Keep learning more. Keep practicing and give yourself some slack -- especially if you are just starting out on a bike! The rides will gradually get longer and you will get better at it. I suggest you find a riding club or go to the place you bought your bike and see if they have group rides. Ride with people who want to teach you stuff -- cyclist LOVE to share their wisdom. I learned A LOT from riding with better riders.

3) Weight issues -- Ugh.

"And we are NOT ALL EATING HEALTHY all of the time. After the Tour de Cure 42 mile ride Sunday I had a salad...then a slice of pizza...then Oreo cookies...then a Tastykake. Not good. I let myself get too hungry during the ride." -- Me, p.4

As long as I keep doing things like that and snacking on things I shouldn't too often, my weight loss will be slow or halted.

I try to remember that I am building a fit body and I can truck up hills on my bike that some skinny girls can't even walk up! And making helpful food choices more and more often will get me where I want to go. Keep at it!
2007-05-30 9:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
Cris I think we can all join you on the " not eating very healthy lately" I had a GINOURMOUs cream custard and almond ice cream, maaan it was soooo good. I had cheese left and right, and a lot of bread including a fussion of thai pizza.....so you are not alone in the not eating healthy weekend. pLus food is the cental topic with my friends since none of us have children, and we all come from different ethnicities, so its just like a united colors of Benetton commercial.

I also got unmotivated ,couldn't go spinning today since I had an early hearing and just work requires more time lately so it's either sleep or train.
I can't imagine how you guys can do it with work, husbands and children, i applaud YOU ALL and take my HAT OFF because THAT is by far the biggest inspiration!!!!

So guys, I say we keep at it, try and motivate ourselves Through BT and maybe going to barnes and noble on lunch break and reading a triathlon magazine, that always helps me. Plus Rich is the awesomest inspiration of all!!!

Weightloss- you know its like training, every little grain of decision like "maybe I wont eat that custard with brownie, lets just put some almonds instead" is a good decision( maybe not the custard, but hey that was my week long price)

Anyways guys, positive thinking!!!!!!!!!!! that is the key to life!
2007-05-30 9:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
I am trying to post two pictures...but I'm not sure this is going to work...

(Riding partners.jpg)

(MyBike.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Riding partners.jpg (48KB - 52 downloads)
MyBike.jpg (47KB - 58 downloads)
2007-05-30 9:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
You are right Caru! And today is a good day and I am eating to fuel getting to my goals.

The photos are two of my favorite riding partners -- my twin nieces, Ashley and Alyssa (don't ask me to say which is which).

And of my bike; Orca. LOVE that bike. It's not the fanciest or the best, but boy has it served me well. :-)

Edited by cmbcwb3 2007-05-30 9:54 AM
2007-05-30 10:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami

Edited by carustol 2007-05-30 10:15 AM

2007-05-30 10:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
OMG!! those pictures are BEAUTIFUL!!! I lovee your nieces they are sooo cute. They are sooo going to be triathletes after they see you compete!!! ha ha

I love your bike too. It's super cute and its got a bit of white which is supposed to be the colour of champions. I personally don't care much for white, but hey if its the color of champions then anything helps right!!? !

Yeah, lets kick that lack of motivation away, and say hello to my little friend- swim bike run!!!! weee haaaaaa.....

heres a pic of this weekend- don't be fooled by the empty plates, there was food there at one point!!!! ha ha
2007-05-30 11:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Christine and Caru:

GREAT thread of discussion. Your comments are "spot on".

It is true that we will experience a down time or low ebb in our training. There is a "cycle" if you will of moods that we experience. I do not think that they are related to physical aspects and happens to both men and women. (i.e. it isn't a female thing.) It would be interesting to note your down days in your log over several months and see if there is a pattern. I, too, have those days. I think Sunday was one of them, but someone how I muddled through a bike ride.

Eat?! I fight this continually (believe it or not!). Will power?!?...... None! Sooo, I just don't buy "junk". Drives my wife and son up the wall! But, now they are starting to make healthy choices. If there are chips in the house, they have a short existence. I think Caru and Christine are right that it is all about making "smart decisions" or "smart choices".

This is a GREAT place to come for motivation. If you are struggling, go ahead and say so! We can catch you or get you back up on your feet very quickly.

For those that are new to biking or "struggling" (which I really don't think any of you are .....it is more about just learning), Christine made the suggestion about joining a bike club or going to your LBS (Local Bicycle Shop) and seeing if they have a friendly ride / no drop ride or if there are people that help "newbies". Here in northeast LA County, there is a club of about 200 plus newer riders that have joined together. Many advanced quite quickly. Worth a look see!

Have a GREAT Day everyone!

Rich
2007-05-30 11:14 AM
in reply to: #821983

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Christine!

I agree! GREAT photos! Orca is a good name for your bike...... Also YingYang! The black and white reminds me of the Ying and Yang! :p

Now those twins are just tooooo adorable! (Little secret: I'm a twin, too! I have a twin sister.)

Rich
2007-05-30 12:30 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Staying motivated is challenging.  Everyday I have to make an effort to work out.  I literally write down what I plan on doing for the week so I can see it on paper.  Something always happens, and my plans get changed, but for me to have a schedule helps.  I think it's my OCD!  I'm also an elementary teacher so I like routines and schedules!  My mental tape in my head plays something like this...You're dressed and ready.  You have to go.  It will only be an hour of your day.  It's your time to be by yourself with no distractions.  ETC...

I stayed at the same weight for 9 MONTHS!  I knew I was getting stronger, but no weight change.  It's just been in the last few weeks that my weight has dropped.  I was so...well, pissed off that I couldn't lose weight.  Then it just happened when I least expected it.  Now I feel motivated to keep losing.  So like you guys, I'm just making better food choices....Heck, I even turned down a Braum's sundae with nuts and whipped cream on top of a chocolate brownie!  Today, I feel good.  I just have to remember this feeling to help me on the not so good days!  We can do this!!!

2007-05-30 12:34 PM
in reply to: #821983

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Christine, your nieces are ADORABLE!!! How wonderful that you take them out for bike rides - I know they just love it, and you're being an incredible example for them!  I love Orca, too - what a great name for a great ride!

I do really appreciate all of the motivation/information/encouragement/get-my-butt-going stuff on our thread. Seems like we have a really strong team of fantastic triathletes.  I'm feeling a lot more motivated today.  Probably more accurate to say that I've been taking my frustrations and getting mad about it, pushing me to make better decisions about my food and push harder on my training.  Trying to channel it all into a positive direction! Thanks, y'all, for being here - especially you, Rich!

2007-05-30 1:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
I do the same thing (make a schedule)! I tweak it a little based on the weather and my mood; but it generally helps me stick to fitting my training in.

What do you do about fatigue, Rich? (Trying to fit it all in; not getting enough sleep)

Edited by cmbcwb3 2007-05-30 1:52 PM
2007-05-30 2:04 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Hey Rich, question regarding swimming: 

I've had some great tips over the last 2 swims to help my form.  The plan that I'm following said not to worry about form just concentrate on distance.  I'm afraid if I keep swimming terribly then I'm going to have a difficult time correcting my bad posture in the water.  What are your thoughts?  endurance vs. form  Which first?

2007-05-30 2:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH, Angela!

1) Making smart choices
2) Using Self-Talk to get you to start the workouts
3) Creating a schedule
4) Loosing weight
5) Braum's sundae with nuts and whipped cream on top of a chocolate brownie!

Can you say (using soccer announcer's voice)

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRE!

Simply outstanding Angela!

Ya know, I started an effort literally for 30 days (many years ago)..... as soon as my feet hit the floor, I said to myself: "I'm going to have a GREAT day"!!!! Try it! It sets your mind in the right frame of reference. It sets the right frame of mind for interaction with family, friends, co-workers, and for your workouts! It is almost a self-fulfilling prophecy: If you think you are going to have a bad day, you will. Conversely, if you think you are going to have a good day, you will! Test it out! AND, I never miss giving my wife a kiss on her forehead before I leave the house and say "I love you" (.....she's usually still asleep at 4:00 AM in the morning!)

Rich

2007-05-30 2:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: FATIGUE
Good question about fatique and fitting everything in!

It is a balancing act I know, especially for those who have little ones! I'm fortunate that I have a 15 year old 6' 2" giant of a son who is self-sufficient, but needs his Dad periodically to talk about things.

I can only say that scheduling things out is the best way to get everything in! If you have a spouse (partner), talk to him/her about taking care of somethings. I do have to say there are priorities in life: 1) Family; 2) Everything else! I'd like to say that Triathlons/Training is the 2nd most important thing in life, but let's talk reality!

Your training is for purposes of conditioning the body and developing your body to perform in a manner that supports injury free results. A measure of how well you conditioned your body for your training involves how sore or lack of soreness you felt after your event. My personal opinion for those that are time challenged, would be to focus on technique versus volume of training, especially if you are doing a sprint triathlon. I think you have the conditioning for sprint distances already at a base level. The challenges that each of you face involve technique whether that be in swimming, biking or running.

Lack of sleep can be dangerous. It assists in mental fatigue, burn out, and depressions just to name a few of the side affects. We won't even mention falling asleep while driving due to lack of sleep. The medical term is Hyposomnia. Lack of sleep can also be associated with weight gain. (Hmmmmmmm.) The sleep cycles are critical in providing rest and time for your body to repair......Sleep = Good! ...... Lack of sleep = Fatigue = Bad!

Hope this helps! Question?????

Rich

2007-05-30 3:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: RUNNING TECHNIQUE - Links
I just love the internet! There is sooo much information available! Here are some articles on running. I like the first link in particular. The other URLs provide different information. Be cautious and make smart choices. I, personally, use the Chi Running Technique, but it takes time to master the technique. (I'm still learning all of the aspects of this technique).

http://running.about.com/od/running101/bb/beforeyourun101.htm

http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=11561

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1608/is_9_19/ai_106652958

http://www.thesportfactory.com/printer_72.shtml

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/pose-running-technique....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distance_running

Enjoy the extra reading!

Rich

2007-05-30 5:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Subject: RE: Eating Strategy

Hi, everyone!  Well...I got a body fat % calculated at the gym by a personal trainer today, and the results are worse than I thought - 30%.  Yuck!  At least I know where I am and where I want to be.  In my conversation with the trainer afterwards, she told me that I'm doing the right kind and the right amount of exercise to get where I want to be, but that the workouts are only a small portion of the overall picture.  She said that my eating habits are by far more important.

She is recommending what I think is a fairly simple plan for me to try for the next six weeks to see if I get some results. The plan is to eat six meals/snacks of 300 calories each exactly 3 hours apart. She says not to worry about carbs/protein/fat content very much, and not to deviate from the schedule if at all possible but keep the meals EXACTLY 3 hours apart.  I should make the healthiest food choices I can, but even a "bad" 300 calories (i.e. cheeseburger) is better than skipping a meal. The idea is keeping the metabolism going at a high rate without eating large amounts of calories at a single sitting.

So...I think I'm going to give this a shot and see what happens. Any thoughts or reactions to any of this? Anyone heard of this before?

2007-05-30 8:29 PM

User image

Houston
It sounds like everyone is in full training thats great!! I am recovering from the LONG WET memorial day weekend.
I am reading all of the questions and answers. They are many of my own questions. So whoever is reading my brain keep it up!!!

Here is one I kept deep in my brain.
When I ride my bike I sometimes feel like I am riding my bike around my block back when I was ten!!!! What can I do to think more speed and less "riding to the corner store???"

2007-05-31 12:16 AM
in reply to: #823124

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Eating Strategy
Hey Katz!

What did they use to measure your body fat %? If is was caliphers (pinch test) then you can anticipate a 2 to 3% error. The hand held device, you can anticipate a 3% to 5% error (based upon my experiene).

On the plan that the gym instructor talked about..... it is similar to what I've been proposing. They are proposing 6 meals vs. 5 meals, but the concept is the same...... small meals more frequently. My only concern would be the type of food. I would suggest that you keep some type of protein in each meal along with a carbo. BUT, if you go with the 6 meals while not really worrying about the type of food and it gets results, go for it!

Rich
2007-05-31 12:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Derek:

Hope you are drying out! I know ya'all need the rain in your neck of the woods .......

In answer to your question (When I ride my bike I sometimes feel like I am riding my bike around my block back when I was ten!!!! What can I do to think more speed and less "riding to the corner store???" ), ya need to just get out on the bike and ride. Start off with a distance you are comfortable with. Say 10 miles or 15 miles (?). And then just start increasing the distance. Add some little hills. Get use to gearing. Time in the saddle will help you increase your speed.

Hope this helps!

Rich
2007-05-31 7:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
Kat girl!!!

So honestly 30 is not bad. For me personally, it was uplifting to know that I have that much that I can get rid of , always look at the brighter side of things!!! he he.
I say YEAH to the plan. It will be better for you to plan ahead and stick to it. I have been trying to stick to Rich's 5 meal plan, and I think its really working. During the weekend, i had to have little meals here and there, b/c I couldn't last 6 hours without eating like the rest of the gang. Just be patient kat results will come.

So I weighed myself yesterday and I am 2 pound less than the normal 5 pound range and my body fat went down by 1.5%, which makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE. I ate like a pig for the last couple of days and hardly exercised....so I'm really confused with this whole weight thing....i think my scale might be going caput! I'm gonna just wait until I get it done in the Tri club this Saturday.

GUYS! i got fitted on my bike yesterday!!!!! It took him like 35 minutes, but it was every bit worth it!! After thaT i went home and practiced shoe clip on and off, on and off, with my lil bro' around the park!! It was absolutely FANTABULOUS!!!! I'm so excited now!!!
On Saturday I have my tri class I am super excited guys!!!1 yeyyyyyy .
gotta go appointments! love you allll .

2007-05-31 7:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Derek -- I am working on the very thing you are talking about. I ride a lot by myself and can tend to go a little easy on myself sometimes.

Some of my regular loop is hilly; I've done it many times and know what an "okay" pace is for me. Last night I made sure to make it 15 miles (distance of my race) with the goal of averaging 15 mph. With the hills and such, it's a decent pace to keep that ride at. In the end I did the ride in 1 hour with an average heart rate of 162 -- which means I rode at a decent pace. (Usually that ride is an average HR of 152.)

Paying attention to my speed helped me focus on always trying to go as fast as I could (without totally killing myself). Using the heart rate monitoring helps me varify my level of effort. (Very useful tool.)

I would pick a route that is good for you (that is convenient to do 2-3 times a week) and time yourself. Then once a week try doing it faster than your "normal" pace.

Rich -- What do you think is a good amount to try to increase your pace? Weekly or monthly?

Edited by cmbcwb3 2007-05-31 8:05 AM
2007-05-31 8:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Caru -- That's so awesome! You must be SO excited! Have a blast! You are going to love it and remember to be patient with yourself. Going to clipless pedals is weird at first but FANTASTIC! You FEEL the power of the up-pull when you hit those hills. :-)
2007-05-31 8:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Okay, Rich, I'm trying to wrap my brain around the calorie deficit thing -- because general "eat well", "make good choices" stuff doesn't push me enough...

I ate 1,795 calories yesterday. I burned @1,270 in my workouts. That's a calorie balance of 525 (without calculating how many calories I burn during the non-workout time). Is it safe to say that this puts me at a calorie deficit? Even if the rest of the day I only burn 2,500 during normal activities (you said the average is @3,500), I'm -2,000 for the day, right? Will this result in weight loss or it's still not enough?
2007-05-31 12:15 PM
in reply to: #823773

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - CALORIE DEFICIT CONCEPT!
You got the concept Christine! If you are not starving yourself, than the 2000 calorie deficit is OK. You will fluctuate between 1000 and 2000 depending upon the things that you miss (i.e. the spoonful of this or the spoonful of that) counting unless you are extremely percise in counting the calories.

Mind you the 3500 burned during a day is a guideline..... each person's metabolic rate (the rate they burn calories during the day differ). I happen to have a low metabolic rate. I burn between 2700 and 3000 calories during a normal day (without exercise). I consume 2000 to 2200 depending upon the day on average when I'm in heavy training, but try to use 1800 as a guideline. I have lost 18 lbs. since January 29 and gone from 22% body fat to 17.8% body fat.

If you want similar results, I would get a little notebook for a place to record everything you place in your mouth.....including that creamer you may use for coffee. Things you will need to eliminate two things in your diet if you consume them:

Coffee (especially the designer coffees like from Starbucks).
Soda - It creates a bloating sensation

Make sure to drink Water! As a side note, when you are feeling hungry and you are still in your three hour window between meals, drink water.

Questions?

Rich
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46